Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#788044 - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:11 AM Bookworms
authorspalace Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington DC  USA
Is there any book out there that's not fantasy or romance that I can read? I am literally obsessed with reading and am looking for new books to read all the time.
Please reply!!!
Plus, tell me if you've read The Scarlet Pimpernel, The 3 Musketeers or Gulliver's Travels!!!!

#788047 - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:41 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: authorspalace]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Originally Posted By: authorspalace
Is there any book out there that's not fantasy or romance that I can read? I am literally obsessed with reading and am looking for new books to read all the time.
Please reply!!!
Plus, tell me if you've read The Scarlet Pimpernel, The 3 Musketeers or Gulliver's Travels!!!!

Silly question, but how old are you?

Because there's no way I'm recommending Chuck Pahlaniuk to anyone below a certain age. Just sayin'.

#788048 - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:52 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: authorspalace]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Hi authorspalace smile

That's a wide remit! You've probably read anything I might recommend!!

As far as modern authors go, I'm a fan of Margaret Atwood's novels - do you like her? How about some Kurt Vonnegut? You can't go wrong with him.

For the classics, have you read any Wilkie Collins?

For something a bit less well-known, "The Migrant Painter of Birds" by Lidia Jorge is a beautifully written novel that would have flown under my radar except that a writer gave it to me for my birthday having been recommended to do so by her writers' group - so if a bunch of writers recommend a book, I guess you can take it for granted that it's worth the read.

None of these are fantasy or romance.

It's so difficult to recommend books to other people, isn't it? Tastes differ etc. But I avoid fantasy and romance too.

Should I take it that you like adventure themes? Have you read Treasure Island then? There's a bookclub thread here and that's the next book up.

#788049 - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:52 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: stuthehistoryguy]
authorspalace Offline
Participant

I'm fifteen. I usually read adult fiction. Everyone always tells me that I read above my grade level wink

#788050 - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:54 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: Chavs]
authorspalace Offline
Participant

Yes I love adventure and have read Treasure Island. Love that book! It's in my list of favorites smile

#788064 - Sat Apr 21 2012 06:48 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: authorspalace]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Well, probably Margaret Atwood or the Migrant Painter won't interest you. But Kurt Vonnegut might -- I think you might like "Cats Cradle".

Wilkie Collins wrote what's considered the first detective novel - ''The Moonstone'' - and it's a real classic, definitely worth the read. Have you ever tried reading the Sherlock Holmes or original James Bond novels?

I think it's very difficult to find books when you're fifteen, at least I remember it being difficult at the time! Themes of books either seemed to be too young or too old, and therefore not interesting, so classics are good choices.

Someone gave me "Moby Dick" but I never got into it, it would probably fit in with your favourites though?

I presume you aren't interested in Terry Pratchett seeing as you ruled out fantasy but if you haven't tried him I would suggest ignoring your dislike of fantasy and giving one of his books a go; he seems to be one of those authors that appeal to people even if they don't like fantasy, I think that's because he's so humorous.

"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" is very beloved by its readers -- and don't let a film stop you reading a book, by the way. I expect you've already discovered that no matter how good a film is, the book is always better.

One of my own favourite books is Watership Down, perhaps you've read it? I think I read it when I was about 15.

Are any of these suggestions helpful?

#788065 - Sat Apr 21 2012 06:55 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: Chavs]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
authorspalace, it sounds as if your input would be welcome at the FT bookclub.
They have recently discussed the Three Musketeers and Treasure Island soon
I liked BeauGeste, The Moonstone, and the Scarlet Pimpernel at your age.

#788073 - Sat Apr 21 2012 07:29 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: ren33]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Authorspalace, a lot of people like Stephen King but I have never been tempted, I did, however, enjoy a summer of reading some John Grisham thrillers. He is a fantastic story teller and has a broad readership.

You can see a list of his novels and read extracts from them at his website: http://www.jgrisham.com/books/

(I am not sure what the rule here is about links so I'll delete this link if it breaks forum etiquette.)

For a quirky and unusual read, you might enjoy "The Adventures of Wim" by Luke Rheinhart.
He's more famous for a book called "The Diceman" but I wouldn't recommend that, I found that depressing and disturbing, & I was very disappointed by it having read Wim - - 'Wim' covers the same philosophical ideas and is far superior, and is very funny. The internet says that it's out of print but I am sure you can find it somewhere. He also wrote a more straightforward fiction novel "Long Voyage Home". That was excellent but it's about nuclear destruction and one group of people trying to survive post nuclear war so it's not entirely undepressing!! - you'd have to like that theme.

Edited by Chavs (Sat Apr 21 2012 07:43 AM)

#788082 - Sat Apr 21 2012 08:09 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: Chavs]
authorspalace Offline
Participant

All of these suggestions are totally helpful. Thanks! I will definitely look at those books smile smile smile

#788085 - Sat Apr 21 2012 08:18 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: authorspalace]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Happy reading! Let us know if you find any of them any good.

#788089 - Sat Apr 21 2012 08:33 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: authorspalace]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
Originally Posted By: authorspalace
Yes I love adventure and have read Treasure Island. Love that book! It's in my list of favorites smile

Great! Please join us in the discussion in May right here in this forum.
You can find the announcement post at:
http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/787578/FunTrivia_Book_Club_May#Post787578
It also gives a link where you can download a free eBook if you need it.

#831259 - Sat Oct 13 2012 11:27 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: Dagny1]
authorspalace Offline
Participant

Okay, I've read so far about 170 books this year and would really like more recommendations. I read anything and everything-except Harry Potter and Twilight- and would really appreciate more recommendations. smile

#958814 - Wed Jan 02 2013 04:37 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: authorspalace]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Why not Harry Potter? I resisted them because of the hype, but eventually gave in and love them and am rereading them at the moment.

Have you tried any Dick Francis books?

#958862 - Wed Jan 02 2013 09:37 AM Re: Bookworms [Re: zippolover]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I have to agree about 'Harry Potter', they are very well written and the character development is excellent.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom