Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#677990 - Wed Jan 04 2012 08:28 AM Eighteen years on - Justice!
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Two of the murderers of Stephen Lawrence who was killed in 1993 have now been sentenced to 15 years and 14 years 3 months respectively.

For those of you who are not Brits then this was an unprovoked killing of an 18 year old black youth who was standing at a bus stop with a friend. A group of white youths came up to them, make racist comments then stabbed Stephen who then bled to death.

The police acted very badly at the time, more or less treating it very lightly as the victim was black. They were given names of the youths but didn't act on that. Possibly had the police acted quickly at the time of the stabbing Stephen might even have lived.

Stephen's family have not let it rest and as a result there have been some changes to the law including that of double jeopardy. DNA testing which wasn't available in 1993 has been used to convict two of the white youths, except they are now 35 and 36 respectively.

I suspect there will be more cold cases being solved as forensic science advances.

The link to the BBC story is here.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Jan 04 2012 08:31 AM)

#678035 - Wed Jan 04 2012 10:09 AM Re: Eighteen years on - Justice! [Re: sue943]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City USA
Thank you for that, Sue. Stories like this keep criminals on their toes... they can run, but they cannot hide!

#678062 - Wed Jan 04 2012 10:47 AM Re: Eighteen years on - Justice! [Re: postcards2go]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
There was a story on Forensic Files on truTV where a police officer was killed in 1957. It took the police 49 years, but the person who did it was caught by DNA testing. The link to the episode may be on their website.

#678209 - Wed Jan 04 2012 02:12 PM Re: Eighteen years on - Justice! [Re: dg_dave]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I guess these two will get their just desserts in prison. They are likely to be either Category A or B prisoners, probably there are more blacks than whites in these prisons and a couple of white racists could find it fun being with people serving time for murder, GBH etc. I guess they could put them in with the child sex offenders for their own protection.

#678231 - Wed Jan 04 2012 02:57 PM Re: Eighteen years on - Justice! [Re: sue943]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: sue943
They are likely to be either Category A or B prisoners

What is the difference between the two?

#678364 - Wed Jan 04 2012 06:56 PM Re: Eighteen years on - Justice! [Re: dg_dave]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
There are different levels of classification of prisoners in the UK, based on crime and assessments whilst in the system. It also defines which prison they get sent to.
Cat A are very high security risk, considered extremely dangerous and all possible measures are to be taken to prevent their escape.
Cat B are thought of as less of an escape risk.
Cat C still get to be in closed prisons, but are considered low risk.
Cat D are usually in open prisons.

Two men convicted of the racist murder of a stranger without cause or provocation?

#834631 - Sat Oct 27 2012 11:48 AM Re: Eighteen years on - Justice! [Re: Jabberwok]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Another “what is the matter with people?” moment.

I watch plenty of shows in which the concerted efforts of victims/ families and a few dedicated officers truly brings closure to cold cases. Such people deserve to be commended!

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943