Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#669247 - Sat Nov 19 2011 04:52 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Guess what? While wandering through our 'regular' bookstore today, I spotted that the English literature shelf had been restacked, and calling to me from the very bottom, right hand corner, close to the floor was Ken Follet's "World Without End" ... I don't know how it happened, but it's now sitting at my elbow calling to me ... in ever louder tones!

I also snapped up Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild", which I have neither read nor seen thus far.

I don't expect to get much housework, craft stuff, internet-surfing, or any other occupations done for the immediate future grin

Edited by Santana2002 (Sat Nov 19 2011 04:52 PM)

#669253 - Sat Nov 19 2011 05:19 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I am reading Eragon laugh
Yes okay, it's a kid's book but it is really good. I read it at night to my son before bed. Am finding it tough to fit in reading but am listening to audio books a bit lately .. had a long trip recently and got through "Good Omens".

#669278 - Sat Nov 19 2011 06:53 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Copago]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I liked "Into the Wild" quite a lot - really, I've enjoyed everything I've read from Krakauer, though I understand there is usually some controversy from those involved in the events. I know the Mormon Church was not very happy with "Under the Banner of Heaven".

#669294 - Sat Nov 19 2011 08:14 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Wisconsin USA
I just started A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. The preface alone gave me a lot to think about. I haven't even finished the first chapter yet a,s I started it shortly before going to work, but I'm already enthralleenthralled. I have a feeling it's going to be a quick read.

#671186 - Thu Dec 01 2011 01:07 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: klinski_1987]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Nothing wrong with child literature, copago! I bought Eragon for myself, but haven't read it yet! We're currently reading Tolkien's 'Hobbit' to my 9 year old. It's actually a lot of fun to read aloud: Son gets a kick out of the funny bits, and I get a kick out of his enjoyment of it, and we both go off on imaginative dadreaming while we're at it, great stuff really (just a little 'anti' the objective of settling him down before he sleeps, hehe).

#671187 - Thu Dec 01 2011 01:09 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

I also found Into the Wild quite fascinating and am still undecided as to whether Chris was a dreamer, an idealist, a rebel, just plain stupid, or a mix of all the above!

I remember thoroughly enjoying Brave New World when I read it, and always intended reading 1984 to compare the two, just haven't yet gotten around to that (says she, 25 years later). Maybe now that you've sparked my memory of it, klinski ...

#671197 - Thu Dec 01 2011 02:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
agony Offline

Administrator

Reading "The Hobbit" to my sister when she was about ten is one of the most cherished memories, for both of us. Because of that experience, we both read to our own older children (past the age of picture books) and, again, these are some of the best memories and bonding experiences we've had. All of those now adult children are readers, who intend to read to their own kids...

#671230 - Thu Dec 01 2011 06:12 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
I also found Into the Wild quite fascinating and am still undecided as to whether Chris was a dreamer, an idealist, a rebel, just plain stupid, or a mix of all the above!

I remember thoroughly enjoying Brave New World when I read it, and always intended reading 1984 to compare the two, just haven't yet gotten around to that (says she, 25 years later). Maybe now that you've sparked my memory of it, klinski ...

"Nothing wrong with child literature, copago! I bought Eragon for myself"

So funny you should mention that! I finished Brave New World, and decided 1984 should be next! I just finished it as well, and decided Eragon would be a good project while I'm digesting my dystopias . I'm starting it tonight.

I haven't checked the thread since posting last, so it's quite odd that things played out this way.

#675453 - Sun Dec 25 2011 07:01 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: klinski_1987]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

Well, I read Barrel Fever, a collection of essays and stories by David Sedaris a few days ago. It wasn't as good as some of his other work (I loved 'Me Talk Pretty One Day'), IMO. Last night, I waited up for Santa and finished 'The Great Gatsby.'
I'll be picking something new tonight. I'm thinking either 'A Clockwork Orange' by Anthony Burgess, or 'Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens.

#676036 - Wed Dec 28 2011 02:26 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: klinski_1987]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
The Tender Bar J.R. Moehringer
I really coud not put this down What a wonderful book
Its a memoir of the author's childhood, so beautifully told . Please read it.

#676137 - Wed Dec 28 2011 04:13 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
After watching Band of Brothers multiple times, I am now reading the Stephen Ambrose book. I am not a huge fan of history, but the book really brings the personal stories of the men of the Easy Company to an incredibly vivid life.

#676182 - Wed Dec 28 2011 07:26 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bubblesfun]
klinski_1987 Offline
Explorer

I ended up going to Barnes and Noble to spend a gift card I got for Christmas, so instead of my other two choices, I'm reading Christopher Paolini's "Eldest." It's the second in a series of books about Eragon, the first dragon rider in centuries in the land of Alagaesia.
I can see lots of influences from J.R.R. Tolkien and R.A. Salvatore, even down to some of the names in the book. Still though, nothing's new, and the story is keeping me on the edge of my seat. I'm glad I started reading them. After seeing the movie, I was a bit put off. Thankfully, as is usually the case, the book is far superior to it's silver screen adaptation.
Also, I still have some money left on the gift card, so I can go get the third book sometime next week!

#676185 - Wed Dec 28 2011 08:01 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: klinski_1987]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I've bought a book designated by my Book Club as the book of discussion for January, called 'The Sisters Brothers' by Patrick DeWitt,a Canadian born author currently living in Oregon. It was a Man Booker prize finalist,a Giller prize finalist and it was Amazons' Best Book of 2011. One of the descriptions of it is 'True Grit' as told by Tom Waits. Just started it. I not usually one for westerns but what the heck.

#676439 - Thu Dec 29 2011 07:10 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: george48]
agony Offline

Administrator

I enjoyed The Sisters Brothers quite a bit - it's not your ordinary western...

#676485 - Thu Dec 29 2011 11:16 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Since I am a h.s. language arts teacher, I select to read only that literature which is of the highest caliber. That is why I am reading Patricia Cornwell's "The Scarpetta Factor." *snicker* I'm only halfway into the story, but it's typical Cornwell fare. Lots of cursing by the cop and the billionaire lesbian niece; some rather lame sex (or rather non-sex) scenes between the lead characters, Kate and Benton, and a decent (if long-winded) who-done-it murder plot.

If you are tired of trying to impress your friends by reading Post-Postmodernist dreck, skip that section at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com and head right on into the fiction section. I had to suffer through tomes of "great works" in college, and to be honest, the canon is pretty good. I highly recommend that everyone read every Norton Anthology cover to cover, then switch to guilty pleasure.

For purposes of FT, read all of Tolkien and Rowling (I've read not word one of either, and cannot abide the thought of spending time in front of a screen watching the movies). God save us all if people start writing quiz after quiz about the Twilight series. (Sparkly, animal-blood only, loving vampires? Really? sheesh)

Sorry, that's probably another thread. I'll hush now.

#676486 - Thu Dec 29 2011 11:19 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bitterlyold]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Originally Posted By: bitterlyold
Since I am a h.s. language arts teacher, I select to read only that literature which is of the highest caliber. That is why I am reading Patricia Cornwell's "The Scarpetta Factor." *snicker* I'm only halfway into the story, but it's typical Cornwell fare. Lots of cursing by the cop and the billionaire lesbian niece; some rather lame sex (or rather non-sex) scenes between the lead characters, Kate and Benton, and a decent (if long-winded) who-done-it murder plot.

If you are tired of trying to impress your friends by reading Post-Postmodernist dreck, skip that section at Barnes and Noble or Amazon.com and head right on into the fiction section. I had to suffer through tomes of "great works" in college, and to be honest, the canon is pretty good. I highly recommend that everyone read every Norton Anthology cover to cover, then switch to guilty pleasure.

For purposes of FT, read all of Tolkien and Rowling (I've read not word one of either, and cannot abide the thought of spending time in front of a screen watching the movies). God save us all if people start writing quiz after quiz about the Twilight series. (Sparkly, animal-blood only, loving vampires? Really? sheesh)

Sorry, that's probably another thread. I'll hush now.

"That's not writing, that's typing." -- Capote (on Kerouac)

#678787 - Fri Jan 06 2012 06:33 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bitterlyold]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

In the correct thread this time:

I finished Eragon over the Christmas holidays (I read it in the car while being driven to Belgium). It shows promise from the author, or at least a good understanding of the mechanics of writing a fantasy novel. However I found it superficial and rather clichéd, immature is possibly the term to use. It has all the typical fantaisy elements: the young untried farm hand going on a quest and 'finding' his true self along the way, all the usual themes of honour, loyalty, good vs bad, etc, but it just doesn't pick up anywhere. It seems to me to be a bit like a 'fantasy novel by numbers' kind of thing. All kudos to the author, who is only a teen, but he needs to develop his own style a bit, develop his characters a lot, and generally go for a lot more depth in his future writing.

It's disappointing to read already that the sequels go downhill, as I would have hoped he could have improved with time and experience. Ah well, he's young yet, plenty of time for his writing to catch up.

I've just finished RR Martin's 'Game of Thrones', a much more gripping fantaisy novel, a bit too brutally violent in places, but gripping none the less with a political intrigue storyline going on that kept me turning the pages. There were several chapters that I skimmed through or practically skipped altogether, but all in all a very satisfying read.

The quandry now is: do I buy the sequels in book format or do I invest in that Kindle that is beginning to nag on the borderlines of my wish-list, and invest in the special offer bundle of the remaining volumes for a mere 15 € or so???

#678938 - Fri Jan 06 2012 03:35 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Buy the Kindle! I was resistant for a long time because I held fast to the idea that I like the solidity of a book. Turns out that I like paying less for said books more than anything. And now that many libraries are starting e-book lending, there is no comparison.

#678974 - Fri Jan 06 2012 04:51 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bubblesfun]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

I do so like an enabler, bubblesfun grin I think I'll just bide my time till my next pay packet, and go for it then wink

Edited by Santana2002 (Fri Jan 06 2012 04:51 PM)

#679024 - Fri Jan 06 2012 10:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
I've been sorting through the books I've been stockpiling for my grandaughter.. the Anne of Green Gables series, Little Women, Mary Grant Bruce Billabong series etc, so before I hand them over, I needed to re read them ! She is almost 10, and just started the Heidi series. Delighted she loves so many of the books I used to love. She has her own favourites as well.. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Harry Potter, Judy Moody etc, but is very taken with "Nan's old books".
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#679030 - Fri Jan 06 2012 11:30 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: tezza1551]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Hi Tezza. Back in 2000 there was a thread of Childrens' Favourite books
http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/37271/Children_s_Favorites#Post37271
I was re reading it and thought you might like to see it.

#679046 - Sat Jan 07 2012 12:56 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Ren. Since posting above, I found another two books I had forgotten I had.. "Flying Nurse" and "Sugarbird Lady", both by Robyn Miller - she was a West Australian nurse who also qualified as a pilot and worked with the Royal Flying Doctor Service - died at the age of 35 in 1975..so they are next on the list !
Incidentally, the "Sugarbird" refers to her her work administering the anti poliomyelitis Sabin vaccine.. she used to fly into remote communities, run a clinic, and fly out to the next place. The Sabin vaccine was administered orally, via a sugar cube.. hence Sugarbird Lady.
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#679053 - Sat Jan 07 2012 05:00 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: tezza1551]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I've just finished about the most frustrating book I've ever read! : Kazuo Ishiguro's The Unconsoled. It moves constantly, without any structure or warning, between 'reality' and 'unreality' in terms of space, time, memory, and just about everything else ... but, as is typical with Ishiguro, the pace of the novel is so slow and the nature of the action is so mundane, that it feels like wading through treacle while someone is scraping a knife across a baking tin!

GG, I was glad to finish it!

Not surprisingly, perhaps(!), critics are divided between those who see it as one of the greatest novels of the past 30 years, and critics like the one who said it had created its own category of badness!

Would I recommend it? Yes ... but only to my enemies smilee

To get my head back together I'm now re-reading Albert Camus' The Outsider (haven't read it since school*). Short novel, very economical prose, brilliant book! (*Read it in the original French then - L'Étranger - but couldn't manage that these days!)

Edited by dsimpy (Sat Jan 07 2012 07:32 AM)

#679123 - Sat Jan 07 2012 02:42 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: dsimpy]
Tobyone Offline
Participant

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia       

I did very well for books at Christmas. I'm finishing A Day in Tuscany by Frances Mayes. I've loved all her Tuscany books; it's fascinating to compare the relaxed attitude towards her life in Italy with the fervour of the earlier books. As always, the food descriptions are mouth-watering.

With hopes that it's not too late for me, I'm also reading Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. Described as the "Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation", it's a passionate defence of using correct punctuation.

I thoroughly enjoyed the three Christopher Paolini books. I found the characters engaging and fell in love with "Saphira".

#679198 - Sat Jan 07 2012 10:11 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Tobyone]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Ren, I copied the list so I could have a really good look.. interested (and saddened) that The Secret Garden didn't make it.. but it was an American list, so not really surprised.
An Aussie list might be interesting to compare.. "Snugglepot & Cuddlepie", "Blinky Bill" and all the other May Gibbs and Dorothy Wall characters I think would rate a mention.
A UK list would certainly have an Enid Blyton or two - maybe the Enchanted Wood series or the Naughtiest Girl ?
Another series - English again - that I had, and my kids read, and that I am now stockpiling for my grandson are the Blackberry Farm books..

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom