Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 13 of 23 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 23 >
Topic Options
#1016520 - Fri Oct 18 2013 09:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Broken Flowers"

This was great, if you like movies where nothing much happens and there is no resolution of the central problem.

That sounds like a sarcastic rotten tomato, but actually I tend to like that kind of movie quite a lot, and it really is great. Bill Murray made such stupid movies when he was a young man, and is making such smart ones now.

#1016530 - Fri Oct 18 2013 11:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Donnie Darko and S. Darko

Two enjoyable investigations of Richard Kelly's ideas about time travel, why it happens, how we are involved and its impact on how we lead our lives. I found it interesting that the actress who played the 10 year old sister in the original D. Darko was able to get the role to play the follow-up character (Samantha) of 7 years later (but would any other casting have made sense?). The music of both are haunting. I even have ordered a copy of Dead Can Dance's "Into the Labyrinth".

#1016679 - Sun Oct 20 2013 02:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Another Michael Caine film, "The Quiet American".

This is another favourite book of mine, though it's been some years since I read it. On the whole they did a great job, I thought. Casting was perfect - the contrast between the older European and the young American is central to the story. Dosn't capture all the complexity of the book, but makes a good stab at it. Beautifully filmed.

#1016682 - Sun Oct 20 2013 03:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
shorthumbz Offline
Participant

Loc: Ohio USA
I thought Michael Caine was phenomenal in "The Quiet American." While I don't think Oscar awards are the be-all/end-all, in the year he did that performance he was nominated with Daniel Day-Lewis ("Gangs of New York"), Jack Nicholson ("About Schmidt"), and Nicolas Cage ("Adaptation); and they ALL (a VERY rich group) lost to Adrien Brody's tour-de-force performance in "The Pianist."

I saw "Lincoln" yesterday for the first time. I could watch Daniel Day-Lewis read the phone book.

#1016871 - Tue Oct 22 2013 12:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
C30 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
The last film I watched, was also the first film I watched...............to explain:-

Until the age of 13, I had seen but one film.......and that I can't remember the title of (maybe "Black Shield....something or other......when I was about 9 years old). We lived way out in the wilds of rural East Anglia. When I was 13 we moved to Bury St. Edmunds and I went to the cinema to see the Western "Drum Beat".
A few days ago I caught it on TV whilst "channel hopping" and watched it again!

#1016946 - Tue Oct 22 2013 08:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
shorthumbz Offline
Participant

Loc: Ohio USA
That's a great story.

I was lucky growing up. Our town had three movie theaters, and I went with my friends or my sister and/or cousin almost every week. There were also several drive-in thaters in our area; and we went to those a lot, especially in the summer.

I honestly don't remember the first film I saw; I wish I could.

#1016952 - Tue Oct 22 2013 09:41 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Two acceptable time investments:

"Battle Beyond the Stars" - Roger Corman's first release from New Horizon Pictures and James Cameron's first shot as Art Director and Miniature Director. This is a Sci-fi version of the "Seven Samurai" which led to "The Magnificent Seven" with Robert Vaughn who reprised that role in this film. If it's Corman, it's most likely campy and it is.

"THX 1138" - George Lucas' first feature film, starring Robert Duvall and Donald Pleasence. A very avant-garde offering from a major studio pay-rolling a first-time Director. The reason for that? Francis Ford Coppola served as Producer. A good dystopian diversion in MHO. The forty years between then, the then of the film and now show some remarkable premonitions about the evolution of society.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Oct 22 2013 09:44 AM)

#1016954 - Tue Oct 22 2013 09:53 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I've just watched the 'Millennium' trilogy from the books by Steig Larsson. If you've not seen them, I can think of much worse ways of spending a few hours!

#1017105 - Wed Oct 23 2013 01:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
I've had a mini-Bogart festival this week. Only two films but when those two are Casablanca and The African Queen then it's worth over-selling it.

Very enjoyable both.

#1017172 - Wed Oct 23 2013 09:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Tried the next in my Michael Caine festival, but couldn't finish it - "Sleuth". Looked to be just Caine and Jude Law in one of those very stagy filmings of a play. All very arty and possibly even very good, if you can stand to watch it. I couldn't - every word of the witty banter screamed "Fake" and "Stagy", but it's the "Boring" that finally did me in.

This is a remake of the 1972 version, apparently, where Caine played the part of the younger man against Lawrence Olivier, god help us.

#1017203 - Thu Oct 24 2013 06:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
The original is good. The re-make considerably less so.

#1017208 - Thu Oct 24 2013 06:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Minority Report"

Not a take on the USA justice system's inequalities. A sci-fi flick based on a P.K. Dick idea about how the paranormal ability of precognition might be used (and cheated on). The idea is a good one; the dialog and plot are suspenseful. It's just that every time Tom Cruise and Colin Farrell went nose to nose, I couldn't help but think of how short they are. Hey, Spielberg directed it so it must be good!

#1017636 - Sat Oct 26 2013 08:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Nightmare Alley" 1947. Pretty good carney movie - Tyrone Power looks great in a wife-beater. It should have ended five minutes before it did - "Mister, I was made for it" - great line. Fantastic performance by Helen Walker as the psychologist.

#1017737 - Sun Oct 27 2013 01:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

This was a couple of days ago (I watched it on TCM), but: 1962's "Knife in the Water." I'm not a fan of Polanski's personal life choices, but the movie is undeniably compelling.

What really interested me was the difference in audience expectations between then and now. Today, a movie with this plot--a couple pick up a hitchhiker and take him sailing with them--would be obliged to provide a psychotic hitchhiker or sinister sadistic couple. Or perhaps aliens or ghosts. (And indeed the IMDb comments on the movie reveal how disappointed many viewers were that the usual tropes weren't present, given that they'd heard the movie was suspenseful.)

#1018770 - Sat Nov 02 2013 06:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
MissteriousOne Offline
Explorer

Loc: USA
Red Eye

It was an okay movie.

#1019175 - Tue Nov 05 2013 01:03 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Over the weekend...

"The Parallax View" (1974) starring Warren Beatty

Wow! This is a conspiracy nut's dream. Don't want to give too much away, but if you like political paranoia, this is the film for you. Some really interesting cinematography near the end, too.

"Marathon Man" (1976) starring Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier

Another conspiracy-type film, really disturbing, won't need to see it twice, but I'm glad I saw it once. Olivier plays a Nazi dentist and Hoffman plays a victim of circumstance, who had no idea what his late brother was up to. Not an easy movie to watch at times, though.

And now for something completely different...
"Snow White and the Three Stooges"

Filmed in CinemaScope, it has some very nice ice skating scenes and colorful sets. The Three Stooges are definitely showing their age, though. But it's nice escapist fare. I believe that the ventriloquism was faked, though, and Mel Blanc's voice was dubbed in for the dummy, Quinto.

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Nov 05 2013 01:06 AM)

#1019255 - Tue Nov 05 2013 09:32 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Marathon Man is one of my favs - one of the best book-to-movie adaptations out there, probably because it was done by the book author, who is also a very accomplished screenwriter. "Is it safe?"

#1019523 - Wed Nov 06 2013 08:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
MissteriousOne Offline
Explorer

Loc: USA
This Is 40

#1019662 - Thu Nov 07 2013 11:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The 4 DVD set of
"Starhunter - The Complete Series" (the first season) A Canadian (/British/French/German) Sci-fi TV episodic endeavour. As close to the Anime legend "Cowboy Be Bop" as you can get without the lawyers becoming involved. As a live action tale it's pretty good and the parts that differentiate it from the animated make it good for plot/theme carryovers from episode to episode.
Can I bring up the use of 'complete series' not being the 'complete series'? This is the complete season 1 of the TV series which ran two seasons. So, shouldn't the title be "Starhunte - The Complete 2000/1 Series"? Has anyone watched the "Starhunter - The Complete Series" season 2? I understand it is different with a mostly new cast. Would it be worth investing in it?

Edit: I am now watching the DVDs again since I found out the DVD distributor changed the episode sequence from how the series was written and aired. they lasered eps 4,2,3,5,6 then 1. It does make better sense in this new order. The set's box also claims extra footage but that I have found to mean that they included the episode intro-monologs by Rudolpho setting up each installment's theme which wasn't part of the broadcasts in the USA. So, nothing that really hasn't been seen before.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Nov 07 2013 12:37 PM)

#1020015 - Sat Nov 09 2013 02:57 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Without a Clue" Sherlock Holmes with quite a difference.

Watson (Ben Kingsley), here, is the great detective, and Holmes (Michael Caine) is merely an actor playing the part. Not a fabulous movie, but quite a lot of fun, with some good performances. Victorian London looks wonderful.

#1020176 - Sun Nov 10 2013 06:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Razor's Edge" 1946.

Wow, this was much much better than I expected it to be (and I expected to like it). Beautifully filmed, some knockout performances. I read the book first as a new-agey teen in the '70s, and I expected this film to Hollywoodize the themes, but it doesn't, too much. The scenes in India are pretty laughable but otherwise not too bad.

This is a great movie, dealing with subjects most movies don't, and doing it well. AND it has Clifton Webb in it, which is always a bonus. A great addition to the little Tyrone Power film festival I appear to be having.

#1020182 - Sun Nov 10 2013 07:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: C30]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
"The Black Shield of Falworth" perhaps.

#1020183 - Sun Nov 10 2013 07:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
I had watched (rented from library) season 1 of "Dexter" year ago, am now watching the rest on netflix, good characters, good story line, a bit gruesome, but that's what it's about.

#1020816 - Thu Nov 14 2013 12:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Christmas in Connecticut" - well, this was fun. Madcap comedy at its best - mixups, deceptions, doors slamming... You don't see Barbara Stanwyck in a comedic role very often, but she's cute as a button.

#1021305 - Sat Nov 16 2013 09:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Mark of Zorro" (1940)

This is everything it should be. I think I'm in love with Tyrone Power.

Page 13 of 23 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 22 23 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong