Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 15 of 25 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#1031215 - Wed Jan 22 2014 10:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Coriolanus Offline
Participant

Loc: Auckland NZ
Just finished rewatching the extended versions of the Millennium trilogy. Powerful stuff, and if anything even more gripping the second time around.
So much better than Fincher's pointless remake of the first part.

#1031455 - Fri Jan 24 2014 03:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Africa Screams"
Tremendous cast: Abbott and Costello; Clyde Beatty - the famous lion tamer; Frank Buck - the famous wild animal capturer; Shemp Howard opposite Joe Besser - two members of different iterations of the Three Stooges and playing opposite each other for the only time; Brother boxers turned actors: Max and Buddy Baer; and the lovely Hillary Brooke who would, along with Joe Besser, form the central supporting cast of the Abbott and Costello TV show. I don't know who played the gorilla but I learned that the ape was to be female and attracted to Costello but the Breen Office for monitoring morality in the performing arts vetoed the idea as it hinted (incorrectly according to the producers) at bestiality. So the movie is actually funnier with the gorilla being a baby male. And it's Africa so there's plenty of raw diamonds to fill the screen. Hmmm, maybe that's what I liked so much about it?

Edited by mehaul (Fri Jan 24 2014 02:28 PM)

#1031673 - Sat Jan 25 2014 05:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Cemetery Junction", because of another thread here.

Nothing new in the storyline - pretty basic coming of age flick. But it's well done and entertaining, with a lot of great little bits. And the music is outstanding.

#1031854 - Mon Jan 27 2014 12:57 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"American Hustle". Well, I certainly enjoyed it. Great performances, with Jennifer Laurence a standout. There's been a lot of criticism about it being not too tightly plotted, and that's true, it isn't. But man, it's got style.

#1031857 - Mon Jan 27 2014 01:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

And I have to add, it was wonderful to watch a movie with no CGI. Half the movies out there look more like video games than movies, these days.

#1031982 - Tue Jan 28 2014 01:11 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
The Invisible Woman - a very nicely acted film and a fine representation of the repression and male domination of Victorian society. Beautifully written, its a bit sombre and not very cheery but enjoyable nonetheless. Would recommend, although if you are a big fan of Charles Dickens as a man, be prepared to have your faith tested.

#1032022 - Tue Jan 28 2014 07:39 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Wishmaster 3" and "Wishmaster 4" Both good fits to the developed legend. Now to a really good film:

"The Piano"
with Holly Hunter, Harvey Keitel, Sam Neill and Anna Paquin
Man buys wife from the other side of the world to help him develop his holdings in a new New Zealand economy. She arrives at an empty beach. Days later he shows up with men to carry her things to his home. Problem is she has a piano and there aren't enough men to carry it too. It is left on the beach. One man notes how broken hearted it makes her and does his best to make her happy and gets the piano saved. The rest would be spoiler if I told it. Boy what salesmen they were that sold moving to New Zealand to the Europeans. So much mud and lack of any facilities (I mentioned they dropped her off at a beach and not a dock, didn't I?) No roads, not many pack animals (they treated the Maori as that requirement) plank walkways, constant drizzle, in other words the definition of misery. Wonderful acting, some nudity and simulated(?) copulation.

#1032052 - Tue Jan 28 2014 02:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
Watched "There will be blood" on netflix - a good film, but quite long, and ultimately depressing. It's based on the novel "Oil' by Upton Sinclair, which might have been a better title for the film. The current one doesn't really fit well IMO.

#1032218 - Wed Jan 29 2014 02:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

The other night I watched Lifetime's new original movie "Lizzie Borden Took an Ax"--I'd been very impressed by the 1975 version of the story, which starred Elizabeth Montgomery and had a marvelous musical score.

As if to erase that memory, this new version (starring Christina Ricci in fine scenery-chewing form) had a VERY-2013 rock/rap score. Very discordant!

I would still recommend the 1975 version enthusiastically. Unlike the new one, it adhered to the historical record fairly well (including dialogue taken from court proceedings and other sources).

#1032955 - Tue Feb 04 2014 08:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Boys on the Side"

Nice chick flick tear jerker. Great soundtrack.

#1033274 - Fri Feb 07 2014 12:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"

This has nothing to do with the Toronto Mayor! It is a well delivered tale from a perspective seldom used (that of a minor character in the shadow of a Goliath). It is told from the viewpoint of the former gang member that cut down Jesse James. It has wonderful roles played by Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck and Sam Rockwell.

#1033500 - Sat Feb 08 2014 12:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Silkwood" - just one of those movies I should have seen years ago but never got around to.

#1033616 - Sun Feb 09 2014 02:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
The Lego Movie - a very enjoyable 90 mins. It has quite sophisticated humour for a kids film but there was something for everyone in the family to enjoy, including an annoyingly memorable theme song. Highly recommended for anyone with kids (and anyone without too).

#1033627 - Sun Feb 09 2014 03:02 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I'm thinking of seeing it - it's getting great reviews.

#1033704 - Sun Feb 09 2014 11:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

My weekend viewing was without a negative review.

"Event Horizon" - Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill, Kathleen Quinlan, Joely Richardson Sean Pertwee - Worth the watch just for the surreal visual effects (similar to but better than "The Sphere") It might be a tad gory for some.

"Fantastic Voyage" - Stephen Boyd, Raquel Welch, Edmond O'Brien, Donald Pleasence, Arthur O'Connell - One of the first big budget Sci-Fi flicks - Like the one above, well worth watching for the not-so-hokey visual effects.

"Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" - Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall, Sacha Baron Cohen - After guessing at so many questions here about this film, I finally watched it. And though there was more blood shown than the gory "Event Horizon", it seemed more justified in the spilling of it. Musta been the great singing turned in by Depp and Bonham Carter. I plan now to get and view the earlier productions of this work of art. Edit: error on the blood volume, I'd forgotten about the tankful of it that explodes in "EH".

Edited by mehaul (Sun Feb 09 2014 11:34 PM)

#1034189 - Wed Feb 12 2014 07:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Flawless" with Robert de Niro and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Homophobic ex-cop de Niro, recovering from a stroke, takes singing lessons from drag queen Hoffman, all of this complicated by bad guys searching for drug money. It all works out pretty much as you'd expect - the strength of this movie is the performances, and a handful of great lines.

#1034939 - Mon Feb 17 2014 06:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Labor Day" - meh, it wasn't awful. To me, this played more like a Hallmark TV movie than a, well, MOVIE movie. More about romance than about love. And, since I don't go to the movies much so don't know what Josh Brolin looks like without the goatee, I some parts really confusing - "who are these people?" I'm wondering, when we go to flashbacks of him as a younger man.

If you like movies made from, say, Nicholas Sparks books, you'll probably like this. If you like a bit of a harder edge, you probably won't.

#1034986 - Tue Feb 18 2014 05:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Dunno if you'd count it, but Leau and I watched "Valentine's Day", predictably, on Valentine's Day! It was better than I expected (saw Ashton Kutcher in the credits and feared the worst).
The last movie I actually went to a cinema to see was "Mamma Mia". Apart from the first 5 minutes, when I was thinking "What have I got myself in for here?", it was tremendous! But then, anything with Meryl Streep is a must-see.

#1035153 - Wed Feb 19 2014 03:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I think I've been turning in low quiz scores from eye strain. I've stressed my one by viewing the following (ask if you want to know about them)

"From Dusk till Dawn" - George Clooney, Juliette Lewis, Cheech Marin, Harvvey Keitel, Quentin Tarrantino, Salma Hayak
"A Gun, a Car, a Blonde" - Kay Lenz, Victor Love, Norma Maldonado and Paula Marshall
"Planet of the Apes" - Mark Wahlberg, Tim Roth, Helena Bonham Carter, Michael Clarke Duncan, Kris Kristofferson, Estella Warren, Paul Giamatti
"Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn" -Tom Green, Daniel Cudmore (amazon)
Panic in Year Zero / The Last Man on Earth (Midnite Movies Double Feature) Vincent Price, Franca Bettoia, Ray Miland, Frankie Avalon
The Last Temptation of Christ - Willem Dafoe, Harvey Keitel, Barbara Hershey, Harry Dean Stanton, David Bowie, Verna Bloom, Andre Gregory
I Am Number Four - Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant, Dianna Agron
The Apocalypse - Rhett Giles, Jill Stapley, Kristen Quintrall, Tom Nagel p/o 10 SciFi Pk
War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave" - C. Thomas Howell. Christopher Reid, Kim Little, Fred Griffith, Dashiell Howell p/o 10 SciFi Pk
Invasion of the Pod People - Erica Roby, Jessica Bork, Sarah Lieving, Danae Nason, Shaley Scott p/o 10 SciFi Pk
Monster - Sarah Lynch, Erin Sullivan p/o 10 SciFi Pk
For the Cause (also known as Final Encounter) - Dean Cain, Justin Whalin, Jodi Wise p/o 10 SciFi Pk
Convict 462 - Billy Drago, Shannon Sturges, Shae D'lyn, Charlie Spradling, Tawny Fere p/o 10 SciFi Pk
eXistenZ - Jude Law, Jennifer Jason Leigh p/o 10 SciFi Pk
Adrenalin: Fear the Rush - Christopher Lambert, Natasha Henstridge p/o 10 SciFi Pk
The Cyberstalking - Jean Louisa Kelly, Noah Huntley, Beatie Edney, Claudine Wilde, Daniel Caltagirone, Indra Ové p/o 10 SciFi Pk
Killer Deal - Rick Rossovich, Claudette Mink, Ellen Dubin, Peter MacNeill, Richard Eden p/o 10 SciFi Pk

And a truly great Sci-fantasy love story, a complete delight. Though not one of the greatest films, it surely should be seen by everyone to bear witness to the power of imagination both by the characters and the writer/Director"
"Upside Down" - Jim Sturgess, Kirsten Dunst, Timothy Spall, Dir: Juan Diego Solanas - A tale of lovers from near touching worlds that have opposite gravities, opposing social standards. opposing wealth and benefits, much as Romeo and Juliet, and their struggle to be together. I'm off to watch it again, damn the eye strain, it's that good.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Feb 19 2014 03:18 PM)

#1035229 - Thu Feb 20 2014 12:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

" Trainspotting" Another movie I'm surprised i've never seen before. Not for everyone, but i thought it a really outstanding look at addiction. Full of black humour and some very disturbing stuff.

#1035231 - Thu Feb 20 2014 01:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Wow, mehaul! You saw all those in...what length of time?

"eXisteZ" is a favorite of mine (from your list). I like the mind-bending genre.

I'll be on the lookout for "Upside Down" based on your recommendation.

#1035244 - Thu Feb 20 2014 03:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

About a week...
"Upside Down" has a happy ending for those who'd like R&J without the sadness. But in any case, I don't think there will be any disappointment.
"eXistenZ' is one of the better of those listed. I don't think Jude Law or Jennifer Jason Leigh would be involved in a bad product. "Convict 462" has a twisty ending if you can wait to get there.

"The Infinite Worlds of H. G. Wells" a 2001 four hour miniseries from the Hallmark Channel adapted from 6 of Wells' short stories. It is wonderful to be exposed to the shorter works of the great authors. Too much of our viewing has to be expanded (diluted) or crammed (chopped) to fill the 90 minute format most of our cinema needs require. Each of the run together episodes lasts about 40 minutes. The piece delivers two periods extremely well (no pun intended) - the 1890s and WW II London. The aging make up of the characters from the 1890s to the later age is amazing. I wish there was more of this to watch.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Feb 20 2014 04:16 PM)

#1035317 - Fri Feb 21 2014 08:35 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Dalgleish]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: Dalgleish
Dunno if you'd count it, but Leau and I watched "Valentine's Day", predictably, on Valentine's Day! It was better than I expected (saw Ashton Kutcher in the credits and feared the worst).
The last movie I actually went to a cinema to see was "Mamma Mia". Apart from the first 5 minutes, when I was thinking "What have I got myself in for here?", it was tremendous! But then, anything with Meryl Streep is a must-see.

All films count, whether at the cinema or watched from the comfort of the sofa. smile
I watched "Mamma Mia" against my better judgement - my daughter and I had a girls night in - and I was surprised that I enjoyed it; it's just a bit of good fun, and who wouldn't enjoy a singalong with Pierce Brosnan, I always say.

Originally Posted By: agony
" Trainspotting" Another movie I'm surprised i've never seen before. Not for everyone, but i thought it a really outstanding look at addiction. Full of black humour and some very disturbing stuff.

I agree totally with that review. It's a fantastic film, and I enjoyed it immensely - although I am not rushing to see it again!

The last film I watched was "Bernie" starring Jack Black - no wait! It's not Jack Black doing a character with a some slapstick in the background (which I feared it would be) - instead, it's a quirky and entrancing biopic/documentary style film about a real incident - a murder in a small town.

I think it's subtle, charming, and thought-provoking, and also funny! Shirley MacLaine co-stars, and both she and Black are flawless, but the townspeople (who are playing themselves) are the real stars of the film.

See it if you like quirky. smile

#1035348 - Fri Feb 21 2014 01:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Professer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln<br>England UK      ...
The Fabulous 12 years a slave a very good film AND HOPEFULLY a bucket load r oscars coming it's way. followed that by the Butler another film that i found entertaining and a good story.

#1035581 - Sun Feb 23 2014 07:10 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Insanity_In_Me Offline
Participant

Loc: India
Toy Story 3 and Krrish3(Bollywood!)

Page 15 of 25 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong