Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#1046209 - Fri May 16 2014 02:57 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Bells are Ringing" - Dean Martin, Judy Holliday. Silly plot, the music isn't all that good, but loads of fun anyway, mostly due to Judy Holliday. Jean Stapleton (Edith Bunker) is also great.

#1046277 - Sat May 17 2014 01:02 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Enough Said" with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini. Nice rom-com for grownups. Really enjoyed it, especially for the way she allows herself to look older.

#1046464 - Mon May 19 2014 07:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Monster" The true life story of Aileen Wuornos, one of the very few female serial killers. Harrowing, intense - an incredibly difficult film to watch, but what's art for, after all?

#1046483 - Mon May 19 2014 11:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
12 Years a Slave : a well-made, thought-provoking film which I enjoyed, though found it dragged a bit here and there.

#1046938 - Thu May 22 2014 06:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Transamerica" - A road trip with a bit of a difference. Very enjoyable, very honest.

#1047024 - Fri May 23 2014 06:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Mud" - this is one that I didn't really connect with. None of the characters made much sense to me.

There was also something that really bothers me in films, although I know it shouldn't - the time of day often didn't connect with how long things took. That is - the sun would be rising, and five minutes later in movie time, it would be high in the sky. Or it would be going down, and then an hour later in movie time it still wouldn't be dark yet. Especially in a movie like this one, where there is a lot of attention given to the sky, that just jolts me out of the moment.

#1047025 - Fri May 23 2014 07:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Illinois USA
"Sound City" - A well made documentary about Sound City studios in Los Angeles. This was made by Dave Grohl, guitarist of the Foo Fighters and former drummer for Nirvana. Amazing the amount of hit records that were made in this place. Countless Gold and Platinum albums by a wide range of bands. "Rummors" by Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, "Nevermind" from Nirvana, Metallica, Neil Young's "After the Goldrush" was produced there. Plus a whole bunch of other genres of late 60s and early 70s music. Apparently the secret of the great sound that the engineers could achieve was the custom analog Neve console with one of a kind tubes and other electronic gizmos.

I'd recommend this film for any serious fans of great classic rock music. And if you happen to be interested in the process of sound recording, it's an inside look at the music scene in southern California.

#1048777 - Fri Jun 13 2014 08:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Christopher and his Kind" .... a sort of less fictional "Cabaret" - Christopher Isherwood's memoir written 40 years after his Berlin stories on which "Cabaret" was based.

I enjoyed this immensely, and since I see from the reviews that it's not as good as the book it was based on, I intend to read the book as soon as I can. Some great performances here, especially Lindsay Duncan as Isherwood's horrible mother, Perry Millward as his brother, and Imogene Poots as Jean Ross, the Sally Bowles character.

#1048844 - Sat Jun 14 2014 04:19 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: agony
"Monster" The true life story of Aileen Wuornos, one of the very few female serial killers. Harrowing, intense - an incredibly difficult film to watch, but what's art for, after all?

A great, great film, only made awful by being a true story. Nick Broomfield made a documentary about Aileen. Very much worth watching, but especially so if you have seen the film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364930/

Edited by Chavs (Sat Jun 14 2014 04:20 PM)

#1048945 - Sun Jun 15 2014 11:50 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Dorothyofoz Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: Chavs

A great, great film, only made awful by being a true story. Nick Broomfield made a documentary about Aileen. Very much worth watching, but especially so if you have seen the film. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364930/

I really liked Monster and the documentaries about Aileen. She had a really rough life, not that it excuses her actions.

#1049009 - Sun Jun 15 2014 08:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Thanks for that - I'll take a look at the documentary. I was blown away by "Monster" - in part because I have known women who Aileen reminded me of. They weren't killers, obviously - at least I sure hope not - but that reckless instability is very familiar from some strippers and sex workers I've known, survivors of terrible childhoods.

#1049047 - Mon Jun 16 2014 10:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

The film I just watched is related to the background of "Monster". It is a mid 90s look at rape on college campuses. It details the struggle of a young woman who got drunk at a fraternity party where free sex was known to occur. But she didn't want the sex part, just the party part. The film investigates many of the associated dilemmas. It started as a college theater presentation then was so successful there it picked up major theater distribution but no big time promotion so it never picked up accolades I think should have come its way. It had some names associated with it too: Danny Quinn, Anthony's son; Allison Smith, the original Broadway "Annie" and Jennie, a daughter on TV's "Kate and Allie"; Keith Coogan, Jackie Coogan's grandson; Holly Marie Combs of "Charmed" fame; and, Joe Flanigan, the lead male role on "Stargate - Atlantis".

Edit: I suppose I could reveal the film's title if others would like to check it out:
"A Reason to Believe"

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jun 18 2014 05:06 AM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1049275 - Wed Jun 18 2014 04:05 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
I might have seen that one actually - or something very, very similar.

It sounds quite a different background to Aileen's story which is a complex background of confusion, neglect, possibly abuse, and a damaged person with no one to turn to. The prostitution part of the story, and various alleged rapes, are not really the main crux. The difficulty for Aileen was, I think, that there was so much involved that no one knew what part of it to deal with, and so she was allowed to roam freely amongst the underbelly of society, and left to find her own solutions, killing being one. Thinking of her as a sex worker just added to the confusion in that she should have been met with compassion and help back when it all began, and treated as an abused woman,but prostitution seems to imply some sort of choice, and lesser rights.

#1049276 - Wed Jun 18 2014 05:05 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

After the central character of "A Reason..." was raped she had resources to fall back on since she was living in a college community which was vibrant with Women's Rights Advocates. Wournos had no safety net. Therein lies a difference in the two tales. Some of the characterizations of Charlotte in "A Reason..." before she was rescued paralleled the emotions Wournos must have gone through to her tragic ending following her rape.

I have met many women here in Florida who could fit into Aileen's shoes and run a marathon. And I have also met many women who have triumphed over personal adversity.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1050188 - Tue Jun 24 2014 03:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Gravity. It was boring and made me cry unneccessarily.

Editor for Television Category

#1050251 - Wed Jun 25 2014 09:36 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Illinois USA
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to record that one when it came on cable later this summer. Still might watch it for the visual effects though.

#1050259 - Wed Jun 25 2014 10:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

From everyone I know who saw it, the visual effects are the only reason to watch. So don't know if it would be worth it on a small screen.

#1050277 - Wed Jun 25 2014 04:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
From everyone I know who saw it, the visual effects are the only reason to watch. So don't know if it would be worth it on a small screen.

We watched it on my husband's projector and the effects were ok - but nothing more than you could get out of a good sci-fi movie. (I didn't see it in 3D though, so that might be worth it.)

Editor for Television Category

#1050638 - Sat Jun 28 2014 09:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"No Way to Treat a Lady" 1968.

Nice serial killer thriller based on one of William Goldman's early novels. Rod Steiger is obviously having a ball playing the plum role of the bad guy, while George Segal does a great job as the cop. This movie is very much of its period - they just don't make serial killer movies like this anymore, and it's too bad. Movie cops these days are hardly ever nice Jewish boys, either.

I think I'm going to have to re read the book - as I remember it, it's pretty good, too.

#1050696 - Sun Jun 29 2014 07:14 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
TriviaFan22 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Texas USA
Murder at 1600

with Wesley Snipes, Diane Lane, and Dennis Miller

2.3/5

#1050784 - Sun Jun 29 2014 03:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Just watched both of Nick Broomfield's documentaries on Aileen Wuornos. Lord what a mess, what a wasted used and abused life.....

#1050932 - Mon Jun 30 2014 05:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Heaven Can Wait"

Meh, it's OK. Never really understood the appeal of those Warren Beatty movies from the seventies.

#1051134 - Wed Jul 02 2014 10:12 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
The last two movies I watched were DVDs from Netflix, two differernt takes on painting. The first was Albert Lewin's 1945 original film of Wilde's "Picture of Dorian Gray" (you remember Ivan Albright's portrait of Hurd Hatfield, don't you?). The second was "Tim's Vermeer", Penn and Teller's look at inventor Tim Jenison's attempt to duplicate Vermeer's "Music Lesson" in order to discover how Vermeer imitated optical reality. I find it fascinating that one film used painting to explore moral concepts and the other the mechanics of painting.

Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere. G.K. Chesterton wink

tjoeb};>

Edited by tjoebigham (Wed Jul 02 2014 02:54 PM)

#1051483 - Fri Jul 04 2014 09:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Random Harvest" from 1942. Well, they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

Highly romantic, sentimental, implausible - but just so darn good. I defy anyone to watch this and not ache for these two people. Even though the story is wildly overblown, the film is full of small human moments that ring with pure truth. Just lovely.

#1051576 - Sat Jul 05 2014 11:05 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The V.I.P.s" 1963.

Intertwining plotlines as passengers are detained at an airport due to fog. Highlights are Maggie Smith as a secretary in love with her boss, Rod Taylor, and Margaret Rutherford as a delightfully scatty Duchess. And of course Richard Burton only has to walk on set and he's the focus of all eyes - lord that man had presence.

Page 18 of 20 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong