Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#688300 - Wed Feb 08 2012 02:35 PM The Currrent State Of Television
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
"Water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink". I don't know who said that, but I think it should be changed to "Channels, channels everywhere but none you want to watch." I just finished watching (let's face it, I was desperate)"Housewives of Orange County" which is a spin off of "Housewives of Beverly Hills" that started as "Housewives of New Jersey" after the premier of "Housewives of "New York" then came "Housewives of Atlanta" and reruns of "Housewives of Miami" Where are the creative minds that created, produced and wrote quality programs? They all must be on extended vacations 'cause none of their work is evident, in my opinion, on TV.

I remember when I laughed out loud at a comedy and shed a tear at a drama. Now comedies are 'reality' based and in many cases offensive. On the 'Funniest Video' shows, we're supposed to laugh when people are involved in potentially dangerous situations: elderly women falling, brides whose veils catch on fire and the piece de resistance of every video show - a male getting hit in the genitals. That's a real laugh riot.

Dramas don't fare much better.

Is it that we are force fed inferior programing by networks that know we will have no alternative but to tune in, or is it that our taste have taken a nose dive and we demand what today constitutes comedy and drama?

#688349 - Wed Feb 08 2012 04:46 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
There are plenty of well acted and well written shows out there, you just have to search for them and/or pay extra for them.

I won't list out quality programs on HBO and Showtime, but there are many, many very quality shows.

As for "basic cable" type television, AMC has great original series' like "Hell on Wheels", "Breaking Bad", and "The Walking Dead". I don't watch it but "American Horror Story" on FX gets many great reviews. Add to that "Justified" on FX is quite good, along with "Son's of Anarchy".

Network television has less, but they are there. "Person of Interest", "Criminal Minds", "Unforgettable", and "Glee" are ones that come to mind that are well written and well acted. As for comedies, "Raising Hope" and "Modern Family" are pure gems of acting and writing.

There is plenty of good out there, you just have to look for it and avoid channels like E! and MTV.

#688351 - Wed Feb 08 2012 04:50 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I love NCIS - I think it's a very nice intelligent show. Also, I love Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock.

I do watch Hoarders every so often - I credit it with making me clean my house more often wink

Editor for Television Category

#688354 - Wed Feb 08 2012 04:51 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
I do watch Hoarders every so often - I credit it with making me clean my house more often wink

The only thing I will say about this show is "how do these people live like that"? I couldn't imagine walking over stuff and not be able to tell what color the carpet (or flooring) is. Not only that, but black mold is very dangerous!

Rich, I've heard my mother say she was able to watch more on one channel back in the 60's than what you can get on 300 now. If you like some of the older shows, they are making a comeback on FamilyNet and Insp channel. Sorry, LM, but Eight Is Enough isn't on either one.

Edited by dg_dave (Wed Feb 08 2012 04:53 PM)

#688381 - Wed Feb 08 2012 06:52 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
ladymacb29 Offline

Eight is Enough will be on DVD next month! Well, just season one - but hopefully they will make more! smile

#688390 - Wed Feb 08 2012 08:14 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Here's something for you...according to the wiki page, you can watch some of the episodes on another site, although I don't know if it is a free site, so I won't post it here...sorry.

Edited by dg_dave (Wed Feb 08 2012 09:26 PM)

#688722 - Thu Feb 09 2012 06:51 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
ladymacb29 Offline

I was able to get some on the Comcast website - but they took them down a couple years ago. I noticed you can buy the season one episodes on iTunes right now, but I'll wait for the DVD smile

#688726 - Thu Feb 09 2012 07:06 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Have you looked at the site on that wiki page? If not, maybe you can get some streaming that way. If you are that much of a fan, it might be worth your while.

I don't have Comcast and we don't have Comcast in Dallas anymore, after Time Warner Cable took over the area.

#688728 - Thu Feb 09 2012 07:28 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
ladymacb29 Offline

Ah - the link is for fancast - I believe that is the Comcast website. Ha - just went to the site and it says it doesn't exist anymore - go to Comcast's website!

#688732 - Thu Feb 09 2012 08:31 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Looks like wiki needs to update their page then. I tried!

#688908 - Fri Feb 10 2012 05:06 PM Re: The Current State Of Television
ladymacb29 Offline

Originally Posted By: dg_dave
Looks like wiki needs to update their page then. I tried!

I just did smile

#775958 - Sun Mar 04 2012 11:19 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
cag1970 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Charlotte North Carolina USA
Outside of sporting events and game shows, there's not much on TV to hold my interest these days. Overall, the quality of TV has gone down in recent years, though I agree with one poster who also liked NCIS. I think that's a good show, and I catch the repeats on USA Network and Cloo. Every so often, I catch a first-run episode on CBS, the show's native network.

I'm also saddened to see that MythBusters, long one of my favorite shows, seems to have jumped the shark as well. The most recent episodes did not seem that good to me.

#1064545 - Sat Sep 13 2014 11:42 AM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
baldhair Offline
Explorer

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
I recently watched, or rather tried to watch - I gave up after about half an hour - "The Suspicions of Mr Whicher". Although this is normally the sort of thing I like, the fact that it was filmed almost entirely in the dark spoiled it completely. And this is so often the case these days. Some of the otherwise excellent Scandinavian thrillers are guilty of this. I watch one such where someone was thrown from a rooftop, and it was more than half an hour later that I found out who it was. Half the time you can't see the actors' facial expressions, and a lot of the time you can't see their faces at all. Why do the people who make these films do this? What's the point of watching a film if you can't see what's going on, or who's doing what?

#1064610 - Sun Sep 14 2014 12:34 AM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
ElusiveDream Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Victoria Australia
These days there never seems to be very much on television that's actually worth watching not to mention the fact that every TV show I've ever enjoyed watching has been axed. Another thing that irritates me is when a new series comes on then suddenly disappears after only 2 or 3 episodes.

#1081050 - Thu Jan 15 2015 02:35 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
HairyBear Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Florida USA
A few thoughts on this topic:

1) While I agree that there's nothing or almost nothing worth watching on television, I don't think this is a new complaint. While we remember the one or two gems from history that we liked, we forget the two hundred lousy shows that were on at the same time. Even with three networks, with approximately three shows a night, seven nights a week, that works out to 63 shows a season, plus a few for half hour shows, minus a few for things like Monday Night Football that were over an hour. Even being generous and saying there were six good shows a season, that's 57 clunkers, too.

2) Keep in mind that the old standard for television was the retarded adolescent, or the least objectionable content. When a household full of people all had to watch the same TV, the networks geared their programming to whatever the adults would let the kids watch and the kids were willing to watch. If it was too "adult" for the parents to feel comfortable, or too challenging for the kids, it wouldn't make it. Now you have different programming for every age range, though the preferred age range is still the young adult with spending money (18-29).

3) Which brings me to my next point, which is that your taste changes as you get older, and the shows you might have liked when you were younger are no longer palatable now that you are older. I find a lot of shows I enjoyed as a kid aren't that great now that I am older. I waited for years to be able to watch The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Bewitched again, two of my favorites when I was a kid. Boy, was I disappointed.

4) A similar point: Many of the shows that are now considered "classic" didn't become so until after they went off the air. Star Trek and Twilight Zone come to mind as two examples. Other shows that were at the peak of popularity at the time have not aged well.

5) I think part of the problem is that television has gotten very dark. Most of the shows listed in previous posts as "quality" programming involve a lot of death and destruction and anti-heroes. As someone raised on heroes and happy endings, I don't care for any of those.

6) I agree wholeheartedly on the lack of comedy in television. Nothing on makes me laugh anymore. I blame David Letterman for making unfunny popular. When people hoot instead of laugh, that's not comedy. These are the same people watching modern television "comedies" that are also not funny. There are funny people out there, but I think they've been relegated back to the night clubs doing stand-up comedy. For example, why hasn't Jeff Dunham been asked to write a TV show?

7) "Water, water everywhere" is from "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Edited by HairyBear (Thu Jan 15 2015 02:40 PM)

#1081075 - Thu Jan 15 2015 07:49 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
ladymacb29 Offline

I totally agree with you on number 3. I used to LOVE the show Jem and the Holograms. So what happened when I caught an episode a few months ago? I hated it. Couldn't watch more than five minutes. Same goes for other shows I loved in the past.

#1081077 - Thu Jan 15 2015 09:51 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
trident Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Wisconsin USA
I am going to actually completely disagree with a lot of these sentiments and say that television is now better than it's ever been. Obviously, there are some caveats, but this is what I believe to be true.

-- Though this isn't always true in many areas, quantity has actually led to quality. Because there are so many options, producers are now able to explore themes and ideas that they couldn't previously. Overall, the quality may not be getting better as a whole, but when looking at the shows that are exceptional, my opinion is that they outdo anything in the past.

-- Television has become more "adult", and that is a good thing. If you find the right shows, television makes you philosophize, now more than ever. Sure, shows in the past tackled the social issues of the day, but now television is less afraid to "go there".

-- When we talk about the state of things now, it's easy to get nostalgic and think things were better. But as HairyBear has pointed out, there were a lot of stinkers back then too.

Edited by trident (Thu Jan 15 2015 09:52 PM)

Editor: World and General

#1081079 - Thu Jan 15 2015 10:25 PM Re: The Currrent State Of Television
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yeah, I'd have to say there's a lot of the same sentiment about TV as there is about music, with a "today's music stinks" attitude that forgets all the really horrible music that was on the charts in the 60s and 70s.

I don't watch TV, and haven't, really, since the early 70s. But I hear a lot more passion and real interest about shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones or Downton Abbey than I ever did about anything on TV in the past except maybe Roots.

You don't have to watch reality TV - there is drama out there, there is comedy out there. If you are watching Real Housewives instead of Fargo, that's not TV's fault, it's your choice.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong