Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#780005 - Mon Mar 19 2012 01:18 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: szabs]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Well, phooey, the documentary appears to be off! Maybe it was spam. wink

#780018 - Mon Mar 19 2012 02:16 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: flopsymopsy]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
At least one tweep (Twerson?) fancies doublemm...

#780026 - Mon Mar 19 2012 02:28 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
I won't spoil it for anyone that may have recorded it, but doublemm....here is another quiz you might profitably have done ;-)
http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?quiz=297506

#780028 - Mon Mar 19 2012 02:31 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: Quiz_Beagle]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
Spoiler alert - don't scroll down if you haven't seen it yet...

WOOHOO! VERY well done, doublemm! smilee

#780030 - Mon Mar 19 2012 02:38 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: MaggieG]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Can I point out that all the llamas are as handsome and adorable as doublemm.
It's true, really it is. laugh
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-znmelpFAhdY/Tx...-09-550x381.png

Well done peanut!

#780031 - Mon Mar 19 2012 02:39 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: MaggieG]
flopsymopsy Offline

Wow, I'm exhausted!

Over the past few months I've been regaling the Llamas with copies of tweets about Manchester... normally after a programme there'd be about 40 to choose from, some of which were boring and some of which had to be censored for FT. So this evening I posted some on the Llamas' board just before the programme began... when I got back to the computer there were 536 new tweets!

Edited by flopsymopsy (Mon Mar 19 2012 02:39 PM)

#780224 - Tue Mar 20 2012 01:21 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: flopsymopsy]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Awww I forgot again!! frown I'll try and catch it on the I-Player smile

#780278 - Tue Mar 20 2012 06:14 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: JaneMarple]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Did I say it here? I predicted the result elsewhere months ago. The other teams came nowhere near and it's quite rare one team stands out above all others clearly after the first rounds. Eggheads next!

Well done guys!

UN IPCC

#780331 - Wed Mar 21 2012 01:01 AM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: satguru]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Well done Mike and your team. That was a well deserved victory, although I think I must have blinked and missed your curtsey. You also managed to maintain your record of failing to answer a question on Scotland, which was also impressive. Are you going to follow up by making an appearance on 'Only Connect' now?

#780425 - Wed Mar 21 2012 12:48 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: rossian]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Great show! Congratulations to Mike and Manchester!

#780434 - Wed Mar 21 2012 01:48 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: TabbyTom]
doublemm Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire England UK
Lol, I totally despair when I hear "which Scottish island". I think I'll have to take some of those quizzes!

Thanks very much for all your kinds words.

#788952 - Tue Apr 24 2012 03:47 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: doublemm]
flopsymopsy Offline

Those of you who followed Mike's progress on University Challenge may be interested to know that the members of his winning Manchester team have been awarded the University of Manchester's Medal of Honour 2012 - it's a huge accolade and well-deserved, if only because of the huge number of female applicants who will be flocking to Manchester this year in the hope of catching a glimpse of him. Ha! He should be so lucky. wink

#788953 - Tue Apr 24 2012 04:24 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: flopsymopsy]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Great news Flopsy! Congratulations to Mike and the other members of that fantastic team!

#788961 - Tue Apr 24 2012 04:46 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: Barbarini]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
What a nice gesture - well done, Mike! smilee
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#788971 - Tue Apr 24 2012 05:11 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: lesley153]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Congratulations to Mike and the Manchester team on a well deserved honour.

#809082 - Mon Jul 16 2012 07:25 AM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: TabbyTom]
flopsymopsy Offline

Psst! Wanna hear some gossip? Come closer...

Young Mr Doublemm, aka our Michael off the telly, has just got back from an all-expenses paid trip to Japan where the Manchester team did battle against teams from the USA (including Harvard), Australia, Japan, South Africa, and probably a few other places I've forgotten. Who says answering quiz questions doesn't pay?

But we now have another competition where we don't know who won! Aaaargh!

#809116 - Mon Jul 16 2012 12:16 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: flopsymopsy]
szabs Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Mijas, Malaga Spain         
Wow thats great news. Do you know when it will be aired?

#809122 - Mon Jul 16 2012 12:30 PM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: szabs]
doublemm Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lancashire England UK
Hi all, thanks for the kind words. It will be broadcast on the 4th of August (I think), after the 100m Olympic final, giving us a disgustingly large audience. Unfortunately it is only being shown in Japan.

On another note (and more related to the original purpose of this thread), the new series of Uni Challenge starts tonight. The new Manchester team will be on in early September, so make sure to cheer them on. smile

#1052587 - Sun Jul 13 2014 05:23 AM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: flopsymopsy]
flopsymopsy Offline

If you can get access to BBC iPlayer, you have two days left to watch two programmes shown on BBC2 last week entitled "University Challenge: Class of 2014". The programmes show how contestants are chosen in various universities and trained (or not) in the black arts of answering questions on tv. It also has glimpses of previous contestants, a bit of Bamber, a bit of Paxo... and several starring appearances by our very own Doublemm (Mike McKenna) who, having been a member of a winning team is now helping to coach Manchester's newer contestants.

So if you want to hear Mike's dulcet tones again, now's your chance. smile

#1052607 - Sun Jul 13 2014 06:00 AM Re: University Challenge - UK alert [Re: flopsymopsy]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I saw it and was very impressed by the beard.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong