Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#777799 - Sat Mar 10 2012 07:54 PM DST in USA and Canada again
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
It's that time of year again. Time to "spring forward" in the winter to daylight saving time.

#777814 - Sat Mar 10 2012 09:26 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: dg_dave]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Thanks! I completely forgot that that was this weekend.

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#777816 - Sat Mar 10 2012 09:28 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: LadyCaitriona]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
All the times in my house all digital,so they change without any thought from me.

#777823 - Sat Mar 10 2012 10:37 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: LadyCaitriona]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
I completely forgot that that was this weekend.

I still want to think it's the first week of April at times also. In all honesty, I wish they'd pick a time and leave it alone!

#777864 - Sun Mar 11 2012 06:19 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: dg_dave]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Ah frown I remembered about DST last night, but do you think I remembered to change my clocks before I fell asleep last night? Result, I was an hour later than planned in getting beef in my crockpot this morning - hopefully it's still ready by noon!

I think we should just do away with this nonsense, it just confuses people.

#777881 - Sun Mar 11 2012 08:32 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: guitargoddess]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Luckily, living in Arizona, we don't change our clocks so I don't have to run around changing them all. However, I do have to remember that now my sister isn't on the same time zone as I am so I have to be careful when calling her so as not to wake her up after she goes to bed at night.

#777920 - Sun Mar 11 2012 10:38 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: ClaraSue]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

This video is really interesting:

Daylight Saving Time Explained

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#778038 - Sun Mar 11 2012 04:47 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: LadyCaitriona]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
We have a contest on a radio station to see who had to change the most clocks each year. With clocks on everything now some have had to change 11.

#778066 - Sun Mar 11 2012 08:23 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: mountaingoat]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

When my grandfather was living, he tinkered with clocks as a hobby, since he was disabled. At one point, he had 31 clocks to change twice a year!

#780294 - Tue Mar 20 2012 08:12 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: dg_dave]
JediMasterJoy Offline
Participant

Loc: Mississippi USA
I liked the other time better. I already miss it.

#780991 - Fri Mar 23 2012 08:15 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: JediMasterJoy]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

If my memory serves me right, isn't it this weekend that Europe springs forward?

#780999 - Fri Mar 23 2012 10:03 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: dg_dave]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Yes, Dave, we lose the hour between 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. Greenwich Mean Time on Sunday.

#781085 - Fri Mar 23 2012 01:58 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: TabbyTom]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
And we fall back an hour in Oz next weekend.

#781628 - Mon Mar 26 2012 02:32 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: Tizzabelle]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'm annoyed by the whole thing. Firstly I was born in Saskatchewan, where they still do not change the clocks. Secondly, they keep changing the date. Thirdly, I don't give a crap when the US changes their times, why do we have to match their dates?

It's good that my husband doesn't have silly issues with anything and puts up with my rantings (no one else would lol). He dutifully goes around twice per year and changes all 8 clocks on the various devices. One thing I found odd was that Telus didn't change the time on the phone until 24 hours AFTER the ACTUAL time change (unplugging and replugging thereby resetting the phone had no effect either). Hopeless. I think I'll get rid of our "land phone" soon. Cheaper to run a cell (and at least the time is correct lol).

#781629 - Mon Mar 26 2012 02:47 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: Jakeroo]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I am glad that we have now caught up with the US time change, I get so used to the site maintenance being at 10am here that it throws me when it is at 9am for a while as that is normally the time that I first check in here.

#781644 - Mon Mar 26 2012 08:12 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: sue943]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Quote:
I'm annoyed by the whole thing. Firstly I was born in Saskatchewan, where they still do not change the clocks.

It strikes me as pretty silly too. I don't mind doing everything an hour earlier in the spring and summer if that's what other people want. But why fiddle with the clocks? Effectively, the government is telling me that it thinks I'm (a) too darn lazy to get up in the mornings and (b) so utterly stupid that, if I can be persuaded to alter my clock, I won't realize it's an hour earlier!

#781684 - Mon Mar 26 2012 01:15 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: TabbyTom]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'm a bit of a lone voice, I see - I approve of DST entirely.

Where I live, the sun rises at 4am in the summer. Everybody getting up an hour earlier means that instead of all of us sleeping through that daylight, we are using it. We all go to bed an hour earlier, too, meaning that we are less likely to need artificial light. It's a cost-free way of drastically reducing energy costs.

If it were not mandated - that is, if it weren't official, but simply left to the individual to change habits or not, it wouldn't work. Not much point in getting up an hour earlier if nothing is open, you're not needed at your job, etc. If we didn't fiddle with the clocks, it just wouldn't happen.

I was a little annoyed when we changed the date to fit with the US, but the reality is working very well, so I don't mind now. This spring it worked so very well - the days had started to get longer anyway, and the time change was just a big jump at exactly the right time. It was far enough into the spring that most of us still were going to work in daylight, so it just felt like a big bonus of daylight. I can't tell you how many people remarked on how light it was in the evening and how nice that was, in the two weeks after the time change. It was almost as if we'd forgotten we'd done it for ourselves, by setting our clocks ahead, and instead it was a wonderful gift from Mother Nature.

#781688 - Mon Mar 26 2012 01:20 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: agony]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Originally Posted By: agony
Where I live, the sun rises at 4am in the summer.

Holy wee hours, Batman, that's early! Does the sun stay out after 10pm?

#781838 - Tue Mar 27 2012 01:33 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: dg_dave]
agony Online   content

Administrator

It sets tenish at midsummer, but our dusk is so long that there is a little light in the west for about an hour afterward.

#781880 - Tue Mar 27 2012 11:12 AM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: agony]
DivineMsDRL Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Okotoks Alberta Canada       
I quite like the DST. Agony, you are not alone. But then again, look at where I live. I remember in my younger days, getting up at 3 a.m., driving 1 hour west, to be at my favourite fishing spot when the sun rose.

#781966 - Tue Mar 27 2012 04:51 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: DivineMsDRL]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Yeah, I'm about 250 km north of you, so the summer day is just that bit longer - and the winter day that bit shorter...

#782037 - Tue Mar 27 2012 09:27 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Yes I certainly agree with that point : )
What you "save" in one season, is lost in the other.
There is no advantage in the long run (over the course of an entire year) that I can see.

#782238 - Wed Mar 28 2012 04:00 PM Re: DST in USA and Canada again [Re: Jakeroo]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Looks like it's time for my twice yearly "I hate Daylight Saving" rant then!
It finishes here this weekend coming and it can't come soon enough. I live at the western end of the time zone and it's 7am and the sun is still not up fully. Feel like we're wasting hours in a day.

smile

Moderator:  ren33, sue943