Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#776880 - Wed Mar 07 2012 03:29 PM Solar Particle Storm
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Over the next 24 to 36 hours, the Earth is to be bathed in a cloud of ionized particles from the sun. Some satellite communications are expected to be impacted.

#777093 - Thu Mar 08 2012 09:02 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I hope it affects the thermometers and they use the results regardless. That would make the figures look very interesting!

UN IPCC

#777141 - Thu Mar 08 2012 12:36 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Imagine what is going to happen to the polar ice ph factors as a result of the bambardment of so many auroric ions. Scientists in 2,000 years testing that ice will measure that we had an atmosphere different than what is really is today. Ice core samples? please leave them in the ground. We all know the explorers were really just drilling for oil and justified it by making claims about the ice which were unfounded and should have been unfunded.

#777398 - Fri Mar 09 2012 03:44 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
That's telling the climate scientists who don't know the basics of their own job to consider solar flares. Next you can tell astronomers which end of the telescope to look in and surgeons which end of the scalpel to use. You should make telling experts how to suck eggs an Olympic event.

#777474 - Fri Mar 09 2012 11:15 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mountaingoat]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Sticks and stones, weapons of a bygone time.
Perhaps you can offer a scenario in which the storming of the ice record with solar activity won't mask the Earth's current normal recording? Those ion impacts will delve deeper into the ice than just this year's layer and thus alter previous years' recordings. That's high school physics my friend, high school.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Mar 09 2012 11:21 AM)

#777478 - Fri Mar 09 2012 11:30 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Is that the climate scientists who reported unanimously the longest glacier chain in the world was melting at billions of gallons a year until the actual measurements last month found they hadn't changed for a decade? From this we should have confidence in them? Remember the climate is more complex than just about anything else we know in science, and if you imagine trying to create a computer model of a human mind and say it's too complicated then the same goes for the climate. It has far too many variables and spawned the term 'chaos theory' for that very reason. There's absolutely no point comparing climatologists with many others as they make discrete repeatable measurements overall while climatologists cobble them together from both diverse direct and indirect means and then none at all where there are none available and just fill them in. Sorry, that's not science. It makes the rest of it look bad as well and should not be relied upon for those very reasons.

UN IPCC

#777484 - Fri Mar 09 2012 11:46 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Let's just be grateful, can't we, that no major disruptions occurred as a result of this storm? That many of our satellites have been 'hardened' against effects from solar storms which sadly our polar ice isn't?

Mountaingoat, one of the first pieces of evidence which was used to support Global Warming/Climate change was the ph or measure of the acidity, of the water/ice which fell those many centuries and millenia ago that were taken from bore samples of ice in the polar regions. They read the ph as a direct, never altering record of the atmosphere's condition at the time the ice was formed and inferred the % of gasses in the atmosphere which that acidity would account for. They NEVER considered that over time, the ph of the ice could change. Now we know it can by mineral intrusion, lightning strikes and by solar particle storm. The ph of the ice is more a measure of extra-terrestrial impact than mankind's. Without having an accurate record of dust deposition, Thunderstorm activity and the history of the sun in detail, no inference of the history of the ice can be made (especially from the ph) except that it was cold.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Mar 09 2012 12:35 PM)

#777561 - Fri Mar 09 2012 05:35 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Please supply one peer reviewed study in a reputable journal to support your theory.
If you are going to fall back on the conspiracy theory about over 90 percent of climate scientists fabricating it all you are deluded. Talk about name calling. The deniers are calling the scientists liars and cheats. These are the people who studied for years to work in low paid jobs to further humanity. Also, over the last couple of years we have had record snowfalls in Europe and the US. We have also had record heatwaves. In Australia we have had rainfall and floods worse than since records began. The amount of extreme climate events is building. The insurance industry is factoring in massive increases in claims in future due to climate change. Of course the final fall back position of the deniers is "It is not man Made." The fact the change is happening so quickly and will increase when climate loops begin is par proof of mans involvement. It is all moot anyway because the destructiveness of greed and selfishness will assure humanity will not act in time.

#777578 - Fri Mar 09 2012 07:50 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mountaingoat]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I haven't got a study to hand myself but I am guessing mehaul is qualified to provide more than ample science directly. Meanwhile here is the most thorough analysis of what is inaccurately described as 'ocean acidification', as the ocean is alkaline and probably always will be. I know there isn't a technical term for reduced alkalinity but the alternative used does make far better headlines. This summary contains pages of studies and links, so even if you don't like some there are far too many to dismiss. Someone has done an awful lot of work reading and collating these studies to one place for the very purpose of discussions like these which I totally agree need solid examples behind any scientific claims. And bearing in mind errors happen constantly in newer areas of science then the sheer quantity of studies on both sides is enough here to cancel that factor out. Here's a typical quote here:

“In the deep oceans, the CO2 concentration increases as sinking organic matter from biological production (which varies seasonally) is decomposed. These additions of CO2 to the deep oceans cause its pH to decrease … When this CO2-rich deep water upwells to the surface, it creates regions with lower pH in the surface waters”.

This is basically saying the ocean Ph, just like sea level and temperatures are not uniform but change at different levels. So again we have a complex system far harder to measure than your kid's height or inside leg measurement. The comparisons I hear almost every day to we accept smoking causes cancer and sugar causes tooth decay is because they are direct and measurable results which are easily repeatable over long or short term studies. That is true science, providing direct, reliable and repeatable results. Everything else is either suggestion or speculation. Not news, not informative and not even interesting as it's overall just misleading. Trying to simplify the climate to a discrete cause-effect system is the greatest insult to science since the geocentric solar system theory, which was a simple direct mechanism but not yet measurable (similar to the glaciers quoted earlier), and I expect the scientists back then didn't provide any apologies either after getting it wrong. But back to ocean acidification, it is a complex and till now little studied area of nature simply as it was not a practical issue worthy of such expensive and demanding investigation. The Chinese proverb if you look for trouble you will always find it has applied here since day one.

Ocean acidification summary

UN IPCC

#777579 - Fri Mar 09 2012 08:05 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mountaingoat]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: mountaingoat
The fact the change is happening so quickly and will increase when climate loops begin is par proof of mans involvement.

I don't know if you've read my entry in scitech chat about the climate loops, but till now no one has a clue about them (not many people on the entire net do, which was why I asked directly) so please could you add your own peer reviewed source for them as I've been waiting for months. Sounds a fair exchange to me wink

UN IPCC

#777590 - Fri Mar 09 2012 09:25 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Dissenting peer review wasn't allowed by the powers that were when this began twenty-five years ago. You had to be submitting papers which backed what they wanted to be heard. That situation is now coming to light. The system of scientific society peer review will see some changes. This internet/web exchange ability will be one of the driving forces to accomplish that change. As Marshall McLuhan said, "The medium is the message." In some cases, the medium was corrupt and only delivered erroneous messages. The interconnection of the WWW will bring truth. Everyone laughed at Wikipedia at the beginning and doomed that effort to failure by joke postings. See how that changed?

Thank you Satguru for the confidence. I spent many years in a calibration lab working on ph meters, thermocouples, temperature indicators and wheatstone bridges and even more years working in a shake and bake lab. Labratory Environmental theory and test methods and definition of terms were all I dealt with. I dealt with doing the work, not writing papers for grant acquiring.

#777650 - Sat Mar 10 2012 09:24 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

So basically your argument is that tens of thousands of scientists, all the scientific agencies like NASA etc are lying and cheating in the biggest conspiracy ever imagined. If you have that little trust in your fellow scientists it might be safer to live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and send your manifesto to the papers like Ted Kasinsky.

#777668 - Sat Mar 10 2012 11:05 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mountaingoat]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

So basically your argument is that tens of thousands of scientists, all the scientific agencies like NASA etc are lying and cheating in the biggest conspiracy ever imagined. If you have that little trust in your fellow scientists it might be safer to live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and send your manifesto to the papers like Ted Kasinsky.

There is a history of large scale frauds throughout time, from the South Sea Bubble to church indulgences. They all required aquiescence by authority, and all had in common that at the time were unknown to be fraudulent except by a few suspicious individuals who, like now, were either ridiculed, ignored, or silenced. But once they were uncovered one by one everyone since said how obvious they were in hindsight.

This has every trademark of exactly the same thing, the power structure is that of the mafia (get the authorities on your side and run the market, like carbon trading) and you don't get killed but sacked if you cross them from within, so most scientists do not want to lose their incomes so stay silent, or like a few like Patrick Moore of Greenpeace or Hal Lewis walk out or retire and then blow the whistle. But only insiders blowing whistles and taking the consequences will ever be heard, and that has not happened due to the immense pressure to keep the facade going. I read yesterday of a student who wanted to present skeptical data and papers to his professor and was told 'we don't look at that sort of thing'. At the time he was mystified, but many years later realise the professors had an axe to grind and simply would not take any alternative data, as it was about the cause and not the data.

Here's a history from a scientific journalist Climate alarmism history

Now you, like most others, follow the argument to authority as you have 99% faith in scientists. Not science, like me, but the specific individuals, who despite their incredible qualifications are a normal spread of typical humans regardless of their IQs. Fear and greed are not absent at any area, more greed and power present in politicians as that motivates more people to become one, like the police, but scientists and everyone else cannot dip below average as apart from maybe nurses very few professions attract saints. It is a positive reflection on you that you have such faith and trust in your fellow man, but as mehaul says, the internet allows a different amount of information to come out, and we discover all sorts of standard shenanigans present in all other areas, including law (no shortage there, it's a veritable hotbed of crooks), journalism, medicine (surely not?!), architecture (remember concrete cancer, not sealing metal rods in concrete to save money so they rusted and collapsed years later?). You get the drift.

Scientists are not crooked per se until the signs are there, but when they do scientists cannot be treated like saints as well just because they are, well, scientists. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but these conspiracies are de rigeur on all scales across the board, and the smoke coming out from this fire is so pervasive one by one each viewer will be unable to ignore it. But the faith most have in some professions being 'better' people than others, so entirely immune from normal human weaknesses the longer they'll all have to carry on their activities without being caught and stopped. You are doing the same as me, but mistrusting mehaul and all the others like Fred Singer, Richard Lindzen, Anthony Watts etc, all equally qualified, so in fact you have absolutely no problem with mistrusting scientists if they disagree with your opinion.
Do you realise that now I've pointed it out? If you have faith in scientists as immune from being wrong (and worse still knowingly) how can you choose which side is wrong? Is it really as easy as you believe?

Edited by satguru (Sat Mar 10 2012 11:10 AM)

UN IPCC

#777683 - Sat Mar 10 2012 12:22 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Elvis doesn't believe in Global Warming either. When I saw him at our local chip shop the other day he was quite full of the fact that his death was cooked up by a neighbouring burger joint as part of a worldwide conspiracy in which our best scientists are all crooks faking their pals' grant forms and results reviews.

I've worked with a few Nobel Laureates in my time and knew several quite well... so what proportion of them are you suggesting were cheats? I know one of them very well, if you call him a cheat he'll whack you through the courts sooner than you can say Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

This site gives far too much leeway to global warming deniers. I find it strange that we're not allowed to discuss all sorts of issues on FT for fear they may be political or controversial whilst others are allowed to put forward their views on this particular theory ad nauseam, no matter how slanted and skewed they are. To accuse people en masse of corruption is abominable and really ought not to be allowed.

#777709 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:34 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: flopsymopsy]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

I studied law and as a result learnt not to release anything before I had a decent case. I spent years working behind the scenes and was inundated with corroborative material before I finally went online and released it all. There's no secret on the inside, we have spoken to people who are happy to do so either in private or on the record, and Nigel Lawson has just explained it perfectly today now you ask.

Nigel Lawson, yet another comes clean

"Young scientists and young politicians feel obliged to keep their heads down and toe the line: research grants and promotion prospects are withheld if they do not. Anyone who dissents has to expect vilification. At my age and stage I am inured to vilification and, more importantly, I am able to speak truth to power, as they say, because my career is behind me. "

I have also put together over 10 year's worth of research here Organised fraud

and if you can even read a few pages and then come back and say I've made everything up I'd be surprised. This stuff isn't in any newspapers or on TV, but is online so you have to actively look for it, it won't come to you, but it's all out there. Not to mention the books I've read and personal interviews I've had, it all fits together very nicely and unfortunately it's that innate trust 99% of the public still have that allows it to continue.

Edited by satguru (Sat Mar 10 2012 03:01 PM)

UN IPCC

#777765 - Sat Mar 10 2012 06:11 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Just one hundred years ago the major contending scientific issue was evolution and the search for the missing link. The evidence proffered: the Piltdown Man which turned out to be a complete fabricaction by the scientists involved, all leaders in their field.
In Religion, full of good people, but recently tainted by the pedophile cover-up conspiracies.
In Government, each country has its own and probably many examples of wayward behavior but I recall the one of honest leaders caught in the act of influence peddling in the 70s USA, ABSCAM.
In Finances, take your pick of conspiracies to flaunt the law and steal money. To mislead is one way profits are made. In Medicine there are countless stories of some in that community being un-honest to be polite. There is the current radiological accreditation examination cheating that is coming to light. And those cheats will be the ones to sit in review of future peer papers? Are all doctors tainted? No, but many who have risen to the top got there by system abuse.
Shoe salesmen may be our sole source of honest folk. They always tell you the more expensive shoe looks better which is no lie, even if the shoe doesn't fit well.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Mar 10 2012 06:15 PM)

#777774 - Sat Mar 10 2012 06:48 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Here's the second quote from a PhD qualified scientist on the comments below the article:

"I’m reminded of the PhD physics teacher who introduced me to the subject, when I asked why he wouldn’t read some papers I’d found contradicting AGW, he said they were of no interest and he didn’t have to read them, I paraphrase it was a while ago. And then I found the hockey stick and the saga of getting the data, and the conclusion, that any random number input would give a hockey stick because the programme was designed to do this, and the skullduggery of having people sacked and the campaign of denigration against any scientist who had objections, he still wasn’t interested in discussing it. I was rather shocked at the time, he considered himself a scientist. I’m no longer surprised by this. This was never about the science, that’s just been the vehicle for “it”. "

Flopsy, I can't count the huge number of times I've heard this from respectable sources. Why on earth would the same story keep coming up wherever you look? How many examples do you want provided before you start accepting something could be possible?

UN IPCC

#777849 - Sun Mar 11 2012 02:23 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
kevro03 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Illinois USA
After reading the data and linking your websites.... So what? Please both sides let me know what your interpretations mean to the layman. I take the warming theory as fact and do what? I disregard the theory and do what? My feeling is that if we really think we have a significant impact on the planet...put your head in the sand for about 150 million years and wake up to a true result.

#777858 - Sun Mar 11 2012 03:52 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: kevro03]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Nice to see some others who have trust in science. I put the case for Human induced climate change not to convince the deniers but to give the waverers who read about it an alternative view. I think it is impossible to convince the deniers who smear tens of thousand of scientists and ALL the scientific community. What worries me is the attack on science that is occurring. I wish people would inform themselves about the scientific method and how rigourous it is. The deniers love pointing out how science has changed its views after further evidence. That is the true success of the scientific method in that it comes to the best conclusion with the best available evidence at the time and will change when it is proved wrong. The alternative is believing what you believe because you believe it. If you don't believe the peer review of science is not rigorous talk to some scientists. They rip into each other with relish because to find a new theory is a big deal.

#777894 - Sun Mar 11 2012 09:21 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: kevro03]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Firstly the null hypothesis does not make a denier. It makes a jury member who must declare the defendant innocent until proved guilty beyond reasonable doubt. So go and call every jury member who hears some evidence but not enough for a crime a denier and see how long your nose lasts before bleeding. That is a very low place to stoop and if you were really in the know you'd just present the figures yourself but a lot easier just to deny your opposition (see what I did there?).

As for man made warming kevro, this is not the thread to do so, but will just add a quick summary but plenty more on my world about us thread which has so many reasonable doubts I don't think mountaingoat himself could dismiss them all however much he wanted to. That's what it's all about, not denying but having to present a case from scratch and in science and law create enough repeatable and testable evidence to convince your peers (scientists or jury members) of proof in law beyond reasonable doubt, and in science I'd suggest possibly even higher.

Just the skeleton then, back in the 70s a few scientists picked up Svente Arrhenius' paper from the turn of the century as CO2 was rising and they wondered what the effects would be. In the 80s James Hansen of NASA made a series of predictions the earth would warm by 2C by 2010 and the seas would rise metres by 2100. Then the hockey stick diagram was written by Michael Mann, which actually totally contradicted the IPCC's own diagram, showing a much warmer medieval warm period, and they simply removed it to make way for his.

Any experiment relies primarily on observation. 30 years or so later I observe:

1) CO2 has risen 50% since 1850 providing 390ppm

2) The temperature has risen 0.8C, 0.4C of that officially attributable to CO2, the rest to natural causes.

3) The IPCC's lowest temperature range is still above the current temperature.

4) CO2 at 260ppm is meant to add 1C to the temperature. More than that at 560ppm is due to positive feedback (mentioned already as feedback loops but not yet verified as requested). In fact as a warm body releases heat evenly to a cooler medium until equilibrium there is no mechanism for a delayed release in physics or James Hansen's theory, but that would have to be added for it to continue to be used, as the current observation shows after half an experiment the rise shows slightly negative feedback.

5) The sea, the thermometer of the world as easier to measure than average temperature as relatively more stable, has risen around 8 inches a century, and was heading the same way until it just fell back to the 2005 level. The sea ice, the usual hobby horse, has been stable overall apart from a 2% dip in 2007. The Arctic is warming while the Antarctic, 90% of the ice total, is growing 1% a decade.

There's the basic evidence, apart from the obviously high CO2 and rising the other parameters are within pretty standard ranges, with the 'warmest years ever' being because we have been warming since the little ice age, and 'ever' in this case means since 1979 when satellites were used. I don't know how they can use a word outside its meaning but it wouldn't be the first time. So given such a scenario what are most people supposed to conclude? You are all 20 years behind the loop, the new data has taken over since then and made the models pretty well obsolete, but as the scientists and politicians haven't caught up of course no one else has unless they've done their own research. How can just the basics above indicate anything more than they say?

UN IPCC

#777931 - Sun Mar 11 2012 11:04 AM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

"The scientists and politicians haven't caught up" Thank God we have hyper intelligent beings to fill us in on what the dumb scientists have missed. So 20 years ago they had a theory and have had no further studies or taken on board any new information. They were probably too busy playing Pong and Space Invaders.

#777938 - Sun Mar 11 2012 12:08 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mountaingoat]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I don't see how you get to interpreting what was said, "Some scientists and politicians made mistakes", into meaning 'all scientists are wrong and we are right'. And over a short distance, the Earth's surface can be flat! There, I said it.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Mar 11 2012 12:17 PM)

#778011 - Sun Mar 11 2012 03:41 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mehaul]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Please read the last 3 lines of Satgurus post mehaul. My reply was not on your post.

#778042 - Sun Mar 11 2012 05:01 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: mountaingoat]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

"The scientists and politicians haven't caught up" Thank God we have hyper intelligent beings to fill us in on what the dumb scientists have missed. So 20 years ago they had a theory and have had no further studies or taken on board any new information. They were probably too busy playing Pong and Space Invaders.

I wasn't referring to all the scientists...

Edited by satguru (Sun Mar 11 2012 05:10 PM)

UN IPCC

#778094 - Sun Mar 11 2012 11:30 PM Re: Solar Particle Storm [Re: satguru]
kevro03 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Illinois USA
Thank you,

I will go to the correct thread. Very well articulated though. That is the impetus that will send me to read the correct thread.

Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943