Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#776974 - Wed Mar 07 2012 08:29 PM What did you read as a kid?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
What were your favourite books that you read when you were a kid?

I loved to read when I was a child but my favourite books were probably the Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton.
I would read them over and over and over and even though they are pretty out of date now I've read them all to my son, some more than once. smile

#776976 - Wed Mar 07 2012 08:43 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Copago]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Read a lot of different stuff but I'd have to say Kipling. I re-read "Kim" a couple months ago, and there were big swathes of it I still had memorized, even though it's been forty years.

#777014 - Thu Mar 08 2012 01:02 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: agony]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
The earliest books I read were the same kinds of books I read today. I remember reading a biography on Mickey Mantle, one of Lou Holtz's first books (forget the name), a book on Babe Ruth, thrown in there was Jurassic Park and Hunt for Red October. I like biographies/memoirs and still do very much so.

#777028 - Thu Mar 08 2012 02:48 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: pyonir]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
The first book I really remember being truly engrossed in was "The Little White Horse"by Elizabeth Gouge. Does anyone remember it?
Noel Streatfield was a favourite (Ballet Shoes , White Boots etc). I adored Wind in the Willows, (still do).
I was not allowed Enid Blyton, my mother thought they were for children of limited intelligence(don't ask, although I do tend to think Noddie is a bit of a wally, to put it mildly. My daughter told her teacher :"My Mummy thinks Noddy is a cretin!")
I didn't tend to go for the ones adults liked and told me I would love. I think possible the worst thing to say is "Oh you must read it. I loved it."
I was brought up with Beatrix Potter, and I did love them really.
Another one that comes to mind is Epaminondas. So funny. I know I shall think of more.

#777034 - Thu Mar 08 2012 03:53 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ren33]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
I loved Enid Blyton, but I was more fond of the Famous Five than the Secret Seven. I read a few of her other series - Five Find-Outers, Adventure Series and the Faraway Tree. My parents were fine with me reading Blyton, although my grandma wasn't too fond of them.

~(_8(I)

#777039 - Thu Mar 08 2012 04:01 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: AdamM7]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Another Enid Blyton kid here too! The first books I remember were the Magic Faraway Tree series. Then I moved on to the Famous Five and Secret Seven. This relatively quickly morphed into Alistair MacLean and Hammond Innes, interspersed with Andre Norton. In between, I remember loving Roald Dahl.

#777057 - Thu Mar 08 2012 05:39 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MikeMaster99]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
'Cider with Rosie' - Laurie Lee
'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' - Thomas Hardy
'The Pearl' - John Steinbeck

Oh, and 'MAD' magazine/comic!

#777077 - Thu Mar 08 2012 07:32 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: sisterseagull]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Eagle and Girl!

#777092 - Thu Mar 08 2012 08:54 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
The Chalet School books - loved those. Not much Enid Blyton though, I never seemed to get into those. Kidnapped I remeber having as a prize for coming top of my class when I was about 10, I've still got it somewhere.

#777096 - Thu Mar 08 2012 09:25 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Christinap]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
The Enid Blyton Adventure series - I got a set for my kids and it didn't interest them. When I re-read it I was appalled at how chauvinistic it was, but I never noticed at the time.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#777116 - Thu Mar 08 2012 11:23 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: skunkee]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
The Famous Five for me too! I loved the Naughtiest Girl in School too (because I wasn't!). I would read anything I could get my hands on though. Encyclopaediae, atlases, street directories are all part of my reading CV. I did stop at phone books though wink

#777126 - Thu Mar 08 2012 11:46 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
I'll be showing my age when I say that my first series was Honey Bunch and then I moved onto The Bobbsey Twins followed by Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys. One of my all time favorites was Girl of the Limberlost.

#777134 - Thu Mar 08 2012 12:09 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Dagny1]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I had a couple of Bobbsey Twins books as well. Also loved What Katy Did and the others in the series. They're still up in the loft.

#777153 - Thu Mar 08 2012 12:54 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Christinap]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I read everything and anything that fell into my hands: Any Enid Blyton I could find (Mallory Towers, St Claire's, Famous five, Secret Seven, Five Find-outers, Famous Four, The 'secret' series ... the list goes on and on), The Chalet School series, the Saddler's Wells series, All Noel Streatfield books, the Mary Poppins series, CS Lewis, all the classics like Little Lord Faultneroy, Katy Did series, Swiss Family Robinson, Last of the Mohicans, Heidi series, The Secret Garden, the Water Babies, Coral Island, Jane Eyre, The Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Little House on the Prairie series .... I even read Hemmingway and a little Tolkien by ten or eleven. If I were to list all my childhood loves I'd be here till tomorrow!

I read and re-read every and anything, and I still re-read with great pleasure some of the few that I actually owned and still have on my bookshelf. Most of my books were borrowed from the library, the school library, borrowed from my neighbours or my grandmother's neighbours ...

Edited by Santana2002 (Thu Mar 08 2012 01:04 PM)

#777609 - Sat Mar 10 2012 12:14 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Santana2002]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I too read anything I could lay my hands on (whether it was suitable for children or not). I remember reading many of the abovementioned books.

Some of my childhood books, which I still have, include the "Anne of Green Gables" series, "Born Free", "The Sword in the Stone", "Little Women" and "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie".

I had a lot of Enid Blyton books too and liked the "Naughtiest Girl" and "Famous Five" series best. I saved them for coolcat90 but she didn't like them at all. I guess she couldn't relate to them, or to that era or culture, whereas I could, since my mother's side of the family was English.

I had lots of animal and nature books that I spent hours poring over - "All About Dogs", "Marvels and Mysteries of our Animal World" and "The Amazing World of Nature". No wonder I majored in biology.

Years ago, I did a bookbinding course at night school. There were about a dozen ladies in the class and almost every one was rebinding their copies of "Anne of Green Gables", "Little Women" and "Snugglepot and Cuddlepie".

P.S. I was given a complete set of 7 Donna Parker books and some Trixie Beldon Books when I was young. Anyone remember those?

Edited by MotherGoose (Sat Mar 10 2012 12:15 AM)

#777610 - Sat Mar 10 2012 12:33 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MotherGoose]
ozzz2002 Offline

I lived on a farm and went to a tiny primary school that had no library. My reading material consisted of a few novels, lots of reference/almanac type books, the 'Weekly Times', a newspaper for farmers, and an ancient set of encyclopaedia, which I read from cover to cover- all 24 volumes!

When I went to high school, I was amazed to discover the library and consequently read several books a week- fiction, non-fiction, reference, anything.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#777611 - Sat Mar 10 2012 12:40 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ozzz2002]
kevro03 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Illinois USA
The first books I fell in love with was The Boxcar Children. Then in 70 was a book Oliver based on the the movie, not Oliver Twist. Kon Tiki hits my memory next and then any and all books I could put my hands on

#777612 - Sat Mar 10 2012 01:00 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ozzz2002]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

I loved the Donna Parker books! I read them over and over. I saw one in an op shop a while ago and I got all sentimental. smile Anyone remember the Three Investigators books? Three teenage boys investigate crimes with the aid of a limousine and chauffeur service they won. I loved them, read them many times and still have them somewhere along with all the Nancy Drew books. When I was in primary school I'd go shopping with my mother on Saturday mornings. We'd be done by about 10 am and we frequently stopped off at a large op shop near us to check out the books. I'd look for Enid Blyton, Donna Parker or the Three Investigators in particular while she checked out the Agatha Christies or anything else that took her fancy.

#777614 - Sat Mar 10 2012 02:27 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Tizzabelle]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I read anything and everything. My mother used to complain that I never heard a thing when I was reading, and I soon found out what she meant when my own daughter (and now my grandchildren) did the same thing. One of my favourites, among many of those already mentioned, was Elsie J Oxenham, especially The Abbey series. Very dated, of course, but I still enjoy reading them. I've rebuilt my collection but some of them are impossible to find or at prices that even I balk at. My daughter is still updating her 'Chalet School' books and even visited the part of Austria where some are set, but I've never read them.

#777625 - Sat Mar 10 2012 05:55 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: rossian]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
MotherGoose's response reminded me of the 'How and Why Wonder Books' my parents brought home for my brothers and I. They were read many times (especially the one on dinosaurs). Apparently this was to stem the constant barrage of 'why' questions from us kids. Now my own sons are exacting retribution with exactly the same style of questioning and my mum thinks its hilarious.

Along with many others, I also read voraciously and almost anything with words - I did draw the line at Anne of Green Gables. Not cool for a 9-10 year old boy!

#777638 - Sat Mar 10 2012 08:39 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MikeMaster99]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Fortunately I grew up in a house full of books and my parents never actually forbade me to read anything except for one book. I vividly recall reading that book, a Dennis Wheatly, "The Devil Rides Out" under the covers with a torch at the age of about 9. It definitely gave me nightmares, but my parents never did find out (or if they did they never said) that it was that book that caused them.

#777639 - Sat Mar 10 2012 08:44 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MikeMaster99]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia  
All the Anne of Green Gables series of books and Emily of New Moon as well - anything by L.M.Montgomery in fact

The Naughtiest Girl in School

The Pollyanna Books

Encyclopedias (looking for naughty pictures along the way)

The Famous Five and Secret Seven and Secret Three

Piles of Comics

Then on to the Agatha Christie books

#777640 - Sat Mar 10 2012 08:46 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Creedy]
Creedy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Coffs Harbour NSW Australia  
I forgot - the Katy books as well

#777661 - Sat Mar 10 2012 10:29 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Creedy]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

"MotherGoose's response reminded me of the 'How and Why Wonder Books' my parents brought home for my brothers and I?

You know, I almost included them in my list. I had about a dozen or so of these books. I remember that I had the ones on Rocks and Minerals, Shells, Dinosaurs, Butterflies and Moths, Dogs, Wild Animals, Coins and Currency, Horses, and Insects.

#777662 - Sat Mar 10 2012 10:31 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MotherGoose]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

"Then on to the Agatha Christie books"

I was introduced to these when I was in high school and have been reading them ever since. I have the complete set.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom