Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#990548 - Sun Jun 23 2013 01:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
I'm whispering the next one because I'm not sure that I should have enjoyed it so much:

"Jurassic Park"

It's a lot of fun! Spielberg is an incredible entertainer. I remember now why it was such a big hit. Sure the lines are a bit corny, and it's all utterly unbelievable and OTT... but big fun.

#991591 - Tue Jun 25 2013 10:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
"How Green Was My Valley" (1941) -- starring a wee Roddy McDowall. I had heard so much about this film and finally saw it. It did not disappoint. And even though it was in black-and-white and in a studio (it was supposed to be on location in Technicolor, but the war prevented that), it really did give you a sense of a beautiful green valley in Wales.

#992485 - Thu Jun 27 2013 11:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Copago]
ga_jam831 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Warner Robins Georgia USA     
I had not read the book so I can't answer how or if they were able to recreate the scenes. Some of the special effects were very good. On a scale of 10 I would probably rate it as 7.83.

#995449 - Mon Jul 08 2013 08:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Source Code" - Let's do the time warp again - Donny Darko returns as an Army Captain (Colter Stevens) involved in a time replay experiment. Excellent plot flow to build what could have been a boring tale. I was delighted to see Jake Gyllenhaal turn in another great performance.

"Spain...on the Road Again" - not a movie but it was like a 12 hour dinermentary. It was a series done on PBS of some celebrities touring Spain and dining on some of that country's exquisite cuisine. It starred Gwyneth Paltrow, Mario Batali, Mark Bittman and Claudia Bassols. There was a guest appearance by R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe. Willy Nelson did a cover of his "On the Road Again" as the opening and closing title on each episode. OOOOH, love those tappas.

"The Watch" - A Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughn vehicle best left parked out in the lot while you're inside the theater watching something good. Sorry, it wasn't really that bad and had some good humor in it. An hour and a half that gives good escape material.

"Elektra" - A Jennifer Garner vehicle best left... no, it is a good companion film to her and hubby's "Daredevil" effort. There is no DD in this since it explores the formative history of the Elektra character. Will Stan Lee bring all his realm to the big screen? I want to see "Shanna - The She Devil".

"The Mask of Zorro" - Hopkins, Banderas and Zeta-Jones. A good old fashioned action flick without a lot of CG. Plenty of thrilling stunt work. Swords are brandished for the sword and sorcery fans to like. The story was drawn from the same pulp serial era as the "John Carter" film was (early 1900 decades), it relies on non-stop character involvement and development to its great success.

"The Story of Ruth" - Can a Bible story film ever disappoint? This 1960 production certainly didn't.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Jul 09 2013 11:44 AM)

#995496 - Tue Jul 09 2013 07:26 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
"Penny Points to Paradise"

Starring The Goons (Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe, Spike Milligan) and other comedy legends, but right back at the very start of their careers.

Painfully awful. Or as Peter Sellers put it: "a terrifyingly bad film".

Worth seeing just to marvel at how far they advanced since then! The only bright points were a couple of lines from Sellers and his great acting (however unfunny the script), and a fleeting but excellent Bette Davis impersonation from actress Paddie O'Neil.

If you can withstand the boredom, it's really worth a look-see as a piece of history -- it was the Goons before they got good, and with the exception of Sellers it's hard to believe they got any work at all following it. With hindsight we can see the kernels of what they would all become, and that's interesting, but with Spike doing nothing to show that he had any humour, wit, spark or even a brain -- in fact I didn't even realise it was him for a long time -- sometimes it was more like a parallel universe.

Amazing.

#995859 - Wed Jul 10 2013 11:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canada
The Reeds

It's British horror so I thought it was around the same lines as Eden Lake - I was wrong! :P I enjoyed this movie for the supernatural content and the neverending twists and turns. Lovelovelove it. =D

#997114 - Thu Jul 18 2013 01:20 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Where Eagles Dare (1968), starring Richard Burton & Clint Eastwood & Mary Ure.

I'm not really keen on action films, but I really liked this one. It's one of Burton's first action films. The plot seems pretty straightforward, a rescue mission, but then it gets really complicated, as things aren't quite what they seem, and you don't know whom to believe. (For example, in the first scene, there's a woman hiding on the plane, and she secretly parachutes down after the rest of the team leaves.) It's remarkable, really!

Also cool is that Yakima Canutt shot most of the action scenes; if you don't know who that is, he's one of the greatest stuntmen of Hollywood (and an Olympic champion).

4 stars!

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Jul 23 2013 03:50 AM)
Edit Reason: "really" not "real"!

#997151 - Thu Jul 18 2013 07:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Nice thing there with the stars, Grace.

Sunshine - Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans, Rose Byrne, Michelle Yeoh, Hiroyuki Sanada
A nice little Sci-Fi flick.

The Spirit - Gabriel Macht, Samuel L. Jackson, Sarah Paulson, Eva Mendes, Scarlett Johansson, Dan Lauria
A nice Graphic Novel on screen effort by Frank Miller (Sin City) I liked it a lot but the paid critics didn't. Can't figure it. It is a simple tale like a single issue of a comic book. Maybe the critics need convolution and intertwined multiple plots to be impressed? Seeing the work of Louis Lombardi (as Phobos, Logos, Pathos, Ethos, Bulbos, Huevos and Rancheros, Mangos, Adios and Amigos, the Octopus's cloned morons) is worth the price of admission.

The Bride of Frankenstein - Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Elsa Lanchester, Ernst Thesiger, Dwight Frye
Yes, this is critically acclaimed since the year it came out as one of the best films ever made.

Bicentennial Man - Robin Williams, Embeth Davitz, Oliver Platt, Kiersten Warren
Another panned by critics but I find it to be the best yet Asimov presented work (better than Fantastic Voyage and I, Robot). It explores in the beginning the 3 Laws of Robotics before shifting into Romeo&Juliette mode. It was acclaimed for the extensive aging make-up effects (Oscar). I liked it for the sub-story of the NDR-114 modified version Galatea (Warren). She is the reflection of an unchanged Andrew (Williams), a sentient positronically brained, dancing, squeaky voiced feminine robot who watches all the human-bound up-grades Andrew attempts in his quest to be loved. I sensed her character knew love without having to become something else. There is a finale question about afterlife and all that theologic questions it arouses that many seem want to debate about in this film. It is after all a man made machine trying to become like its creator and who gives up his life to erase the mortal sin of his birth as a robot. But, I rewatch this film to see the great dancing, singing and human emotions expressed on the face of Galatea. She is more like a goddess who walks among us, unseen, observing our behaviour. If she can love, cannot I love her in return? Kiersten ain't got nothing to be ashamed of here but the puppeted character is simply a beautiful thing.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jul 20 2013 02:15 PM)

#997512 - Sat Jul 20 2013 11:50 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"A Beginner's Guide to Endings" - came upon this flicking though the channels on a motel TV. If you like a low budget dark comedy, there is a lot here to like. Highly recommended to those who like something a bit off beat, and who don't mind a little sloppiness or low production values.

#998356 - Wed Jul 24 2013 09:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Red River (1948), directed by Howard Hawks and starring John Wayne, Montgomery Clift, Walter Brennan

Well, here's another film I'd heard about from cinephiles, and it was pretty good. A solid film about herding cattle across the Midwest and all the trouble that goes with it. There were lots of extras, and SOOOO many cattle in this film, too.

I do happen to know that John Wayne and Walter Brennan couldn't stand Monty Clift, politically or otherwise, and they shunned him during the filming. So it's funny watching this film where there is supposed to undying, unspoken love between a stepfather and a stepson. It's supposed to be the whole basis for the conflict in the film! It sort of explains why the viewer doesn't really feel it, even though one of the few women in the movie keeps insisting that it's true. Saying it doesn't make it so.

#998357 - Wed Jul 24 2013 09:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Oh, mehaul, I saw Bicentennial Man when it was at the cinema. It made me cry. It also made me upset because there's a lot in there about death, and my father was sick with cancer at the time. So I don't think I could ever watch it again. frown

(But I can't agree with the critics, it was good film notwithstanding my feelings at the time.)

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Jul 24 2013 09:34 PM)

#998597 - Thu Jul 25 2013 06:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"Lincoln" - not really what I expected, but pretty good. I may be partial though, because I'm a huge Sally Field fan... I wish there was more of their relationship!

Editor for Television Category

#1003369 - Wed Aug 14 2013 07:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

I had forgotten what a great movie this was and the scenery in it is fantastic.

#1005898 - Fri Aug 23 2013 09:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Paul" (2011)

Still think these guys' best work was "Shaun of the Dead", but I enjoyed this quite a lot, too.

#1005911 - Sat Aug 24 2013 02:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
Rewatching "All Creatures Great and Small" - a series rather than a film, on netflix. I read the books back when and watched the series, which now seems a bit corny, but is still well done and good fun. Another good Brit series is "Monarch of the Glen".
Film: "Jesus Christ Superstar" - IMHO, best musical ever. I have two versions of it on tape, and have seen it on stage in a post modern version that was also very enjoyable.

#1007126 - Wed Aug 28 2013 02:13 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Southn Highlands NSW Australia
Just watched A Thousand Words with Eddie Murphy i couldn't stop laughing it's Eddie's best film since Bowfinger

Premium Rush with Joseph Gordon Levett this was a really good movie, I'm a fan Joseph Gordon Levett films

#1007239 - Wed Aug 28 2013 10:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
'Safehouse'... Somewhat entertaining!

#1007375 - Wed Aug 28 2013 04:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
The last film I watched (for about the fifth time) was "Mrs. Brown", the true story of Queen Victoria and her manservant John Brown. It's a terrific 'feel good' film that is beautifully acted and directed.

Queen Victoria is in deep mourning for her beloved husband, Prince Albert. John Brown was the former manservant to Prince Albert; after the Prince's death, Brown journeys to the Queen to resume his duties for the Monarch. The Queen is at first reluctant to accept Brown's service but she slowly begins to accept it, then need it and finally look forward to his company. I've heard it said that their relationship was physical; I don't believe that. I think they became devoted and loving friends. Victoria slowly came out of her deep mourning and depression thanks to Brown's friendship; Brown further realized his service to the monarchy.

If you enjoy British history, this film is definitley for you.

#1008155 - Sun Sep 01 2013 06:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Southn Highlands NSW Australia
Saw."A Little Bit Of Heaven" with Kate Hudson loved this movie i had a tear in my eye watching this movie

#1015362 - Fri Oct 11 2013 07:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

"The Return of the Pink Panther" starring Peter Sellers.

Very, very, very funny! My goal is to see all of the original Pink Panther movies.

(P.S. What happened to this thread? Everybody stopped watching films?)

Edited by gracious1 (Fri Oct 11 2013 07:40 PM)

#1015363 - Fri Oct 11 2013 08:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

"The Last Picture Show"
Tim Bottoms, Cloris Leachman, Jeff Bridges, Ben Johnson, Cybil Shepard, Ellen Burstyn, Randy Quaid, Eileen Brennan and Clu Galager
I found this way, way too personal. It intimately imposed on the ideas about youthful morality as it first faces the real world of broken bonds I thought were mine alone! Strictly for the lovers of broken down pre-WW-II farm trucks. Why haven't I seen this before? It's definitely a top something on most lists.

A re-watch:
"Return to Oz"
Fairuza Balk, Nicol Williamson, Jean Marsh, Piper Laurie and Henson Pupetting
This is not really a sequel to the original. There's no song and dance. Most of the characters are different. BUT, it is a telling of more of the Land of Baum. It is a live action version of "Ozma of Oz". The acting is particularly outstanding.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Oct 11 2013 08:38 PM)

#1015582 - Sun Oct 13 2013 12:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

"The Pink Panther Strikes Again" (1976)

The opening titles are especially impressive as they parody several classic movies and a Broadway musical. And Herbert Lom steals several scenes from Peter Sellers. And the fight scenes with 'Cato', which parody those Bruce Lee films, are awesome! Hilarious!

Edited by gracious1 (Sun Oct 13 2013 12:10 AM)

#1015681 - Sun Oct 13 2013 07:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

'Mystery Street'
A low-budget film noir mystery, yet it's really quite good. Ricardo Montalban gives a fine performance as a cop in Boston.

#1015797 - Mon Oct 14 2013 11:10 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Kankurette Offline
Participant

Loc: Manchester UK         
I'm not entirely sure, but I think it was 'Requiem For A Dream', at my mum's house. Didn't see the whole thing, only the last bit (the 'Winter' section where everything goes to pot - I'm not saying anymore as I don't want to spoil it). It is not an easy film to watch by any means - I was in tears at the end. It's about drug addiction, basically. I'd like to watch the whole thing from scratch.

#1016389 - Thu Oct 17 2013 10:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Having myself a little private Michael Caine film festival - last night "Alfie" and tonight it was "The Cider House Rules".

"Alfie" is a little dated, but still pretty good, I thought.

"The Cider House Rules" is a favourite book of mine, so I had resisted seeing the movie. They did a great job, though. Tobey Macguire was a perfect choice to play Homer - he's able to portray that ruined naivety.

It was in a double release DVD with "The Shipping News" - now that's one I'm *really* afraid to watch. Watching movie versions of books I love is fraught with danger for me - they so often trample all over them.

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong