Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#677984 - Wed Jan 04 2012 07:07 AM Weigh-In 2012!
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
I think it's time to add some life to this poor, neglected thread. smile

Did anyone make New Years' Resolutions to lose weight? Perhaps you didn't bother waiting until New Years and started before then?

Some of you know I started cycling just over a year ago, and I've been road cycling since April. I rode in an all women's charity bike ride in October, and finished the 31-mile course. It was AMAZING.

I've been going to the gym since October, going to Zumba and working with a personal trainer. Just this morning I went to my first Body Step class. Ow. smile

I also track all my calories and exercise on a free website called LoseIt.

What have YOU all been doing?

#678166 - Wed Jan 04 2012 01:24 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Perfect thread for me laugh
I'm aiming to lose a little weight in 2012 ... perhaps a stone, at most a stone and a half. Over the past two years a few pounds have slipped on, making me ten stone this week. So all the "goodies" have been stored in the shed/outhouse, and only allowing myself treats at the weekend, unless it is a special occasion, where anything goes laugh
I don't keep to a certain type of diet, it's just sensible eating and a LOT of will-power and strength of character. I don't have the time, or energy, to exercise or go to the gym unfortunately.
Wishing everyone a healthy and successful 2012! smilee

P.S. I started on the 2nd of January laugh

Edited by JaneMarple (Wed Jan 04 2012 01:25 PM)

#678272 - Wed Jan 04 2012 03:27 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: JaneMarple]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Jane, You've been one of the most inspiring members in here. Even putting a few of the pounds back on isn't so horrible because you are aware of it and are already doing something about it.

As far as the "goodies" are concerned, I have to "earn" them. If I have a good workout, I can have a treat, whatever I decide that treat may be. It could be something sweet, or it could just be going out with friends and having a meal I wouldn't otherwise have, or perhaps an "adult beverage." On the days I don't have a workout, I don't get a treat. smile

#678384 - Wed Jan 04 2012 10:13 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
smile I agree about Jane being inspiring - when I first started my health kick I was moticated by your losses!

It's been great watching your FB posts, Silver, motivating as well smile

I'm just going to be continuing on as I have been. Just watching what I eat: I tend to go low on processed carbs and high on vegetables. I do allow myself an odd trast but like SMS I better have earnt it! laugh

and doing some kind of exercise each day: It's the middle of summer here so I'm only doing about half hour a day but when it cools down I'll start doing more. I've started doing a 5k run programme ... I did complete it before but I was really little more than jogging with it .. this time I'm trying to actually run.

#678713 - Thu Jan 05 2012 08:32 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: Copago]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Tonight was Zumba. I LOVE my Thursday night class. Then I come home to eat something quick before going to work. In the morning, I have my trainer at 10am, I will probably get an hour or two on the bike (it's supposed to be gorgeous tomorrow!), and then I have BodyStep in the afternoon at 4:45. Saturday I have BodyStep at 9am, and then I'm meeting a friend for a long bike ride. I think I need to eat more! LOL

Anyone else have plans this weekend?

#678714 - Thu Jan 05 2012 08:35 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: Copago]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Originally Posted By: Copago

It's been great watching your FB posts, Silver, motivating as well smile

I've started doing a 5k run programme ... I did complete it before but I was really little more than jogging with it .. this time I'm trying to actually run.

Thanks! I have an old high school buddy who has had several small heart attacks and he is supposed to be exercising. I started posting my LoseIt on FB to try and get him motivated.

I'm so NOT ready for running yet. I think in another year I might want to train for a half-triathlon. My Bucket List includes a full triathlon, so I need to work on that soon! The swimming and cycling are no sweat, it's just the running that makes me afraid. smile

#678758 - Fri Jan 06 2012 12:50 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I've been a little naughty and have put on a bit over the end of the year. No mysteries there: No exercise at all, a glass of wine (or two) here and there, no attention to eating balanced meals, a visit to Belgium where chips and mayonnaise, mulled wine & chocolates were the order of the day... need I say more?

This week I've started getting back into "weight loss mode", and it pays. My plan of attack is to get back doing a bit of sport (stationary bike until the weather improves *sigh*), and being more organised about my meals.

Like you guys, JaneMarple has been a total inspiration. Seeing you change and keep the weight off over such a long time made it click with me that you *really can* lose weight durably by just sticking to it, going slowly but surely, getting right back on track after a 'derailment', and that putting on a little isn't a disaster and can be reversed just by being a little disciplined.

If I can lose the 3 kilos I put back on and a further three after that, I'll be a happy little Santana.

#678816 - Fri Jan 06 2012 08:48 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: Santana2002]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
Glad I found this thread smile I went to LoseIt today and registered. I need to lose a whole lot of weight put on when I was in the depths of depression. I'm hoping this will do the trick. Will keep you informed.

#678836 - Fri Jan 06 2012 10:50 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: playmate1111]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Originally Posted By: playmate1111
Glad I found this thread smile I went to LoseIt today and registered. I need to lose a whole lot of weight put on when I was in the depths of depression. I'm hoping this will do the trick. Will keep you informed.

Check out the forums over there as well. You'll find lots of folks looking for friends to help encourage them on their journey. If you want to add me, let me know and I'll send you my screen name privately.

LoseIt has been a FANTASTIC tool for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I've tried other sites and this one just works best for me.

#680952 - Sat Jan 14 2012 10:19 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Hi all, you are all inspiring . I have been looking in at LoseIt and I have a question. I dont buy much in the way of ready made, brand name foods. For example I made a fish pie from poached cod, creamed potato and cheese topping today. So I filled in Fish pie, to record my lunch. There was no fish pie listed and yesterday there was no grilled at home chicken wings either, only a list of shop bought goods and takeaways. So does this mean I have to enter all the ingredients I used to make these? I make lassi, a plain yoghurt and banana milkshake, there is no record of anything like that, only Macdonald's revolting shakes. What is the answer.? Thanks

#681002 - Sat Jan 14 2012 01:07 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

I keep my 'food diary' on the Weight Watchers site, and in the case you describe, unfortunately, yes, you need to log each ingredient separately ...

#681018 - Sat Jan 14 2012 02:45 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: Santana2002]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Ren - Click on the settings tab on the toolbar, and on the left you will see a link to create recipes. You enter the ingredients and portions and it will work out the calories per serving for you. Then all you have to do is enter that when you use it again.

#681125 - Sat Jan 14 2012 08:01 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Thanks. That makes sense! I will type in my banana lassi as I use it a lot.

#681196 - Sun Jan 15 2012 01:36 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: ren33]
SilverMoonsong Offline

It will definitely make things easier for you to track. smile

#681215 - Sun Jan 15 2012 03:55 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: ren33]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks Ren, I was about to ask this question too.

#681219 - Sun Jan 15 2012 05:41 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: playmate1111]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Texas USA
Hi everyone! I thought I posted in here, but don't see it now.

I was holding a steady weight until a major injury caused a long imobile recovery, that backed into a hot, hot summer.

For the past year, I've gained weight and lost mobility and stamina.

I want to speak in positives and have only diabetes as a major health concern right now. Taking off as much as 50 pounds this year might get me off of insulin.

I am able to walk, not far and not fast. My dog is a a hefty 55 pounds and needs the exercise as well.

I'm going to make her my walking partner.
I'd like some advice on how slowly I should start. Seems I get really enthused, overdo, and sideline myself with a sprain or muscle spasms.

Our weather is good and I'm ready to start. Do you think 15 minutes a day for the first 5 days is too little? Increase by 5 minute increments?

#681248 - Sun Jan 15 2012 09:26 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: postal315]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Hi postal!

Have you spoken to your doctor about how far you should walk? I don't think anyone in here wants to give you advice that would lead to you hurting yourself again. Also, is there anyone you can walk WITH (besides the pup)? Someone that can be your walking buddy, making sure you not only don't hurt yourself, but can encourage and motivate you as well.

Any advice we give you here about how far to walk will be (at best) guesswork, based on what would work for us individually. When I first started walking, I had a fantastic trail around the lake that was 2.25 miles long. It isn't a flat trail, but curves around the lake, with small, rolling hills and bridges. It would take me about 40 minutes to walk around. Would I suggest that for you? NO! But it DID work for me. The first time I got on my bike, I rode less than 4 miles, and stopped 3 times to rest! I thought I was dying! Now I ride 20-30 miles at a time. It's all about what YOU can do, not what we THINK you can do.

Definitely talk to your doctor. I think he or she will be very happy that you want to do this, and can give you the proper advice for YOU. We'll be here to cheer you on, too!

#681262 - Sun Jan 15 2012 09:41 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Good advice Silvermoon! smile

#681467 - Mon Jan 16 2012 02:05 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: playmate1111]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Oh yes, my doctor not only approves, he insists!

I think the ticket, for me, will be starting slowly and increasing slowly.

I'm going to start this morning, MLK Monday. I'm going to walk in front of my house, where I can use my car for a chair if I need to.

Is it OK to use this forum to keep on track? I appreciate your sound advice and reply. Starting the trek in my front street means family and neighbors could assist if something happens.

#681482 - Mon Jan 16 2012 03:58 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: postal315]
SilverMoonsong Offline

That sounds like a great plan, and yes, you can use us! That's what we're here for - support and encouragement. smile Just start slowly, and if you feel pain, you stop. It sounds like you are still having a bit of rehab, so just be careful. Don't stop just because you're tired, but DO stop if you feel pain. Are you starting with the 15 minute walk?

#681484 - Mon Jan 16 2012 04:34 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Star Poster

postal315 , your story sounds so similar to mine, although I don't have the opportunity to go walking, with or without a dog! I found that some gentle exercise at the gym used to help with the painfulness - especailly swimming. This is a really great thread (and forum laugh ) to keep track on how you are doing, and you get a lot of encouragement too. Good luck to all!
(PS, I lost two pounds last week, the first "proper" week of my "diet". Another weigh-in tomorrow smilee )

#681489 - Mon Jan 16 2012 06:08 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: JaneMarple]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Postal, Hi and welcome to this discussion! It's been a great source of encouragement to me personally, seeing how others have succeeded in chipping off the lbs and kilos little by little over time and keeping them off!!!

I think SilverMoonsong has it in a nutshell: start with what you are comfortable doing, do not make the fatal error of overdoing things at the beginning and running out of willpower because it's too tough. Slowly but surely is definitely the way to go.

Another tip which helps more than you would imagine is not to beat yourself up about the days (or weeks) when you don't stick to your plan. Just pick yourself up the following day and get right back on track. What really works is simply sticking to it and making changes that can easily be incorporated in your everyday life. If it's too difficult to maintain, chances are you'll give up.

Small goals, easily achieved, are great motivators (aim to lose 5 lbs by February 15th, for example, NOT 50 lbs by summer), whereas difficult goals make it easier for you to tell yourself that you'll never make it so better just give up and forget it. As you see yourself reaching your goals it gets the momentum going and you keep going to the next little goal. They all build up in the end, and that's what counts.

We're here to cheer you on, commiserate when necessary (we've all been there), and share in your triumphs.

I've started back again this last week and seem to have knocked off 1 of those nasty kilos which found its way back over the month of December. Onwards and upwards (or downwards on the scales, eh?).

#681537 - Mon Jan 16 2012 12:41 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: Santana2002]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Thank you to everyone, I feel so at home here.

I did start today, but not as planned. Two hours of running errands and grocery shopping. I may yet do a little something this evening, but I know baby steps is the way to go.

I do belong to a gym, but it's a half hour away and the energy needed to dress, drive there, change clothes etc. is a little too much for me right now.

I'm retired, did say? So the temptation to lounge around in a house dress and watch TV all day is what I'm fighting.

I feel I should make my health my job, as 23 years of graveyard shifts had a negative impact. Now I can work to reverse it.

#681546 - Mon Jan 16 2012 01:21 PM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: postal315]
SilverMoonsong Offline

YAY Jane! Two pounds in a week is fantastic!

Santana> excellent point! Small goals easily achieved give you something to celebrate so you stay motivated.

postal> Another suggestion - find someone you can use as your workout buddy - and then hold each other accountable. If you have someone that goes to the same gym, that would be perfect. When you have to meet someone, it becomes that much more important to get up and go! Having a neighbor who can walk with you would be fantastic as well. Set up a time every day (this is where being retired will come in handy) and then, once again, hold each other accountable. Once you do that for a few weeks, it becomes a habit, and if you skip one, you'll really miss it!

#681784 - Tue Jan 17 2012 04:33 AM Re: Weigh-In 2012! [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Star Poster

And another pound and a quarter off today, making three and a quarter pounds off since January 2nd laugh

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong