Rules
Terms of Use

Page 26 of 53 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 52 53 >
Topic Options
#1089303 - Mon Mar 30 2015 04:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Hundred Foot Journey.

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood but it was a bit boring and predictable for me. I kinda figured out what was going to happen with all the characters when I was 1/4 of the way through...

Editor for Television Category

#1089315 - Mon Mar 30 2015 06:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"Rock'n'Rolla"

Now, this is more like the thing. Fun Guy Ritchie movie, enjoyed it a lot. I'm sure he took artistic chances in "Revolver" and it was maybe even a better movie, but it wasn't what I wanted. THIS is what I wanted.

#1089693 - Thu Apr 02 2015 01:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Painted Veil" 2006

Sentimental tear jerker, in the nicest possible way. It's based on a Somerset Maugham book, and does feel dated, even within its setting in the 1920s. But, again, in a nice way. Diana Rigg is still beautiful, somehow - she plays a French nun, if you can believe it.

And it's beautifully filmed, just gorgeous. You know how in Chinese paintings, the mountains have that very unlikely up and down shape to them? Well, it appears that's what they really look like - much of the movie was filmed on location in Quangxi province, and those mountains are in the backdrop of half the scenes.

#1090281 - Sun Apr 05 2015 10:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
beatrice1983 Offline
Participant

Loc: Germany

"The Hole" 2001

Haven't seen this one since probably 10 years, but I always liked the way the story unfolded.
It's a teen horror thriller, but one that has such a psychological input that you cannot really call it teen horror.

A very young Keira Knightly and a "heroic" Thora Birch star!

#1091069 - Sat Apr 11 2015 02:52 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Clearing my shelves, I've recently watched the unremarkable films (so I won't):
Killer Tomatoes Strike Back - Robin Abb, Tom Ashworth, John Astin
Displaced - Mark Strange, Malcom Hankey, Graham Brownsmith
Final Days of Planet Earth - Darryl Hannah
Diamond Zero (Icemaker) - Bronson Pinchot, Tippi Hedron
Unbreakable - Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson
Trancers - Helen Hunt, Michael Stefani, Tim Thomerson
Trancers 2: Return Of Jack Deth - Helen Hunt, Megan Ward, Tim Thomerson
Trancers 3: Deth Lives! - Helen Hunt, Megan Ward, Tim Thomerson
The Silancers - Jack Scalia, Terri Power
The Galaxy Railways, Vol. 1: Ahead Full! - Japan anime
The Galaxy Railways, Vol. 2: His Father's Son - Japan anime
The Galaxy Railways, Vol. 3: The Vastness Within - Japan anime

Lest you think I am wealthy by being able to acquire all these titles, I will reveal my secret. 90% of them I buy used and about half of those are old library copies. I expend usually from .01 to .99 for them and the re-distributer gets $4 for shipping and handling. So I see these in the comfort of my home for far less than the cost of going to a theater. I have been known to go directly to the library and borrow DVDs.

With the clutter out of the way I've run into three gems
"Singin' in the Rain"
"A Streetcar Named Desire"
"East of Eden"

All three were early 1950's products. Singin' came from Arthur Freed who'd swept the Oscars the year before for "An American in Paris" (also with Gene Kelly) so Singin' kinda got snubbed the next year - ahem, 5 went to Streetcar. Many now recognize it as being perhaps the greatest of the Dance/musicals that came from the Broadway to Hollywood route. It is good and Kelly drew out the best Donald O'Connor had to offer and trained the neophyte Reynolds enough that she could keep up with the two guys. The bonus commentary by Reynolds said Kelly had her practice until her feet bled and she couldn't continue the session. There is some contrivance to string the story together. Freed in the 20s had written lyrics to Nacio Herb Brown's music and by 1950 was a big MGM producer. He told Betty Comden and Adolph Green to put all his old songs into a musical. Since the songs were from the transition period of silent to talkies, they built the story around that idea. And that quote is right that is asked often here about Bacon and Eggs.

About all I can say about Streetcar is that it is a way better movie than "Citizen Kane". It examines human character better, the dialog is better, the set design is better and the cinematography is void of Welles' experimentation. It won Oscars for Best Actress (Vivien Leigh in a better performance than her Gone Windy one), both supporting role awards to Karl Malden and Kim Hunter, the Oscar for best actor that year went to Humphrey Bogart (hard to dispute) against an upcoming future star, Marlon Brando in his first leading role in a performance he spent the rest of his career trying to live down, His portrayal of Stanley Kowalski is one of the most virile acts ever filmed. That's about all I can say (ya right). The director was Elia Kazan who later directed "East of Eden", my next distraction.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Apr 11 2015 12:45 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1091071 - Sat Apr 11 2015 05:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Mehaul, all my movies come from the library - the life I lead simply could not exist without public libraries....

"Inside Daisy Clover" 1960

This is an odd one. There are some real problems - for example, it's set in the 1930s for no discernible reason, yet except for the cars, there is no real attempt to keep it in period. The music, clothing, hairstyles.... none of it reflecting the period, except now and then when someone must have remembered they were making a period piece. And 27 year old Natalie Wood is playing a 15 year old (and not terribly convincingly) - again for no real reason. One plot point hangs on her being so terribly young, but otherwise she could have been a much more believable 19 or 20 - you think they'd have found a way around it.

On the other hand, Christopher Plummer and Robert Redford both turn in fantastic performances - just fantastic. It's worth seeing just for those two - and Ruth Gorden doesn't hurt, either.

#1091282 - Sun Apr 12 2015 05:04 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Mehaul, was that your first time watching "Singin' in the Rain"? Great film! As Agony pointed out, O'Connor performing " Make 'em Laugh" is just sublime.

My last three films:

The Good

"Sunset Boulevard" -

Joe: "You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in silent pictures. You used to be big."
Norma: "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

Fabulous. Drama, more drama, then melodrama, then megamelodrama, all juxtaposed with film noir one liners and downbeatness, and authenticity dripping off every corner (Hedda Hopper and Buster Keaton are just two famous faces playing themselves -- I never knew that ("ready for my close-up") Cecil B. DeMille was actually in it! All the many photos on Norma's sideboard are real photos from Swanson's own career. Etc etc)...Lighting, cinematography, set, and costumes (by Edith Head), are all amazing. Billy Wilder is a genius.

I found Gloria Swanson so amazingly hammy/melodramatic that I didn't like it, and the whole film felt very oppressivs, but I couldn't decide if she was an awful actress or the best in the world because she was playing a melodramatic character so well. In the end, I decided that the film wanted me to feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic, so it was brilliant.

I can see why this film is one of the big classics. It is one of those films that leaves you comparing everything to it; I don't mean other films, I mean everyday events like shopping or having a row or running a bath -- everything I did for the next week seemed to be tinged with Sunset Boulevard.

The Bad

"Grey Gardens" documentary 1975

There's nothing bad about this glorious documentary, one of my favourites -- a must see! And I have seen it several times

But it is disturbing in that there are two women caught in a moment, stuck in a little hamster wheel, unable to manage life. They were once part of high society and now live in a decaying old house. And these two women are Jackie Kennedy Onassis's aunt and cousin, by the way. The film begins some time after the neighbours called the law in to declare the house a health hazard, and Jackie paid thousands to have the hoarded filth and mess (hundreds of old cat food cans, for example) removed. So this is them living in relative order. Edie the younger is quite a character!!

It is currently available on YouTube, I don't know for how long.
Maysles Bros. - Grey Gardens (1975): https://youtu.be/GP2KjNge1FY
And there was a film made of their story, also called "Grey Gardens" starring Drew Barrymore, which is a great thing to watch after you've seen the documentary.

(Edit: this is a rather bleak description of a very warm film. It is much more interesting and amusing than I mention here.)

"The whole place seemed to have been stricken with a kind of creeping paralysis - out of beat with the rest of the world, crumbling apart in slow motion" - Sunset Boulevard

The Ugly

"Blended" -Adam Sandler, Drew Barrymore

A comedy. Er...well, that's what it says on the blurb. Imagine "The Brady Bunch" was rewritten with a twist for the nineties, and then wasn't very good. If it wasn't for Drew Barrymore (love her!) it would probably be completely unwatchable, even with her it is barely watchable.

"Sometimes it's interesting to see just how bad bad writing can be. This promised to go the limit" - Sunset Boulevard

Why do I keep subjecting myself to Adam Sandler films? I think I have a mental illness.

Edited by Chavs (Sat Apr 18 2015 02:25 PM)

#1091303 - Sun Apr 12 2015 08:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, Chavs, the 1st time. I enjoyed the "Moses Supposes (If Moses had Toeses)" O'Connor-Kelly duet.

Just got hit with disappointment. I need to see DVD Bonus material for

"The Painted Veil"

Agony, the backdrops are tremendous in this tragic love story. Great film. Thanks for the notice of it. My copy is a recycle from the Middle County Public Library (where that is I'm not sure). There was some stutter to an early bit of the first act that a cleaning cleared up.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Apr 12 2015 08:54 AM)

#1091304 - Sun Apr 12 2015 08:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I've never seen "Sunset Boulevard" and for a very silly reason. The Carol Burnett spoofs from when I was a kid made it seem exactly the sort of thing I didn't want to have anything to do with.

Now my taste has changed since then, and my appreciation of something more difficult - I didn't like spicy food or black coffee back then either. But the ten year old's feeling of "this will be hard and boring and I won't like it" persists.

One of these days....

#1091872 - Thu Apr 16 2015 12:32 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I went and saw Chappie at the movies earlier this week. It was okay but pretty much the same as every "robot who can love" story .. but Hugh Jackman was a bonus. wink

#1092139 - Sat Apr 18 2015 08:36 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Undead Zombies, Zombies, undead and more Zombies and Walking undead and more Zombies, Zombies, Zombies

Resident Evil - #1/6 - Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez
Resident Evil - Apocalypse #2/6 - Milla Jovovich, Shaun Austin-Olsen
Resident Evil - Extinction #3/6 - Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter
Resident Evil - Afterlife #4/6 - Milla Jovovich, Wentworth Miller, Ali Larter
Resident Evil - Retribution #5/6 - Milla Jovovich and just about every actor that has been in the previous 4 editions

Did I mention Milla Jovovich is in this series of movies based on the Capcom Games?
Her husband, Paul W. S. Anderson, was the writer for all and director for 3. I hope the fortune this franchise has brought them doesn't put a halter on even more good stuff. There is scheduled to be a #6 to come out in November 2016. That means I have to practice my patience.
I think one of the films' feature involved with the ending practice of cliff hanging makes the mass viewing of them the way to go. It took me 3 days to watch each twice (once plus a commentary viewing) and enjoying the extra DVD features.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Apr 18 2015 08:39 AM)

#1092140 - Sat Apr 18 2015 08:51 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Oh oh, more zombies. These are really ugly without Milla around.

"Doom" - The Rock

Did I mention this has Zombies but no Milla?
Another Video game source effort, the final act has a great sequence of Point of View (POV) of a video game player who kills what seems like 100 Zombies in 2 minutes. Excellent technique for a brief bit. Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson has top billing here but the whole cast performs equal shares of the action. Some of them even become, er, zombies!

#1092192 - Sat Apr 18 2015 01:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Gentleman's Agreement" 1947

Gregory Peck is a writer who tells everyone he's Jewish in order to research a story on antisemitism.

This is an odd one. In some ways it's quite brave and plainspoken, especially when confronting the hypocrisy of those who say they dislike prejudice, but are unwilling to put themselves to any bother to fight it - a central theme of the movie. But in some places it seems really tone deaf - there's a conversation between Peck and John Garfield, who plays his Jewish best friend, about how the worst thing the antisemites can do is hurt the children. This in 1947, when the world had a very good idea that hurting children's feelings was far from the worst. The Holocaust is never mentioned in this film.
Celeste Holm, a favourite of mine, won an Oscar for her portrayal of the girl that Peck should have picked.

#1092193 - Sat Apr 18 2015 02:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
I gave up on that film, I think; it was a bit turgid and stiff in places. I liked the idea of it but it all got a bit uninteresting. Something that set out to be brave but got tame. I didn't think Peck's character (or perhaps Peck himself) was very endearing or heroic, just sort of self righteous. I may be remembering it as worse than it was! smile

#1092211 - Sat Apr 18 2015 04:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

No, that's a fair reading. And I just kept thinking "Why not ask a Jew to write the piece?" which didn't help.

I'm glad I watched it, though. I suspect it made certain people very uncomfortable at the time, and still.

#1092237 - Sun Apr 19 2015 01:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Typical Elia Kazan product (director), if there is such a thing. B&W, lots of character development and wonderings about self worth. Where I loved "Streetcar...", I felt stretched to my limits by "East of Eden". I just picked up "Viva Zapata!" to see if the magic returns with another hook-up with Brando. Then I'm gonna get me some and I'll watch "On the Waterfront" to settle things. Until I get into a Greg Peck mood I don't think I'll be seeing more of the "Gentleman's Agreement" than the clips of it that were part of the Elia Kazan biography in the "Streetcar..." bonus material.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Apr 19 2015 04:02 AM)

#1093285 - Mon Apr 27 2015 05:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

More Elia.

"Viva Zapata!"

Marlon Brando, Jean Peters, Anthony Quinn (best support Oscar), Joseph Wiseman, Frank de Kova (Chief Wild Eagle of F Troop) in a minor but critical role at the finale

B&W, more Kazan character angst but the story is from John Steinbeck! A telling of how many unstable governments at the turn into the 20th century were challenged with deciding what governing they wanted to adopt. Mexico went through several 'revolutions'. You could smell Trotsky if this was smell-o-vision. If history is a topic you like in a film, this won't disappoint. Brando was at his finest!

#1093288 - Mon Apr 27 2015 06:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I'll give that one a try - I don't mind a little earnest Elia....

#1093314 - Tue Apr 28 2015 06:42 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The World's End" - Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Paddy Considine, Martin Freeman, Eddie Marsan, Rosamund Pike

A humorous pub crawl led by Pegg (where have we seen that before? No zombies in this one. Here it's space aliens and robots). There is amusement throughout until the denouement and I'm at a loss over it. For the time I spent, I got good smile muscle exercise. This answers why you shouldn't or can't go home again.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Apr 28 2015 06:57 AM)

#1093323 - Tue Apr 28 2015 08:34 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

It was fun, but nowhere near as good as the zombies, I thought.

#1093378 - Tue Apr 28 2015 01:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"The November Man"

Disclaimer: I love Pierce Brosnan. The movie was a little hard to understand what was going on at the beginning, but it was interesting to watch and try to figure out. Plus it had Pierce Brosnan. The movie itself didn't get good reviews, but if you like the spy vs spy stuff/"Taken" and/or Pierce Brosnan, it's worth watching.

Editor for Television Category

#1093395 - Tue Apr 28 2015 02:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

... and wished I hadn't but it was raining today. This cheered me up a little.

Space Babes Meet The Monsters - Patrick Macnee (as an on screen narrator), Daniel Roebuck, William Sanderson

In the extra bits you learn this effort was done under a different name: "The Low Budget Time Machine". Spoiled moments spoiled makes acceptable? If you don't have the money for CG just have the actors stand against the wall of mounted kitchen paraphernalia and have them say, "We're captured and can't move." Worked for me. Or spend the money for a few cases of beer to get some guy to sing "My name is Gary, and I'm not that scary, No, no, no, no." A bowling ball with some white tape applied in geometric patterns makes for a convincing 'All Powerful Leader'. The desert makes a good representative of a post apocalyptic world if filmed from varying angles (okay, one angle might work too). If all the cast women hesitate at the same time and go to one knee, it makes adding laser beams that much easier.

There is one very rewarding extra on the DVD: a special "History of Time" done somewhere back in the fifties by Rolex as an educational short about the history and development of time measurement, ending of course, with the waterproof Rolex Oyster.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Apr 28 2015 02:44 PM)

#1093982 - Sat May 02 2015 02:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Furies" (1950) Now that's what I call a Western. Fantastic story of revenge and long held grudges, with outstanding performances from Walter Huston and Barbara Stanwyck and Judith Anderson (Mrs Danvers from "Rebecca") Just a great great movie, but of course she should have fallen in love with Juan - I did.

#1094919 - Mon May 11 2015 05:47 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

If your trouble is Zombies...

"Corpse Grinders II"

These were actually just cadavers not zombies, but they could have been.
At a time when the Cat planet Ceta is besieged by the dog plantet Traxis and the rations are running low for the cats, they decide to come to Earth just as two cousins are resurrecting the cat food business their uncles began... and the men in black set up the supply contract for 400 cases of cat food... supplies are hard to come by so all zombies gladly accepted.
Click to reveal..
There was however one corpse that may have been a zombie: Caleb's wife. She sits up screaming when she is being conveyed into the grinder and she had been dead for quite some time before that.

This is a Ted Mikels' product. His career has brought us a lot of sexploitative horror B-movies. The titles say it all "Dr Sex", "Blood Orgy of the She-Devils", "The Worm Eaters", "Apartheid Slave-Women's Justice" and "Mark of the Astro-Zombies" to name a few. Now you won't catch me eating worms but I can see the need. Mikels turned that one into quite a horror flick, a reel gag me with a spoon drive-in classic.

Edited by mehaul (Mon May 11 2015 09:00 PM)

#1095353 - Fri May 15 2015 06:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Bubble Boy"
Jake Gyllenhaal, Swoosie Kurtz, Marley Shelton, Danny Trejo, John Carroll Lynch

No zombies, but plenty of zombie chase scenes as a multitude of people from varying backgrounds try to catch up to the boy in the bubble. The bubble boy himself in scenes of him running across barren desert landscapes looks like a cross between a zombie and the robot from "Lost in Space". Much of the humor is adult and not sophomoric as some trailers indicate and the very idea of a bubble boy connotes. For a night of cozy, smiley-face popcorn munching, this film won't disappoint.

I'm sorry to be using a zombie measurement stick so often lately, but if the notches line up, zombie equivalencies can be seen. And I know a few of my ready-to-be-watched DVDs have zombie themes

Edit-ion: In the extras Danny Trejo says this is the only movie he isn't killed in. People who make achievement benchmarks on such extremes of the population of character actors in Hollywood History, will be interested in this one. He does play a major role and does it well.

Edited by mehaul (Fri May 15 2015 06:52 PM)

Page 26 of 53 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 52 53 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong