Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#803296 - Wed Jun 20 2012 08:14 AM Average percentage rating
akajw Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
Just curious what is the average percentage for rated quizzes? (if there is one)

akajw

#803304 - Wed Jun 20 2012 09:12 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: akajw]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
While I cannot tell you the exact average, I can tell you roughly what I feel is my own average... About 70-80% goods and excellents, 20-25% of that being excellents. smile

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#803742 - Thu Jun 21 2012 05:21 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: salami_swami]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Wouldn't it be nice to have the average around 90%, OR would that indicate the quiz is too easy, with perhaps "giveaway" answers?

I'm happy with anything over 80, but I don't understand this "algorithm" that's applied. I've got 80, 81, 82, 83, and 84 in percentages and they're all WAY over the 22,000.
I'd like to understand what that is and why it is and how it works. Then I'd be happier. I like understanding things I'm doing. I doubt I'm any different than anyone else.

Lee

#803778 - Thu Jun 21 2012 08:45 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: habitsowner]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I think the part that is an unknown for all of us is how many Poor and Very Poor ratings we've gotten. Frankly, I'm okay with that. smile

#803781 - Thu Jun 21 2012 08:57 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: shuehorn]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Right, I explained something about that, habits, in a private message. Let me go retrieve it and post it here. :-)

#803783 - Thu Jun 21 2012 08:59 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: salami_swami]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Not as in depth as I remember, but here it is. Just to reiterate what has been said...

It is simply the goods, excellents, averages, poors, and very poors that give the ranking. Unfortunately, we only see good and excellent rankings, so we do not see how many rated it poor... So if a quiz has 80% goods and excellents, with 30% excellents, it might get sunnies. Alternately, a quiz with the same stats might be very low in the rankings, because a few rated it below average.

#803787 - Thu Jun 21 2012 09:29 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: salami_swami]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
I do remember your message, Salami, and I appreciate it. However, someone, somewhere, sometime, mentioned something about an algorithm that's applied. I think that's what I'm wondering about, too. As an example, I had one with an 80% and there's only a difference of 6 between the G&E and the total ratings. (I think it was 30 to 36, as I recall, but that could be off.) And I was rather surprised to see it that low.

I also don't understand how the figures are derived, like those under and over the famed 22,000.

I don't know - I guess I'm just a "curious-er" person and want to know what I'm really playing against/with/for/what-have-you.

But, as was said, it really doesn't matter, I guess. Everyone's equal on it. So, I should try to stave off my curiousity.

At least I do understand that one must divide the "takers" by 3 to come up with the actual amount of folks who have taken the quiz. I can't say I understand the "why" of that, either, but...whether it's 1, 2, 3, or 10 it doesn't matter as long as it's uniform, I would think.

Lee

Edited to correct typo

Edited by habitsowner (Thu Jun 21 2012 09:32 PM)

#803788 - Thu Jun 21 2012 09:31 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: salami_swami]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
akajw,
Did you mean the average score on quizzes (A compilation of all those "76.7 FT players answered this correctly" values) or just the rated levels? It might be interesting to know both values: one, for how smart FTers are; and, two, how happy we are with the quizzes in general.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#803808 - Fri Jun 22 2012 12:46 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: habitsowner]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: habitsowner
I also don't understand how the figures are derived, like those under and over the famed 22,000.

I don't know - I guess I'm just a "curious-er" person and want to know what I'm really playing against/with/for/what-have-you.

But, as was said, it really doesn't matter, I guess. Everyone's equal on it. So, I should try to stave off my curiousity.

No-one knows how the figures are derived, apart from Terry.

The more good/excellent ratings and the less poors/very poors you have, the better your quiz is rated. In other words, the better the ratings, the higher ranked your quiz is.

It doesn't really matter. Just try and make good quizzes and have fun writing them. smile

~(_8(I)

#803826 - Fri Jun 22 2012 05:29 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: mehaul]
akajw Offline
Participant

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: mehaul
akajw,
Did you mean the average score on quizzes (A compilation of all those "76.7 FT players answered this correctly" values) or just the rated levels? It might be interesting to know both values: one, for how smart FTers are; and, two, how happy we are with the quizzes in general.

It was about how happy people are with the quizzes.

#803839 - Fri Jun 22 2012 06:59 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: akajw]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'd agree with Adam that it doesn't really matter.

When I first started here, I used to chart my standings every week, watching them like a hawk. But after a while I realized that the standings had very little relationship to how much I liked a specific quiz, how fervent the compliments on it were, how often it got played .... In a way, paying close attention to the standings was interfering with my enjoyment of quiz writing.

#803865 - Fri Jun 22 2012 09:31 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: agony]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
In a way, paying close attention to the standings was interfering with my enjoyment of quiz writing.

Agreed-- knowing all the mechanics behind it still wouldn't make anybody more adept at writing a quiz. You can't control how other people will play so it wouldn't matter anyways. I think the algorithms and numbers are just another great mystery.

Enjoy quizzes by writing them and playing them-- not by working out a science. How 'smart' our players are can't be gleaned from the percentages in a quiz, and any quizzes can get trashed or bolstered by ratings. The so-called 'science' of it is kind of botched by random chance of which players play it and what they like.

#803897 - Fri Jun 22 2012 10:55 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: kyleisalive]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
The so-called 'science' of it is kind of botched by random chance of which players play it and what they like.

Very true. It's not like players have a grading schematic for quizzes and "x" number of points equals a rating of "average". Each rating is completely subjective and based on what the individual player enjoys and looks for in a quiz. The old saying "you can't please all of the people all of the time" certainly applies to quiz-writing. My philosophy is that your quiz should please one person--you--and if that's the case your quiz's rating on the site shouldn't really matter very much.

If you're really interested in writing a popular quiz, though, you can ask a category editor for some suggestions on how to improve your submission. Terry recently introduced a new text box in the quiz template for "submission notes to the editor". This would be a good place to ask the editor for guidance (e.g. "I'm not too pleased with how my quizzes have been rated in the past by players. If this was your quiz, what changes would you make?") or identify areas in the quiz that you yourself believe are problematic ("I had trouble with the wording in question #3. Does this work?").

I think I can safely speak for all of the editors when I say that we have no problem at all giving out suggestions to players who are looking for them. The problem is, we can't usually tell which authors want help improving and which aren't interested in ratings and just enjoy putting quizzes that they like online for others to play. Suggestions aren't always well received by the latter group (or are just ignored when given), so an editor won't usually say everything on his or her mind unless prompted for help.

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#803951 - Fri Jun 22 2012 04:40 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: LadyCaitriona]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I second what Lady C said.

#804026 - Sat Jun 23 2012 09:24 AM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: agony]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

I had no idea that the open space in the quiz writing form could be used to invite suggestions for improvement. What a good idea. Thanks.

#804109 - Sat Jun 23 2012 03:29 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: shuehorn]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
That new box can be used for any communication to the editor you think is important or useful. (But please do not use it to register complaints or ask for favors such as fast editing. It is there to help writers and editors work together constructively with a slightly increased degree of communication available.) It is a great place to indicate any uncertainties, or to ask for advice. Previously, it was necessary to send a message to a specific editor of the category, and they might not see it for several days. Now you can attach it directly to the quiz, and it will be seen by the first editor who gets to your quiz in the queue.

It is most especially useful if, for example, it is a Commission quiz that must use a specific title or include a specific word, and which an editor might otherwise change to be slightly nicer, or a Sprint quiz that must go to a certain category - the editor can tell you how to change it to make it fit better where you want it, rather than just moving it to a different category where it fits better.

#804115 - Sat Jun 23 2012 05:32 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: looney_tunes]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Brilliant!

#804169 - Sat Jun 23 2012 11:19 PM Re: Average percentage rating [Re: shuehorn]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
LadyC I think you said that brilliantly.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Moderator:  agony