Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#777325 - Thu Mar 08 2012 11:22 PM Kony 2012
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
If you've somehow escaped hearing about this then you can visit the website to see what it's all about. Kony 2012

I don't particularly want to talk about the Ugandan issue but more about the campaign.

I have found the whole reaction of Kony 2012 fascinating and would like your opinion too. It is almost cultish the way that people on forums, facebook and other places are defending the campaign and the organisers ... and equally on the other side of the fence there are people with another opinion.

It seems to be galvanising a generation who don't have to do that much to feel as if they are actually doing something. I think that part of it is brilliant. A few bucks a month, write to a culture or political leader, whack up a few posters is something that even the poorest college student can do.

So will it work? Will the pressure on the politicians build up enough that they go in and find and get this bloke? Is any attention to the cause a good thing? Or should the attention be directed elsewhere?

What are your thoughts?

#777356 - Fri Mar 09 2012 12:07 AM Re: Kony 2012 [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I have been receiving the email about this from my students . I can only feel happy that they are concerning themselves with a subject that doesnt concern the latest i-phone, gadget , Lady Gaga concert tickets or their personal woes. A good step..

#777392 - Fri Mar 09 2012 02:17 AM Re: Kony 2012 [Re: ren33]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: WA, Australia           
I've known about Invisible Children long before this campaign, and might I say I'm glad this has gone viral. Kony must be stopped. But, this campaign hasn't been without its critics, and it is also important to hear what they have to say. It is always important to know where your money is going before you rush out and donate to it. That said, Invisible Children have responded to the criticism, and I mist say I found it pretty convincing and I will continue to tell people about it. You can see their response on their official website. I hope to participate in "Cover the Night" and I'll hopefully get an action kit. I know exactly go to give my other bracelet to...

Edited by Daaanieeel (Fri Mar 09 2012 02:18 AM)

#778392 - Tue Mar 13 2012 06:02 AM Re: Kony 2012 [Re: Daaanieeel]
mayneeyak Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Northern Ontario Canada  
Good cause, but I wish this much attention was given to the Iraqi, Afghani, and other war children who were killed by Bush and his warmongering henchmen. That includes Steven Harper, Tony Blair, and all world leaders who consider dead innocents to be "collateral damage".

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943