Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#681540 - Mon Jan 16 2012 12:46 PM New American Idol
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Texas USA
Starts this week with the auditions.

What will Steve Tyler say this season?
I'm not committing to watch the whole thing, but I'm willing to see how it goes.

Any fans?

#682467 - Thu Jan 19 2012 09:35 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: postal315]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Started last night. The show fit my mood for the evening and a record amount of people were moved forward.

So full of hope, some really good voices out there.

#682742 - Fri Jan 20 2012 07:00 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: postal315]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
There are lots of fans here, postal! The usual suspects will no doubt appear soon.
We got the first show tonight here. I agree, there were some really good voices. I really liked the Korean boy He Jun, and also Reed Grimm. There were several other good ones, but those two were unusual. Watch this space I am sure Gatsby,Starfish and a few more will be here.

Edited by ren33 (Fri Jan 20 2012 07:03 AM)

#682788 - Fri Jan 20 2012 11:59 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Thanks ren, I know a few are busy with "The Amazing Trivia Race" I've just dicovered the forums.

Edited by postal315 (Sat Jan 21 2012 01:33 AM)

#682842 - Fri Jan 20 2012 03:33 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: postal315]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton Ohio USA              
Drat cry ! The trendy/popular need to 'budget cut' lands everywhere, that's for sure. Blech. It's landed at my house ... evidenced by that I had to shave off a few expenses and (gasp!) the TV/cable was easily the most sensible choice to go. Loved having it, of course -- but find that I can easily live without it. It's a temporary situation, that's a given, but I'll certainly not be catching the first month or so of "Idol" this year in a timely way. Seems weird, my saying that. It seems like years since I've not had some snarky (and always too lengthy, I realize wink) observations to make week-by-week, but I'll be an *irregular* this season, as things get started. I'll absolutely be reading this thread, however ~ whether I have anything to offer from my own seat or not. I'll forever believe in what "American Idol" CAN do for an undiscovered artist, given all the right circumstances. I've always truly believed that the next great American actor is currently waiting tables on the midnight shift somewhere in the Bronx (while auditioning for off-off-off-Broadway exposure in the daylight hours) AND that the next great American singer is probably belting out the National Anthem somewhere, more than likely at a junior high school scrimmage game being played in a suburb of Smalltown, Iowa. This program gives those undiscovereds that one thing that seems most elusive to trapped and/or frustrated talent: a showcase to see if that talent is real, or bankable, or even what they hoped it would be. It's hard NOT to applaud such a concept and such a venue, yes? I'll be (sluggishly) plugged in, as always. Hopefully everyone will get involved here and share their two cents as things progress smile!

#683063 - Sat Jan 21 2012 11:10 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: Gatsby722]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

How odd, I've had to scale back on my satillite channels, but American Idol is on network TV for me.

I had to cut some HBO and other premium ones.

I enjoyed Scott McCreedy last season and hope to see another great talent emerge this time.

The judges are very entertaining. I enjoy these three the most.

#683071 - Sun Jan 22 2012 12:34 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: postal315]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Currently, I can not even get network (yes, I remember well when THOSE channels used to be free *sigh*). Until I re-sign for the basic package with my provider, all I can watch is infomercials and a thing called the Audience Channel, or something. We're at a bit of a standoff on the situation ...

#683194 - Sun Jan 22 2012 07:24 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: Gatsby722]
postal315 Offline
Explorer

Sounds like it's DVD's or nothing, Gatsby722.

I feel your pain. Did you have anything saved on DVR or TiVo? ffer to cook dinner at a friend's on Idol night.

#773382 - Sun Feb 26 2012 05:56 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: postal315]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Right I have made a list now that the final 24 are announced(one more next week apparently.)
The girls seem quite unexciting to me this year, so none made my list
As I said a couple of weeks back I really love
HeeJun
Reed
then also on my list are:
Jeremy
Adam
Creighton and
Phil
I really hope Johnnie gets called back as the 25th.

Edited by ren33 (Sun Feb 26 2012 05:58 AM)

#773399 - Sun Feb 26 2012 07:58 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
Matthew_07 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Malaysia
I like Reed, Jeremy and Creighton; and I hope it's Johnny who will join the male Top 13. For female, I like Sanchez and Hirsh.

I don't know why they picked the bieber guy over David. frown

#777079 - Thu Mar 08 2012 07:41 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: Matthew_07]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
I must admit, much as I loathe screaming Whitney types, Miss Sanchez was rather super tonight
I have never seen Randy so hyped up.
He Jun remains my fave, and Phil by far. I am not enamoured of DeAndre. I suppose Shannon will go Which guy though?

#777098 - Thu Mar 08 2012 09:42 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I really didn't like that they made the girls sing Whitney and the guys sing Stevie. Some of the best performances on the show are when guys sing traditionally women's songs and vice versa. And invariably, the judges told a few of the girls that they didn't sound like Whitney, yet never made similar comments to the guys about Stevie. That said, I liked Hollie, Erika, He Jun and Phil. I like Elise,but I think having to sing Whitney hosed her.

#777231 - Thu Mar 08 2012 04:59 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: bubblesfun]
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge Tennessee USA      
I agree with Bubbles ~ I thought it would have been much more interesting if they had made the girls sing Stevie and the boys sing Whitney. My favorite at this point is Phil. I guess anyone who's been around the forum very much knows I'm a sucker for a guy with a guitar. I really enjoy contestants that change songs up a bit to fit their own style (see Adam Lambert smile ). Although he doesn't sing my type of music, I think Joshua has great potential if he doesn't go the way of Jacob. Hee Jun is so entertaining! He needs to work on his enunciation a bit, and is not the best singer in the competition, but I will be very sorry when it's time for him to go. I suspect it will be Shannon and either Jermaine or Jeremy in the bottom 2 tonight, but I've learned never to guess what America has in store!

Edited by StarfishTwo (Thu Mar 08 2012 04:59 PM)

#779305 - Fri Mar 16 2012 06:26 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: StarfishTwo]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
So, Shannon and Jermaine, gorn.
More or less as expected, although I had a moment of anguish that my boy Hejun was going to go too early. I think we are on track with some really good performances, I do think Jessica is super and Phil a nice unusual choice.
Joshua was worlds ahead last night, in my view.

#787504 - Thu Apr 19 2012 09:42 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Let's see if I remember how to do an "American Idol" post? It's been s-o-o- weird this year, watching my "obsession" show in such spurts --- but I managed to really pay attention to the contest the last week or two (plus a little more, in fits and starts). Last night's episode was a total destination, since the shows following an 'upset' week have seemed historcally important. And it was a terrific week on AI, I thought smile. Kinda weird, too, from my desk. A couple o' weeks ago, based on what I'd seen up to that point, I had my mind made up that either Jessica or Colton would likely win the season. Jessica seemed a lock for the finale, simply because her instrument is both letter perfect and her delivery effortless when using it. Colton I just like ... never boring, always changing it up, consistently good (while not always exactly great), he has a hint of the Adam Lambert streak in him. Or so I was dead certain fourteen days ago, at least. Now? I don't think either one of those two will win OR even make the finale. I'd be thrilled if either or both did, mind you ~ but the scheme of things seems to have shifted. First, Colton's show last night was just OK, as far as I saw it. Nothing horrible about a bad night when one is on a roll, I reckon, but last night he was well buried by some really (really) good performances. Probably not the best time, so late in the game when things are heating up, to *call in* two numbers ... and I thought that was pretty much what he did. The others were at the top of their game; Mr. Colton wasn't. Again, not a crime by a mile ... but his timing for a forgettable night couldn't have been worse. I'm strongly suspecting that Jessica will get backlashed either this week or next. America just doesn't like having their votes summarily dismissed by judges doing their proud, loud. and dramatically theatrical rescues/saves. The callers will eventually even up the score, is my best guess. Too bad, too, since Sanchez likely has the best vocal chops up there (just like Pia did last year). She's also got the same wooden, almost chilly, stage prescence and audience disconnection (sometimes) like Pia did as well. And we all recall what happened to poor cut-off-at-the-knees Pia, eh? I need to say here that I truly like all seven of the kids left. All nicely different, all heads and shoulders above (just in my opinion, don't shoot me wink) either of the final two from last year. I think that any of 'em could win the thing, and I wouldn't mind if they did. But I think Colton and Jessica won't see any confetti where they're landing at this point in the journey. Another one I like bunches is another one who has ALL the odds stacked against her. The girl with her name carved into the Bottom Three, Elise. She's ready to make many records, that's clear, but there doesn't seem a snowball's chance in Hell that voters will will call in with their support for the likes of her on a show like American Idol. Alleged "rocker girls" have never fared so well on the program; alleged rocker GUYS haven't fared much better, either. Kelly Clarkson may have gone a sorta kinda rocker-ish direction, but she didn't win American Idol by doing it. Elise is just not enough of a pop singer, and doesn't even try to be. So much for her, then. Evidently the judges (despite some grudging praise here and there) aren't liking Hollie --- I wasn't all that impressed with her until last night, so I can understand their not-so-subtle put downs. She seemed to blend into the scenery and almost looked comfortable doing so. But she nailed "Rolling in the Deep" last night, certainly not what anyone expected! Typically, Idol mileu learn to to l.o.v.e. these little kitten types who suddenly develop a roar ... but Hollie's days are numbered. I'm thinking. No matter how strong her performances get, she'll prob.ly still remain the one who is eclipsed by the others who are better than she, and who have already established a solid track record this year. So? That leaves all the best odds falling into the laps of Phillip, Skylar and Joshua. Country ruled (aka strangled) the Idol stage in 2011 so the question needs begged: can Skylar keep the Nashville train in adequate amounts of steam? Not sure. That girl is comfortable with a capital C on that stage, never misses a note AND looks/sounds like she can sing almost anything. I like that and I like her. At one point, I thought (without even having watched any of the shows very attentively) that if I heard the name Phillip [with an echo attached] one more time I might scream. I still find it difficult to watch him sing - those Joe Cocker-like mannerisms are more than a little distracting. He sold me, though, shortly ago when he did two duets with Elise. He did his part in those letter perfectly, I thought. And both his tunes last night were (in a word) amazing. And stretched in different directions. And worked like charms. Which leaves Joshua. Will he win? I, for one, think he should ... and (even though a lot could happen in a month; placing bets is risky) probably will. He couldn't have picked two more Idol winner-ish songs better than he did Wednesday night, and he blew both of 'em away. You can just tell, too --- that guy really WANTS to win to the core of his being, which makes his efforts even more passionate and impacting. I wasn't sure about him, based on what little I'd seen over the weeks. But last night? I saw a young man who has learned his way through the competition, and is making sure everybody notices that.

OK. I'll shut up now -- but was jazzed to get to write a little something something. May I say, too? C'mon, Randy! It's just not cool to disrespect either Al Green or Marvin Gaye the way you did last evening. Dawg ... how would YOU feel if somebody got Journey mixed up with Aerosmith? In front of a gadzillion viewers? Shame on ya.

#787674 - Thu Apr 19 2012 06:04 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: Gatsby722]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Oh David, at last! I was really missing your inputs and this year's Idol has brightened in prospect considerably.Welcome!
Actually I think Colton has even lost the teenybopper vote from last night's showing. I really hope he goes as he is annoying me, thinks he can elbow in with redstreaked hair. Yuk.
I really do like Hollie and admire her strength and confidence, but she isnt going to win I agree. I do do hope Joshua does it He is just so damned good.
Up until this week I thought Jessica for sure, but where is her warmth and emotion?Joshua has it in bulk.

#787927 - Fri Apr 20 2012 03:26 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Here's my recap (even though I think we all know who went home, please skip this if you haven't seen it yet). I wrote this to a friend of mine, so you'll have to read it as if you know who I've written it to. smilee

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Okay, here's my recap -

Hollie did better this week with her first song (Rolling in the Deep), probably one of her best performances. I'm still not a fan, however. Her second song (Son of a Preacher Man) just reinforces that. I really didn't like this one at all.

Colton - (Bad Romance, September) - Ya know, I liked this one. Yeah, yeah, I'm a HUGE Colton fan, and yeah, it got a bit too low in the chorus for his voice, but overall I still really liked this even if it was way out of his comfort zone. His second song may have offended tons of people for the way he re-arranged it to fit his voice and style, but I don't think it was that bad. I'm still a fan, and I'll probably buy his album when it comes out. laugh

Elise - (No One, Let's Get it On)) - and here is another one we disagree on. I am not a fan of Elise, and didn't really like either of her songs. Meh.

Phillip - (U Got it Bad, Midnight Hour) He bores me. There, I said it. I can't watch his performances all the way through because I get bored and stop them to move on to the next one. Although I did watch "Midnight Hour" all the way through because it was like a train wreck. I couldn't look away. He looked like a Muppet with Tourrette's walking around on the stage. And I can't watch his face when he sings, because he makes those weird faces. Bah. "Dislike"

Jessica - (Fallin, Try a Little Tenderness) - Ummm, WHAT was with the umbrellas? That was weird and really distracting. I like Jessican's voice, she's an amazing singer, but I didn't really like "Fallin." Her second song started a little weak (IMHO) and only got interesting when she started her growly bit.

Skylar - (Born This Way, Heard it Through the Grapevine) - I'm not a Gaga fan, and not a huge Skylar fan, but she had a good performance with "Born this Way." Was it just me, or was it kinda creepy the way the fiddler kept following her around stage like a stalker? Hey look, he's there in the second song, too! *lmao* The guitar player was cuter. I liked her second song better, but I'm still not a fan. At least she sings better than Kellie Pickler. wink

Joshua - (I Believe, A Change is Gonna Come) - With Colton out, this is my guy to win it. I love his energy, his voice, his soul, and how much of himself he puts into every performance. He's the real deal, more than anyone else left in this competition. His second song... wow. Just wow. Absolutely perfect for him.

Edited by SilverMoonsong (Fri Apr 20 2012 03:28 PM)

#791451 - Thu May 03 2012 05:05 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Well ... I gotta question (who doesn't, by now?): who in the heck is going to win this thing this year? I stand by my earlier notion that Joshua should and Jessica can't, but it's all gotten jumbled up otherwise --- which makes this, actually, one of the more exciting seasons of "Idol" in some time smile. Odds are, or so I read, that the hands-down worst vocalist of the five remaining is the front-runner. That'd be Phillip. I like the way he sings, quite frankly, but the others outSING him week after week. They don't outCHARISMA him by several miles ever, though. My thoughts on PP are that he is (even last night he was) a very capable 'second' in a duet. I enjoyed the duet he did with Josh, myself ... most called it a train wreck, and they might have been right. But the combination of the two styles was doomed at the planning of it, and both guys realized it. I think, then, that they just had fun with it. Some have fussed about Josh giving Phillip the brush at the end, but I really think it was all theatrics. While both had likely rather not done the song, each were making the most of the awkwardness attached to having to. Did Josh outsing PP to a level of complete embarrassment to the other fella? Yep, of course he did! Did Phillip let him shine? I thought he did, and I thought it worked nicely for both of them. Not 'well', or 'brilliantly', mind you ~ just 'nicely'. I also noticed that the vein in Phillip's forehead didn't pop out even once last night (but I might have missed a pop or two, dunno). Somehow, that's relevant. He seems to be coasting a little bit now, relying on his fan base. Will they stay loyal? My hunch is that they will, and that they outnumber Joshua's fans largely. But! Joshua wants this prize bad. Short of elimination, he seems NOT the type to EVER coast, or give up. Both Josh's songs were almost perfection Wednesday night, neither of Phillips were even close to that. At least in my opinion they weren't. But, yet? I still like the guy and would be tempted to vote for some other of the singers than him because of his likability. Since votes rule over merit, I reckon that matters. A lot. Then there's the girls. Skylar was the Queen of the Ladies (I thought) in both confidence and showmanship -- but ended up in the bottom three last week? I realize that somebody has to be there to fill up space ... but that it was her doing the filling is a tad alarming. She seems to bring 120% to every song she shares. That's not enough? Maybe it's the "country" thing, maybe it's something I can't even think of. Whatever it is, I'm thinking that she's no different ... but the voting has shifted as eliminations happen. Might she get Elise's fans this week? Probably, but will it be enough ... thanks to this other *problem* (which isn't a problem at all, in my estimation since I love stuff like this when it happens on "Idol" wink). Miss Hollie has definitely loaded up on her, and everybody else's, Wheaties the past few weeks! Wow! She is nailing her performances left and right of late, and (as the judges mentioned) it couldn't be happening at a better time! The very cool thing with her, as I see it is this: the voice has been there from the start BUT she is listening, learning and skillfully 'feeling' how to use it. She's very young ... she's exhibiting a crash course in 'growing into her instrument'. I get so jazzed when an underdog does this. If she does end up in the finals, I might have to consider it one of the most astonishing, and heartening, comebacks in Idol history! Can't think of much to say about Jessica last night, not really. She sang perfectly (I don't think she can help but do that ... skip the rehearsals, she'll just do it in her sleep). And it was bold of her to take on Tina Turner. But, as usual, I didn't quite "get it" as she went. Almost, but not quite. Which is the same way I have felt every time I hear/watch her. If I dare predict? Realistically, I'd say Phillip or Jessica should go home tonight, but things aren't looking great for Skylar, either. At this point, NObody deserves to go ... but [sigh] somebody must. If Hollie ends up in the bottom, which has become customary? Then it'll indicate that it's ALL down to fan base as opposed to performance. She was the *star* of Wednesday night, no question. I can't see her doing anything better to deserve votes ... so if she doesn't get them this week? She might as well forget it. You watch! The only one I think, putting all things together, will definitely be safe is Joshua. Given my prognosticating skills? He'll probably get the unexpected boot. Stranger things have happened, yes? It's an interesting race this year. I really wish, now, that I'd paid better attention at the beginning of it.

#791468 - Thu May 03 2012 06:38 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: Gatsby722]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
"You Are So Beautiful," is one of my favourite songs and really, to mind, Jessica sang it to perfection last night. But Joshua is so so consistently wonderful. I am really hoping one of those two does it.
I am a bit off Phillip for all his originality. I think it is his smile, even in the sad lyrics. It could seem to be forced.The others are as good as any past finalists, it is true, but Joshua, I agree with the judges, is sublime.

#795391 - Fri May 18 2012 06:28 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Aww We lost Joshua, but of course, he will have an incredible career.
The other two? I have no real preference, maybe Philip has the edge as he is 'new' .
Anyone think that Lisa Marie Presley was awful?

#795588 - Sat May 19 2012 04:58 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
bloodandsand Offline
Participant

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
Ren, I watched the results show last night and sat open mouthed at the awfulness of Ms Presley. Couldn't work out if it was just the *style* of the song, or if the song was written that way to compensate for the fact that she couldn't sing!

Edited by bloodandsand (Sat May 19 2012 05:18 AM)

#795596 - Sat May 19 2012 06:16 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: bloodandsand]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
A combination of all I think! Glad you agree! I found myself wondering what she was on, too...

#795600 - Sat May 19 2012 06:40 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: ren33]
bloodandsand Offline
Participant

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
I agree, a somewhat dazed expression!

#795626 - Sat May 19 2012 11:02 AM Re: New American Idol [Re: bloodandsand]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kent UK
Agree here too.

And did anyone else think that Philip's rendition of "We've Got Tonight" wasn't the tour de force that the judges made it?

#795710 - Sat May 19 2012 05:28 PM Re: New American Idol [Re: glendathecat]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Yes I do, but at a guess , that wont matter to the teenyboppers who are the ones to vote him in I suppose.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong