Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#798921 - Sat Jun 02 2012 01:15 AM Large soft drink ban.
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregi...nted=1&_r=1

SO what do you think of this?

You can still buy as much as you like .. you'll just have to do it in a few smaller goes.
I'm not overly keen for the government to step into every part of our lives b that stuff is really crappy for you and anything to discourage the over-consumption of it should be a good thing. Perhaps people will think more of other areas of their health? The supersized products are becoming the norm it seems and people are forgetting "everything in moderation".

#798923 - Sat Jun 02 2012 02:08 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: Copago]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:
The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery stores or convenience stores.

Sounds like a bit of grandstanding to me. I bet the shopowners in New Jersey and other neighbouring states are rubbing their hands together with joy.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#798925 - Sat Jun 02 2012 02:53 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: ozzz2002]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
Like Copago said, it is another instance of the federal government trying to tell us how to live. Being an American, I am tired of the government getting involved in very aspect of my life. I know what is good and what isn't good to eat or drink. They are overstepping their bounds as defined in our Constitution, which I have come to believe that the current president hasn't even read. I'll stop now as I feel a rant coming on!

#798926 - Sat Jun 02 2012 04:04 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: golfmom08]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Golfmom, I cannot find any mention of soft drink in the US constitution. smile But I agree with everything you say- this 'nanny state' mentality is just getting ridiculous.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#798931 - Sat Jun 02 2012 05:26 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: ozzz2002]
fredsixties Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Staten Island
New York USA 
What's the difference. Buy a 16oz. soft drink and get a free refill. Most fast food places give you the cup, and the fountain is in a public area. The whole idea is dumb.

#798948 - Sat Jun 02 2012 06:47 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: fredsixties]
ga_jam831 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Warner Robins Georgia USA     
I for one am so appreciative of my country for banning harmful products like trans fat, jumbo drinks (which I only fill with diet coke of course), fining me if I choose to not wear a seat belt, and choosing what days and times I can purchase adult beverages.

I hope they soon will pass legislation mandating attendance at government run public exercise class. Maybe they can send inspectors around to remove unhealthy food from my household. Hey, force all fast food restaurants to serve tofu burgers, raw or steamed veggies, and water for their combo meals.

We,as a people, need those wise and selfless leaders in government to free us from the burden of making decisions for which we are poorly equipped to choose.

#798971 - Sat Jun 02 2012 08:33 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: ga_jam831]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Quote:
The measure would not apply to diet sodas...

Why ban the consumption of large quantities of sugary drinks when they'll allow diet sodas, which are even worse for you?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articl...ed-to-food.aspx

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#798994 - Sat Jun 02 2012 09:48 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: LadyCaitriona]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I disagree with you on that point.
Sugar is worse for you and it's use is far more widespread
and it's effects more pernicious then artificial sweeteners.
Let's remember why there are articial sweeteners in the first place,
it's because people want to avoid the effects of sugar itself .
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/sugar-problem/refined-sugar-the-sweetest-poison-of-all

#799009 - Sat Jun 02 2012 11:19 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: george48]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Being overweight and being obese are two entirely different things and the latter will certainly not be "instantly fixed" by pathetic little laws that only focus on (i.e. punish) one miniscule area of the food industry.

Besides, last time I went to a movie, the "soda" I was served was highly watered down to begin with, plus over half of the container was filled with ice. I'd have gotten more sugar content had I snuck in an actual bottle of pop that was 1/4 the size.

Sugar is a natural sweetener. Yes, most of us ingest far too much of it. But if anyone thinks that artificial sweeteners are actually "good" for a person (other than diabetics perhaps), then they haven't done the research.

Here's a solution for New York (or any other major city). Line up all the even slightly overweight people (or any other personal lifestyle choice types the "powers that be" don't personally approve of) in front of a firing squad. That should result in a reduction of 95% of the population and would completely solve the "homeless problem".

I believe in laws for civilised society, but honestly, when I read stuff like that article, sometimes I ache for anarchy LOL.

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jun 02 2012 12:20 PM)
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#799047 - Sat Jun 02 2012 01:24 PM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: Jakeroo]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Interesting article, LadyCaitriona. I hadn't realised that Aspartame belongs to Monsanto. I remember its discovery being heralded as a life-changing breakthrough, because it was Natural! Great buzzword, Natural! but doesn't mean it's safe.

While we're deciding what to drink, we can take comfort in the knowledge that we still have delicious fluoride in our drinking water.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#799131 - Sat Jun 02 2012 08:27 PM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: lesley153]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I guess they let the diet drinks go as it's obesity they're trying to tackle. When the issues of the diet drinks come to the fore then they can deal with those ones.

Quote:
I know what is good and what isn't good to eat or drink.

Amazing how many people don't know though .. or do know and choose to ignore it all.

#799140 - Sat Jun 02 2012 09:35 PM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: Copago]
Aedan57 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Vermont USA
The government thinks people are not bright enough to choose what size soft drink they should purchase, often with what cash they may have left after paying their taxes. These same people generally keep re-electing the legislators enacting these regulations so the legislators are probably correct.

#799155 - Sun Jun 03 2012 12:39 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: Aedan57]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
When corporations selling unhealthy products employ psychologists to find ways around our own common sense to buy crap it is "good business." When the government tries to do something about a massive health problem ie. obesity, it is nanny state. The financial costs of diseases caused by obesity are going to bankrupt countries.
At least the problem is now on the radar and this is a small step in the right direction. George Bush knew the oceans weren't rising because of Climate Change, he knew the country was sinking because of the obesity epidemic.

#799230 - Sun Jun 03 2012 08:13 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: mountaingoat]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: mountaingoat
George Bush knew the oceans weren't rising because of Climate Change, he knew the country was sinking because of the obesity epidemic.

Lol!

I have to agree, though, that reducing one's soda intake is essential if one wants to lose weight. I used to drink sodas (Dr. Pepper!) like a fiend and I wasn't able to lose weight despite otherwise eating healthy and exercising regularly. It was only when I cut out sugary drinks that I really started to lose weight effectively. But it can be hard when corporations, like McDonalds, offer $1 drink days where any size soda is just $1. Why get a small drink for your money when with the exact same change you can buy the largest? Maybe it's good that the government wants to step in and counteract some of the dirty tricks these companies do to make sales, but at the same time it would probably be less expensive and less intrusive to just educate the public about the health risks.

Edited by LadyCaitriona (Sun Jun 03 2012 08:14 AM)

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#799263 - Sun Jun 03 2012 09:57 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: LadyCaitriona]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
I spent two years dieting and exercising before the death of one of my cats threw me into a bout of depression. I never got below a size 12 jeans. Tax us, restrict us all you care to but some of us will always be overweight. For the Mayor who decided this was a good idea, there is such a thing as healthy obese.

#799456 - Sun Jun 03 2012 08:49 PM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: rayven80]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm amazed they are doing this because it may have the opposite effect. I do agree that the schools do NOT need to have soda machines and especially be subsidized by soft drink or junk food companies, however much money they're making in tough times. It has created a profound difference in some of the campuses I've worked at. You also can get water at many of the schools at lunch time instead of milk, 'juice' or what have you. I had to provide a note for my son as if he were sick because we didn't believe in serving milk or artificially colored 'juice' with meals. But adults? People are not going to react well to this.

Some elements that are specific to the States come to mind however. If you're eating in the fast food place instead of the drive up window and taking the food out, you almost always have the option of ordering two to three sizes but refilling your drink as many times as you wish. In sit down places, you are often served soft drinks over and over by a waiter or waitress. I often wondered what prevented someone from buying a small cup and getting up to get more. Nothing does as far as I know. I never could figure out how this worked. If you think ecology though, you could save money on cups etc by serving smaller cups and making people refill the cups. That might be something more logical. If a smaller cup took up less energy to make, then you might find more people willing to accept this. There are many states or cities who have a law about only serving water if the customer requests it, and people are used to this now. This needed to be legislated in some places. It saves resources. In the old days, a glass of ice water was always put at your place whether you asked for it or not. Now it's not a given.

Another thing that people outside the states may not realize is the amount of soda contained in cups here. People drink enormous sodas in their cars, in the movies and at home all day long. Though I doubt that it's the State's duty to try to curtail the consumption of soda by laws, it's going to take effort to taper off. One of my biochemist friends once told me many years ago, that you'd be better off grinding up a can of diet soda and eating that than drinking it. If you're drinking it to avoid drinking sugary soda, then, it's going to be tough going. Does the govt of a city or country have the right to restrict consumption of something relatively benign? Not sure. I tend to say no. In schools they do absolutely.

#799508 - Mon Jun 04 2012 08:20 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: lesley153]
pitegny Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Gex France
While not pro this kind of legal restriction on personal choices, I find it interesting that diet sodas are exempt.

Recent research presented at an American Diabetes Association meeting indicates that diet soft drinks are not necessarily a dieter's friend. http://www.uthscsa.edu/hscnews/singleformat2.asp?newID=3861.

#799529 - Mon Jun 04 2012 10:56 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: pitegny]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I understand that grocery and convenience stores will be exempt from the ban...I think more people buy gigantic Super Big Gulps and Slurpee drinks from 7-11 type places than from fast food chains.

#799583 - Mon Jun 04 2012 02:57 PM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: veronikkamarrz]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
They get (everyone) many to stop smoking and then notice that a lot of people have gained weight? Putting a straw into your mouth is to provide satisfaction for an oral fixation, a smoking substitute.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#801662 - Tue Jun 12 2012 09:03 PM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Hmm. I'm growing quite tired of ANYone (much less the gov't or some "do-gooder") telling me I can't have the things I want (or how to spend MY money). Are you folks who seem to think this soda ban is a "good idea" not aware that this is just another "privilege" you are giving away by leaving it to some gov't authority to decide for you??

"oh well...maybe it's best" comments are like giving up the battle LOL! I can understand "rules for schools", but adults? Absolutely not. Adults are supposedly RESPONSIBLE for their OWN actions. Such a NOVEL idea lol.

There are lots of people who aren't morbidly obese (AGAIN, overweight and obese are NOT the same thing!). Why must everyone be mollycoddled? And why are we allowing that to happen?? Man, Big Brother is becoming more of a reality every day.

As far as "educating the public", FIFTY years ago, as a child, we had to memorise the Canada Food Guide in school. It's not as if the gov't wasn't trying all this time to tell us the "sensible" things to do. Granted, the Guide back then was oriented towards a more "mobile" type of citizen (since there weren't tv's and computers to plant oneself in front of for the majority of our spare time). If you're my age, you might remember actually going OUTSIDE and playing and riding your bike. Or working in the garden. Or chopping wood. Or shovelling snow, or whatever.

PLEASE don't tell me that folks need the government to make "common sense" a "LAW". Quite frankly, they really don't have YOUR best interest at heart. They are laughable when they tell you to do things like quit smoking (don't jump on me, I'm not implying the habit is good for you lol), yet use those very tax resources to fund "health programmes". Either make it illegal, or the govt needs to give us all a break and get off their "high horse". It's the same thing with gambling and alcohol. They use (an EXTREMELY small portion of) the taxes gleaned from those things to pay for "gambler's/alcoholics anonymous" programmes LOL (sheesh). But, hey they sure like the money!!! (and no, I'm not giving up my red wine on Friday nights lol)

I'm not "overly" overweight. My heart (for having a murmur) is in pretty good shape, thanks very much. I intend to continue to eat sugar and fat (in reasonable quantities) in whatever format I want it. Nobody is FORCING anyone to choose the biggest soda (or anything else) simply because it seems like a good deal. The operative word is CHOICE. Hopefully we'll have a few choices LEFT in a few years. The vision I have of my country is not what was once the USSR. But we're getting there, sigh.

(apologies for the rant. I should probably have played my KO game instead of reading this thread LOL!).
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#801687 - Wed Jun 13 2012 12:05 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: Jakeroo]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Has anyone seen Demolition Man?

'Lenina Huxley: Ah, smoking is not good for you, and it's been deemed that anything not good for you is bad; hence, illegal. Alcohol, caffeine, contact sports, meat...
John Spartan: Are you sh***ing me?
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
John Spartan: What the hell is that?
Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Lenina Huxley: Bad language, chocolate, gasoline, uneducational toys and anything spicy. Abortion is also illegal, but then again so is pregnancy if you don't have a licence. '

and later on, they meet a terrifying anarchist, played by Denis Leary

'Edgar Friendly: You see, according to Cocteau's plan, I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice.
I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine.
Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? '

I think I fall somewhere in between, like most people.

Edited by Jabberwok (Wed Jun 13 2012 12:07 AM)

#801696 - Wed Jun 13 2012 02:15 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: Jabberwok]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Excellent post. Lookout, here come the copyright police.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#801727 - Wed Jun 13 2012 06:22 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: mehaul]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Boris Johnson has appeared on American TV, offering London as sanctuary for their poor, tired, huddled masses who want the freedom to drink fizzy drinks in 16oz pots (and also incidentally waving his new book at the camera).

Boris on the soda tyranny
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#801736 - Wed Jun 13 2012 06:29 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: lesley153]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Here's another nice clip, from the American side this time. Starts a few minutes earlier than the clip I posted a few minutes ago.

Coca-Cola versus "oregano"

#801749 - Wed Jun 13 2012 08:53 AM Re: Large soft drink ban. [Re: lesley153]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Oooh, which reminds me...I saw on the morning news the other day that there is a city in, I THINK it was New York (at least that's the news station I was watching at the time), that there is a law in the works to fine people for swearing in public! Here we go....!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943