Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#690832 - Thu Feb 16 2012 03:05 PM Nominations - April Book Club
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

Loc: Ontario Canada
For the month of April, we will be giving nominations for a book we'd like to see read. In this month, we will be reading a book from the genre of Historical Fiction. I welcome anyone who is interested in taking part to recommend a book, and to give a very brief synopsis of the book.

#691383 - Sat Feb 18 2012 08:08 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: LeoDaVinci]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I'd like to nominate "The Name of The Rose" Umberto Eco. Historical fiction and muder mystery all in one

In 1327 an investigator arrives at a Franciscan abbey to look into charges of heresy.
While he is investigating seven people are murdered and he has to decode old documents and secret symbols to get at the truth about both the murders and the heresy.

#691409 - Sat Feb 18 2012 09:18 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: Christinap]
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

I'd like to nominate Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper. Set in the French and Indian War, an American Colonel is attacked by Hurons, but is saved by Hawkeye and two Mohicans that happen across his path. This is a story of the frontier and the people that helped shape it.

#691581 - Sat Feb 18 2012 05:15 PM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: Christinap]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: Christinap
I'd like to nominate "The Name of The Rose" Umberto Eco. Historical fiction and muder mystery all in one

Excellent! I've had that one in my tbr pile for at least twenty years and two moves, lol.

#691605 - Sat Feb 18 2012 05:55 PM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: Dagny1]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I'll go with "The Name of the Rose" too. Like Dagny, I bought it some time ago and still have to read it.

#691819 - Sun Feb 19 2012 06:20 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: TabbyTom]
DaisiJ Offline
Explorer

Loc: Randburg
  South Africa
My vote goes to "The Name of the Rose" as well. I have been meaning to read it for ages and it is sitting on my bookshelf just waiting. blush

#692807 - Wed Feb 22 2012 10:00 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: DaisiJ]
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

No votes yet, just nominations. I'll post a poll later in the month (or early next month).

#775438 - Sat Mar 03 2012 10:44 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: LeoDaVinci]
LeoDaVinci Online   mad

Since there were only two nominations, and the majority of you want Umberto Eco, we will be reading The Name of the Rose in April!
May category and nominations to come soon.

#777128 - Thu Mar 08 2012 11:50 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: LeoDaVinci]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Dug my copy of The Name out of the Rose out of the boxes in the closet and ready to go. Yes, my closet is filled with way more books than clothes, lol.

#777305 - Thu Mar 08 2012 08:40 PM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: Dagny1]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Woohoo, I've seen the thread and know what book to read! Just to get my hands on it now... just checked the public library site, there are only two copies and 10 reservations ahead of me.

#777428 - Fri Mar 09 2012 06:12 AM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: guitargoddess]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

LOL I saw that too GG! If you have a Kindle or the Kindle for PC program you can get it on Amazon for about $4.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#777491 - Fri Mar 09 2012 12:15 PM Re: Nominations - April Book Club [Re: LadyCaitriona]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Dang, my library card is expired too, so I can't even join the reservation queue! I'll have to hike down to the Main library at lunch one day next week and get my card renewed.

No Kindle here, but my brother has one he doesn't really use. Maybe he'll sell it to me someday soon.. or I could just buy one. I've always thought I wouldn't really use since I don't really read on the bus but it may be nice to have one anyway.

edit, just saw the rest of your post, LadyC, I forgot about the Kindle for PC thing! I was going to check into it when skunkee told us about her book, and then I forgot! will definitely see about downloading that smile

Edited by guitargoddess (Fri Mar 09 2012 12:17 PM)

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom