Rules
Terms of Use

Page 16 of 39 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38 39 >
Topic Options
#1036324 - Sat Mar 01 2014 08:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The Awful Truth" 1937. This is the way I like madcap comedy - perfect comedic timing, witty dialogue, and understated rather than over the top performances. Just delightful.

#1036362 - Sun Mar 02 2014 11:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"His Girl Friday" 1940. And this one is even better. The plot is ridiculous, of course, but the feel of the movie is remarkably modern - except that they don't do it as well these days.

#1036366 - Sun Mar 02 2014 01:12 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I bet you loved the hats that Rosalind Russell got to wear. As flamboyant as they were, they didn't distract from her take charge machinations. The 1988 film "Switching Channels" with Burt Reynolds, Kathleen Turner and Christopher Reeve is a fair update of the tale (less the hats of course).

Edited by mehaul (Sun Mar 02 2014 01:13 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1036368 - Sun Mar 02 2014 01:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

"The Impossible" came to cable, last night; devastating. It's a good thing I didn't see it in a theater as I'd have been a wreck--and I'm not usually "a crier."

#1036369 - Sun Mar 02 2014 01:41 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Yes, I loved her clothes in this. Irene Dunne has wonderful hats in "The Awful Truth", too, though they are much less practical and hardworking than Rosalind Russell's.

#1036539 - Mon Mar 03 2014 07:47 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Topper" 1937. Well, this one did not seem remarkably modern at all - can't imagine a movie like this being made now. A really quite charming performance from Roland Young, but the whole thing doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense.

#1036671 - Tue Mar 04 2014 04:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" - very good film, but I really hated the last five minutes... Watching it, you think "They can't really be going there, can they?"

Edited by ladymacb29 (Tue Mar 04 2014 04:42 PM)

Editor for Television Category

#1037433 - Mon Mar 10 2014 08:04 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Chavs, thanks for recommending "Bernie" - I could see some people not liking it much, but I loved it.

I live in a very small town, and even though it's set in Texas and I live in Canada, man does it ring true....

#1037473 - Tue Mar 11 2014 08:18 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
Bernie has recently tried a maneuver to get himself out of prison. I'm not sure the resolution, such as if it was dismissed yet, but you should find something on either KLTV or KETK local stations in that area.

Last movie I watched was

High School High ... with Jon Lovitz, and the beautiful Tia Carrere who blew me away in this movie... it's one of the joking sorts of movies like the Naked Gun series and I think it was made by the same guys. I love that brand of comedy. I have now seen the movie three times.

#1037517 - Tue Mar 11 2014 11:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Texas USA
I also watched Pet Sematary again a couple weeks ago.

#1037633 - Wed Mar 12 2014 08:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I don't watch many films, but recently I had occasion to see "Jerry McGuire" again with my students, many of whom are studying Business, as it had been recommended as a good way to show business ethics, or rather non ethics.
I had forgotten just how good it is. Multi-faceted I suppose you would call it as there are enough subplots to please everyone. I had forgotten the great performances from the supporters, as well as from Cruise himself and the terrific direction of, for instance, the little boy. I think it is one to be re-seen.

#1038055 - Sat Mar 15 2014 05:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Mostly enjoyable diversions:

Gabriel - Andy Whitfield, Dwaine Stevenson, Samantha Noble, Michael Piccirilli, Jack Campbell - Tale of angels battling in Purgatory done in graphic novel noir

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street(1936)- Tod Slaughter, Eve Lister, Bruce Seton, Davina Craig, D.J. Williams- The B&W film the musical was based on. A slightly different story.

Twelve O'Clock High - Gregory Peck, Hugh Marlowe, Gary Merrill, Millard Mitchell, Dean Jagger, Robert Arthur - WWII examination of leadership of the bombers of the US Air corps in Europe

Run Silent, Run Deep - Burt Lancaster, Clark Gable, Jack Warden, Don Rickles - WWII Pacific submarine tension

Beachhead - Frank Lovejoy, Tony Curtis, Mary Murphy - Unusual tale of Pacific Island marine infiltrators

Beach Red - Cornell Wilde, Rip Torn - different ilk of Pacific Island invasion. Directed by Wilde, using interesting cut-aways to the thought processes of each of the combatants at critical and non-critical times. (That's the drawback on this one, why do that cut then? Just to establish the story telling technique even if it's disruptive? Another oddity is the Spanish art and music of the title section. Great art, but why Spanish? Did it tie to the Philippines?

Under the Red Robe - Conrad Veidt, Annabella, Raymond Massey - I never thought of Richelieu as a warm person but the early days of Hollywood and the ratings people required a warm side to be shown, I guess.

Magnolia - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jeremy Blackman, Tom Cruise - apart from seeing P S Hoffman handling narcotics, a macabre thrill I admit, not much to see here, not even the torrent of frogs from the sky.

Ghosts of Mars - Ice Cube, Natasha Henstridge, Jason Statham, Pam Grier - Successful as a re-run on the SciFi Channel, but seeing it more than twice is too much.

Eyes Wide Shut -(R Rated Edition)- Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, Todd Field and Sydney Pollack - I think T.C. Broke Stanley Kubrick putting this one together. He admits in a bonus interview of haranguing the director for four years to make this (his last) film.

The Parallax View - Warren Beatty, Hume Cronin - an unexpected tragedy and well done. Worth the time to watch it twice.

The Fox and the Hound - Mickey Rooney, Kurt Russell, Pearl Bailey, Jack Albertson, Sandy Duncan. Okay I've seen it now. Can't see why there's even one FT question about it!

The Searchers - John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Vera Miles, Ward Bond, Natalie Wood, Lana Wood, Ken Curtis, Patrick Wayne - The voice talent of Ken Curtis stands out if you listen for it. He was originally a singing cowboy, a good one! There's Arizona's Monument Valley; Natalie and Lana Wood together; John and Patrick Wayne together; and, Olive Carey and Harry Carey, Jr.,(in one of his few screen appearances - he is one of US's most famous baseball/sports announcers) The story fails only in not pacing the reality of the chase to the time changes in the film (six real years seems like only a couple of weeks have passed.

Father Knows Best - (early episode collection) - Robert Young, Jane Wyatt, Elinor Donahue, Billy Gray, Lauren Chapin - one of US's most successful early TV SitComs. Ran for decades as re-runs.

AND
One of the best films I've watched in weeks:
The Owl and the Pussycat - Barbra Streisand, George Segal, Robert Klein, and 17 yr old Marilyn Chambers credited as Evelyn Lang - Two diametrically opposite characters get themselves thrust together and a hilarious duologue ensues. You'll love the bit about the guy that rolls hard boiled eggs down the hallway. The back and forths are delivered at machine gun pace. It is a love story about two people who aren't looking finally spot the real thing. The music is done by Blood, Sweat and Tears! Wonderful!

Edited by mehaul (Sun Mar 16 2014 12:54 AM)

#1038072 - Sat Mar 15 2014 11:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Monument Men. Not wonderful, but not bad. A couple of great moments, for sure.

#1038552 - Thu Mar 20 2014 11:13 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Owl and the Pussycat" has put me on the HOV lane of the good movie highway I think.

"Being John Malkovich" - John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener, John Malkovich - A great Psy-Fi flick. What does being mean? Are you you or are you the reflection of people around or within you? You cannot accuse this film as being a copy of anything that came before it!

"Executive Action" - Deanna Darrin, James MacColl, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Will Geer - Possibly the first Conspiracy film about the Kennedy assassination. Lots of vintage footage of Kennedy from the period and not just the clips we all know like his Inaugural speech. Clips of L H Oswald too that haven't been seen often. The cited historical facts are true. Was the photo of Oswald holstered, holding his rifle and a newspaper one of the first applications of 'photoshopping'?

"Klute" - Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland - I'm going to copy material from Wikipedia for this blurb: "Klute was the first installment of what informally came to be known as Pakula's 'paranoia trilogy'. The other two films in the trilogy are The Parallax View (1974) and All The President's Men (1976)." ... Like my-recently-watched "Parallax View", some effective character building goes on before we're even aware of the type of crime that's going on here. A wonderful bit of acting, production design, dialog, suspense, oh so well done that if it were presented in black and white, you'd come away swearing it's the greatest film noir ever made. Even though its part of the 'trilogy' the individual films need not be viewed in a specific order. I must acquire a copy of "All The President's Men" for a re-watch.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Mar 20 2014 11:16 AM)

#1038895 - Sat Mar 22 2014 10:38 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Yup, in the midst of a good flick run fo shur!

"(500) Days of Summer" - Zooey Deschanel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Clark Gregg, Minka Kelly, Matthew Gray Gubler, Rachel Boston - There is love, there are break-ups, and then there are the ways you remember relationships after they've broken up. Speaking from personal experience, the reality of the relationship is definitely thought more correct during it and less correct with so many flaws remembered after the break-up, raising lots of self doubt. And then all those demoralizing thoughts can suddenly disappear if...
Well, this movie develops the male character through the start and run of the relationship and flashes back after it's over to events that make him feel worse and worse and loving her more than he ever really did when they were together. The film runs as if it will be a tragedy all the way through but it does have a happy ending, or does it?
Enough of the story - it has Zooey Deschannel, possibly the prettiest woman to appear on the silver since Elizabeth Taylor and yet she always seems so humble. I like that.
(500) Days of Summer, catch it if you can.

#1039010 - Mon Mar 24 2014 01:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I waited fifteen years to see this one. Why? I don't know. Shame on me.

"American Beauty" - Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch, Wes Bentley, Mena Suvari, Chris Cooper - A tragedy. Big Oscar winner in 1999. I was impressed with the cinematography. The sound track exactly typifies the sounds which appeal to a midlife crisis for a fifty year old of the time (I speak from experience since I now am re-hearing all those albums). We see the juxtaposition of aged Hippies and the life examples they set for their children to witness. The straying from the hippy revolution path is highly expressed by obvious contrast. That's it, the character contrasts are near overwhelming in starkness. American Beauty is a variety of rose and a great statement through this film of what our abundant opportunities can challenge us and present us with some appreciation for life though it ends in death. As always.

Eddition: It made me seek out and purchase the Annie Lennox album "Medusa" to hear her cover of Neil Young's "Don't Let It Bring You Down". Even though most of the other songs are on her Concert "Live in Central Park" CD/DVD which I already have. I love her take on Young and its connection to the touchingly sensitive moment it is part of in the film.

And: After viewing a friend's rose image on facebook I realized the cut stem of an American Beauty rose is a standing dead bit of beauty, it just doesn't know it's dead yet. And that explains the voice over of Lester Burnham at the beginning of the movie. Even though he exhibits beauty through the film... everything has already happened that will bring about his demise.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Mar 24 2014 03:51 AM)

#1039032 - Mon Mar 24 2014 08:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Great review, mehaul.

#1039034 - Mon Mar 24 2014 08:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Attack the Block (2011). A lightweight but funny and enjoyable British 'horror' film in the 'comedy alien' genre like Shaun of the Dead (Nick Frost is in both of these).

#1039078 - Mon Mar 24 2014 04:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: dsimpy]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
I watched "Hyde Park on Hudson" last night and was pretty disappointed. The previews made it to be more about the actual visit and not FDR's relationship with a fifth cousin when in reality the movie was the opposite. And the movie really had no plot, no time wondering 'what's going to happen?' or anything o it was very anti-climactic. I wish they'd just done a movie about the visit and that's it.

Editor for Television Category

#1039091 - Mon Mar 24 2014 05:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Thank you, agony. I don't think anyone who sees Mena Suvari lying in a bed of red rose petals will ever forget the image. It is very much akin to Botticelli's "The Birth of Venus". The floating rose petals are like cherub angels connecting the viewer to the woman by their movement, drawing you in to be closer to her. Absolutely mesmerizing. And then when her closed fist slowly opens into a sort of wave acknowledging the viewer, the hook is set, forever snagging the visage to our memories.

Edit: I found out that the hand wave by Mena S wasn't a fist opening but a fist closure that they ran the film backwards on in the final movie cut.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Apr 07 2014 11:00 AM)

#1039097 - Mon Mar 24 2014 07:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
alexis722 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Connecticut USA
I cried like a baby after watching that - kept hoping for a disneyesque ending. cry
Talking about "The boy in the striped pajamas"

Edited by alexis722 (Mon Mar 24 2014 07:11 PM)

#1039791 - Sat Mar 29 2014 12:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

mehaul, of your last batch of movies (most of which I've seen at one time or another), "The Parallax View" is the one that stays with me most. The film's depiction of the ease with which lonely, confused people can be manipulated, is convincing--and chilling.

dsimpy: I'll have to look for "Attack the Block," given that I adore "Shaun of the Dead"!

#1040618 - Fri Apr 04 2014 10:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

The 1962 version of "Cape Fear".

This is interesting to me, as I read the book the films (both versions) were based on well before I saw either. In some ways the later version was more true to the sense of sexual menace in the book, but on the whole it's not as good a movie. What I really wish is that they could have made a film version in 1962 that was really true to the book - if they could have done it without the censorship of the time. Even as is, it's a pretty good movie.

Robert Mitchum's performance here is outstanding.

#1040810 - Mon Apr 07 2014 08:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Another batch of movies. all good, some better that others but all worth watching and one that brought me back here to advertise as I think it is an excellent bit of cinematography that has gone unheralded.

My Blue Heaven - Betty Grable, Dan Dailey, David Wayne, Jane Wyatt, Mitzi Gaynor - An investigation about adoption from 1950, when there were many war orphans available. There grew a bureaucracy to manage the 'problem'. The movie also has a scene central to the title about a TV skit put on to reflect the popularity of "South Pacific", the Broadway musical. Guess who acts as the stage girl to introduce the scene? Mitzi herself almost a decade before she got to star in the film version. There is also a trivia tidbit in that Elinor Donahue plays a minor role as a fan who approaches the main cast which includes Jane Wyatt who would later, on TV, play Elinor's mother in "Father Knows Best" in four years.

Oblivion - Tom Cruise, Olga Kurylenko, Morgan Freeman, Andrea Riseborough, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Melissa Leo - Another great SciFi genre/Cruise collaboration. The graphics are tremendous. The story is a unique angle on cloning and sense of self to the ones cloned.

Dredd - Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Wood Harris, Lena Headey - A 3D revisit to the Stallone Character. He played it comically. This version is like the Dark Knight version of Batman compared to Stallone's Adam West version of the batster.

Total Recall - Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Jessica Biel, Bryan Cranston, Bokeem Woodbine - Another remake/update. Colin is much more identifiable with than Arnold. I like that it takes place all on Earth; they have a transportation system that goes through the Earth and trips anywhere in that system to any other place all take 17 minutes (science fact!); but I wonder why the remaining habitable areas on Earth in this future happen to be Britain and Australia? Box office maybe? The sets are stunning, think "Minority Report and do it ten times more interesting.

Ed Wood - Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Sarah Jessica Parker, Patricia Arquette, Bill Murray, Jeffrey Jones, Lisa Marie - Funny, funny serious, funny and serious too. You'll learn some of the dark side of a great actor, Bela Lugosi. Hide your angora sweaters after this one, ladies.

Inception - Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page, Tom Hardy, Tom Berenger, Marion Cotillard, Pete Postlethwaite, Michael Caine - I said some were better than others. This is an other. why do so many new movies use blue tones to the film processing? I quickly lost any mind of it after seeing the next one:

Herald trumpets taa taa dah
Across the Universe - Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson, Dana Fuchs, Martin Luther McCoy, T V Carpio - I've already gone and taken the five quizzes here about this movie. Two by Skunkee, the sole remaining author that visits (Nice job m'lady). 34 Beatles songs, sung by new stars, stripped of the music and then the music rebuilt around those voices and situations of a woven story put together by Julie Taymor (of "Titus" fame). McCartney and Starr both approved the production. Taymor has I think put together the first juke Box musical on film with this one, leading the way for "Momma Mia". I prefer the Beatles' tunes over Abba, sorry. There are cameo music contributions by Joe Cocker, Bono, Jeff Beck and a hilarious number by Eddie Izzard. Some parts that reflect personal experiences: Is there anybody gonna listen to my story all about the girl who came to stay (in my Life, I've loved them all). Or Revolution where I swear that Lucy calls Jude Jim (the actor's name)twice but the number, recorded live was too good to redo (Looping indicated Julie?). It all touches on my experiences of education and social awareness and the draft and war that I had in those years (I possessed a blue denim worker's shirt with a red clenched fist silk screened on the back in my SDS days) and then I was lotteried with a low draft number and went through the induction process as part of enlisting.. Think "Hair", what it tried to say, and understand that "Across the Universe" accomplishes getting the message out way late but way better. Thank you and your crew Julie.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Apr 07 2014 08:49 AM)

#1041176 - Thu Apr 10 2014 05:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Gravity and Philomena for me.
The first, apart from the special effects, had me bored to tears.
The second was pretty good, but my gripe is that it's a rehash of a story we've heard/read/seen before. The shock-factor just isn't there anymore.

Page 16 of 39 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 38 39 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong