Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 15 of 17 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#785779 - Thu Apr 12 2012 11:39 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Julia103]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Merkel's chancelorship will be stale one day. So the question needs to be altered (for example: "Chancellor from 2005" or "Eighth Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany").

#785885 - Thu Apr 12 2012 04:24 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I believe that this thread would be the place to note the need for a change when it does happen. These descriptions are full of date dependent and time-stamped details, which do get changed as appropriate. Unlike quizzes, which we expect to stay unchanged forever, the description of people who are mid-career will change on a regular basis, and I have seen amendments made. I do not know, however, what the time lag may be between the change in real life and the update of information. It would certainly be a mammoth task to change all entries to remove details that will change with time, as there are a lot of them.

#788199 - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:00 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
13. Hungarian-born American common law wife of Doc Holliday

Big Nose Kate = (Hungarian-born American common law wife of Doc Holliday)

I think it would be an improvement to include her full name and then add, known as Big Nose Kate. Her name was Mary Katherine Horony Cummings.

Sue

#789126 - Wed Apr 25 2012 09:50 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
14. American film & TV actor; 'Seabiscuit' & 'Spiderman'
Your answer: Tobey Macguire

two typos - Spider-Man and Maguire
see imdb.com

#789199 - Wed Apr 25 2012 01:19 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
paper_aero Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Crawley Sussex England       
A minor typo - Izaak Waltons book was "The Compleat Angler. " as oppossed to Complete
I found a picture of the cover on this site: here

The Munro society also uses the spelling for those who climb all the Munroes - 'Compleaters' (and I have reached the top of the grand total of 1)

#794529 - Tue May 15 2012 01:18 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: paper_aero]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Australian politician; civil engineer; lead Eureka Stockade rebellion

Your answer: Peter Lalor

Please let's get our grammar right - he led the rebellion!

#794905 - Wed May 16 2012 12:35 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
snediger Offline
Participant

Loc: Amarillo Texas USA            
Anybody who has played all the games on this site has occasionally run across single questions that make no sense because (I'm guessing, now) they have been plucked willy-nilly from quizzes. These questions always demand a guess, pure and simple. They hold up in a quiz because the quiz provides a unifying format, but as single questions they are useless. Why are these questions showing up? Is it because of a computer program that ramdomly selects questions from quizzes and then spits them out? And, can anything be done about it, such as determining which questions from a selected number of quizzes can stand on their own?

#794911 - Wed May 16 2012 12:40 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: snediger]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: snediger
Anybody who has played all the games on this site has occasionally run across single questions that make no sense because (I'm guessing, now) they have been plucked willy-nilly from quizzes. These questions always demand a guess, pure and simple. They hold up in a quiz because the quiz provides a unifying format, but as single questions they are useless. Why are these questions showing up? Is it because of a computer program that ramdomly selects questions from quizzes and then spits them out? And, can anything be done about it, such as determining which questions from a selected number of quizzes can stand on their own?

How is that relevant to Who Am I?

But yes, all questions go into a database and are chosen at random. I highly doubt anyone is going to wade through over 110,000 quizzes just because a couple of questions don't make sense.

If you find a question that doesn't stand alone, play the quiz the question is from. If the incorrect question from the quiz has been changed so it makes sense on its own, then the question is correct but the database hasn't caught up yet. If the question hasn't been changed, send a correction note.

~(_8(I)

#794918 - Wed May 16 2012 01:10 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: AdamM7]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

When you get a question that truly cannot be answered on its own, send a correction note, as AdamM7 described. If an editor agrees that the question is not suitable for the timed games, it can be withdrawn from the selection pool. But we don't have time to go through the hundreds of thousands of questions on the site and judge every question one at a time. (And, to the best of my knowledge, the only way I can remove a question from the pool is in response to a correction note on that specific question.)

Who Am I, however, does not come from quizzes, but from a separate database. That is why there is a thread for posting problems with those questions.

#795014 - Wed May 16 2012 05:13 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: AdamM7]
snediger Offline
Participant

Loc: Amarillo Texas USA            
OOOPS!
Sorry for posting in the wrong area. I'm a little new to the forums.

#798160 - Wed May 30 2012 12:35 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: snediger]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Hmm I haven't seen JMelston around here for a while. Does anyone know if he's still active?

#798163 - Wed May 30 2012 12:46 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Terry
Hmm I haven't seen JMelston around here for a while. Does anyone know if he's still active?

"Last Seen: May 30 12"

This was on his profile. Of course, if he never signs out, then that date will always show as today, but he earned ~3000 points yesterday and about half of that today (so far).

As for being active on the forums or this thread, I don't know.

~(_8(I)

#803501 - Wed Jun 20 2012 06:00 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: AdamM7]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Danica Patrick - American IndyCar racer; spokeswoman; model

This should be updated, as now she is a former IndyCar racer and current NASCAR driver/racer smile

#810337 - Mon Jul 23 2012 10:18 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: pyonir]
nautilator Online   FT-blank
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Honk Kong film actor; 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' (Chow Yun-Fat)

Should be Hong.

#817732 - Thu Aug 23 2012 02:04 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: nautilator]
nautilator Online   FT-blank
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
English-born American Oscar-winning film actress; married many times; 'BUtterfield 8' & 'Cleopatra' (Elizabeth Taylor)

Minor issue with Butterfield.

edit: didn't know that, never mind.

Edited by nautilator (Thu Aug 23 2012 05:15 PM)

#817737 - Thu Aug 23 2012 02:12 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: nautilator]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

That's how it is written in the movie title, because it is part of a telephone number (dial BU8, or 288 to get the exchange serving the area featured in the film).

#818243 - Fri Aug 24 2012 09:02 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
This was a list provided for one question today:

British-born New Zealand politician; eighth Premier of New Zealand = (Julius Vogel)
French fashion designer = (Yves Saint-Laurent)
Anglo-American poet = (W. H. Auden)
Dutch Baroque painter = (Jan Vermeer)
French fashion designer = (Pierre Cardin)
French writer; philosopher; essayist; 'Candide' = (Voltaire)

The name given in that question was Julius Vogel, but if it had been Yves St. Laurent or Pierre Cardin, one would only have had a 50-50 chance of picking the right "French fashion designer."

#818250 - Fri Aug 24 2012 11:27 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: sportsherald]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
It has been discussed previously that if two answers are the same then they are definitely NOT the answer.

#830901 - Thu Oct 11 2012 12:17 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
12. American painter; illustrator
Your answer: Henry Sandham

He's listed by wiki as Canadian, and I didn't see a place to submit a CR on the answer page. He did some of his work in the U.S., but he's generally considered to be Canadian. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Sandham

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#831602 - Mon Oct 15 2012 04:15 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: cubswin2323]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
TODAYS WHO AM I:

"Austrian composer; father of Johann Strauss II

Your answer: Johann Strauss Sr."

This uses two different systems.

It is EITHER Johann Strauss I & II OR Johann Strauss Sr & Jr - you cant have both systems.

#831628 - Mon Oct 15 2012 06:02 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
We're lucky there wasn't a callout for Johann Strauss 3rd.

#831644 - Mon Oct 15 2012 06:28 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Midget40]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Midget40
TODAYS WHO AM I:

"Austrian composer; father of Johann Strauss II

Your answer: Johann Strauss Sr."

This uses two different systems.

It is EITHER Johann Strauss I & II OR Johann Strauss Sr & Jr - you cant have both systems.

Why can't it have both systems?

#831714 - Mon Oct 15 2012 12:07 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
As a rule of thumb, if one single author intermixes two different styles, he or she makes the reader very confused.

In this particular instance, the two styles come probably from two different sources, so it might be acceptable. Nevertheless, such a mixture leaves the audience flabbergasted.

#833311 - Sun Oct 21 2012 03:26 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Thanks. I think it's okay here because of the quiz format - it's just an added part of the puzzle - but I like the high standards quizzers have here. I like that people are flabbergasted at the very sight of it! smile

#833314 - Sun Oct 21 2012 04:14 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Hey, I just like the word "flabbergasted" lol. Wondrous word. Oh sorry, this post probably more properly belongs in Word Wiz lol

Page 15 of 17 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Terry