Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 29 of 51 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
#629623 - Sun May 29 2011 04:05 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:
Graft
Your answer: place athe organ of a donor into the body of a recipient
Delete the leading 'a'.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#629737 - Sun May 29 2011 12:06 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
In last hour's Word Wizard, I had the question:
2. Caesar defeated Pompey in 48 BC
Your answer: battle of pharsalus

Does the name of a battle really belong in Word Wizard?

Edited by Buddy1 (Sun May 29 2011 12:15 PM)

#629783 - Sun May 29 2011 01:10 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
There are several of them, primarily famous battles of antiquity whose names have become used idiomatically in the English language, such as marathon. They get in because they are part of the alternate word uses listed in the dictionary.

#629863 - Sun May 29 2011 03:49 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

In that case, shouldn't it be just "pharsalus" and the definition of the word rather than a description of the battle?
In your example, "marathon", I would assume that a definition of the word "marathon" is given (a race of some kind) rather than a description of an event.

#629940 - Sun May 29 2011 07:35 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

The dictionary being used has a number of incomplete and strange entries. Marathon appears both as a single word matched with the race (and with other definitions, such as an arduous task) and as the battle of Marathon (I forget how it is described, but it is similar to the entry you cite for the battle of Pharsalus). You might question whether the entry belongs in the original dictionary, but Word Wizard does not discriminate between better and worse definitions, it takes all of them at different times. You will see the same word with quite a number of different definitions, some of them pretty obscure and tangential. That is just the way the algorithm works. If the dictionary lists it, Word Wizard will eventually use it. smile

#629953 - Sun May 29 2011 08:19 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Regardless of whether you "feel" an entry belongs or not, was there ANY OTHER ANSWER on the list of choices you were given that would have fit EQUALLY as well? Were there other battles mentioned? I highly doubt it and if not, what are you complaining about? An Encyclopaedia is really pretty much just a dictionary with extra/embellished details lol.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sun May 29 2011 08:20 PM)

#630066 - Mon May 30 2011 09:36 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Just to be clear, I know and accept the fact that there will be words with multiple definitions and multiple words with the same definition.

@Jakeroo: I don't think I am complaining, just pointing out a mistake (the purpose of this thread). Yes, you are correct in that there were no other battles, but that still doesn't necessarily mean it's an okay entry. Suppose we were playing Mind Melt and in the Opposites section, one column read "in, up, correct" and the other column read "out, down, right". Through process of elimination, it can be discovered that correct and right match up even though they aren't opposites and that needs to be fixed. Likewise, I thought that even though I could discover the right answer through process of elimination, a battle (in my opinion, not a word or phrase) matches up to its description, it doesn't belong in Word Wizard.
Just like names belong in Who am I? and not Word Wizard.

#630071 - Mon May 30 2011 10:05 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I agree that it probably doesn't quite belong in the game, but I don't think anything needs to be done about it. Take it as a free point. smile

#630072 - Mon May 30 2011 10:11 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Are you saying you believe it doesn't belong in the game but nothing should be done about it? This is not an argument for trying to take names of battles out of the game, but I would think that if someone believes something doesn't belong in the game, then that person also believes something should be done about it.

#630090 - Mon May 30 2011 11:37 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Buddy1]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I did write "doesn't quite belong". I don't have a problem with names of battles and various other things appearing in the game, but I can see vaguely why others would. I just think that it's not a huge priority to have them removed either way. It's probably a big job for something that doesn't come up very often and also doesn't actually cause any problems. It doesn't bother me if it's there at all.

#631235 - Fri Jun 03 2011 06:11 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: reeshy]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
Just looking for an explanation on this one. I am always wrong when I think the answer is screwy, so I'd just like help understanding why the correct answer is better than what I picked:

6. Sharpness
Your answer: shrewdness shown by keen insight

shrewdness shown by keen insight is the definition for "acumen"

The correct answer was the attribute of urgency

Thanks for any help...

#631236 - Fri Jun 03 2011 06:23 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I made that same incorrect choice! It seems to me that sharpness could be used in either of those contexts, and it is just unfortunate that the two possibilities came up in the same batch. At this link, definition 2 relates to the use of sharp as a synonym of shrewd, while definition 4 relates to its use in a context that could relate to urgency. (I don't think either is actually better, they are just alternate possibilities. Since acumen is a synonym for sharpness, it's not surprising that they come up with similar definitions.) If this had been Mind Melt, and you had to match pairs, then it would be clear that acumen doesn't match with urgency, even if both of them could match with shrewdness.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sharpness

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/acumen?show=0&t=1307103623

#631248 - Fri Jun 03 2011 07:14 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I second that 6. Sharpness
Your answer: shrewdness shown by keen insight

shrewdness shown by keen insight is the definition for "acumen"

The correct answer was the attribute of urgency

Sometimes there are two similar definitions but one is accurate while the other is similar. I'd say this is the wrong way round as well. And agree there isn't a lot of urgency in sharpness, it's either a physical quality or a mental quality of, well, shrewdness and perception.

UN IPCC

#631551 - Sat Jun 04 2011 06:26 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Windswept]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Just needs a capital A in Africa

Veldt
Your answer: elevated open grassland in southern africa

UN IPCC

#631822 - Sun Jun 05 2011 04:25 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: satguru]
mehaul Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Along the same lines as the satguru:

14. Mariachi
Your answer: a group of street musicians in mexico

mexico should be Mexico.
Has something happened that continent and country proper nouns are no longer in caps?
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#631853 - Sun Jun 05 2011 07:05 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

In whatever dictionary is used for this game, there are no capital letters for any of the proper nouns - people's names, countries, etc.

#631862 - Sun Jun 05 2011 07:45 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
twosleepy Offline
Explorer

Loc: Mendon New York USA           
Couldn't find this anywhere.... is the correct answer even listed?

a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance

assure
color blindness
adulation
swell
quartette
gizmo

#631863 - Sun Jun 05 2011 07:48 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
It might be "swell", even though "dandy" is a term I probably would use instead.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#631864 - Sun Jun 05 2011 07:49 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: twosleepy]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Yes, a swell is a (somewhat old-fashioned) word for a dandy, a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance. Georgette Heyer's Regency romances are full of them.

#632430 - Tue Jun 07 2011 05:57 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
8. A speaker with an unusually laoud voice

Your answer: stentor

Spelling - loud

#632431 - Tue Jun 07 2011 05:58 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
15. No capable of being moved or rearranged
Your answer: immovability

Spelling - Not

#634074 - Wed Jun 15 2011 12:24 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues
mixit Offline
Participant

Loc: Tamworth NSW Australia        
I recently completed the hourly word wizard, and one of the questions required the definition to "redundancy". One of the clues was "out of date or of no further use", which was my selection. i was appalled to see that the answer was "to continue on needlessly", which, after checking 2 dictionaries, is not the definition of "redundancy". In Word Wizard, there is no avenue for issuing a correction, or ascertaining who the author is.

#634095 - Wed Jun 15 2011 02:56 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mixit]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

This is the avenue for querying an entry - these questions do not come from authors, they are from a dictionary database, and include a whole lot of very strange things! The game often throws up fourth or fifth definitions, rather than the ones you would expect to see. Redundancy can refer to systems that continue despite being no longer needed. It does not refer to things being out of date.

To see a range of definitions, check out this online dictionary source. It is not the one in the game, and does not include the exact wording from the question, but you can see that some of the definitions given are n that part of the world.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/redundancy

Edited to add link to some definitions.

Edited by looney_tunes (Wed Jun 15 2011 02:58 AM)

#635427 - Mon Jun 20 2011 11:11 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Just a nitpick, this was the correct answer:

7. Two instead of one

Your answer: doubleheader

but another possible was brace,

one of the many definitions is:

"a pair; couple: a brace of grouse."

Now a doubleheader I worked out is when you go to a show and get two events instead of one, but technically I would think brace would be so close as to warrant a right answer as well- I presume the incorrect answers are random (although often appear in the same quiz in bunches which is helpful) so can't pick and choose what comes up, but that was a particularly close one.

UN IPCC

#635655 - Tue Jun 21 2011 05:09 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: satguru]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Just came across this in the current game (5AM CST):

13 a spiritual leader in a non-Christian religion

priest
screw
low frequency
disagree
enragement
bestialize

Non-Christian? confused

Note added: O-kay ... I can see now that it could ALSO refer to a non-Christian priest, it just reads a bit odd though.

Edited by dsimpy (Tue Jun 21 2011 05:15 AM)

Page 29 of 51 < 1 2 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  Terry