Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 16 of 29 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
#791856 - Sat May 05 2012 10:43 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
dumb_bunny Offline
Participant

Loc: Maine USA
The opposite of nonconformity is conformation

You said: conformity

nonconformity means "failure to conform"
conformation means "acting according to certain accepted standards"

The opposite of noncompliance is conformity

You said: conformation

noncompliance means "the failure to obey"
conformity means "acting according to certain accepted standards"

Ayup, with two words given identical definitions, I was doomed. That's what I get for assuming that conformity was the oppostite of nonconformity.

#791862 - Sat May 05 2012 11:37 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: dumb_bunny]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I would have assumed the same as you, not-so-dumb_bunny!

#792398 - Mon May 07 2012 10:18 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
DocWhispers Offline
Participant

Loc: Maryland USA
"free is related to people

free means "people who are free"

Really? free is related to people?

Free means "people who are free"?

Does blue mean "cats that are blue"?

I managed to get this one right by process of elimination, but the method you're using to generate these relationships really needs serious examination.

(adjective) means (noun) [one of many] that has property of (adjective) does not in any way constitute a reasonable connection.

#792419 - Mon May 07 2012 11:15 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: DocWhispers]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
From our anthem, "The Star Spangled Banner":
"..,O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"
In this context the word is used as a noun. And it means in this case: "people who are free".

#792537 - Mon May 07 2012 06:00 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
AlexxSchneider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Perth Scotland UK             
Adjectives can be used as substantive nouns: the brave, the noble, the strong, etc. Which section of the game was this in? Not all sections are about exact definitions, but things that can be linked together, whether obviously or more tenuously.

#793383 - Thu May 10 2012 10:44 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: AlexxSchneider]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Dumb bunny,

I got that non-comformity one wrong too. I had to sigh and admit that it was part of the fun of the game eventually. But, you know, I think you and I got it right acksherlly. ;D

--------------------------

My query is:

frequent is related to back up

frequent means "do one''s shopping at"
back up means "give moral or psychological support, aid, or courage to"

--------------------------

Ok, if I was more brainy I could have got it right by elimination but I think the definitions given don't quite match each other.

Can anyone persuade me otherwise?

(I love Mind Melt, by the way, so this is why I care)

smile

#793395 - Thu May 10 2012 10:59 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Chaves,

I love Mind Melt too, and I can't see any way that these two (especially with these definitions) are related!

Sue

#793454 - Thu May 10 2012 02:04 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Related, vaguely, perhaps because they both imply an association of support. If you frequent (accent on the second syllable) a place, you are often there - you could be said to be supporting an establishment by your regular visits; if you back someone up, you are supporting them in some discussion.

#793596 - Fri May 11 2012 01:53 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Yes, if you frequent a charity shop, you are supporting their cause.

But not backing them up exactly.

And frequenting only means "shopping at" in a very, very vague sense. I think it's the "shopping" definition that is a bit strange.

And given that "back up" is defined as a "moral/psychological" act, it's doubly strange to define "frequent" as "shopping!.

(Glad I'm not the only one, Sue).

Edited by Chavs (Fri May 11 2012 01:56 AM)

#795346 - Thu May 17 2012 10:46 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
man of means is related to have
You said: individual
man of means means "a man who is wealthy"
have means "a person who possesses great material wealth"

blond is related to individual
You said: people
blond means "a person with fair skin and hair"
individual means "a human being"

timid is related to people
You said: have
timid means "people who are fearful and cautious"
people means "(plural) any group of human beings (men or women or children) collectively"

Aren't these three pretty vague? Especially timid, whose definition is wrong -- it's an adjective, not a noun as currently suggested.

#795353 - Thu May 17 2012 11:22 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: nautilator]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

They're all vague and tenuous - that's part of the third section's charm and frustration. I matched means with have, but had the other two reversed, since it was not clear which should match with the singular term and which the plural. C'est la vie.

Timid can be used as a noun - only the timid fear the dark - 'the timid' stands for 'people who are timid', and functions as the subject of the sentence. Same for blond, which is usually an adjective - blonds have more fun is a phrase that uses blond as a noun substantive.

#795509 - Fri May 18 2012 06:50 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
_morpheus_ Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
Vague and tenuous, yes, those are valid descriptors and to those I would add cumbersome. Kind of reminds me of when I broke my arm and it was itching really bad and I tried to scratch underneath the cast with a coat hanger.

#795519 - Fri May 18 2012 07:17 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: _morpheus_]
JBCizzle Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Connecticut USA
I had "colorize" and "colourise" as choices in my mind melt pool today. I wasn't going to win anyway as I never do, but that didn't help.

#796658 - Thu May 24 2012 04:09 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: JBCizzle]
bubbatom1 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Rockhampton QLD Australia    
Where do you get these words from!

I play this game because its a team game. Not that I do too well, so fortunately my team doesn't rely on me smile

If we were to name a game we hated on funtrivia, it's got to be to his one. I absolutely hate it, but will play it because it helps my team ..... sometimes smile

#796683 - Thu May 24 2012 07:08 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: bubbatom1]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

I think it's the best game here. I play the other games just to keep me going for the 23 hours and 56 minutes until I can get my next fix.

I don't want to spoil the fun for today but good luck to anyone trying to place these two:

geographical region means "a demarcated area of the Earth"

geographic area means "a demarcated area of the Earth"

;D ;D ;D

#797792 - Mon May 28 2012 04:38 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: DireWolf74]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I think the fact by 11pm not one player has got them all right confirms the questionable status of this one:

going away is related to feat

You said: move

going away means "act of departing"
feat means "a notable achievement"

Can anyone explain why the two are connected, I can't.

UN IPCC

#797830 - Mon May 28 2012 07:05 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: satguru]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

They are both, vaguely, a type of action. I certainly would not connect them unless by elimination to optimise the fit for the other pairs in the set.

#797861 - Mon May 28 2012 11:21 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
cairnster Offline
Participant

Loc: Singapore / Austria
Just came to say the same.

going away is related to feat

You said: move

going away means "act of departing"
feat means "a notable achievement"

career is related to move

You said: feat

career means "move headlong at high speed"
move means "change location"

Meh.

#798355 - Thu May 31 2012 06:30 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: cairnster]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Career & Move fit together, but Feat and Going Away are definitely mis-matched.

Quote:
They are both, vaguely, a type of action.

I wonder if the word "act" in the definition of Going Away has caused the mis-match? Act and Feat would normally match.

Edited by Chavs (Thu May 31 2012 06:32 AM)

#798436 - Thu May 31 2012 12:49 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

It isn't a mismatch, it is one of those very tenuous links that crop up in part 3 of Mind Melt - they aren't definitions, and the exact nature of the relationship can be as slight as a common word in a secondary or tertiary definition.

#805963 - Mon Jul 02 2012 07:11 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
summer camp is related to site
You said: activity

Could this one be changed, as a summer camp can really be either a site or an activity?

#808243 - Wed Jul 11 2012 08:23 PM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: George95]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
If I remember correctly Bubbatom also claimed that the Crystal Ball was the "worst" game EVER, even though he/she managed to endure its "horridness" (despite the fact that it is not included in any required "team" game) and get the 25 Badge anyway lol (kudos for that, btw : )).

I am still bemused by the fact that people keep posting "this HAS to be fixed" type of complaints here. As far as has been construed so far, the dictionary/database used is not in the "control" of this website and thus cannot be "amended" by anyone here - so my only advice is to either work with it, or get over it, or sign a petition to opt for increased fees to pay for the rights to an actual "published in book form" dictionary (although I'm sure we would then have endless complaints about which PARTICULAR dictionary from WHICH part of the world is chosen as well as the fee lol), or don't play it at all and let the people who DO enjoy the game, DO so LOL.

That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting pure and simple "grumblings" (everyone is certainly entitled to their personal opinion even though opinions are definitely not facts) - but for those folks who continue to "demand" ACTUAL changes to be made in the database in the near future? ummm.... might want to choose a different game to "pick on" : )))))

I like this game. I'm not very good at it, but I certainly don't begrudge answers that don't correlate with mine.

Looney: thank you for your infinite patience in continuing to point out the related possibilities, however vague they may be. We all live in different parts of the world and slight differences in usage can mean a "world" of difference in results.

There IS no perfect, singularly, universally correct answer for lots of things (eSPECIALly when it comes to language). Surely, most people here have had similar experiences in multiple question tests in school/university where you were asked for the "best" answer amongst the choices, no matter what the subject? Nowhere in the instructions for this game does it say "pick the one and only answer that you are personally familiar with, either due to your education or demographics or personal opinion - and therefore whatever answer you choose should be given credit for as being correct" : )

In contrast to the game itself, there is MORE than a subtle difference between the two major types of comments/complaints in this thread lol

Edited by Jakeroo (Wed Jul 11 2012 08:26 PM)

#808297 - Thu Jul 12 2012 08:02 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
There IS no perfect, singularly, universally correct answer for lots of things (eSPECIALly when it comes to language).

Jakeroo, this is perhaps the best summary of the reactions to this game that I've seen! We should frame it and place it on the game page.

Sue

#808304 - Thu Jul 12 2012 08:30 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kent UK
This made me smile (wince?). They could definitely have done with being the other way round. wink

The opposite of odds is unlikelihood

You said: improbable

odds means "the probability of a specified outcome"
unlikelihood means "the improbability of a specified outcome"

The opposite of likely is improbable

You said: unlikelihood

likely means "likely but not certain to be or become true or real"
improbable means "not likely to be true or to occur or to have occurred"

#808305 - Thu Jul 12 2012 08:33 AM Re: Mind Melt - Content Issues [Re: glendathecat]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I think a wince followed by a shrug of the shoulders and a weak grin is the only answer to some of the weird and wonderful combinations which come up. After all, tomorrow is another day (is that original? or did I hear it somewhere else?).

Page 16 of 29 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  Terry