Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#691090 - Fri Feb 17 2012 02:42 PM QQ queue length
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
I've had five questions in the QQ for edited prior to submission for quite some time. Some have been there for a two or more weeks, and more like three. I believe they're all in one category.

I'm wondering how I would find out if there's something wrong with them and I haven't been told (it's hard to believe there's things wrong with all five.) Other questions have been accepted between the first one in the category and the fifth one.

What can I do to find out what's wrong/happening/what I've done wrong, et al?

It's perhaps as simple as the editors being overburdened, but the screen says "one to two days" on the queue size.

Yes, I've read the admonition that if I've sumitted poorly written questions before my submittals will go to the end of the list. I don't think any of the questions have been that poor out of the 161 that have been accepted. But, if that's it, I most certainly would like to know that, too.

Thanks a lot for the help and response.

Lee

#691092 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:00 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: habitsowner]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: habitsowner
I've read the admonition that if I've sumitted poorly written questions before my submittals will go to the end of the list.

This isn't really the case with the single questions. For quizzes yes because a poorly written quiz will take up a lot more editor time than a very well written quiz, but for the single questions it takes about the same amount of time to quickly review the question and either accept or reject, no matter how well or poor it's written.

Because it's a fairly fast review process, this is why it will *usually* only take a couple of days for your single questions to be reviewed, but in some categories, editor absences can interfere with this. Some categories also sometimes let the single questions accumulate while they focus on the full quizzes and then action a whole bunch of singles at once when they have some time set aside for that particular task.

So I would think it's probably just that your questions haven't been attended to yet rather than there's something wrong with them. If they'd been seen by an editor and something was wrong with them, they'd likely have been returned to you by now.

#691104 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:44 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: guitargoddess]
WesleyCrusher Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Germany
The queue size on the screen is for quizzes, not for single questions. If your questions are in Animals or Sci/Tech, you need to expect a longer wait - the resident editor for those categories is on leave and the remainder of the editing staff is trying to cope with these two categories as well as possible, but it's on top of our regular load and especially if your questions are rather complex, we need to find an expert on the appropriate subject first to check them.

#691105 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:52 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: guitargoddess]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

GuitarGoddess,

Thank you for your reply. I would loathe to think that they were so bad that they were just being ignored!

I guess I'll just try to be patient then.

Lee

#691106 - Fri Feb 17 2012 03:55 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: WesleyCrusher]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

WesleyCrusher,

Thanks for clarifying the info re the queue sizes.

I believe all of my quizzes are in Geography and I know I've had Sci/Tech go up while waiting on one or two of the Geography quizzes.

So, as I told GuitarGoddess, I guess I'll just wait. It's hard though since I have so many other good questions - or at least that I think are good - to submit.

Lee

#692896 - Wed Feb 22 2012 01:07 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: habitsowner]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
Does a QQ single question that is rejected always go back to the author to be fixed, or can they just vanish without trace without the author knowing?
It's just I have a memory of submitting one (very late one night) and it's not there - I have 0 in the queue but it's not on the list of accepted submissions. Now there is the possibilty that I dreamed it, have it mixed up with the couple I did before it, or managed to not actually submit it at all, but I was positive I put one in. (And the icing on my cake is that I can't remember what it was... sighhh)
If I know they can't just vanish having been rejected, then I will at least know it is my brain acting up laugh and if they can just vanish I can comfort myself that I'm not going senile quite yet...

#692898 - Wed Feb 22 2012 01:12 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: Rowena8482]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
There is an option to delete the question, author gets no response, but I have never used it, and imagine it would only be used in the case of total nonsense or a question that has been resubmitted multiple times without making the requested changes. Or by accident, dreadful thought.

#692907 - Wed Feb 22 2012 01:40 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: looney_tunes]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Are you looking in the right place? I know that I got one rejected and didn't notice, because I never looked at that particular list. Now if I could just remember which list it is, that would be helpful....

I'm pretty sure rejected QQs show up back on the "waiting to be accepted" list, don't they?

#692927 - Wed Feb 22 2012 02:19 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: agony]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Go Me/ My Single Questions Edit / My Contributions Not Yet Rated ? (This area is divided into three sections - from top to bottom - Recently Rejected Submissions; Recently Accepted Submissions; and, In the Queue Waiting to be Checked)

The top area would have Qs which have an outstanding request for improvement by an editor. Once the author has done work and hit the resubmit it goes back to the bottom section or is author deleted. (Note that the author may make the mistake also and erringly delete a Q rather than an intended re-submit.)

The middle section shows all the Accepted Qs awaiting placement into the NQG and getting rated. This section is repeated on another of the My Single Questions edit page, the: My Contributions: All Accepted Submissions. This list shows all rated and unrated Qs the author has generated.

If you have submitted a Q and it is gone from the submitted list and is not in the accepted middle area, it should either be in the top section or considered deleted.
An option: Resubmit a copy for a second try.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Feb 22 2012 03:31 PM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#693203 - Thu Feb 23 2012 03:56 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: mehaul]
Rowena8482 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Hartlepool Durham England UK
I found it! Thank you mehaul, I don't think I'd ever have found it on my own. It was purely by chance that I even (thought I) remembered submitting it. I am so glad I wasn't dreaming that I submitted one. It came back for some changes to the II.

#693207 - Thu Feb 23 2012 05:04 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: Rowena8482]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
D'nada.
Another type of Q that ends up in that top section are ones that have already been accepted and have been online a while. If it comes back due to a CN it gets put in that top area. Here's a big problem with that top area, IMHO, it is arranged by original date and not by date put into that area. Meaning, a six month old Q could get put there but it won't be at the top of the list. It will get inserted into the list between others that were created before and after it. You have to pay attention to what is there in order to notice if a new one has popped in for fixing. (That is if you have a few that have languished awaiting repairs like I do. Don't worry, they weren't great Qs in the first place so FT isn't missing much with me sitting on them)

Edited by mehaul (Thu Feb 23 2012 05:11 AM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#780190 - Tue Mar 20 2012 11:50 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: mehaul]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

What's a CN, please?

Thank you.

Lee

#780191 - Tue Mar 20 2012 11:52 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: habitsowner]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
What's a CN, please?

Correction Notice.

#780192 - Tue Mar 20 2012 11:53 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: kyleisalive]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Thank you, Kyle. Don't know why I couldn't have figured that one out myself!

Lee

#780241 - Tue Mar 20 2012 02:55 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: habitsowner]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: habitsowner
Thank you, Kyle. Don't know why I couldn't have figured that one out myself!

Lee

Don't feel bad, Lee. Alphabet soup is always hard to read!

Sue

#791991 - Sat May 05 2012 11:00 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: shuehorn]
PaulS2011 Offline
Participant

Loc: Liverpool Merseyside UK       
Hi all. I'm new to the forums so sorry in advance if I make any faux pas.

I have a geography single question, modified and re-submitted about 3 - 4 weeks ago and which now seems to be stuck in Limbo.

Can anyone advise please?

#791998 - Sun May 06 2012 12:24 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: PaulS2011]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: PaulS2011
Hi all. I'm new to the forums so sorry in advance if I make any faux pas.

I have a geography single question, modified and re-submitted about 3 - 4 weeks ago and which now seems to be stuck in Limbo.

Can anyone advise please?

After a new question is accepted, it goes into a queue. Roughly two months after it is accepted it goes into the New Question Game to be played and rated. After roughly 300 plays, it gets taken out and if it is good enough then it goes through into the other hourlies (depending on its %age correct).

So it is not unusual that your question is "in Limbo", unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

~(_8(I)

#791999 - Sun May 06 2012 12:33 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: AdamM7]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
The Geography queue is currently the busiest in terms of single questions; they'll likely be looked at sooner rather than later. The editors in there are usually quite speedy but they may be busy with things at the moment.

#792009 - Sun May 06 2012 02:35 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: kyleisalive]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
So AdamM7
If your question is not in Limbo it will be stuck in Purgatory for a while.
Cheers
Cathy

#792010 - Sun May 06 2012 06:05 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: kyleisalive]
PaulS2011 Offline
Participant

OK, I'll just wait and see how long the queue takes.
Thanks
Paul

#792011 - Sun May 06 2012 06:07 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: AdamM7]
PaulS2011 Offline
Participant

No, the question is in the queue for acceptance by the editors.
Thanks for the other info though.
Paul

#797009 - Fri May 25 2012 11:07 AM Re: QQ queue length [Re: PaulS2011]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

I've got three waiting in Geography, too, so you're not alone. That's a category I think I'll stay away from for single questions for a while. The editors must be very busy, so I'll do questions for other categories until they catch up.

#797095 - Fri May 25 2012 06:48 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: habitsowner]
Happy Birthday spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I got to some of those questions this afternoon, so you might want to check again. smile

#797100 - Fri May 25 2012 07:08 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: spanishliz]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Oh, Spanishliz, thank you so much! I appreciate you...and I know how hard you and the others work. So, please understand, I wasn't complaining.

Lee

Edited to add "hard"

Edited by habitsowner (Fri May 25 2012 07:09 PM)

#797105 - Fri May 25 2012 08:11 PM Re: QQ queue length [Re: habitsowner]
Happy Birthday spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Oh, I didn't think you were complaining, but when I read this thread it nudged me in the QQ direction. There are still a few in there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4