Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
#1051684 - Sun Jul 06 2014 12:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Watching "The V.I.P.s" got me in the mood for more of that style, so I'm starting with the original, 1932's "Grand Hotel".

This one is a little difficult for a modern audience, as styles of acting and storytelling have changed so much in the - my goodness! - 82 years since then. It was still the early days of talkies, and most of these actors had learned their craft in the days when they had to overact in order to get the message across. So, especially at the beginning, the performances seem ridiculously over wrought. Doesn't take long to get in the swing of things, though.

Greta Garbo is luminous, Joan Crawford is appealing, Lionel Barrymore is pathetic, Wallace Beery is villainous, and John Barrymore is a romantic flawed hero - what more do you need?

#1051685 - Sun Jul 06 2014 12:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I'm watching Free Willy on TV. It's gotta be at least 15 years since I've seen, closer to 20 probably. So far I'm enjoying it as much as I did when I was little, but I often have the tendency to pick apart movies I used to love, so we'll see!

#1051687 - Sun Jul 06 2014 12:38 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
Gravity. It was boring and made me cry unneccessarily.

I see that Gravity is premiering on HBO this next Saturday; I'm curious to see what all the fuss was about.

A couple of nights ago I watched a movie from 2000 that I'd missed seeing all these years: How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog, starring Kenneth Branagh and Robin Wright Penn. It was much better than the name would imply, and scenes from it have been coming to mind over the past days. Lots of great lines and funny moments.

#1051704 - Sun Jul 06 2014 07:02 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Gheelnory]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Illinois USA
Originally Posted By: Gheelnory
Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
Gravity. It was boring and made me cry unneccessarily.

I see that Gravity is premiering on HBO this next Saturday; I'm curious to see what all the fuss was about.

I'm going to watch it on HBO, just because I like most of the director's other films. I think it's Alfonso Cuaron, right?

#1051782 - Mon Jul 07 2014 12:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: DireWolf74]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: DireWolf74
I'm going to watch it on HBO, just because I like most of the director's other films. I think it's Alfonso Cuaron, right?

Yes; I thought his "Harry Potter" movie (the third in the series) was probably the best of the bunch. "Children of Men" was quite effective, too.

#1051797 - Mon Jul 07 2014 03:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Those are the ones that I was thinking of. His Potter film had a feeling of realism amid all that fantasy that was missing from the others. And I loved the long tracking shots he used in 'Children of Men' and the non-stop pacing of it. I've seen a few of his Spanish language films too. I heard so much buzz about 'Y tu mama, tambien' when it first came out, that I had to see what it was about.

Edited by DireWolf74 (Mon Jul 07 2014 04:53 PM)
Edit Reason: Congruence of punctuation

#1051938 - Tue Jul 08 2014 01:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: DireWolf74]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: DireWolf74
Those are the ones that I was thinking of. His Potter film had a feeling of realism amid all that fantasy that was missing from the others. And I loved the long tracking shots he used in 'Children of Men' and the non-stop pacing of it. I've seen a few of his Spanish language films too. I heard so much buzz about 'Y tu mama, tambien' when it first came out, that I had to see what it was about.

I keep meaning to find 'Y tu mama...' and watch it but haven't yet. I guess 'Pan's Labyrinth' might be one of the few Spanish-language films I've seen. Speaking of which (and the thread topic): This weekend I started watching a movie in which the star of 'Pan's Labyrinth,' Ivana Baquero, has a large role--'The New Daughter.' It's a Kevin Costner-starrer from 2009. I saw just the first 30 minutes and wasn't sure if it was worth seeing all the way through--has anyone seen it?

#1052000 - Tue Jul 08 2014 05:12 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Haven't seen that one. I know Alfonso Cuaron was a producer on 'Pan's Labyrinth' with Guillermo del Toro directing. That was a good one too. A nice little war allegory. 'Y tu mama, tambien' is worth seeing if you get a chance. It's a intimate film about a road trip and the strain put on two younger guy's friendship when this care free woman enters their lives. Don't know if Cuaron wrote it too, but it rings very true. I try to see a few Spanish-language films each year. It's a great way to maintain my Spanish comprehension abilities.

#1053449 - Wed Jul 16 2014 09:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Separate Tables" 1958

Another in the "Grand Hotel" genre, and a very good one. David Niven especially gives the performance of his career as the phoney major with the sexual secret (what exactly is he doing to those women in the dark theatres?) I honestly didn't even recognize Deborah Kerr until about halfway through the film - she completely takes on the part of the oppressed spinster daughter. It's rare for Burt Lancaster not to be my favourite actor in anything he's in, but in this case there is just so much that is good to choose from you hardly notice him. A perfect example of its genre.

#1053497 - Thu Jul 17 2014 04:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Fab review - I agree with every word of that. Fab film!

#1053499 - Thu Jul 17 2014 04:59 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

"We're the Millers"

A bit blah. It's a quirky comedy that's not really quirky enough and only somewhat funny. Smalltime drug dealer has to assemble a fake family to get himself out of debt. Very watchable with frequent moments that look like they are about to turn into a guffaw but only result in a chuckle. It veers towards National Lampoon style territory, with some cringy Bridesmaids style moments attempted. A few more laughs and I would have been very happy.

Jennifer Aniston plays a stripper and I wish that bit of it had been slightly more convincing, I think that set up may have let the rest down. I like Jennifer Aniston, she is super-excellent at being the character she usually plays with minor variations but it is so often the same character, and sometimes a film just needs a more wild and edgy actress. I loved her counterpart, played by Kathryn Hahn who, on the basis of this film, deserves a starring role of her own in one of these vehicles. The son, Kenny (Will Poulter), was a great character, very funny.

Lightweight, patchy, but amusing enough. Worth watching when you are in a giggling mood.

#1053530 - Thu Jul 17 2014 08:04 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've never seen a halfway convincing stripper in the movies.

#1053534 - Thu Jul 17 2014 08:30 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

You sound like an expert. laugh

No, they are always odd.

The Full Monty strippers perhaps?

#1053549 - Thu Jul 17 2014 09:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

"We're the Millers"

I watched that one too, and your review is spot on. It almost wants to be a dark comedy and a farce at the same time. If it wants to be a dark comedy then it has to be darker, if it wants to be a farce then it has to be funnier. No comment from me on Jennifer Aniston's stripper abilities. The son Kenny was hilarious.

Finally watched "Gravity" the other night. It was worth watching just for the stunning visuals. At only 1 hr 30 mins long, it doesn't take up alot of your time if you wanted to check it out.

#1053648 - Thu Jul 17 2014 07:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Ha, no not an expert, but I've known quite a few strippers and a couple of hookers over the course of my lifetime, and the only sex worker I've ever seen in the movies ring true is Charlize Theron in "Monster". Except for the killing people part.

#1053873 - Fri Jul 18 2014 07:38 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
varnish Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
We're the millers had enough funny moments in it to make a little above average,
With kenny doin a lot of the work to get it there.

#1054083 - Sat Jul 19 2014 05:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Sandpiper" 1965

More Dick and Liz, this time with Liz as a hippie painter and Burton as the headmaster of a church school. Mad passionate affair that can never last blah blah.

Best part of this was Charles Bronson as a sculptor. And it appears that I can watch Richard Burton in anything, no matter how bad.

#1054085 - Sat Jul 19 2014 06:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
varnish Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
"Ed Wood", 1994
This is a movie I can,(and have) watch multiple times. It's campy, a little over the top,
Just one of those movies that has something about it you can't quite describe.(Tim Burton made the right call filming it in black and white).
One of Depp's best performances, I can't see anyone else in that role. And Martin landau
very deserving of his award portraying bela legosi.

#1054103 - Sat Jul 19 2014 10:06 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Death Wish" 1974. Oh dear, I'll lose all my knee jerk liberal credentials by admitting this, but I thought this was a pretty good movie.

I've always liked Charles Bronson, and I've always liked Brian Garfield, the author of the book the film was based on. They did a good job of bringing the book to the screen, and I'd say this is one of Bronson's best performances - he's our hero here, even if it's hard to defend his actions.

It was nice to see a very young Jeff Goldblum as a bad guy, and an equally young Christopher Guest as a cop - this would have to be among the first films for each of them.

#1054423 - Mon Jul 21 2014 02:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Quote:
Except for the killing people part.
laugh Glad you clarified that.

"All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" - documentary

I may have listed this before, I watched this film/tv series a couple of years ago and found it so interesting. It is an exploration of..er..well, it's hard to explain..um..of how we are all operating under a strange distortion of reality, which comes from our human instinct to make sense of the world around us, I suppose, and our natural tendency to see patterns and solutions everywhere,um... I dont think I am doing this documentary any favours,lol! An exploration of now, of our quite odd insistence that we can make the world a stable place to be, and how we have used computers to fool ourselves that we are succeeding.

Or something. laugh

Look, you just have to watch it yourselves to see what I mean. One of the best attempts at raising questions about our current situation, that I've seen anyway, or that is how I remember it...

Made by Adam Curtis.

....And I've just found it again, so you can watch it online with me. http://vimeo.com/38724174 - part one

#1054852 - Thu Jul 24 2014 10:36 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

While slightly worried that I will be asked to leave this thread in shame, I have a confession to make:

I have never watched "The Godfather".

Until this week, that is. And now that I have: wow. Just wow. I am having to reshuffle my top ten favourite films of all time, one of them has to leave to make room for the new. I doubt there is anyone reading this thread that hasn't watched it but just in case: don't be a fool! Watch it, already, capiche?

Edited by Chavs (Thu Jul 24 2014 10:37 AM)

#1054862 - Thu Jul 24 2014 01:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
nmerr Offline
Participant

Loc: Salt Lake City Utah USA      
"How to Train Your Dragon." I missed it when it came out four years ago but my daughter has been encouraging me to watch it so we watched as a family. Very good movie on many levels. I'll definitely watch the sequel when it comes out on DVD.

#1054899 - Thu Jul 24 2014 02:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I'm suffering a case of 'can't write laziness'. Here's a copy and paste of what I've watched since the Charlie Chans (I'll happily expound on any if asked):

Mary Reilly - Linda Bassett, Julia Roberts, John Malkovich, Glenn Close, George Cole, Kathy Staff

The Usual Suspects - Gabriel Byrne, Stephen Baldwin, Chazz Palminteri, Kevin Pollak, Pete Postlethwaite, Kevin Spacey

Moby Dick - Gregory Peck, Richard Basehart, Leo Genn, Orson Welles

The Fall Of The Roman Empire - Alec Guinness, Sophia Loren, Stephen Boyd

Alice in Wonderland (1999) - Miranda Richardson,Martin Short,Whoopi Goldberg,Robbie Coltrane,Gene Wilder,George Wendt,Christopher Lloyd,Peter Ustinov

Fierce Creatures - John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis. Michael Palin, Kevin Kline

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Robert Romanus, Brian Backer, Phoebe Cates, Ray Walston

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen, Peter Stormare, Ingrid Bolsų Berdal

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Dominic Cooper, Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rufus Sewell, Marton Csokas

Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo - Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson, Robert Mitchum

Magic Trip - Stanley Tucci, Ken Kesey

Get Carter - Sylvester Stallone, Miranda Richardson, Rachael Leigh Cook, Alan Cumming, Mickey Rourke

Better Off Dead - John Cusack, David Ogden Stiers, Diane Franklin, Curtis Armstrong, Amanda Wyss

A Reason to Believe - Holly Marie Combs, Jay Underwood, Allison Smith, Danny Quinn

Yellow Submarine - George Dunning, John Clive

About Last Night... - Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, James Belushi, Elizabeth Perkins, George DiCenzo

Cherry 2000 - Melanie Griffith, David Andrews, Ben Johnson, Tim Thomerson, Brion James, Harry Carey Jr, Robert Z'Dar

The Munsters: Two-Movie Fright Fest - (Munster, Go Home! & The Munsters' Revenge) - Fred Gwynn, Yvonne Decarlo

A 5 installment Jimmy Stewart marathon:

The Naked Spur - James Stewart, Janet Leigh
The Far Country - James Stewart, Ruth Roman, Walter Brennan, Corinne Calvet, J Flippen, Henry Morgan
Bend in the River - James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Julia Adams, Rock Hudson, J Flippen, Henry Morgan, Steppin Fetchin
Night Passage - James Stewart, Audie Murphy, Dan Duryea, Diane Foster, J Flippen
Rare Breed - James Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith, Juliet Mills

Hidden Agenda - Kevin Dillon, Christopher Plummer, Andrea Roth, J.T. Walsh, Michael Wincott

Pleasantville - Tobey Maguire, Jeff Daniels, Joan Allen, William H. Macy, J.T. Walsh

Bukowski: Born Into This - Charles Bukowski

Georgia O'Keeffe - Joan Allen, Jeremy Irons, Ed Begley, Jr., Kathleen Chalfant, Linda Emond

Young Cassidy - Rod Taylor, Julie Christie, Michael Redgrave, Maggie Smith

The Exorcist - Linda Blair, Max von Sydow, Ellen Burstyn, Lee J Cobb

Planet Terror - Rose McGowan, Freddy Rodriguez, Josh Brolin, Marley Shelton, Jeff Fahey

Better of the bunch: Bukowski, Pleasantville, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Yellow Submarine, Magic Trip, Alice in Wonderland, The Usual Suspects and what the heck, throw in Georgia O'Keeffe just for the experience of knowing her better
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#1054930 - Thu Jul 24 2014 03:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I'll have to give "The Usual Suspects" another try - first time I just couldn't get into it and never finished it.

#1054931 - Thu Jul 24 2014 04:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
DireWolf74 Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: Chavs
While slightly worried that I will be asked to leave this thread in shame, I have a confession to make:

I have never watched "The Godfather".

Until this week, that is. And now that I have: wow. Just wow. I am having to reshuffle my top ten favourite films of all time, one of them has to leave to make room for the new. I doubt there is anyone reading this thread that hasn't watched it but just in case: don't be a fool! Watch it, already, capiche?

And what about "The Godfather Part 2"?

If you say that you haven't seen that one either, then you should be sleeping with the fishes. smile

Page 19 of 21 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong