Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#788618 - Mon Apr 23 2012 02:38 PM Interview with Eburge
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Pagiedamon
Why did you choose the screen name "eburge" and what does it mean?

In all honesty, it's my first initial and my surname. Not a particularly creative username, I know. wink

PDAZ
As an English transplant to Australia, what do you like best about the country and what do you miss most about home?

I like how Australians are friendly and easy-going. That's probably the best thing about the country. That said, I do miss England a lot. That's where the rest of the family is, so it'll be good to be back amongst familiar faces soon.

Emma058 and Pagiedamon
By way of which countries did you end up in Australia? And what are you doing there?

Well, it was back in '97 when I was just a wee tyke moving out to Australia with my parents and sister, so the only stop on the journey was briefly in Singapore. I've lived in Australia for around 15 years now, so I've essentially grown up here (though I have retained my English accent, which still baffles people to this day). tongue

maninmidohio
You will soon be returning to England after a lengthy time spent in Australia. What will you miss most about Australia?

Definitely my friends. It'll be very strange to go back to England and make new friends, but hopefully I'll be able to hang out with various cousins and meet people that way.

maninmidohio
Would you like to comment on the differences in an Australian education and an English one?

I can't really say much about this. I wasn't old enough to go to school during my brief years in England, so I was entirely educated in Australia.

Emma058
Why did you want to become a FT editor?

Well, I like to think of myself as a fairly alright quiz author, and I was interested in contributing to the site in a way that wasn't just adding to the quiz pool. I made an off-the-cuff remark to Kyle that I could help out with Video Games while he was in the middle of a busy assessment period and help ease some of the load (what with him editing in four categories and being entirely on his own in VG). I didn't expect anything to come of it, but lo and behold, Kyle worked his magic and I was invited to become an editor.

Emma058
When you are not editing quizzes, what other hobbies do you have?

Of course, I enjoy writing quizzes, and I also like to play video games, read, go to the cinema, and cook (though I am quite slow and rather rubbish at it. tongue).

dcpddc478
I can tell by the quizzes that you write that you like video games. What is your favorite?

Without a doubt, it's 'Banjo-Kazooie'. It was the second video game I ever played and I just loved it and played it to death. I think I've sung its praises in a few of my quizzes, and even though I have played many games since that are just as brilliant, 'Banjo-Kazooie' still just gets ahead of them, purely for how much I enjoyed it when I was younger.

maninmidohio
As an avid gamer (and editor in Video Games), apart from the pure escapism of playing are there any positive benefits to be gained from the hours you have spent playing?

I know some people say that video games are bad for your health, but I disagree with that. I find games can actually improve your brain in ways that simply watching television cannot, and there are a number of studies which corroborate this. I've found solving problems to be easier, and I'm not as clumsy as I once was thanks to some better hand-eye coordination. wink

PDAZ
Do you remember the first video game you played?

Compared to some of my friends, I started playing games fairly late in my childhood. The first game I played was 'Mario Kart 64' when I received a Nintendo 64 for my seventh birthday. I remember being great at it when I was playing by myself, but when I would play with my father, I'd be completely rubbish and pretty much lose every race. tongue

PDAZ and dcpddc478
So, Mr. Ethan, besides fez-wearing pandas, what other pets do you have? What are their names?

Currently, I have two cats, named Pepe, a 13-year-old mackerel tabby, and Chico, a 10-year-old blue Burmese. They're two of the sweetest cats you could ever have (even though Chico sometimes likes to pounce on an unsuspecting Pepe and get a few bites in). They'll be making the journey to England with us, so it'll be quite a nerve-racking experience for them.

dcpddc478
As a child, what did you want be when you grew up?

I remember wanting to be a pilot. The whole world of aviation fascinated me when I was younger, but then I sort of grew out of it and set my sights on being a video game designer. But that ultimately fizzled out when I realised what a difficult field it would be to get into, particularly in Australia where the gaming industry isn't exactly booming. Now, I have ambitions to be in broadcasting, be it television or radio, particularly doing voice-overs or anything of that nature. I've been told I have the voice for radio... and the face for it. Hmph.

Pagiedamon
What is your real-life occupation now that you are grown up?

I wouldn't say I'm grown up (not yet, anyway, got a while to go until that happens), but at the time of writing, I'm 19 years old, and I'm studying mathematics at university.

Pagiedamon
As a self-proclaimed handsome man, I assume you have a significant other. What can you tell us about your personal life?

I'm afraid I don't have a significant other. I'm terrible at talking to girls, because I turn into a bumbling pile of awkwardness. tongue

dcpddc478
If you could go forward or backward in time for 24 hours, to which time period would you travel and why?

I'd probably go forward to 2015 to see if we have hover boards. I've been hoping for those ever since I first saw 'Back to the Future: Part II'. wink

Pagiedamon
What three words describe you best?

Strange, amusing, can't count.

Thanks to all who participated.

Edited by Pagiedamon (Mon Apr 23 2012 02:40 PM)

#788660 - Mon Apr 23 2012 05:54 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: Pagiedamon]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Haha Ethan. Bumbling pile of awkwardness. That's the perfect description for many of us. And I love the three words to describe you. :-P

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#788667 - Mon Apr 23 2012 06:06 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: salami_swami]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I seem to remember seeing a picture of one of your cats, Ethan, and I also remember your mother's comment that it was HER cat. So come on Mr Panda Fan, when did the cat-stealing start and have you considered therapy?

#788679 - Mon Apr 23 2012 07:22 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: flopsymopsy]
eburge Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Worthing Sussex UK            
I, we... they're interchangeable. ;p

#788680 - Mon Apr 23 2012 07:28 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: eburge]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Ah but you've stumbled upon the secret, young Ethan... if you tell girls you're terrible at talking to girls because you get all awkward, they'll think you're cute. wink

#788682 - Mon Apr 23 2012 08:11 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Re: "Why did you want to become a FT editor?"

--I have almost the same story only mine started back in 2005 with a different editor. wink

Re: "bumbling pile of awkwardness"

--You know me too well.

#788688 - Mon Apr 23 2012 08:30 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: kyleisalive]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Guitar goddess is right... Tell a girl the 'bumbling pile of awkwardness' thing and it'll work. Haha

Just ad you and Kyle, I had a similar story, but completely un-FunTrivia related. Haha

#788695 - Mon Apr 23 2012 09:45 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: salami_swami]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I had no idea eburge was so young. He handles himself most eloquently (while still being amusing), so I just assumed he was older. I suspect he might be being modest on all that "bumbling" stuff : ) Nice interview.

#788697 - Mon Apr 23 2012 10:08 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: Jakeroo]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Don't worry, I never remember he's my age, either. Only a few months older, right Ethan? I don't recall. Haha

#788712 - Mon Apr 23 2012 11:41 PM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: salami_swami]
eburge Offline
Enthusiast

Younger, if I recall correctly, Salami. You're on the verge of hitting 20, aren't you?

Edited to clarify: I'm younger, not Salami. I have a habit of reading things wrong the first time I see them. ;p

Edited by eburge (Mon Apr 23 2012 11:45 PM)

#788714 - Tue Apr 24 2012 12:01 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: eburge]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Haha not until September. I'm pretty sure you're a bit older. But then again, I don't really keep track.

#788715 - Tue Apr 24 2012 12:08 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: salami_swami]
eburge Offline
Enthusiast

Of course, I'm not keeping track either. That would be weird. tongue
Nevertheless, I can categorically say now that I'm definitely younger than you. I'm not 20 until January next year.

#788730 - Tue Apr 24 2012 01:40 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: eburge]
rossian Online   content

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Nice interview, Ethan. One of the best things (of many) about FT is that it brings together people of all ages with a common interest. It's interesting to see you and Salami worrying about who hits 20 first. I'm more at the age when it's better to forget about birthdays and just be glad to still be alive.

#788782 - Tue Apr 24 2012 07:18 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: rossian]
SOTHC Offline

Loc: Aylesford Kent England UK    
They may be worrying about hitting 20 but just wait until you they have hit it three times like some of us have.

#788792 - Tue Apr 24 2012 07:43 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: SOTHC]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Haha I thought yours was in July or August. Hmm, wonder if there is someone else who turns 20 in July...

#788805 - Tue Apr 24 2012 08:46 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: salami_swami]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Oh you young'uns worrying about age - leave that to those of us who have something to worry about! I'm going to 25 this year frown a whole quarter-century!

Quote:
Guitar goddess is right... Tell a girl the 'bumbling pile of awkwardness' thing and it'll work. Haha

Of course I'm right. I'm a girl and I inwardly said "awww" when I read 'bumbling pile of awkwardness'. See, it works tongue

Edited by guitargoddess (Tue Apr 24 2012 08:47 AM)

#788847 - Tue Apr 24 2012 11:15 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: guitargoddess]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
Oh you young'uns worrying about age - leave that to those of us who have something to worry about! I'm going to 25 this year frown a whole quarter-century!

Only 25? Gee, you're still a kid too! That means I've nearly ten years on you, gg. Just wait 'til that 3 rolls around as the first number. I know there are plenty of people older than I am, and in most cases, far wiser than I am also. I've somewhat disproved that with someone I know that is a bit older than I am (I don't think she'd want me giving her age out, although she's mentioned it to me plenty of times), though, and I'm not mentioning any details otherwise, not even by PM. She's wiser than I am in some respects, but she's found out I am in others.

Getting back on topic, nice interview, eburge.

Edited by dg_dave (Tue Apr 24 2012 11:25 AM)

#789094 - Wed Apr 25 2012 04:57 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: dg_dave]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Enjoyed reading about you eburge. Say, I have two beautiful (unmarried) granddaughters about your age...just saying! wink

#789107 - Wed Apr 25 2012 05:48 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: eburge]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
Well for babies (to me that is) I must second Jackeroo's comment, you are very eloquent. Well done on your interview smile

#789108 - Wed Apr 25 2012 06:01 AM Re: Interview with Eburge [Re: MadMartha]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City
I see that you are studying mathematics at university and can't count. Same thing I used to tell people when I studied math. grin

As has been said, the ladies like a bit of shyness. The overpowering egotist gets old very quickly. Take it from someone who has seen all types. Alas, you are my son's age, so I will have to pass shocked

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, rossian, sue943