Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#779909 - Mon Mar 19 2012 12:34 AM Up the Tigers
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Just going to be a bit indulgent here and tell you a story laugh

My Mum was a huge Wests Tigers fan in the NRL. She would go to all the games .. even those in New Zealand and FNQ and even went to the one in England when we got to play the challenge cup in 2006. And living in country NSW her closest game was about 300kms away but she went to them all ... it's what she did.
And she also went to all the functions .. grand final luncheons, hall of fame dinners, fan days .. you name it she was there.

As many of you know here she died in early February from cancer. While she had had bouts of it a couple times over the years the last bout lasted only 2 months so it was thankfully quick.

Last weekend the Tigers club put on a function at the lower grades game. They gave a minutes silence before the SG Ball game, had flyers printed, gave speeches and put on a pretty impressive high tea. The club chairman was there, plus the former CEO Steve Noyce and even the first grade coach popped his head in. But mostly there was just other fans that knew her and loved her. It was so cool and touching. smile
My brothers and I got to take a little walk while heads were turned and we spread her ashes on the Hill where she belongs.

So this is just a big thumbs up to the Tigers. So often I think that they don't really care about the fans and it's all about the big money corporates and sponsorship but I know better now!

#779927 - Mon Mar 19 2012 05:02 AM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: Copago]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
That is beautiful, Jill!

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#779932 - Mon Mar 19 2012 05:18 AM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: ozzz2002]
MikeMaster99 Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Thank you for sharing that story, Jill. I now understand why you posted the pic of Leichhardt Oval. Obviously it means a lot to you and your family. Hence I apologise about my little joke regarding where the point posts were. (I do share your love of the Tigers - mine are just of the AFL variety)

#779997 - Mon Mar 19 2012 12:47 PM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: MikeMaster99]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
A touching story, and I will give the Wests Tigers respect in stating they did exceptional by honoring your mother.

Condolences for your loss, and hope your mom is watching her beloved Tigers from above!

#780056 - Mon Mar 19 2012 03:29 PM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: dg_dave]
Copago Offline

oh Mike, no apology necessary! Don't worry about it smile
A Tigers supporter of any sport is alright with me wink

#780263 - Tue Mar 20 2012 04:42 PM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
One word: Respect!

What a touching and fitting tribute to your Mum (and to the Tigers), Jill.

#780435 - Wed Mar 21 2012 01:50 PM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: Santana2002]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's passing frown what a lovely story about the Tigers. That's what I love about the club network here in Oz. You really do feel like part of the family and your mum's extended footy family showed how much they cared for and appreciated your mum. smile

#803822 - Fri Jun 22 2012 05:03 AM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: Tizzabelle]
Copago Offline

awwww! I cried. I laughed. This was beyond cool. If she were still here I don't think we'd hear the end of it wink
God I love the Tigers lol

http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-displ...ear-Award/57424

Edited by Copago (Fri Jun 22 2012 05:05 AM)

#804015 - Sat Jun 23 2012 06:33 AM Re: Up the Tigers [Re: Copago]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
How wonderful, it's lovely when people organise things like that. smile

And that's Ellery Hanley! Oh my goodness, I loved watching him play, he's a star.

Moderator:  gtho4, ozzz2002