Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#668468 - Wed Nov 16 2011 12:40 PM Forum for New Team Leaders?
BrerSchultzy Offline
Participant

Loc: South Carolina USA
Howdy All!
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong place, but if I could find the right place, I wouldn't be posting here. So to speak.

Anyway, I have been a lurker here at FunTrivia for almost 5 years now. I used to be very active in my old team, but for many reasons I have decided to found my own team, based on my love for all things Disney.

I started the team just about a week ago, and haven't had a great deal of success in recruiting. I was wondering if there was a place that could offer some advice in building a team. I'm excited about starting a team that could be competitive.

Any suggestions?

#668484 - Wed Nov 16 2011 01:12 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: BrerSchultzy]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Did you already post a message on the Team Recruiting board?

#668500 - Wed Nov 16 2011 02:00 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: JanIQ]
BrerSchultzy Offline
Participant

I did. But as a new team, I imagine the next few months will be slow-going, until I build up the numbers to make the team more appealing to new members. I have to hope that a couple of people join, and then stick with the team through the next few months, even though playing on a bigger, more established team might be more fun.

#668501 - Wed Nov 16 2011 02:02 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: JanIQ]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Originally Posted By: JanIQ
Did you already post a message on the Team Recruiting board?
Yes, there's one on the 14th.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#668504 - Wed Nov 16 2011 02:07 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: BrerSchultzy]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Congratulations on your new team! It seems like a lot of work at first, but once going, I think you will be amazed how things kind of develop naturally. The key for us was to set short term goals for ourselves, including number of members, creating interesting chat categories and targeting a few games we wanted to do really well in as a team, and grew from there. In the end, it is completely worth it, and I enjoy the smaller, home-made team much more than any large team I was a part of.

#668551 - Wed Nov 16 2011 05:17 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubblesfun]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I agree with bubblesfun. We started with 12 of us last April and have grown to 25 as at today. We've never put a post on teams recruiting, people seem to find us. Pick on some games you want to do well at, once you start beating people other players will notice and will gravitate towards you naturally. To keep them you do need interesting chat boards - we don't ban any topics at all.

Good luck with it. A smaller team where you are all like minded and know each other is much more rewarding than a big one where some people never appear at all. Just remember the main thing is to keep it fun.

#668595 - Wed Nov 16 2011 09:53 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: Christinap]
BrerSchultzy Offline
Participant

Thank you all for your encouragement. Hopefully you'll be seeing us on the leaderboards in the coming year. Thank you so much!

#668825 - Thu Nov 17 2011 09:13 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubblesfun]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
Congratulations on your new team! It seems like a lot of work at first, but once going, I think you will be amazed how things kind of develop naturally. The key for us was to set short term goals for ourselves, including number of members, creating interesting chat categories and targeting a few games we wanted to do really well in as a team, and grew from there. In the end, it is completely worth it, and I enjoy the smaller, home-made team much more than any large team I was a part of.

We've come a LONG way since January. I don't think there's a team out there that has as much fun as we do. When the Board is buzzing and the team is winning, it's incredible feeling.

It was a lot of work and we've lost a few members, but I love where we're heading. It's been very gratifying.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#669157 - Sat Nov 19 2011 11:46 AM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: cubswin2323]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
There isn't a message board for team leaders, but perhaps a thread here could be used for that. Maybe this one smile And ideas could just be added to it over time.

#669824 - Tue Nov 22 2011 07:10 AM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: Terry]
BrerSchultzy Offline
Participant

So, as an update, I now have three others on my team, but none of them will post anything on the message boards, and I have sent them all PMs, but no responses. I'm also the only one playing any of the team games. I think I might be coming across as annoying (or desperate)....So far, I can say, if you plan on building up your own team, unless you are stealing from another team (which I refuse to do), it's a LOOOOONG process. I imagine it will be another year or two before you see us on the leader boards.

Lessons learned so far: Play the private tournaments, and stay active on the Chat Boards...helps stem the tide of loneliness (perhaps it's phrases like that that make me sound desperate).
Stalk the quizzes that are focused around the shared interest of your team, and see who is scoring well and who is writing a bunch of quizzes in that category.
Play all the Hourly games early, so as others play those games, they can see you and your team name (hopefully at the top of the Leader Board) as they see there scores.

#669825 - Tue Nov 22 2011 07:24 AM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: BrerSchultzy]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Hang in there BrerSchultzy. There are times of year when people just tend to get busy and less active. Our team is a small one and we have been around for a while, yet around the holidays, it feels like pulling teeth to get anyone to say anything on the boards. I'd keep posting interesting information and things that people might want to go and ready, after a bit you'll start getting more participation.

#669829 - Tue Nov 22 2011 07:44 AM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: shuehorn]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
BrerSchultzy, the second person to join your team doesn't have the ability to post on the team board, or to send messages as they registration process wasn't completed, the email address wasn't validated and until it is some features are not available to the member.

#673531 - Wed Dec 14 2011 11:55 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: sue943]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
I've just started a new team and wish to create a private tournament that can be accessed through our Info & Ranks page.

I've gone into the Create a Tournament thread and I can't see how I can do this.

Any help would be most welcome smile

#673547 - Thu Dec 15 2011 06:23 AM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City USA
bubbatom, to create a team tournament, go to the Private Tournaments page http://www.funtrivia.com/private/ , click 'Create a new private tournament', at the top of the page, and follow the directions.

To include it on your team's home page, go to *your* edit page for your team description. Just under the box for team description, there is a box to put your team's tournament number. That's it smile

#673612 - Thu Dec 15 2011 02:44 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: postcards2go]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks so much for your response. I did what you said and I got this:

Create a New Personal Tournament (so I clicked on this link)

Then I got this:

Get Started Now!

I'd like to build a daily trivia tournament for...

.Competing against my Friends, Family, or Co-workers!

.My Website

.My Blog

.My Yahoo, MSN group, Discussion Group, or Community Forum

Which one do I click on? Sorry I sound a bit thick, I'm not always that way, but I am when it comes to this sort of stuff smile

I don't have a website, blog, or the last one so I'm assuming I click on the first one, but I don't want to just in case smile

#673635 - Thu Dec 15 2011 03:10 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

I think members of your team would qualify as 'friends' smile So, yes, I would choose the first.

#673657 - Thu Dec 15 2011 03:54 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: postcards2go]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks so much for your help smile

I managed to create a private tournament, but I still can't work out how to get it on the Info and Ranks page.

#673660 - Thu Dec 15 2011 04:16 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

O.K....

Remember where you were when you wrote up the blurb for your team?

http://www.funtrivia.com/friends.cfm

At the bottom, click 'Edit Name/Description/Priv Tourn'

Just under the description area, it says 'Private Tournament ID (optional) ' Put your tournament number in the box, and click 'Save'. It should 'magically appear on your team's page smile

#673663 - Thu Dec 15 2011 04:29 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: postcards2go]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

I did that and nothing has appeared yet. Maybe it takes a bit of time so I'll see what happens.

Maybe my team blurb is too long and it won't fit or something smile

You've been very helpful.

I shall keep you posted, postcards smile

#673674 - Thu Dec 15 2011 04:44 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Thanks, Postie for the info how to put a team's private tournament on their team page. I never knew how, and I posted the info on the team message board. Alex was then able to set it up from there.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#673675 - Thu Dec 15 2011 04:45 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
It definitely takes a bit of time, I did it earlier today and it just showed up. Thanks so much for that info, Postie! I have always wondered why some teams had their tourneys posted and others didn't!

#673676 - Thu Dec 15 2011 04:55 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubblesfun]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks for everything guys smile

#673678 - Thu Dec 15 2011 05:10 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Dave and Alex, I think I have too much time on my hands, and spend it all trying to figure out how to do things on this site tongue

bubbatom, yes, keep me posted, and good luck with your team smile

#673679 - Thu Dec 15 2011 05:13 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: postcards2go]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Thank you smile

#673717 - Thu Dec 15 2011 10:34 PM Re: Forum for New Team Leaders? [Re: bubbatom1]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Our private tournament is up and running!

Everybody is welcome smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry