Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#798807 - Fri Jun 01 2012 03:47 PM In need of english to latin translation.
Myth_ Offline
Participant

Hi guys

I've been looking and looking for days trying to figure out this phrase. I've tried google translate and other such online translators but none are saying the same thing or even close when i go from english to latin and back again.

I've also tried searching each individual word in the dictionary and finding it's latin word, but again the translators are no good.

So I turn to actual people for help and hope I can finally solve this.

What I need translating is "Cult of individual reverence" I know with latin the way the words are interacting with each other determines the translation and that's the bit I can't figure out.

Any help would be a huge help.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

#798886 - Fri Jun 01 2012 08:43 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Myth_]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
Sorry Myth but my knowledge of Latin is non existant! Hope you get help smile

#798928 - Sat Jun 02 2012 04:26 AM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: playmate1111]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I have called for the resident latin expert so hold on in there.

#798932 - Sat Jun 02 2012 05:33 AM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: sue943]
TabbyTom Online   content

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I'm afraid I'm not sure what the phrase means in English. Are we talking about showing our reverence individually rather than in groups? Or does the phrase mean reverence for individuals, respect for the individuality of each human being? It might be helpful to see the English phrase used in context.

#798950 - Sat Jun 02 2012 06:51 AM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: TabbyTom]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Oddly enough, TabbyTom was the individual who flashed through my mind when reading the initial question. smile

#799110 - Sat Jun 02 2012 05:05 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Jabberwok]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I tried it in Google's translator, and came up with

Quote:
Cultum singulis reverentia

Maybe Tom can enlighten us further.

#799116 - Sat Jun 02 2012 05:44 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Jabberwok]
Myth_ Offline
Participant

It'd be the second one TabbyTom, reverence for individuals.

It's our motto, I and two friends are starting up a site showcasing independent brands, bands etc.
So the motto is "Cult of individual reverence" basically meaning high respect for those individuals and people who support the independent movement.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

#799122 - Sat Jun 02 2012 07:29 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Jabberwok]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Originally Posted By: Jabberwok
Oddly enough, TabbyTom was the individual who flashed through my mind when reading the initial question. smile

Didn't everyone?!

#799545 - Mon Jun 04 2012 12:55 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: ren33]
Myth_ Offline
Participant

No luck guys?

I think we have to change our motto haha.

#799553 - Mon Jun 04 2012 01:45 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Myth_]

Sorry to have been so long coming back to you, Myth.

I think dg dave's cultus and reverentia are OK for cult and reverence. Singuli can certainly translate individuals, but I'm not sure whether the meaning could be made clear with these words. I found the phrase magis autem aut minus ut cuique personae debetur reverentia (“according to the degree of respect due to each person”) in Quintilian's “Institutio Oratoria” . With this in mind I would suggest something like Cultus cuique homini reverentiae (“the cult of reverence for each and every person”).

#799560 - Mon Jun 04 2012 02:06 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: TabbyTom]
Myth_ Offline
Participant

Thank you.

If a direct translation can't be made, is there something closer to "Cult of reverence for individuals"
Because the phrase is about certain people who don't follow the mainstream.

Thank you for you're time by the way TabbyTom.

#799588 - Mon Jun 04 2012 03:48 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Myth_]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
A cult for individuality of expression having to be exactly correct in a Latin phrase? Oxymoron of the year!
Why not:
Cultus cuique singulorum reverentiae (Cult for reverence of individual things)?
My Latin is forty years out of practice and may be off on the individual things part. Latin isn't really a dead language, it's just hibernating or as a New Question asked about the other day, feigning death (Thanatosis, a Greek word! Have you thought of using Greek for your motto instead of Latin? That would certainly be an act of individuality). Use what your group is to be known for: individual concepts, and create a bit of Latin or Greek to your liking. Just watch out for the Latin Police when they come knocking on your portal.

#799598 - Mon Jun 04 2012 04:03 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: mehaul]

It would have to be cuique singulo rather than cuique singulorum, but that again would be "for every single person". I don't think that independent minds and individualism were really encouraged by the Romans: certainly I can't readily come up with a phrase for that sort of attitude, but I'll carry on trying to think of something.

#799626 - Mon Jun 04 2012 05:52 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: TabbyTom]
Myth_ Offline
Participant

Yeah we just thought putting the phrase into Latin would be something a little different.

I understand it will never be an exact translation. Thank you all for the help and the loose translation will be great.

#799730 - Mon Jun 04 2012 10:55 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Myth_]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
I would just like to say that usually when a similar question has been posted in this forum, we either never see the poster again, or he takes the answer and runs with no comment or word of thanks . You, Myth, with your good manners, are welcome here!

#803207 - Tue Jun 19 2012 04:57 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: ren33]
Myth_ Offline
Participant

I'm not going anywhere.
Pretty interesting here.

#809942 - Fri Jul 20 2012 06:46 AM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Myth_]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
This thread has got me thinking. If you apply for a job at a branding agency is knowledge of Latin one of the required skills you have to demonstrate?

#810341 - Mon Jul 23 2012 10:39 AM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: Snowman]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I'm quite convinced no Human Resource manager would make the explicit demand that some job candidate has mastered dead languages such as Latin or Sanskrit. However, the knowledge of foreign languages (even dead ones) is quite useful in a branding agency.

#810352 - Mon Jul 23 2012 12:39 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: JanIQ]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Knowing the History of advertising should work in an applicant's favor. Didn't the Greeks carve reliefs of women (or male body parts) in cobblestones as directions to brothels? I'm betting the Romans, who took the best of what they conquered as their own, probably improved on this by using mosaics on underfoot billboards.

#810575 - Tue Jul 24 2012 07:01 PM Re: In need of english to latin translation. [Re: mehaul]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
My Mum used to tell the tale that a guy once pointed out a mistake in the Latin caption on an ad for Gray's Cigarettes, and got free cigs for a year! There you go!

Edited by ren33 (Tue Jul 24 2012 07:02 PM)

Moderator:  TabbyTom