Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 14 of 21 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#1021320 - Sun Nov 17 2013 03:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
How fickle! You've been batting your eyelashes at Al Pacino for pages! ;D

Gracious: "Marathon Man...won't need to see it twice, but I'm glad I saw it once" - my thoughts exactly! Fabulous film, and I've often attempted to watch it again but find I can't bear to. That's a mark of how good it was, I think. I've had the same feeling after reading novels by John Fowles.

Last night I watched "Mr Brooks" with Kevin Costner, Demi Moore and William Hurt. It was very good: an intelligent serial killer is on the loose and the plot twists and turns in very satisfying ways. Its only fault is that it was very obviously meant to have a sequel, so we are left wanting to know more (which would of course be brilliant had they ever made the rest of the trilogy they had planned.)

I also re-watched Hitchcock's "Lifeboat". Perfect Sunday afternoon black-and-white story-telling.

Edited by Chavs (Sun Nov 17 2013 03:28 AM)

#1022003 - Wed Nov 20 2013 10:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Wonder Woman"

I've been indulging in eye candy too. I've watched the pilot movie for "Wonder Woman" starring Lynda Carter and Lyle Waggoner. Co-stars were Cloris Leachman, Stella Stevens, Henry Gibson, Red Buttons and Kenneth Mars. The full series cast list at IMdB is about 450 actors long! Now I go to struggle through watching the 14 episodes of the first season. For those unfamiliar with the theme for the start of the series, it takes place during the Second World War and is focused mainly on espionage between the Nazis and Americans. Tons of vintage autos and other hardware of the period to be seen and appreciated as the set designers seemed to be operating carte blanche.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1023091 - Mon Nov 25 2013 06:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Coriolanus Offline
Participant

Loc: Auckland NZ
I've just started subscribing to TCM, and so far I've watched The Prize (great Hitchcock-style thriller with Paul Newman and Edward G. Robinson), Garbo in Anna Karenina (so much better than Joe Wright's boring, pretentious version) and North By Northwest (classic Hitchcock).

#1023136 - Tue Nov 26 2013 01:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
C30 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Just watched one of the made for TV miniseries from the Larry McMurty books, "Comanche Moon".........not as good as "Lonesome Dove", but better IMO than "Streets of Laredo".
However I would rate ALL of those "excellent".
Makes a change, a refreshing change, to watch a "Western" where the characters look and sound the part, and the weapons they carry are correct for the period depicted. (

All in all, VERY enjoyable.

#1023171 - Tue Nov 26 2013 07:34 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
They did a great job with "Dead Man's Walk", too - maybe my favourite of the followups. Young Gus and Call on their first expedition as Texas Rangers.

I agree, they are all excellent.

#1023229 - Tue Nov 26 2013 03:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
C30 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Lancashire England UK         
Agreeed Agony - never mentioned that one as not a film I have recently watched - might see if I can catch it sometime.

All the movies, even "Return to Lonesome Dove" (which most fans disliked), were excellent............full of memorable characters and accurate period portrayals.

My main gripe, is that the makers sometimes forgot that "cap and ball" weapons need percussion caps fitted to fire........but that's nit picking. I give all those miniseries the highest praise possible.

#1023842 - Sun Dec 01 2013 05:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Well, I was feeling the need to watch "The Bells of St Mary's" for Christmas, and so thought I'd start it off right. Just finished "Going My Way", the first Father O'Malley movie.

And, y'know, Barry Fitzgerald is just a little too cute for me; could have strangled the old leprechaun by the end of the film.

#1024478 - Fri Dec 06 2013 08:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Network" 1976.

I can't believe I've never seen this before, somehow it's slipped through the cracks. What a great movie, what a cast. I found myself, during some of the too-long tirades, just watching the faces of these amazing actors. A couple of scenes really hit me as more authentic than we are used to seeing in movies: one is when William Holden is comforting his wife in her grief that he is leaving her - it's so clearly a habit for him to hold her when she cries, and for her to go to him. Lovely. Another is the scene when everyone in the office ends up sitting around Holden's office listening to him tell war stories as he packs up his desk - it captures the feel of a workplace so well.

By the way, anyone place the actor who enters that scene, with his tie untied, to bring the news from above that Peter Finch isn't fired after all? He looks so familiar - the young version of a now familiar face - but I can't place him.

#1024500 - Fri Dec 06 2013 09:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Comedies that allow the escapist to emerge:
"Year One" - Jack Black, Michael Cera and many others
"Wish You Were Dead" - Cary Elwes, Tanya Allen, Mary Steenbergen, Christopher Lloyd

Action/Romance/Surfing/Sky-diving Action that is good at times and bad at times:
"Point Break" - Keanu Reeves, Gary Busey, Lori Petty, Patrick Swayze

Musicals - All three are greats:
"Yankee Doodle Dandy" - James Cagney, Jeanne Cagney, Walter Huston, Rosemary Decamp, Joan Leslie - The extra bits on the Two disc WB set contains much history to appreciate
Three Little Words - Fred Astaire, Red Skelton, Vera-Ellen, Arlene Dahl, Keenan Wynn, Debbie Reynolds
Hair - John Savage, Treat Williams (I still prefer the soundtrack of the original play but the outdoor aspects of the big screen are in its favor)

#1024900 - Mon Dec 09 2013 08:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Bells of St Mary's" Bing Crosby as Father O'Malley again, this time teamed up with Ingrid Bergman as Sister Benedict. I liked this one a lot more, partly because Bergman is a lot better actor than Barry Fitzgerald. There's more coherence to the plot, too.

And the kids' nativity play - the part that makes this something of a Christmas movie - is freakin' priceless. I spend an awful lot of time with real kids this age, and except for a few bits here and there, I get a very strong impression that they're not acting, that this is mostly ad libbed by the kids.

#1025043 - Mon Dec 09 2013 08:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

"LEXX" Brian Downey, Xenia Seeburg, Michael McManus and dozens of notable talented guest stars (I would do a disservice if I tried to list them and failed to include any of them - check out the characters at the wiki article)
This was a series that began as 4 two hour movies in the first season then switched to shorter duration episodic installments, some stand alone and some carry-overs. It ran for 4 seasons. It was a Canadian product with help from Germany and the UK. There were 61 episodes at about 50 hours of story. I loved it.

"Cowboys and Aliens" - Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde
This was produced by Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard and John Favreau (who directed)
As a unique concept, it could have been dismissed as a stretch of credibility but Favreau kept things true to the Western and Sci-Fi masterworks and delivered an entertaining product.

My previous mention of "Wonder Woman" was just the first season. I now have Season 2 to watch. All this eye candy will expand my eye's waistline fer sure! I'll have to watch hours of tennis back and forth to get them back into shape.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Dec 09 2013 08:06 PM)

#1027128 - Sun Dec 22 2013 02:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Began watching all the versions of "A Christmas Carol" that I could....
I think I like the musical "Scrooge" best, with Albert Finney and Sir Alec Guinness. And the 1971 cartoon. But I can't say I hate any of them... I think....

I even liked the "updated" retelling with Cicely Tyson as Ms. Scrooge.

#1027464 - Tue Dec 24 2013 07:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

More Xmas fare...

"It Happened on 5th Avenue" (1947) - homeless people, including veterans, shack up in a mansion empty for the winter (the owner is on holiday), and somehow end up buying some property from the owner. I guess homelessness among veterans was a problem even back then, which is really sad (although the movie itself is upbeat by the end).

"Christmas in Connecticut" (1945) - a magazine columnist has to host a Navy hero at the request of her publisher, and she pretends to be married, but somehow it all works out that she gets a raise and marries the naval officer.

#1027749 - Fri Dec 27 2013 03:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
White Christmas...

Always a favorite along with "It's a Wonderful Life."

#1028148 - Tue Dec 31 2013 09:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Saving Mr Banks".

It's hard for me to say whether this was a good movie or not - I saw it with my daughter, and the subject matter hits so close to home for us that we both found it devastating. "Mary Poppins" was the first movie I remember watching in the theatre, I had the record and know all the songs by heart, and I read the original books as a child. All in all, this one hit my sweet spot.

#1028150 - Tue Dec 31 2013 10:13 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

First a couple of great non-gangster Cagney vehicles:
"A Midsummer Night's Dream" - James Cagney, Olivia de Havilland, Mickey Rooney, Dick Powell, Angelo Rossitto, Billy Barty
I found this much easier to watch than to actually read Shakespeare's great comedy. Having it seen performed is a much easier task than trying to remember all the characters and plots within plots and plays within plays and keeping a perspective on the fun side to it.

"Footlight Parade" - James Cagney, Ruby Keeler, Joan Blondell, Dick Powell, Billy Barty, Dorothy Lamour, Ann Sothern
A great sample of the start to Busby Berkeley's career. Couldn't get Cagney's "Shanghai Lil" out of my head for days. It is an interesting look at an early aspect of the talking cinema's push for success: the Prologue Production. Seems in the big cities they offered live entertainment to draw in the crowds and then gave them a talkie to watch. The talkies weren't that great a draw when they first came out and needed the extra incentive to go spend your money (it was during the Great Depression after all) Great film!

I can't figure out why I like this one:
"Bandits" - Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Cate Blanchette, Troy Garity (Jane Fonda & Tom Hayden's son)
The central theme is bank robbing, accentuated by kidnapping, a ménage a trois, the crooks get away with conning the cops in the end and they all live happily ever after at our expense. None of those aspects are to be socially recommended (but not all condemned). It must be the great repartee the actors seemed to have playing off each other that makes it worthy of recommending. That is to extol the writers and actors who created the interactions.

Oh, and my eyes are soooo fat now. I watched Season 3 Of "The New Adventures of Wonder Woman"

Edited by mehaul (Tue Dec 31 2013 10:32 AM)

#1028204 - Tue Dec 31 2013 03:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Agony, I enjoyed "Saving Mr. Banks." Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks are two great actors!
Isn't this movie supposed to be based on what actually happened when Walt Disney was filming "Mary Poppins"?

#1028222 - Tue Dec 31 2013 06:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Apparently it's fairly closely based - given that it is a Hollywood movie, after all. They have many hours of tape from the original sessions, and one of the Sherman brothers was a consultant. As someone who has read the original Mary Poppins books, I can say that the woman Emma Thompson portrayed on screen could have written them - Mary Poppins was magic, but she wasn't very cuddly.

#1028361 - Wed Jan 01 2014 11:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"To Kill a Mockingbird". Dang, it really is one of the very best movies.

#1028492 - Fri Jan 03 2014 01:34 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

A marathon:

"That's Entertainment" (1974)
"That's Entertainment, Part II" (1976)
"That's Entertainment III" (1994)
"That's Dancing!" (1985)

All starred the marvelous Gene Kelly as himself. And "II" had the elderly Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly doing new choreography. And "III" had some wonderful footage of Judy Garland and Cyd Charisse that had never been publicly shown before (deleted scenes, unused footage, and the like).

#1029938 - Tue Jan 14 2014 09:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Father of the Bride (Spencer Tracy version)
Green Lantern
Zulu Dawn
After Earth
Sky High
Ivanhoe
Gallipoli
When Nature Calls
Goya's Ghosts
Gone Baby Gone
Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Where did I find the time?

#1030067 - Wed Jan 15 2014 09:49 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa. Plenty of laugh out loud moments but just a touch disappointing for me. It was a little bit safe.

#1030395 - Fri Jan 17 2014 02:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
Long walk to Freedom - Excellent film and I'm suprised this movie didn't get any nominations except for best song from U2.

Going to see The wolf of Wall street at the weekend

#1030806 - Mon Jan 20 2014 11:54 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

"Wishmaster" and "Wishmaster 2 - Evil Never Dies"
Both starring Andrew Divoff as the menacing and devious Djinn or Genie. These horror films do not contain much horrible gore but a lot of psychological horror in the way the djinn twists the wishes and in how he is finally defeated (twice). The extras reveal that Divoff achieved his gravely bass voice by eating jelly beans and letting the syrup coat his vocal cords. That something so evil sounding could come from something so sweet... It's quite an effect.

"Night Moves" - Gene Hackman, Jennifer Warren, Melanie Griffith, James Woods, Susan Clark
A good detective tale done in a fashion only attempted during the 70s (it seemed the entire movie was shot on 8mm home cameras). It has the first credited appearance by Griffith and one of the first major roles for Woods. An outstanding performance was delivered by Jennifer Warren, who appeared on TV for 99% of her career. I think she could have been a renowned film actress if she had devoted more of her thespian work beyond TV roles. As a detective film, I rewatched "The Big Sleep" (see below) and found that both weave a similar cloth of character exposition as a driving force to telling the tale. So. it measures up well to its ilk. It does hide some character motivation which keeps you wondering why is this part of the story? Edit to add: Jennifer Warren got to deliver this line when asked by Hackman why she was estranged from her father: "He was the kind of man that blew his nose with his fingers."

A rewatch of "Source Code" to see Michelle Monaghan again and compare it to "Gone Baby Gone". Definitely not a waste of time as she was excellent in both. The rewatch also affirmed that "Source Code" is one of the most unique and great films of the past few decades.

A rewatch of "The Big Sleep" (1978) - Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles, Richard Boone, Candy Clark, Joan Collins, Edward Fox, James Stewart
Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe never fails to deliver a complicated tale of human character and how we interact with each other. Director Michael Winner brought out the character's motivations in this one. I wondered about the title and was satisfied by the explain done over the closing scenes of just what the big sleep meant to Marlowe.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jan 22 2014 12:47 AM)

#1030822 - Mon Jan 20 2014 01:53 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

I rewatched "Silkwood," the 1983 biopic. The depiction of the working-class life and its various humiliations and uncertainties remains vivid and enthralling, I thought. And of course Meryl Streep was amazing. Cher did herself a lot of credit, too.

Page 14 of 21 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong