Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#777665 - Sat Mar 10 2012 10:32 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MotherGoose]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
"lots of reference/almanac type books, the 'Weekly Times', a newspaper for farmers, and an ancient set of encyclopaedia, which I read from cover to cover- all 24 volumes!
"

No wonder you are so good at trivia.

#777685 - Sat Mar 10 2012 12:25 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MotherGoose]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Hah! This thread is like revisiting my childhood!!! I too read the Three investigators, and Polyanna, Naughtiest girl, encyclopaedias, dictionaries, medical dictionary even my grandfather's beloved (& enormous) bible with its canvas cover, wafer-thin tissue pages edged in gold leaf and a few magnificent colour pages ...

#777764 - Sat Mar 10 2012 05:59 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Santana2002]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
I still have my copies of "Pollyanna" and "Pollyanna Grows Up" - but I preferred "Anne of Green Gables". I have 17 books from that series.

#777933 - Sun Mar 11 2012 11:10 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MotherGoose]
C30 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
"Swallows & Amazons"......"Dr. Doolittle"..........then I discovered "Hornblower" when around 12 years old!

#777947 - Sun Mar 11 2012 01:08 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: C30]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I lived in the mountains and our tiny school had a very limited library, but the bookmobile would show up at the Post Office every two weeks and I would check out the maximum number of books allowed. Then when I was older, my mother would take me down the mountain to town to the large Public Library. I read so much but my favorites were/are: Laura Ingalls Wilder 'Little House' series, Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins, The Boy Who Stole the Elephant by Julilly H. Kohler, The Wednesday Witch by Ruth Chew, The School Train (whose author escapes me), and all the horse books by Marguerite Henry.

#777966 - Sun Mar 11 2012 01:46 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
ClaraSue, my daughter was a big Ruth Chew fan - I remember her once telling me she wanted to move to Brooklyn, so she could go to Prospect Park.

#778506 - Tue Mar 13 2012 02:04 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: agony]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Sighhhhhhh! Such memories here!

I started off with the traditional fairy stories (Read it Yourself, and Well-Loved Tales) and the rhyming books (Smoke and Fluff, and The Runaway) And I can still recite some of the rhyming books after cough *35* cough years laugh
The Tiger who came to Tea by Judith Kerr was always one of my favourites, and it is still quite popular with the boys even now :)The Mr Men and Topsy and Tim books were also read and read again.
I read every single Blyton book I could lay my hands on - short stories, series, it didn't matter. For some reason I always preferred The Famous Five over The Secret Seven. And got to admit, after all these years, I've been known to re-read Blyton! I was also a avid "Chalet School" fan, I collected all of them. A good friend gave me lots of Bobbsey Twins books and Nancy Drews.
I read most of the "Sweet Valley" series, and the "Babysitters Club" books. They were OK, but didn't make all that big impression on me. Unfortunately, nor did the "Narnia" series, or the "Lord of the Rings", although I am gradually beginning to appreciate this series more.
Then, when I was in the my early/late teens, I found Agatha Christie. I don't think there's been another mystery writer who'd made such an impression on me. Obviously, I have all the books, and the CDs too laugh
The series what really got me reading again was the Harry Potter series. I found the series when I was quite old, but I really loved the series from the beginning.
Finally, although I am sure Mum read to me (I've been told that I could read before I could talk!) my main memories are of Dad reading me a bedtime story, or simply sitting on his knee, listening. He had the sort of voice that could carry you off into a new world, while reading smilee

#778532 - Tue Mar 13 2012 03:26 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ClaraSue]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
I've always been a reader and some that I can remember from sooooo long ago are, The Bobbsey Twins, the whole Wizard of Oz series, Kipling's Just So Stories with Rikki Tikki Tavi being my favorite. In middle school I found Agatha Christie and Stephen King! Other favorites are A Wrinkle In Time and Island of the Blue Dolphins.

#788090 - Sat Apr 21 2012 08:35 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Copago]
authorspalace Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington DC  USA
I'm still a kid so I'll mention just a few out of the millions of books I've read:
The Borrowers
Henry Reed, Inc.
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Gulliver's Travels
The Three Musketeers
Treasure Island
Ben-Hur
Maybe some of you have read any of these books?

#788700 - Mon Apr 23 2012 10:13 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: authorspalace]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Could you perhaps comment on some of these? The purpose of this thread is to discuss books , not to make lists of what we have read. I am sure most of our members have read those too, but would welcome your views!
Thanks

#788744 - Tue Apr 24 2012 04:51 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: MotherGoose]
navaho56 Offline
Participant

Loc: Glasgow Scotland
Treasure Island and Kidnapped by R.L Stevenson and loved the Tintin books ("Blistering Barnacles")

#788769 - Tue Apr 24 2012 06:42 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ClaraSue]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
I read all of the Wizard of Oz books, also Island of the Blue Dolphin and a Wrinkle in Time. These are the titles that have stuck in my brains after 50plus years. I remember getting up earlier than I needed to for school just so I could have time to read! Now I get up earlier to play on Fun Trivia!

I see I've posted twice, sorry!

Edited by golfmom08 (Tue Apr 24 2012 06:46 AM)

#788843 - Tue Apr 24 2012 11:07 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: golfmom08]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Not very PC these days, but I read most of Captain W E Johns' Biggles series and loved them. I wish I'd kept my copies, they're worth a few bob now!

#788946 - Tue Apr 24 2012 03:00 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: dsimpy]
guitargoddess Offline
Old Museum Relic

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I read a lot more as a kid than I do now. Some favourite series were The Babysitters Club and its spinoffs, all the Sweet Valley series, Nancy Drew (first the yellow-covered ones, then all the spinoffs of that as well), most of the blue-covered Hardy Boys. I could never get into Anne of Green Gables. A Little Princess was a favourite, but I never liked The Secret Garden.

Like another poster on the previous page, I LOVED the Boxcar Children. Another series that I can't quite remember who wrote... but the first in the series was something about a teacher being a vampire... I must go Google that.. Also liked Gordon Korman books, the Screech Owl series, and Judy Blume - it broke my heart a little when I gave my cousin a copy of Are You There God, It's Me Margaret for her 11th birthday and she didn't like it!

I also have two large volumes of three books each that I made sure were never given away to a charity book sale or packed up to be forgotten, and they're now on my "adult bookshelf" - Kit Pearson's Guests of War trilogy (liked her other books too, mostly) and Bernice Thurman Hunter's Booky trilogy.

#790219 - Sun Apr 29 2012 08:10 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: guitargoddess]
agony Offline

Administrator

gf, would that be the Bailey School Kids? Or maybe Bruce Coville's "My Teacher is an Alien" series.

#795594 - Sat May 19 2012 06:00 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: agony]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
I've enjoyed reading about what y'all have read. Since we're dating ourselves, my first reading included river rocks and tree bark. Then someone decided to carve mud. He came up with "Gilgamesh: The Epic!" It didn't suck.

I have loved books all of my life. "Where the Wild Things Are" was probably my favorite book over all of Dr. Seuss' books (though I loved each).

My first choice book (when I got to choose) was "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." Since I know all of you have read it, I'll not elaborate on the content. Suffice it to say, as a young man, I joined the USN.

In high school, I discovered (much as Al Gore created the internet) Stephen King. But that's probably a different thread. . . .

#796016 - Mon May 21 2012 09:42 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: bitterlyold]
guitargoddess Offline
Old Museum Relic

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Yes, Bailey School Kids! That was it, agony smile I read a ton of those, had my mother buying them every month when we got the Scholastic books flyer

#796182 - Mon May 21 2012 05:21 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: guitargoddess]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
I remember collecting all the Nancy Drew books as a child, and they probably fostered my love of mysteries that has endured to this day. Someone else mentioned the Boxcar Children series, and I still recall how, whenever I felt particularly unloved and the family misfit, those books fed my fantasy of actually belonging to another family.
I also went through genre obessions when I was very young (well under 10) and would read every book on mythology in the library, working my way through all the different cultures. I did the same thing with fairy tales, folk tales, and God knows what else. My absolute favorite childhood novels, though, were the two "Alice" books.
And does anyone remember reading an historical novel for children called "Escape From Warsaw?" (Alt. title was The Silver Sword.) I absolutely loved it, and I'm sure it had something to do with my lifelong interest in history, particularly WW II.

#796213 - Mon May 21 2012 07:16 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: jabb5076]
agony Offline

Administrator

I didn't read "Escape from Warsaw" but see it all the time on lists of best remembered childhood books - you're not alone!

#796239 - Mon May 21 2012 09:31 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: agony]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Schoolchildren still read and love "The Silver Sword".

#796245 - Mon May 21 2012 11:58 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ren33]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I remember 'The Little White Horse' it was one of my favourites too. smile
I was brought up army, then was incarcerated in boarding school for three years. The upshot of which was I got to see very little tv, we either didn't have one or it wasn't in English. So I read a huge amount and still do.
I started with traditional fairy tales, plus Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows, Narnia and the Moomins. All completely unrelated to my real life situations and all the better for it. Lose yourself in a book was a real theme for me.
then went onto a lot of historical novels like Rosemary Sutcliff and Henry Treece. An American boy called Tim introduced me to Asterix when I was 7 and I'm still a fan.
One of the great things about moving around is that I link specific books and authors to people and places I met them for the first time, so when I re-read, I'm still connected to them.
I was reading LOTR, Mallory, Chaucer, Odyssey and Ovid's Metamorphoses by the time I was 11 and then I discovered sci fi.
Currently living with around 5,000 books and a kindle. I'm very good at making bookshelves.
Boy loves books, Nerdlet loves her computer and has only one shelf of literature.

#826075 - Sun Sep 23 2012 05:34 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ClaraSue]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I’ve always loved reading, but unfortunately couldn’t get my hands on new materials when I was a kid. For that reason, I don’t know that I have favorites from that time—although I read James Howe’s”Howliday Inn” at age ten (I still remember it, though it’s certainly not a favorite. Then again, it was a library book.) Not that there’s anything wrong with that—I’d just have liked to read at home, and did indeed (well, re-read was more like the word).

The first book I owned (I believe I got it in Transitional, so the year between kindergarten and first grade—not preschool, as I’d been there as well). After that, when I couldn’t find reading material it was the pocket dictionary (seven Braille volumes) or the encyclopedia I read (when bored, I’ve been known to read anything).

It wasn’t until I was in my twenties that I read some popular series of the day—although I can remember a few titles from my teens that I ordered on tape (from the same library that sent me 28 Braille volumes, most of which went back unread as I simply didn’t have room for them. Besides, they either sent me books that were (a) too old for me, or (b) that I had no interest in, or even (c) that were at least seven volumes long—for one book!

Availability of Braille materials is easier for kids now then they used to be (though there’s still a wider selection of audiobooks).

#953769 - Wed Dec 05 2012 11:28 AM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: Jazmee27]
mpkitty Offline
Participant

Loc: Spokane Washington USA       
I forgot to mention my first library book. When I had just learned to read, my
aunt took me to the wonderful Carnegie library in our town and got me a library card.
The first book I checked out was The Little Match Girl. As you can see, it was unforgettable.

#958077 - Sat Dec 29 2012 04:01 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: ClaraSue]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I was a big Enid Blyton and C.S. Lewis fan as a child.

I had one book that I hid in my wardrobe so that nobody could borrow it. I read it over and over again. As I read I would pull tiny bits off of the page and eat them. Eventually the parts with print were all that remained. That book was "The Faraway Tree".

#958084 - Sat Dec 29 2012 04:34 PM Re: What did you read as a kid? [Re: zippolover]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
You and me both!*
My Faraway books are now held together with sellotape that is itself held together with sellotape that is itself held together with sellotape. smilee

*Excepting the eating part.

Edited by Chavs (Sat Dec 29 2012 04:34 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom