Rules
Terms of Use

Page 50 of 52 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 >
Topic Options
#1201271 - Wed Jul 18 2018 09:06 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The Moon is Blue" 1953

Yet another sex comedy without the sex. This one at least comes right out and talks about it, to the extent that it was Banned in Boston! Considerably more charming than it has any right to be, mostly due to the absolutely spot-on performances.

#1202200 - Sat Aug 04 2018 07:41 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Won't You Be My Neighbour" 2018

Fred Rogers bio gives a real sense of the amount of heart he had. Would probably be impossible for anyone who grew up with him to view without a tear (I'm a little too old for him to have been part of my childhood) Even without that connection, I found a few bits deeply moving.

#1202541 - Thu Aug 09 2018 06:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Ordinary People" 1980

I love books and movies where people get therapy and get a little bit better.

MTM was never better. This is her greatest performance.

#1202688 - Fri Aug 10 2018 09:41 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Cali Colombia            
Mission impossible (2018)

Very enjoyable, fun and fast action, you don't be disappointment if you want a spy movie, with jumps, running and all iconical points of the franchise.

#1202693 - Fri Aug 10 2018 09:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Godwit Offline
Participant

It's amazing that Tom Cruise does so many of his own stunts. That guy must be fearless.

He still can run like mad, also!

#1202699 - Sat Aug 11 2018 12:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

The decieve game, I liked, like a magician, and Cruise it's awesome as Ethan, it's a great franchise and another great blockbuster I miss the Hawkeye in this movie, as missed in the avengers Infinity war.

Any shoot for the worst movie of 2018...maybe the shades of grey

#1202751 - Sat Aug 11 2018 06:56 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Jerry Maguire" 1996

OK, I can see why people love it. Lots of heart, lots of romance, super cute kid.... But I guess I'm just too old. Or the charming guy incapable of real intimacy, well, let's say it hits a bit close to home. So I have to wonder how this couple would be doing, ten years on.

#1202929 - Tue Aug 14 2018 10:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Godwit Offline
Participant

I searched "worst movies 2018" and sadly, there's a loooooong list, most of them with winning stars in the cast. Grey is there, yep.

#1203292 - Sun Aug 19 2018 08:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Lady Bird" 2017

So nothing happens in this movie that you haven't seen in a coming of age movie before. But it rings so true, and it's got so much heart, and it's so well done, and the performances are so spot on, that you don't mind at all.

#1203619 - Wed Aug 22 2018 04:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Midnight" 1939

Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche, in a really fun screwball comedy. Don't look very close at the plot, as I suspect there were not really so many Hungarian taxicab drivers in Paris who spoke perfect English with an American accent. And I think most of the "French law" was made up by the screenwriters. But everyone is charming, and everyone is funny. What else do we need?

#1203648 - Wed Aug 22 2018 09:30 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Space Station 76"

Well this is a strange one, but well worth your time if you like something a bit off beat. We're in a sci fi world, in a space station - one that is perfectly styled to 1976, down to the attitudes of the crew. It looks like a sci fi movie, but it's actually a mashup of Payton Place and Naked Gun. It reminds me in a way of the first season of "Glee" - the wife with the fake pregnancy would have fit in on this space station just fine.

#1203843 - Fri Aug 24 2018 08:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"I, Tonya" 2017

Just amazing. Fantastic performances all the way around. Allison Janney as the truly monstrous mother is probably the best of a wonderful cast.

#1203886 - Sat Aug 25 2018 08:12 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
apathy100 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ontario Canada
"The Bad Kids", 2016

A documentary about a high school in California dealing with troubled teens at risk of dropping out but attempt to achieve their high school diploma in an alternative setting. As a teacher myself working with often troubled youth, this one hit home for me. I applaud the efforts of this documentary.

--Nelson Mandela--

#1203939 - Sat Aug 25 2018 07:53 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Long Goodbye" 1973

Another one for my "I can't believe I never saw this before" files. I've passed it over a dozen times because I thought I'd already seen it - have no idea what movie I'd been thinking of, but it wasn't this one.

Raymond Chandler updated to the 70s works very well indeed, thank you. I've always felt Marlowe is portrayed best as slightly scruffy and slightly confused, and Elliot Gould manages that just fine. Sterling Hayden apparently improvised most of his lines, and I've gotta say, I've known once-magnificent, now-tired, old drunks who acted just that way.

I always like Altman, and this was yet another good one.

#1204002 - Sun Aug 26 2018 07:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Crazy Rich Asians" 2018

Couple things here.

I fully appreciate how amazing it is to have a big budget, mainstream Hollywood rom-com in wide distribution, with an all-Asian cast. I know how excited I'd be, as a western Canadian, to see a movie made in my part of the world that didn't pretend it was somewhere else, and I have the privilege of having a lifetime of watching movies about comfortably-off straight English-speaking white people like me. It's important, and it's good, that this movie exists.

Strictly as a movie, though, it's nothing special. The lovers are likable, the sets are gorgeous, (Singapore is SO beautiful!) the funny bits are funny enough, the heart was warmed. If you're looking for a date movie, it's a competent date movie.

I'm glad it was made, I'm glad I threw them a few bucks to see it in the theatre so maybe they'll make other all-Asian Hollywood movies, but this is not one I'll ever need to watch again.

#1204707 - Sun Sep 02 2018 10:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Dickie Roberts, Former Child Star" 2003

Well, it's a David Spade movie, so it's kinda stupid, and much of the humour is crude and mean spirited, but it's also got enough heart to make it not a disaster. Amazing cameos by every child star you can imagine.

The actors who play the kids are considerably better than the mom - I've seen better performances in regional amateur theatre.

#1204717 - Mon Sep 03 2018 01:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Veronica(2017) & Romina(2018)

Romina(Mexico) was awful, a non sense slasher with a great trailer but the movie sunks, don't waste your time, with a reference a Friday 13th with the lake(named Lago Cristal-Cristal's Lake) its a payback movie but if you liked this kinds of movies see a better movie as I spit in your grave. So bad Netflix, need a great improvement in the original terror movies. Bad plot, awful direction, chaotic in the bad sense, the characters don't generate a good feeling with the spectator.... 3/10

Veronica(Spain) it's another terror movie, I liked, the teen with the Ouija and possessions, its no specially original, but its so good to see. The cast of children it's good.
three nights to the nightmare, a great idea, with a good performances...8/10

#1204808 - Mon Sep 03 2018 04:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"In the Heat of the Night" 1967

Wow.

I had never seen this, because many years ago I read the book it was based on and was not too impressed. Over the years I got the impression that I'd seen it. Tired Old Queen at the Movies on youtube featured it last week and I thought "Man, I've got to see that".

An amazing movie. Beautifully shot, great performances, and still relevant, dammit.

#1204819 - Mon Sep 03 2018 06:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
"Winchester" (2018)

I have always been intrigued by the story of the Winchester Mansion and it's purported hauntings. I found the movie had not enough scares and too much downtime. Took me two times to finish it. Fell asleep the first. Love the cinematography though and of course, the costumes.

#1204957 - Wed Sep 05 2018 12:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Pajaros de verano(birds of passage)

I strongly recommend this movie, it's a little fragment of my country, spoked in the original native language (wayuu), they mixed the Spanish with the wayuu, it's a great photography, with a very intense history, I learn a lot of a very mysterious and forgeted part of the country.
The movie go deep in how the narcotics destroy our country, how deep was the damage, to the culture and traditions, the role of the "palabreros", the dreams, the relationship between natives and people outside the indigenous people.

My rate is ....9/10
The movie it's directed by Ciro Guerra, the first Oscar winner of Colombia, and it's an awesome movie.

Edited by joecali (Wed Sep 05 2018 12:04 AM)

#1205073 - Wed Sep 05 2018 10:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
joecali Offline
Forum Adept

Teen Titans go

Funny, with a great moments, with a child humor some time, with references and an elaborated jokes some others...I liked, ir you see as parody.
It's not spectacular but it's a good familiar entretaiment.
The tape rewrited, the posters, the post credit.

My rate is 7....nice I don't expect more, but the movie don't disappoint.

#1205077 - Wed Sep 05 2018 11:12 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Prolific

"To all the boys i've loved before" (2018) Netflix Original

I usually don't get on the train of suggested or trendy movies. I was bored one night and netflix didn't have anything interesting to me that night (Canadians get screwed)
so i decided to watch the "hot" movie.

It is a rom-com, a teen one at that, but suprisingly i had no problem watching it at my age (35). I found it refreshing,funny,and witty. I loved how diverse it was in that the main character is Asian.

I think it's worth a watch if you want a feel good, cuddle up in a blanket with tea or cocoa kind of movie.

#1205263 - Fri Sep 07 2018 09:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

I've heard it's good.

"Cop Land" 1997

Well, my my, where has this one been hiding?

Sylvester Stallone, of all people, in a very good movie about police corruption.

Look at this cast - Stallone, Robert de Niro, Ray Liotta, Harvey Keitel.... every one of them doing a good job. Stallone's character is kinda soft, kinda stupid, kinda ineffectual, and finally gets mad enough to do what has to be done.

#1205270 - Sat Sep 08 2018 01:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ...
Severyn Offline
Prolific

I actually had a date planned to watch that movie when it came out, but I got Pinkeye.

#1205533 - Tue Sep 11 2018 06:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ...
agony Offline

Administrator

"Bright Young Things" 2003

An adaptation of Evelyn Waugh's "Vile Bodies", from Stephen Fry.

Fry is the perfect person to have done this - he understands the period (1930s) and understands the light it shines on nowadays. The plot is pure PG Wodehouse if Wodehouse was filled with cynical despair.

It looks like we have cameos from every famous English actor who was around at the time it was made, but most of that was lost on me, a colonial.

I'm a huge Waugh fan, and a huge Fry fan, and loved it, but I can see why modern audiences, and especially American ones, might not have been too charmed - it's pretty dire.

Page 50 of 52 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong