Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#790822 - Tue May 01 2012 05:19 AM Do you still have any vinyl?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Over the years since CDs came out did you get rid of your old vinyl albums?

I saw my old ones the other day - only a handful of them. Really, they were only kept becuase when I moved out of home, before CDs, they got packed in a box.
Mostly 80s ones ... Corey hart, Howard Jones and jsut to save my musical integrity there was a couple of U2 albums there.

I haven't had a record player for about 15 years so who know's why I'm keeping them at all!

#790826 - Tue May 01 2012 05:53 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I still have many hundreds of vinyl albums and singles/EP's.... Some of them I have replaced with CD's, but I'll never part with all my vinyl as a lot of them are now deleted. I have a Technics turntable that I bought in 1978 and still play a lot of them daily/weekly.... Collectibles? A copy of Pink Floyd 'Animals' that, as far as I have been led to believe, is one of only 250 copies pressed.

#790829 - Tue May 01 2012 06:44 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: sisterseagull]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
I still have some single-sided 78s, that were left by my mother. They might have value to a collector.

Yes, I have hundreds of 33s, and maybe 25 45s. I do have a turntable, although I rarely play records anymore.

#790837 - Tue May 01 2012 07:29 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: postcards2go]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Like sisterseagull, I also have a great many vinyl discs.

My tastes in music aren't particularly wide-ranging, and I started buying in the mid-seventies, when I had the good luck to be living in a fairly low-rent flat. Over the next ten years or so I collected just about all I wanted on vinyl. Then vinyl was replaced by CD's and I had a mortgage to pay, and I didn't feel like buying my music all over again.

I have a turntable, though I must admit I don't play my records anything like as much as I used to: I tend to listen to Radio 3.

#790901 - Tue May 01 2012 01:04 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: TabbyTom]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I used to work at a record store in the eighties and accumulated quite a large collection of vinyl. When I started purchasing CD's I kept all of albums and now I have a player that will record vinyl to CD so we are in the process of recording many albums. There's nothing like the clear 'snaps' and 'crackles' of an album that brings back memories. wink

#791130 - Wed May 02 2012 12:59 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: ClaraSue]
Tryst Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Mu Mu Land
I still have mine and play them on a 80's Technics deck, i still collect, i look in charity shops etc for picture discs ,coloured vinyl and 12" singles or any oddity that taks my fancy.

#791223 - Wed May 02 2012 06:21 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Tryst]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
We still have hundreds of LPs and 45s, mainly from the 50s and early to mid 60s. Many of the album sleeves are autographed - Duane Eddy, Everly Brothers, Cliff Richard, Marty Wilde, Bobby Vee, Freddy Cannon, Johnny Preston are just a few of them. I think we have autographs of most of the main 50s stars on an album cover bar Elvis, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran. They still get played from time to time but most have now been replaced with a CD version of the album.

#794514 - Tue May 15 2012 12:34 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Christinap]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
Never got rid of any of my vinyl. I have about 200 LP's, 500 12" singles and approx 1000 7" singles. I don't use vinyl anymore when I DJ but I do have a vinyl turntable at home that let's me play and convert them into mp3. I stopped buying vinyl at the start of the 90's.

#994702 - Fri Jul 05 2013 04:08 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
I've still got about 700 albums, along with around 100 singles.
I'm working my way through USB turntables because my ambition is to have all of my vinyl (and cassettes) in my iTunes library. Unfortunately, motivation is also a factor...

#994739 - Fri Jul 05 2013 07:02 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Recently started collecting vinyl records, love them. They've actually made quite a comeback recently.

#998807 - Sat Jul 27 2013 12:49 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Never got rid of any vinyl. Including 78's inherited by grandparents with music that most people have never heard of lol. I have a White Album with the apple logo on it somehwere in the house (been played, no longer sealed, prolly not worth much but am not parting with). Only stopped playing them all because hubby sold the record player in a garage sale some years back. Will buy another one someday (they're sort of expensive right now though, considering they're lowtech ~)

#998811 - Sat Jul 27 2013 02:57 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
WesleyCrusher Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I have quite some Vinyl but a lot of it was quite heavily played with not too great a turntable, so I got new digital copies for some of the most worn / scratchy albums and for nearly all my classical music (the latter less because of the vinyl than because they were low-end / midrange recordings and I have rebought all my favorite works with top orchestras and conductors, some even in multiple versions).

The rest I have almost all converted to MP3 and digitally cleaned up as well as possible. There are about 30 albums left unconverted but in the five years since I have started going to MP3, I haven't ever had the desire to listen to any of them, so I guess they'll remain gathering dust. Nothing valuable in there, mostly bulk purchase movie soundtracks from a record store liquidation in the early 90s.

#1007991 - Sat Aug 31 2013 06:58 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Daaanieeel]
redwaldo Offline
Participant

Loc: South Australia

Great to see vinyl making a 'comeback'.

There's nothing like having something you can touch and pay some royalties to your favorite artist.

The best part about vinyl for me is looking at the elaborate art-work on albums (Sgt. Pepper, Dark side of the Moon).

The 'digital' era in music hasn't produced anything to surpass the classics of the 60s/ 70s.

#1008241 - Mon Sep 02 2013 07:05 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
You mean that people don't play 45rpm records now? I still have those bought in the 60s.

#1008248 - Mon Sep 02 2013 08:02 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
I have all my vinyls.

@Redwaldo - still have the cut outs from the Sgt. Pepper album smile

#1009862 - Mon Sep 09 2013 08:44 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I didn't see the point of replacing anything I had on vinyl, and many of them probably wouldn't be possible to find otherwise. It took me 50 years to collect them in the first place so I can't see why I'd get rid of them if something else took over. We had cassettes, CDs and now MP3s, digital music is compressed so loses a great deal of the detail of analogue so can never compete.

UN IPCC

#1009984 - Tue Sep 10 2013 04:21 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
We've still got a load of vinyl in our loft. It has beeen there for a quarter of a century, having been transferred over to CDs in the eighties.

I want to get rid of it, but my OH says no, they remind him of his young days. How they do this when they're stuck in the loft is beyond me!

#1010103 - Wed Sep 11 2013 05:32 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: satguru]
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: satguru
I didn't see the point of replacing anything I had on vinyl, and many of them probably wouldn't be possible to find otherwise.

That's one of the reasons that I keep mine. A lot of the obscure stuff from over the years has become available on CD, but I'm wagering that a lot more hasn't, and some of it would be collectors' items now. So I'm hanging on to mine, and just recording it to digital.

#1010550 - Fri Sep 13 2013 09:44 PM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
tim10001 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Concord
  California USA   
I have lots, and an old Sony turntable with a fairly crisp ADC cartridge. Don't play that stuff very often, but when I do I enjoy it. So warm and lovely.

#1010750 - Sun Sep 15 2013 05:22 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Walked into JB Hifi yesterday, only to find that they are selling vinyl again!
They have a combination of old and new stuff, but what put me off was the price - $32 for a 1970 Doors album, as an example....

#1014702 - Tue Oct 08 2013 11:42 AM Re: Do you still have any vinyl? [Re: Copago]
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Yeah, still own around 6000+ vinyl albums & 45's. I still buy vinyl, bought a couple albums in the last week and have a couple surf instrumental EPs on the way through mail-order. Vinyl is a big seller in the local college town as well as at record collector conventions.

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher