Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 ... 41 42 >
Topic Options
#804742 - Wed Jun 27 2012 07:53 AM The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
"Have you seen a good movie recently? Let us know!" says the category blurb.

I know there's a similar thread on the other chat boards but perhaps it would be nice to have one here too?

What's the last film you watched?

And more importantly -- without giving anything away! -- was it any good?

No spoilers. cool

The last film I watched was "Insomnia" directed by Christoper Nolan and starring Al Pacino. (2002)

It wasn't perfect but it was very good, very enjoyable, and slightly unusual as thrillers go. I see that the New York Times described it as a "Noir Thriller" and certainly that fits it. It has more in common with the noir genre than today's modern thriller anyway. It's more about storyline and character than car chases. Watch it if you like a good story.

4 stars!

#804760 - Wed Jun 27 2012 10:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia USA
The last one I watched was "War Horse." There are so many movies about WWll, and not nearly as many on "The Great War." To view the horrors of war primarily through the experience of a horse was an inspired concept (I don't remember the name of the book's author) and I thought it was well done and enlightening. The several horses the filmakers used to portray the war horse of the title were absolutely amazing!

#804872 - Wed Jun 27 2012 03:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: jabb5076]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

I'm so glad you mentioned that one, I had forgotten about it and need to put it back on my "to watch" list.

I watched a documentary about turning it from book into stageplay for the National Theatre in London, and the puppet horse they made was astounding.

#804877 - Wed Jun 27 2012 03:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The Kids are Alright" with Juliane Moore and Annette Bening. I thought it was pretty good - I liked that all the characters were likable people who each did something wrong. Everyone behaved badly to some extent, but nobody was really the bad guy.

My daughter didn't like it much, for much the same reason. Moral ambiguity is more appealing, I think, at 50 than at 20.

#804933 - Wed Jun 27 2012 10:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I just watched 'Abraham Lincoln', Vampire Hunter, in 3D, no less, and you know what?, i loved it.
I know the premise is, to say the least off kilter and to some, sacrilegious, but it works.
It takes the known history of Lincoln himself and the civil war and weaves vampires into the story in such a way
as to make it in it's own way, interesting.
It was directed by Tim Burton too, so take that into consideration as well.
The sight of Abe wielding an axe like he was born to it was alone worth the price of admission.

#804980 - Thu Jun 28 2012 04:58 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: george48]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I watched The Burning Plain the other day ... Charlize Theron, Kim Basinger, Jennifer Lawrence (from The Hunger Games).

I really liked it, and was surprised to find it was a box-office bummer with generally lousy reviews. What most reviewers didn't like was precisely what kept me interested the most ... the way scenes from the film jolt forward and backwards in time without explanation, and the fact there are separate 'threads' of characters/plot that look unconnected.

Anyone else see it? Like? Hate?

#805618 - Sun Jul 01 2012 01:30 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: dsimpy]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Never heard of it, dsimpy. Considering the huge marketing exercise that the film industry is, it's a pity that films that don't buzz immediately at the Box Office can fall into obscurity quite easily while some duff ones go on to be household names. I fell for the buzz around the Blair Witch Project at the time and still wish I had asked for my money back.

George, I would never have thought of watching 'Abraham Lincoln', Vampire Hunter, but you have me curious now.

Agony, I really liked "The Kids are Alright" too. I thought Juliane Moore and Annette Bening were great in it. It's in the Woody-Allen-esque genre, I think. Is that a genre? It is now.

Edited by Chavs (Sun Jul 01 2012 01:31 AM)

#805621 - Sun Jul 01 2012 03:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New South Wales Australia    ...
dsimpy The Burning Plain was good movie i never heard of it til a couple months when it was on Pay TV,Charlize Theron was very good

#805653 - Sun Jul 01 2012 11:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: wwe84]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Just turned off my portable DVD player after watching "Where the Heart Is". Saw this thread and decided to weigh in. A good flick demonstrating Natalie Portmen's abilities to portray emotions. Great supporting cast with Ashley Judd, Stockard Channing, Sally Field, Joan Cusack, James Frain and Dylan Bruno.
The tale is built around a woman who gives birth to a baby in a WalMart she has been clandestinely living in since her sperm donor abandoned her outside it. Slowly her life comes back together. Though not in Kansas, there is a nice tornado scene where this Dorothy seems to grow from teen mom to Emerald City citizen. The movie shows that into each life a little rain must fall, sometimes it feels like a hurricane. A definite feel good, pick me up film to watch.

Edit: Not to be confused with the Dabney Coleman/Uma Thurman "Where the Heart Is"

Edited by mehaul (Sun Jul 01 2012 11:28 AM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#808641 - Sat Jul 14 2012 07:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Put myself through the agony of watching "My Cousin Rachel" (1952) starring Olivia de Havilland & Richard Burton, from the book by Daphne Du Maurier.

A very good story spoiled.

Full of actorry melodrama.

Ripe for a re-make.

#808642 - Sat Jul 14 2012 07:59 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

And exactly the same goes for.... "The Tenth Man", starring Anthony Hopkins, Derek Jacobi and Kristin Scott Thomas, based on the novel by Graham Greene.

(But replace melodrama with hammy acting).

Bring on the re-make quick!

#808762 - Sat Jul 14 2012 04:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Jesus Christ Superstar" was remarkable for the music and the unique way Norman Jewison chose to present the tale of the Passion in a mixed then and now art. Also of note is that there is not one scene shot on a sound stage (good dubbing or lip-synching as it's come to be known).

I thought watching this out of season (summer vs Easter) might impact my take on it. It turned out to be much like Christmas in July for I had never seen the film before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually, with the warm summer weather, I could identify more with the setting of the story and movie.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jul 14 2012 08:05 PM)

#808767 - Sat Jul 14 2012 06:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Chavs, just watched "Rebecca" (another Du Maurier) and remember why I dislike this story so much. To my eyes it's not a romance but the story of an abusive man with almost pedophiliac tendencies - obviously not the way it was seen at the time the film was made.

#808898 - Sun Jul 15 2012 03:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Yes, I agree with you, it was pretty disturbing! They pulled off the melodrama in Rebecca, though - well, more than My Cousin Rachel did anyway. ( imho, natch!)

Never seen Jesus Christ Superstar, must give it a go!

#811005 - Thu Jul 26 2012 05:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"K 19 - The Widowmaker"

Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford - need I say more? wink

(Only thing that could have improved it would have been adding Pierce Brosnan and Michael Douglas!)

Editor for Television Category

#811019 - Thu Jul 26 2012 09:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Scout" with Albert Brooks and Brendan Fraser. A pretty good movie, I've always thought, that didn't have the success it deserved. I think it was probably marketed wrong - the trailers and packaging make it look like a madcap comedy and while it's funny, it's not funny in that madcap way. Kinda touching, in fact.

Brooks is a baseball scout who finds the worlds greatest player (Fraser) All would be well, except he's got some serious emotional issues. Great performances.

#812385 - Thu Aug 02 2012 02:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
darksplash Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyrone
Northern Ireland UK 
Just back from the new Batman movie. Action scenes good, dialogue scenes a bit long...and Michael Caine was cringingly woeful.
(Also Movie a bit long at 2.5 hours, and that is after the commercials and trailers)

#813078 - Sun Aug 05 2012 04:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: darksplash]
wwe84 Offline
Star Poster

i watched The Reunion with John Cena,Amy Smart & Ethan Embry this wasn't a good movie and WWE should stop making movies cause they have only made 2 good movies in The Condemned with Stone Cold and 12 Rounds with John Cena can't believe they are making a sequel to 12 Rounds called 12 Rounds:Reloaded with Randy Orton

in all wouldn't bother watching this movie again

#813108 - Sun Aug 05 2012 07:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: wwe84]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I watched "the Guard" and it was hilarious .. in a dark kind of way.
It's an Irish movie with a bit of humour, bit of mystery and a bit of a twist at the end.

#813114 - Sun Aug 05 2012 09:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Copago]
agony Offline

Administrator

My daughter wants me to watch "The Avengers" with her, and insists we watch all the superhero movies that lead up to it. So far we've seen "Ironman", "The Hulk" and "Captain America". I'm not a fan of action movies, but found the first two at least watchable; "Captain America" was, I'm sorry, just dreadful. Barely coherent, and with no redeeming qualities that I could see.

#813139 - Mon Aug 06 2012 03:29 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Copago]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

To add the a run of disappointments, I watched "London River", a story set in London in the days after the 7/7 bombs.

It should and could have been a film of real genius. Instead it kept tripping itself up by trying to be too clever. The mixture of French & English only served to interrupt some of the most emotional scenes, with sudden subtitles shattering the moments.

One virtually wordless scene in particular was beautifully acted but the emotional climax got totally destroyed when subtitles suddenly appeared on the bottom of the screen to translate the most basic French phrase (Bon Voyage).

I concluded that it must have been written as a showcase for the male lead, Sotigui Kouyaté, who speaks French & whose acting prowess cannot be ignored. But that's a travesty because Brenda Blethyn's undeniable greatness was compromised by the interruptions, and - worse than that - all this faffing about distracted from the film's best point which was that it captured (superbly) the backstreets of ordinary London with ordinary people going through the banal, hideous, and lonely process of finding missing people after the bombings.

It's a film worth watching for all its genius, really it is, but watch it with a strong coffee and all your wits about you because you will have to work as hard as the film crew to get the most out of it.

Originally Posted By: Copago
I watched "the Guard" and it was hilarious .. in a dark kind of way.
It's an Irish movie with a bit of humour, bit of mystery and a bit of a twist at the end.

Good to hear, will stick that on my "to watch list"!

#813201 - Mon Aug 06 2012 08:50 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Interesting to hear this viewpoint. I'm hard of hearing, and watch all movies with closed captioning on, just to make sure I catch everything. My kids, who have normal hearing, have gotten into the habit through watching with me, and now also always use it. The result of this is that we don't find subtitles distracting at all, we're so used to them. Probably someone like me would have a completely different reaction to this film.

#813214 - Mon Aug 06 2012 09:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

That's a very good point but I find that using closed captions or subtitles stops being distracting after a short while and have watched some great films where the subtitles didn't bother me in the least - Das Boot, Pan's Labyrinth & Life is Beautiful are 3 of my favourite films and I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon too. The subtitles make no difference to my rating because they didn't detract.

I just found the switching from one language to another distracting in this one. There seemed to be no need. In some war films they have used both German and English (and therefore some subtitling) but it seemed to me to be pertinent and didn't interfere with emotional moments. In this film, emotion was everything and I thought choices about which language to use and when to use the captions just served to remind me that I was watching a film rather than let me be drawn into it.

But I am very interested to know if I am the only one who felt that. It could just have been my mood even! & Maybe if I had been forewarned it wouldn't have thrown me.

#814098 - Fri Aug 10 2012 10:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Offline
Star Poster

Watched Three Fugitives with Martin Short & Nick Nolte it's my favourite Martin Short ever this movie is so funny one of my favourite moments in the movie is when Ned Martin Short's character shoots Lucas in the leg and he takes him to Dr Horvath who is a vet but Dr Horvath is so out of it that he thinks Lucas is a dog he treats him like that

one of the funniest movies ever

#814190 - Fri Aug 10 2012 05:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: wwe84]
kalathena Offline
Participant

Loc: Michigan USA          
Last American movie I watched was BOTTLE SHOCK with Chris Pine and Alan Rickman. A cute little movie about Napa Valley in 1976 and how their wines got to be world renown.

The last Bollywood film I watched was DOSTANA, the remake, not the original, which I admit, I have never seen. Abishek Bachchan did a lovely job with this fun comedy, following in his father's footsteps. Now I just have to track down the original so I can see his dad's performance.

Edited by kalathena (Fri Aug 10 2012 09:24 PM)

#814204 - Fri Aug 10 2012 06:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: kalathena]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just enjoyed "Summer Lovers" (1982) with Daryl Hannah, Peter Gallagher and Valerie Quennessen as the characters involved in a successful love triangle on the island of Santorini. I was taken with Valerie's beauty and tried to find out more about her. She'd played the princess Conan saves in "Conan the Barbarian". She left movies after "SL" to raise a family in France. After about 5 years she was making a comeback but was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident.
You know how they say things come in threes. Well, years before "Splash" in "SL", Daryl H said she often fantasized about being a mermaid as a teen. In SL on a scene intended to show the bonding that was developing between the three characters, Valerie's gets into a moped accident when she is run off the road by a tourist bus. One prophecy remains to be garnered from this film. If I were Peter Gallagher, I'd know this film by heart.

#814348 - Sat Aug 11 2012 07:59 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Following on the superhero theme, we watched "Thor" the other night. Appealing and kinda cute, with about as much coherence as you can expect from a comic book movie.

Thor was my favourite comic superhero when I was a kid, ('cause he was so goodlooking, natch) and I thought they did a good job of capturing the feeling of Asgard from the comics - or at least it matches my forty-plus year old memories.

#815830 - Fri Aug 17 2012 05:05 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: kalathena]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: kalathena
Last American movie I watched was BOTTLE SHOCK with Chris Pine and Alan Rickman. A cute little movie about Napa Valley in 1976 and how their wines got to be world renown.

Never heard of it but that sounds my type of movie, thanks for the tip off.

#815831 - Fri Aug 17 2012 05:07 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

We Need To Talk About Kevin.

5 stars plus! Sublime. Best film I've seen in years. Just... watch it.

Edited to clarify: Sublime film-making (not a second of film wasted, from story to cinematography every detail was thought out, every scene compelling) but it's a dark film and horrific story.

Edited by Chavs (Sun Aug 19 2012 03:25 PM)

#816574 - Mon Aug 20 2012 02:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
The Manchurian Candidate, the Denzel Washington version. Very decent but it really made me want to see the original again - a much better film.

#816709 - Mon Aug 20 2012 09:41 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
agony Offline

Administrator

We Need To Talk About Kevin
-----------------

I tried to read the book, but as a child care professional I found it very hard. I just wanted that baby taken away from his mother so bad - clear emotional abuse. I don't think I could watch it, I'd be throwing things through the screen.

#816759 - Tue Aug 21 2012 01:31 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Yes, I could understand that. I originally avoided it for similar reasons, & it was only a comment on these forums that made me give the film a try - it wasn't what I thought it was going to be, it was more complex. Maybe the book is different. Can't guarantee that you wouldn't throw things at the screen though; I averted my eyes occasionally.

Edited to add:

Agony, I've been thinking about what you said and I find that the film didn't leave me with feelings about the "mother's emotional abuse" of her child - in fact I don't think that phrase is really applicable.

So I'm wondering if the book really was different or whether you might have felt differently had you finished the book or watched the film. In the film, the story reveals itself slowly and so earlier scenes might not give a fair summary of the story.

Either way, if you ever decide to watch it I would be very interested to hear what you thought, so even if it's years from now I hope you update us. smile

Edited by Chavs (Tue Aug 21 2012 07:24 AM)

#816897 - Tue Aug 21 2012 12:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I couldn't even finish the book, as I couldn't stand the way she was treating that baby. I also saw a lot of, um, nonsense, in the way the author was setting up the child to be a monster. It was like a "demon seed" movie from the fifties rather than anything reflecting what we know about how children develop empathy. I mean, sure, it's their book, their movie, they can have him sprout horns and forked tongue if they want to, but that's not how children with empathic personality disorders work. The book was presented as a serious look at children who do unspeakable things, but really it was just cheap horror.

Maybe I can give the movie a chance at some time, though, when I'm feeling well grounded.

#816899 - Tue Aug 21 2012 01:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

I was channel flicking the other day and stumbled across Hitchcock's The Birds, so I ended up watching it along with my learning disabled daughter who loves most films that involve people being eaten, colonised or dismembered by abnormally large or genetically mutated animals.

Not surprisingly she loved it ... and we're now awaiting arrival of the DVD from Amazon (at her insistence). It really hasn't lost any of its power over the years, despite the almost laughable staginess of the bird attacks. Great film!

(After the film I asked my daughter if she'd like to pop outside and garage the car for the night ... as there were a few birds about that I didn't like the look of ... but she was having none of that!!)

#817029 - Tue Aug 21 2012 11:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: dsimpy]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Searching for more of Valerie Quennessen's work I came across 1979's "French Postcards".
Choppily edited together, it still presents a fair window on coming of age in a foriegn culture for some American students in Paris. It is the first major billing for the following artists:
Miles Chapin (left acting to run the family business - Steinway Pianos)
Blanche Baker (Carroll Baker's daughter and a steady supporting actress through the years)
David Marshall Grant (Did mostly Broadway work)
Valérie Quennessen (the princess saved by Arnold in Conan the Barbarian")
Debra Winger (many big roles)
Mandy Patinkin (many big roles)

The film was shot almost entirely in and around Paris, often highlighting some of the famous destination's major attractions.

Edit to add for other Valerie fans: She rides a moped in this movie too. In fact, she jump starts it by running in high heels, jumping on it and poppong the clutch!

Edited by mehaul (Tue Aug 21 2012 11:11 PM)

#821157 - Thu Sep 06 2012 06:50 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
kalathena Offline
Participant

Loc: Michigan USA          
Totally understand not wanting to watch WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN. I know I could never get through it. It was difficult enough for me to watch MY NAME IS KHAN, though I'm extremely glad I did.

As the mother of a son with autism, I would either be too overwhelmed emotionally by the film or hyper-critical of it. Either way, it just wouldn't work.

#821186 - Thu Sep 06 2012 10:40 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
The Kingdom.... What a great action film that is! Highly recommended.

#821267 - Thu Sep 06 2012 03:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: sisterseagull]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

In the past two weeks I've watched:

-"Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing" - Good story but weak on character empathy and portrayal. Until the ending of course.

-"Titus"(Andronicus)- The Julie Taymor exquisite presentation of what they say was Elizabethan Shakespear's most successful effort. Her mix of modern elements with Roman parts makes the telling seem like the material is good for any age. It has Antony Hopkins, Jessica Lange and Alan Cummings at their very best.

-"Boondock Saints" - Irish South Boston as filmed in Canada? Why? But the time spent with the brothers McManus fighting the Russian mob is well choreographed and stunted.

-"Fail Safe" - still relevant, maybe even more so today with 9(?) known nuclear bomb capable nations.

Edit: I put "The Kingdom" on my buy list. Thanks Sisterseagull.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Sep 06 2012 04:34 PM)

#821300 - Thu Sep 06 2012 05:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Just watched "The Descendents". Very very good indeed - a real movie for grownups. I thought it dealt beautifully with the mixed feelings we have when a much loved but imperfect person dies - "my pain, my joy..."

I've been watching a lot of superhero movies this summer, and it was so nice to see something adult in the best sense of the word.

#822053 - Mon Sep 10 2012 09:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
I last watched Alexander Korda's "The Private Life of Henry VIII" with Charles Laughton in his Oscar-grabbing title role. Co-starring were Robert Donat (future Oscar-winner for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"), Merle Oberon (who Korda later married, and whose life nephew Michael Korda would fictionalize in the novel "Queenie") and Laughton's wife Elsa Lanchester (best known for playing Mary Shelly and the title role in "Bride of Frankenstein"). Laughton and Lanchester had a long marriage (despite Laughton being homosexual) and co-starred in other films, such as Korda's "Rembrandt" and Wilder's "Witness for the Prosecution".

tjoeb};>

#822495 - Tue Sep 11 2012 09:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: tjoebigham]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
John Grisham’s “The Rainmaker.” (I bought it on audio from my local community library in a book sale. Still on tape one of four, but so far it’s very good.

The last book I read (in Braille) was “Firestorm” by David Klass. It’s the first in his “Caretaker Trilogy,” and I actually read it twice. It’s an environmental thriller, and I highly recommend it to those who are interested in that kind of thing. Well written, to say the least.

Edited by Jazmee27 (Tue Sep 11 2012 09:04 PM)

#823044 - Thu Sep 13 2012 08:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
saintlysinner Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I watched Battleship last night. For a film based on a boardgame it was good and worth watching.

#823521 - Fri Sep 14 2012 08:34 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: saintlysinner]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

The Princess Bride.

Mom got the DVD from her friend, and thought I'd enjoy it, not realizing it was already on my list of favorite films (years ago, I used to watch the made-for-TV version). Nothing compares to the DVD!

#823568 - Fri Sep 14 2012 10:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Sweet and Lowdown" Jazz biography, Woody Allen style. Sean Penn plays a fictional Depression-era jazz guitarist. Hilarious.

#828460 - Sun Sep 30 2012 10:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

Just watched the modern remake of "The Italian Job" - enjoyable and quite a lot of fun, but with this much star power, it should have been better. Getting the original with Michael Caine from the library - love his movies from the 60's so looking forward to it.

#828706 - Mon Oct 01 2012 08:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"In Bruges". Definitely not for everyone, but if you like dark humour, and don't mind violence and profanity on the way, this is quite the film.

#828723 - Mon Oct 01 2012 11:41 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Except for the opening sequence, the two "The Italian Job" movies are very different but each enjoyable in their own way.

Over the past week I've done eye strain with:
"Superman II" - Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Terence Stamp

"Superman III" - Christopher Reeve, Richard Pryor, Jackie Cooper, Annette O'Toole, Annie Ross, Pamela Stephenson, Robert Vaughn, Margot Kidder

"Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" - Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman, Jackie Cooper, Marc McClure, Mariel Hemingway, Jon Cryer

"Sixteen Candles" - Molly Ringwald, Anthony Michael Hall, Michael Schoeffling, Paul Dooley, Blanche Baker, Justin Henry (Oh, that Blanche Baker again! Have I mentioned "French Postcards" and "The Girl Next Door"?)

"The Mask" - Jim Carrey, Cameron Diaz, Peter Riegert, Peter Greene, Amy Yasbeck

The "Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" I found to still be pertinent to the debate about whether more nations should be allowed into the Nuclear Arms Club or whether the club should be disbanded altogether.

Upcoming: "Rent" and the first seven "Hellraiser" films. There are two more "Hellraiser"s I may look into. Anyone have input on #'s 8 & 9?

Edited by mehaul (Mon Oct 01 2012 11:48 PM)

#829304 - Thu Oct 04 2012 06:00 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Ohmygosh, I had no idea there was even a 2nd Hellraiser! lol

Originally Posted By: agony
"In Bruges". Definitely not for everyone, but if you like dark humour, and don't mind violence and profanity on the way, this is quite the film.

Well described. I loved "In Bruges".

#830180 - Mon Oct 08 2012 02:38 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Made yet another attempt to watch "Dangerous Liaisons". Failed again. Apart from the pretty costumes - and they are very pretty - I just cannot concentrate on it and always end up doing something else like writing on forums or sleeping. Is it just me?

#830242 - Mon Oct 08 2012 09:58 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
LOL, not just you Chavs. I've never been able to get all the way through it either.

#830246 - Mon Oct 08 2012 10:22 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ClaraSue]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Phew!

#831291 - Sat Oct 13 2012 01:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Young Adult". The trailers make it seem like a comedy, and while it certainly is funny, I wouldn't really say "comedy". More of a character study, of an unattractive character. Charlize Theron does a fantastic job.

#831483 - Sun Oct 14 2012 11:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

The original "Italian Job" from the sixties, with Michael Caine. I was hoping for something along the lines of "Get Carter", but it's more like "Carry On Thieving". Should have twigged when I saw that Benny Hill was in the cast. Not really my cup of tea.

#831534 - Sun Oct 14 2012 05:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
ladymacb29 Offline

I watched "The Iron Lady". I didn't think it was very good. It zipped around so much in time that you never really ended up caring about what was happening at all.

I would have preferred the movie picking one specific time period or crisis (maybe Falklands War?) instead. It just felt entirely too rushed and like they made a 10 hour movie and just cut out most of it to fit into the allotted time.

#831540 - Sun Oct 14 2012 05:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Hustler". Where can you go wrong, really, with the young Paul Newman? I hadn't seen it for years, and don't think I'd noticed before what a visually striking film it is. We really lost something when we moved to colour in the movies.

#831682 - Mon Oct 15 2012 09:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Noting both of those write ups.

I usually keep away from films made in the 70s but I watched "Dog Day Afternoon" recently and was just blown away by the quality of it. (It opens with Al Pacino about to rob a bank and the film is the hour by hour story of how that all pans out.) Great acting all around. Brilliant capturing of atmosphere and characters. Fabulous (and oscar-winning) screenplay. Intense!

Edited by Chavs (Mon Oct 15 2012 09:52 AM)

#831698 - Mon Oct 15 2012 11:04 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

That's one of my favourite movies - it was pretty daring at the time, too.

#831756 - Mon Oct 15 2012 03:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

That's interesting! I think it has kept its edginess and relevance. I think it's going to get on my favourites list too.

I wondered why it didn't win more Oscars (as it was nominated for the big ones) so I looked it up and that year was a "clean sweep" for "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest". Them's the breaks, I guess.

#832184 - Wed Oct 17 2012 07:26 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Defendor" in which Woody Harrelson portrays a mentally challenged person who seeks self improvement by donning the persona of a superhero. There are many comical angles to this (he uses marbles as a weapon of choice, wasps in a glass bottle grenade and chewing gum and a firecracker to open unlocked doors to name a few). But the real point of the movie is that society allows this person to put himself in harm's way and that life doesn't care who you are or what your situation is. A very touching tale told by good performances by all the crafts involved in its making.

PS(edit) It takes place in The Hammer (Hamilton, Ontario).

Edited by mehaul (Wed Oct 17 2012 04:26 PM)

#832383 - Wed Oct 17 2012 08:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
If you count movies on television, then the last film I watched was "Wait until Dark" (1967), starring Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman on whom three criminals work a complicated confidence game, at least at first.... It is pretty startling at times, and features Alan Arkin as one of the creepiest and coldest villains I've ever seen. It's a real nail-biter! And a sountrack by Henry Manicini ("Pink Panther") to boot!

#832519 - Thu Oct 18 2012 10:14 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Paris, Texas".

And, yeah, it's wonderful, it's beautiful, it's incredibly filmed, the music is flawless, the performances are wrenching, it's got that ricochet thing going that you see in great films where small things start to echo and build up a sense of depth (for example, all the conversations that take place over the phone, over walkie talkies, over distance - nobody ever sits and looks at the person they are talking to face to face, in this movie....)

But I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I just kept thinking about that kid, a kid who needs his home, his friends, his toys, the sense that the people he loves will be there tomorrow. The kid in this movie is a plot device and a symbol, instead of being a real kid, and that's the weakness of the film. the only thing that keeps it from being perfect, IMO.

#832679 - Thu Oct 18 2012 09:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"House of Games"

I liked this quite a lot. Can't give away anything about the plot, except that it's about con games and deception. Nice noir feeling to it. In a move which I assume was intentional, our protagonist is highly unlikeable, while the bad guys are pretty appealing. It's possible that she's just a dreadful actress, but Mamet usually knows what he's doing, so I'm working from the assumption that she's supposed to be so flat - it certainly makes the final twist work. Worth seeing if you like modern noir.

#833332 - Sun Oct 21 2012 06:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp"

Considering it was made in England in 1942-43, a very nuanced look at war and soldiers. Fantastic performances, and Deborah Kerr is radiant, especially in the 1902 role.

#833364 - Mon Oct 22 2012 02:18 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

Last night I watched 'The Book of Eli', quite violent in places but not overly so and with a marvellous twist at the very end.

#833420 - Mon Oct 22 2012 09:54 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: sisterseagull]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Take the Money and Run", Woody Allen's first on-screen lead (after supporting in What's Up, Pussycat?" & "Casino Royale"), second director (after "What's Up, Tiger-Lily?") and third writer ("What's New, Pussycat?" & "What's Up, Tiger-Lily?") credits. Pure comic genius through the whole film. It is a mockumentary of the life of a bank robber who never got the goods through his own fault and through tragic coincidences. He's like a cartoon character, blown to smithereens in one scene only to be resurrected whole for the next, but without the explosions (Oops, there is that candle/TNT in disguise bit...).

Edited by mehaul (Mon Oct 22 2012 09:57 AM)

#833472 - Mon Oct 22 2012 04:53 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
Zippy826 Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington Pennsylvania USA  
One of my favorite quotes from a Woody Allen movie was in "Take the Money and Run". When he was going to rob the woman in the park and ended up talking to her, he said "After fifteen minutes I wanted to marry her, and after half an hour I completely gave up the idea of stealing her purse." I think his earlier movies were some of the funniest ever made. "Bananas", "Sleeper" and "Love and Death" are also hilarious.

#834504 - Fri Oct 26 2012 09:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Zippy826]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just watched two: "Teen Witch" and "Matilda." Both were very good, with excellent messages (the former) and a happy ending (both). And, oh, yeah, good music. Only problem is, there was a lot of visual stuff (more so in the latter movie), so it was somewhat difficult for me to follow at times.

#834900 - Sun Oct 28 2012 12:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
We've been having a movie marathon the last week while I was sewing Halloween costumes. My friends were over several days this week and needed some entertainment in between fittings, so they raided my DVDs. It started with a Halloween themed week - we watched 'Zombieland', 'Shaun of the Dead', and Jeff Dunham's new show, 'Minding the Monsters'. Then they moved on to Disney/Pixar - 'Up', 'The Emperor's New Groove', 'Wall-E' and possibly one or two others. I lost track after so many. smile

If you like Jeff Dunham, you really need to see his new special. It's hilarious!

#836006 - Thu Nov 01 2012 08:35 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: SilverMoonsong]
agony Offline

Administrator

A couple of movies this last few days. First, "Serpico" - I'd never seen it, for some reason. I was kinda "meh" but my son liked it. Gotta admit, though, Al Pacino is a fantastic actor - it's something we are so used to that we don't always appreciate just how good he was, and to some extent still is.

We also watched "Tremors 4". Enjoyable, and quite a lot of fun. And, since this is the fourth in a horror franchise, that is saying quite a lot.

#836076 - Fri Nov 02 2012 03:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Well, during the hurricane I was trapped in my home with nothing but my cat and my cable TV to comfort me (which luckily did NOT go out), so I watched quite a few movies. Here are the best:

(1) the original "Frankenstein" movie from 1931. Wow. You've got to see it if you haven't. I can really appreciate it now the way I couldn't when I saw it on TV as a teenager. There's so much to it, the lighting, the music, I can't even explain; and

(2) "Electoral Dysfunction", a very enlightening documentary about the electoral system (or should I say non-system?) in America. Funny, too; and

(3) "King of Kings" with Jeffrey Hunter playing Jesus Christ, although it seemed like it was more about Herod, Barabbas, and Pilate than Jesus, but it's still worth watching.

#836089 - Fri Nov 02 2012 04:39 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Recent DVD spins:

Disney's "Sleeping Beauty". has some good behind the scenes extras and commentary by the artists who drew it.

"The Gate" where tweens battle the emergence of an otherworldly creature into our world through a hole in the ground. Some good Harryhausen type stop-action animations. The Director commentary reveals some forced perspective shots that were unbelievable. Where I thought it was composited tiny claymation figures in some scenes were really full sized humans in rubber costumes off in the distance with all the environment and actors suspended in the air in front of the camera. That was worth the look-see.

A Grindhouse Double Feature of "Star Odyssey" and "Prisoners of the Lost Universe". Is there a class of films called D? They define what it was to waste a Saturday afternoon at a theater watching tripe rot on the screen.

"How to Steal a Million", a classic William Wyler romantic farce created to spotlight Audrey Hepburn's return to the screen after her split with Ferrer. This is a good performance by Peter O'Toole. Some good commentary by Eli Wallach and Wylter's daughter, herself now a director/producer. There is also the A&E's Biography short of Audrey Hepburn's life.

"True Blood" an early Jeff ("Lawnmowerman") Fahey lead vehicle. A fair example of teen gang warfare in NYC noir.

"Mystery Men" which seems to grow in my estimation as a good comedy each time I see it. A Darkhorse Comics based film from before Darkhorse became as respected as Marvel for its comics. A good rock music soundtrack rather than scored effort. Tom Waits hustling 90 yr old women is hilarious!

"Objective Burma" A good historical representation thrown together as a wartime recruitment and propaganda film starring Errol Flynn and some great character actors as his paratrooper squad. Bonus features are two recruiting shorts: "The Rear Gunner" with Burgess Meredith as a flying fortress tail gunner and "The Tanks Are Coming"

EDIT to add: Gracious1 inspired me to order "King of Kings" thank you. I will research acquiring the others mentioned here this week too.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 03 2012 06:23 AM)

#836123 - Fri Nov 02 2012 08:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Mystery Men" is one of the favourites around our house. So many great little moments.

#836609 - Sun Nov 04 2012 02:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'm still waiting to see "Mystery Men". looks like a fun movie.

Last night I was more or less "bed ridden" so watched 3 movies in a row:

1) Quantum of Solace
Even though I'd seen it before. Craig, as Bond, what's not to like? - even beaten to a pulp, he somehow still comes off as quintessential lol. The only part that bugs me about those first two movies is how much "M" distrusts Bond - I think they overemphasized that aspect more than they should have.

2) The King's Speech, for the first time.
I cried through most of it, although people much younger than me probably wouldn't understand why and

3) Melancholia. Complete waste of time in my opinion, unless you're wowed by artsy-fartsy visuals or are a fan of the so-called "acting abilities" of the "fang-y" Kirsten Dunst (which I am not).

#836612 - Sun Nov 04 2012 02:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jakeroo]
agony Offline

Administrator

I really loved "The King's Speech".

#836664 - Sun Nov 04 2012 07:08 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Adventures of Don Juan" starring Errol Flynn good costumes and sword fighting stunts and that's about it.

"Billy Jack" still a pertinent comment on society and that's a shame because the movie is forty years old or two generations by some measures.

"Prey" (2007) See "Melancholia" above but switch Weller for Dunst. I learned: fairly fresh lion turds are called scat and they are kinda warm to the touch. No sensory input was given for how they smell, though that was tested too.

Edit: hope you feel better Jakeroo. Too much good living got you down?

Edited by mehaul (Sun Nov 04 2012 07:10 PM)

#917165 - Tue Nov 13 2012 08:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

My kids talked me into watching "Cabin in the Woods", and I'll admit, although it took a while for me to sit through a lot that I'm not crazy about, it's brilliant, in its way.

#917582 - Wed Nov 14 2012 08:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas": a near perfect application of modern cinematic techniques by Ron Howard to relate the holiday rituals as analysized in a humourous way by Dr. Seuss. Jim Carrey certainly rivals his other heavy make-up role efforts as Wiploc in "Earthgirls Are Easy", as Stanley Ipkiss in "The Mask" and as the Riddler in "Batman Forever". This may be the best of them all. Overall it should be on everyone's holiday watch list.

"The Misfits": John Huston's collaboration with Arthur Miller which examines just what does it mean to be alive? Is vivacity something you can waste? How come some seem to have more of it? Can it be contagious? Is it something that can or needs to be destroyed (as suggested by the mustang enigma) for the rest of society to be able to cope? The last screen appearances by two of Hollywood's greatest icons, screen legends, Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. After they'd played opposite each other could any other duo match the life they gave to their characters? Sad that there is no commentary or bonus extras on the DVD I watched. If there was, I'd probably still be watching it.

#917872 - Thu Nov 15 2012 07:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
ladymacb29 Offline

Just saw the second Sherlock Holmes movie that came out a year ago - very good. I thought the actress who played the gypsy was very good as well. And I even thought the story moved along a little better in this one than the first movie.

#950160 - Mon Nov 19 2012 07:33 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just enjoyed two well known films: "Some Like It Hot" and "Fargo"

I am stunned at the resemblence of two characters to each other: Joe E Brown and William H Macy (why they both even use a middle initial in their stage name!). Having recently watched "Mystery Men", I can imagine Joe E Brown as 'The Shoveler'!

And in watching the credits from "Fargo" I had my next film chosen for me. The early character who is the Highway Patrol officer's killing witness, who survives his own auto crash only to be gunned down with a shot to the back, is credited to be that funny symbol that The Performer Formerly Known As Prince uses! I fortunately recently got "Purple Rain" and was at or near the top of my next 'to view' list anyway.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Nov 19 2012 07:36 AM)

#950166 - Mon Nov 19 2012 08:04 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Just about my favourite British film of all time. It summed up the old-time British way of thinking just about perfectly and (to an extent) foresaw the change in British society that WWII was bound to wrought. I'm always amused by the fact that it was commissioned as a propaganda piece by the Ministry of War and then banned by the same office for being unpatriotic!

"The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp"

Considering it was made in England in 1942-43, a very nuanced look at war and soldiers. Fantastic performances, and Deborah Kerr is radiant, especially in the 1902 role.

#950228 - Mon Nov 19 2012 12:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Colonel Blimp"

I was taken by this event described in the notes with the DVD - I'm copying here from Roger Ebert's review, as I've taken the DVD back to the library. Walbrook is the Austrian actor who played the main character's German friend.

Quote:
That led to an encounter between Churchill and Walbrook, recounted by the British film critic Derek Malcolm: "Churchill's reaction was furious. He is said to have stormed into Walbrook's dressing room when he was appearing in a West End play demanding: 'What's this film supposed to mean? I suppose you regard it as good propaganda for Britain.' Anton's reply was quite telling, he said 'No people in the world other than the English would have had the courage, in the midst of war, to tell the people such unvarnished truth'."

#950654 - Wed Nov 21 2012 07:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

I've just watched 'Winter's Bone'. An extraordinary and totally gripping film: the lead Jennifer Lawrence ('The Burning Plain', 'X-Men: First Class', 'The Hunger Games') is developing into a truly great actor.

But OMG is Missouri really THAT depressing?!! shocked

#951139 - Fri Nov 23 2012 10:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: dsimpy]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Anatomy of a Murder" - 1959, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Remick, George C Scott looking impossibly young. The most interesting thing to me about this courtroom drama of a rape and murder case is how they got around the Hays code. It's startlingly frank, for the kind of movie it is. Also, although there is a little gloss put on it for appearances, it's pretty obvious that the "bad" guys got away with it (another Hays Office no-no) - she wasn't really raped, and he wasn't really temporarily insane.

Also interesting to see how societal attitudes toward a free and easy young woman have changed - and, depressingly, how much they haven't.

#951367 - Sat Nov 24 2012 01:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

"Fire and Ice"

Edit to add: Much better than I thought it would be--I'm always afraid I won't be able to follow things like this

Edited by Jazmee27 (Sat Nov 24 2012 09:17 PM)

#951372 - Sat Nov 24 2012 02:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I have just watched 'The Life of Pi', and having not read the book,(yet), cannot offer an opinion as to how it compares, but after reading an article about how the book was supposedly unfilmable, i must say that Ang Lee did a beautiful job. The cinematography is astounding, the story heart wrenching and uplifting at the same time.
The casting of relative unknowns was a masterful stroke, as it allowed you to concentrate your attention on the story, not who was playing who.
It has to be my favorite movie of the year, by far.

#951409 - Sat Nov 24 2012 09:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: george48]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

'Dungeons and Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness'

Edit to add: I was pulled in right from the beginning, when the book's prior history was discussed.

Edited by Jazmee27 (Sat Nov 24 2012 09:19 PM)

#951410 - Sat Nov 24 2012 09:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Marty" from 1955 with Ernest Borgnine.

Really love this movie - it's low key, it's simple, but it's got a lot of heart.

#951689 - Mon Nov 26 2012 10:30 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"How Green Was My Valley" from 1941.

This one didn't hold up so well for me. I now know what a Welsh accent sounds like, for example, and it doesn't sound much like any of these. I'm also a lot less sentimental in my fifties than I was in my teens, when I saw this first.

I know more about film-making, now, though, and can appreciate how beautifully made this movie is - I'm sure the first time I saw it, I didn't even notice all the bit with Angharad's veil at her wedding, for example. And the singing!

All in all, I'd say that if you haven't seen this, you probably should, sort of as a beautifully filmed time machine, back to a kind of movie they don't make anymore.

#951723 - Mon Nov 26 2012 03:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Purple Rain" - Prince, Apollonia, Morris Day, Olga Karlatos, Clarence Williams III
Did you know that Prince wrote most of 'The Time''s music?

Pirates of the Golden Age - A two disc, four movie collection ("Against All Flags" / "Buccaneer's Girl" / "Yankee Buccaneer" / "Double Crossbones") Errol Flynn, Maureen O'Hara, Yvonne de Carlo, Antony Quinn, Don O'Connor, Jeff Chandler. All from Universal studios. Each had their own model ship when used in the sea tank but it was the same deck shown in all four movies for actor's staging!

"To Catch a Thief" - Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Jesse Royce Landis, John Williams. One of Hitchcock's great use of camera perspective to add suspense. And, of course there's Kelly in her future Riviera setting to appreciate. It's sad that some of her big 'action' scenes were racing her car through the twisty streets. It reminded me so much of her demise it was almost too hard to watch.

"Roman Holiday" - Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, Eddie Albert, Hartley Power. A good companion period piece to "To Catch a Thief" showing what post WWII was like on the Riviera and in Rome.

"Coonskin" (or "Street Fight") - Ralph Bakshi's mix of real footage and animation, with Barry White and Scatman Crothers.

The film "Against All Flags" (1952), starring Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara, I believe has a speaking role for Ernest Borgnine in it. He had just signed with Paramount but this film is from Universal and he would have had to use a different name or else ruin his other contract. The role was as the booty slave auctioneer and then as the pirate who discovers Flynn sabotaging the cannons, for which EB is killed. The way he strutted around doing the aution and the fighting stances he took are exactly the mannerisms he used as Sgt. 'Fastso' Judson in "From Here to Eternity" a year later. He seemed destined to play the heavy. EB's bio doesn't list "Against...Flags" as one he was in but maybe he enjoyed keeping this little secret? There are close ups of his face and the voice is the same. I think I saw tooth gaps in there too. Of course I may be wrong on this, but hours of searching hasn't produced the name of the auction character or a cast member who wasn't listed in many other films. It's like he was a speaking uncredited character (which was known to happen in studio crossovers). More looking will follow...

A bit of trivia to titilate: During the filming of "Against...Flags", Flynn broke his ankle and in the hiatus created by his recuperation, Universal threw together another movie, "Yankee Buccaneer" with Jeff Chandler to keep the sets in use!

If only someone would re-invent the Pirate film genre. I bet a lot of people would watch them (he he he)

Borgnine speculation: Here is a scenario that might fit the events. EB started the film for Universal. He got his scenes in the can. Flynn broke his ankle, putting that project on hold. EB signs with Paramount. Universal finishes "AAF" but cannot use the name of an actor under contract exclusively to another studio. Paramount decides to not credit the part at all to avoid legal issues. They also decide it would be to costly to reshoot his scenes (both include Flynn) with a stand in, so they leave him in but without recognition.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Nov 29 2012 01:30 PM)

#951995 - Tue Nov 27 2012 02:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: george48]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: george48
I have just watched 'The Life of Pi', and having not read the book,(yet), cannot offer an opinion as to how it compares, but after reading an article about how the book was supposedly unfilmable, i must say that Ang Lee did a beautiful job. The cinematography is astounding, the story heart wrenching and uplifting at the same time.
The casting of relative unknowns was a masterful stroke, as it allowed you to concentrate your attention on the story, not who was playing who.
It has to be my favorite movie of the year, by far.

Wow, that's a rave review if ever there was one. smile

I'm sticking that straight on my "to watch" list.

#952853 - Sat Dec 01 2012 01:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Exorcist".

I wasn't too impressed, to be honest. The first forty minutes or so really dragged, for one thing, and I kept being distracted and pulled out of the moment by stupid little stuff. As an example, hours (days?) after the famous pea soup scene, Regan's face and bedding is still stained and I'm thinking "You just leave the child up there in her own filth, and we're supposed to think of you as a loving and concerned mother? Is she wearing diapers?" which is not, I think, what I was supposed to be thinking about just then. Not the masterpiece of its genre I was led to expect.

#953040 - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Rosemary's Baby"

Enjoyed this one much more, happy to call it a classic in its genre. And Ruth Gordon is just so wonderful.

#953067 - Sun Dec 02 2012 05:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Mothman Prophecies" (2002) with Richard Gere, Laura Linney and Will Patton. An interesting look at the phenomenon of angels without any ascribed religious belief. There are Christmas lights, trees and wrapped presents but no link is drawn between the angels acting on behalf of a specific theology. The film is based on events recorded and reported surrounding the collapse of the Silver Bridge in Point Pleasant, West Virginia that took 46 lives. Point Pleasant is one of three municipalities at the confluence of the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers. Before the tragedy, many local people were 'visited' by an entity they called the Mothman. That entity gave some precognition to one resident about plane crashes and earthquakes. Have to wrap this up. My lepidopteran friend says the sky is falling. He speaks with a Mayan accent so I'd better heed his warnings. If you survive, watch this talking/movie.

#953118 - Sun Dec 02 2012 01:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Last night I watched, "Star Trek: Nemesis". I had completely forgotten some very important plot points, not to mention the ending. So it was almost like watching it for the first time!

#953239 - Sun Dec 02 2012 09:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Harvey"

Haven't seen this one since I was a little kid, what a wonderful movie.

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

#953586 - Tue Dec 04 2012 03:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
ladymacb29 Offline

Originally Posted By: gracious1
Last night I watched, "Star Trek: Nemesis". I had completely forgotten some very important plot points, not to mention the ending. So it was almost like watching it for the first time!

The best part of that movie was seeing Janeway outrank Picard wink

#953675 - Tue Dec 04 2012 09:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Harvey": ordered today!

#953859 - Wed Dec 05 2012 06:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Manchurian Candidate" the original one, from 1962.

Hard to know what to say about this one. The performances are so good,and the premise is so ridiculous. Post hypnotic suggestion just doesn't work that way. Women picking up men on the train doesn't work that way, either - we would consider a real modern woman who behaves the way Janet Leigh does in this movie to be insane, or at the very least to have real issues with her relationships with men.

But, dang, the performances are good. At the end I was thinking "Man, what a good movie" even though through much of it I'd been thinking "Ah, this is just so stupid".

#953974 - Thu Dec 06 2012 09:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

We went to the new James Bond movie the other night. "Skyfall" was really the best Bond in the series, in my opinion.

#954101 - Thu Dec 06 2012 10:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Sons of Katie Elder"

Good basic John Wayne western. I always like Dean Martin in a western, and Dennis Hopper plays a nasty little snot to perfection. James Gregory is the bad guy - he was one of the bad guys in "Manchurian Candidate" too.

#954209 - Fri Dec 07 2012 09:08 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

The last movie I watched was Gus van Sant's Last Days. A film loosely based on the death of Kurt Cobain.

-Nam

Edited by Nammage (Fri Dec 07 2012 09:10 AM)

#954524 - Sat Dec 08 2012 08:06 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Nammage]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Patton"

I'm not really a big fan of war movies, but this is quite something. I'm becoming a huge fan of George C Scott - in the last little while I've seen him in "The Hustler", "Anatomy of a Murder" and now "Patton" and every performance has been outstanding.

#954540 - Sun Dec 09 2012 02:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

For some good early Scott work, you might enjoy "Petulia" with Julie Christie. I know I enjoyed it. Not a great work but there's some good acting. And it has some Janis Joplin and Greatful Dead cameos.

#954588 - Sun Dec 09 2012 10:15 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

Last night I watched one of those rare beasts - a film so bad that it bordered on the brilliant called 'Iron Sky'.

In this masterpiece, a colony of Nazis, on the moon since 1945, are planning an invasion of Earth. The world's people look toward the US President (a Sarah Palin look-alike) for leadership... I shall say no more but can recommend it as a serious spoof (is there such a thing?) that I found quite funny and immensely entertaining!

#954592 - Sun Dec 09 2012 10:57 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: sisterseagull]
agony Offline

Administrator

Oh, my son told me about that one, sisterseagull - he thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

I'll check that one out, mehaul - I think I'll be having a little Scott film festival here over the next couple months.

#954898 - Tue Dec 11 2012 08:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Seven Years in Tibet" - Brad Pitt, David Thewlis, B.D. Wong, Mako, Danny Denzongpa, Jamyang Jamtsho Wangchuk, Lhakpa Tsamchoe
The film was enjoyable and had beautiful scenic vistas (mountains from all around the world)except for when Pitt let out his german version of an accent. Why? The character wasn't speaking English. A fair telling of the Chinese takeover of Tibet in the 40s.

"Little Shop of Horrors" - Rick Moranis, Ellen Greene, Steve Martin, Frank Gardenia, Jim Belushi, John Candy, Frank Oz (dir)
A humorous take-off of the off Broadway hit musical based on the 2-day movie shoot by Roger Corman.

"Epic Movie" - Kal Penn, Adam Campbell, Jennifer Coolidge, Jayma Mays, Faune Chambers, Fred Willard.
A spoof done as well as spoofs are done.

"Airplane II: The Sequel" - Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty, Lloyd Bridges, Peter Graves, William Shatner
Some repeat jokes and scene re-uses but ohterwise a fair spoof of the original.

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" - Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone, Claude Rains
One of the first epics Action/Adventure films done in full color. A classic swashbuckler.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Dec 11 2012 08:14 AM)

#954900 - Tue Dec 11 2012 08:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Posted watched movies in the thread as of 12/11/12 in order of posting. (Discussion posts not recorded.) A location can be approximated by the 33 postings. (On average, thirty-three titles per page) Sorry, there might not be quotemarks, italics or underlining employed and the single apostrophes must be included in copies then deleted and switched to quotes so I didn't change them either. Has anyone noticed using those single quote marks makes going to Wiki's search difficult because they aren't recognized or ignored?

1.Insomnia
2.War Horse
3.The Kids are Alright
4.Abraham Lincoln', Vampire Hunter
5.The Burning Plain
6.Where the Heart Is
7.My Cousin Rachel
8.The Tenth Man
9.Jesus Christ Superstar
10.Rebecca
11.K 19 - The Widowmaker
12.The Scout
13.Batman (version unstated)
14.The Reunion
15.The Condemned
16.12 Rounds
17.the Guard
18.The Avengers
19.Ironman
20.The Hulk
21.Captain America
22.London River
23.Das Boot
24.Pan's Labyrinth
25.Life is Beautiful
26.Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
27.Three Fugitives
28.BOTTLE SHOCK
29.DOSTANA
30.Summer Lovers
31.Splash
32.Thor
33.We Need To Talk About Kevin
34.The Manchurian Candidate, the Denzel Washington
35.The Birds
36.French Postcards
37.MY NAME IS KHAN
38.The Kingdom
39.Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing
40.Titus (Andronicus)
41.Boondock Saints
42.Fail Safe
43.The Descendents
44.The Private Life of Henry VIII
45.The Rainmaker
46.Battleship
47.The Princess Bride
48.Sweet and Lowdown
49.The Italian Job (remake)
50.In Bruges
51.Superman II
52.Superman III
53.Superman IV
54.Sixteen Candles
55.The Mask
56.Rent
57.the first seven "Hellraiser" films
58.Dangerous Liaisons
59.Young Adult
60.The original "Italian Job"
61.The Iron Lady
62.The Hustler
63.Dog Day Afternoon
64.Defendor
65.Wait until Dark
66.Paris, Texas
67.House of Games
68.The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
69.'The Book of Eli'
70.Take the Money and Run
71.Teen Witch
72.Matilda
73.Zombieland
74.'Shaun of the Dead'
75.'Up
76.'The Emperor's New Groove'
77.'Wall-E'
78.Serpico
79.Tremors 4
80.Frankenstein
81.Electoral Dysfunction
82.King of Kings
83.Sleeping Beauty
84.Star Odyssey
85.Prisoners of the Lost Universe
86.How to Steal a Million
87.True Blood
88.Objective Burma
89.Mystery Men
90.Quantum of Solace
91.The King's Speech
92.Melancholia
93."The Adventures of Don Juan" starring Errol Flynn
94.Billy Jack
95.Prey
96.Cabin in the Woods
97.How the Grinch Stole Christmas (not the animated one)
98.The Misfits
99.Sherlock Holmes (2011)
100.Some Like It Hot
101.Fargo
102.'Winter's Bone'
103.Anatomy of a Murder
104.Fire and Ice
105.'The Life of Pi'
106.'Dungeons and Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness'
107.Marty
108.How Green Was My Valley
109.Purple Rain
110.Pirates of the Golden Age- 4 movie features
111.To Catch a Thief
112.Roman Holiday
113."Coonskin" (or "Street Fight")
114.The Exorcist
115.Rosemary's Baby
116.The Mothman Prophecies
117.Star Trek: Nemesis
118.Harvey
119."The Manchurian Candidate" the original
120.Skyfall
121.The Sons of Katie Elder
122.Last Days
123.Patton
124.Iron Sky
125.Seven Years in Tibet
126.Little Shop of Horrors
127.Epic Movie
128.Airplane II: The Sequel
129.The Adventures of Robin Hood - w/ Errol Flynn

Edited by mehaul (Tue Dec 11 2012 09:25 PM)

#954907 - Tue Dec 11 2012 10:54 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

There are some good movies in that list.

#954966 - Tue Dec 11 2012 06:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

I just sat here (again) and watched the wonderful 'Forrest Gump' (again) and found my eyes welling up (again)... That Tom Hanks is one helluva 'n actor and what a film, just awesome, so touching

#955104 - Wed Dec 12 2012 02:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: sisterseagull]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Going over bonus material of the 65th Anniversary DVD of "The Adventures of Robin Hood", I came across this wonderful trivial tidbit:
The horse ridden by Maid Marian (Olivia de Havilland) on her entrance in the caravan through Sherwood Forest was a Palomino that would later be owned by Roy Rogers and then known as Trigger!
From the Legacy paragraph in the Wikipedia entry for the film:
"Trigger (then named Golden Cloud) was the horse ridden by Olivia de Havilland in the film. Roy Rogers admired the horse so much that he bought Trigger to use in his own films. This eventually made Trigger one of the most famous animals in show business."

Another clip from the bonus shows a scene shot later - to fill exposition and sync it with the visual tale - required Flynn and Patric Knowles (Will Scarlet) to enter Sherwood in the opening scenes. The clip was in the bonus material to point out that the scene was shot in a different location (Warner Ranch) than all the other filming. But the scene clearly shows that Knowles is riding the Palomino later ridden by de Havilland. The scene ends with the two horses, side by side, jumping synchronously over a fallen log which represented the edge of the forest. Seems Trigger was ridden by both de Havilland and Knowles in the film. There are two or three other scenes showing a Palomino being ridden by other horsemen in various scenes. My final review of the film felt like a Where's Waldo exercise looking for that Golden Cloud to flash on the screen.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Dec 14 2012 11:36 PM)

#955111 - Wed Dec 12 2012 02:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

"3 Godfathers"

Highly sentimental but enjoyable John Ford/John Wayne western about three bad guys being chased by a posse across the desert who make a promise to a dying woman that they will care for her newborn. Great visuals - watch the smoke and the dust.

#955154 - Wed Dec 12 2012 04:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Last night I saw “Fatal Reunion.” I first saw it a year ago—then, over the summer, I saw a different [older, I think] version. That day in summer, I didn’t even watch the rest—but the one last night was the version I liked, so I watched to the end.

#955203 - Wed Dec 12 2012 06:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

There are some good movies in that list.

Yes, indeed!

And yesterday I saw "Star Trek: The Motion Picture." Now I remember why it's my favorite Star Trek movie; it's the most like the original series, and everybody still looks likes themselves (and Shatner is still handsome). And it is more like what sci-fi used to be; not action-adventure-fantasy in space but really science fiction.

Tonight I'm watching a strange little movie from the 1940s called "Flight From Destiny". A dying professor plots the murder of a woman who is ruining his friends' marriage, because of his theory of socially necessary murder.

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Dec 12 2012 06:27 PM)

#955209 - Wed Dec 12 2012 07:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Loc: Canton
Ohio USA    
"Chico and Rita" ... one of those I expected to be mostly indifferent about, but got happily rewarded when I completely enjoyed it. And ended up watching it twice! Insanely fine music and incredible animation, too.

#955236 - Wed Dec 12 2012 10:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Gatsby722]
agony Offline

Administrator

The 1970 "Jane Eyre" with George C Scott.

I'm not a big fan of Mr Rochester, never found this story as romantic as many do, but I'd say Scott does as good a job as can be done, making the character seem sympathetic.

#955612 - Fri Dec 14 2012 10:44 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Oranges and Sunshine"

As a film, so-so. As a document of a story that needed to be told, incredibly moving. Watching it today of all days, my heart just breaks for all the children who are harmed.

#955743 - Sat Dec 15 2012 09:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Best Years of our Lives"

Story of veterans returning from the war and not finding things the way they expected. Made in 1946, it's not very modern in style, but very modern indeed in the issues it deals with. Doesn't pull any punches - I really liked this movie.

#955784 - Sun Dec 16 2012 11:05 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

"The Exorcist".

I wasn't too impressed, to be honest. The first forty minutes or so really dragged, for one thing, and I kept being distracted and pulled out of the moment by stupid little stuff. As an example, hours (days?) after the famous pea soup scene, Regan's face and bedding is still stained and I'm thinking "You just leave the child up there in her own filth, and we're supposed to think of you as a loving and concerned mother? Is she wearing diapers?" which is not, I think, what I was supposed to be thinking about just then. Not the masterpiece of its genre I was led to expect.

I've only just read this review and it's fabulous & hilarious. All reviews should be from this point of view. laugh grin

#955902 - Mon Dec 17 2012 12:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Age of Innocence"

I've avoided Edith Wharton all these years because I had a feeling I wouldn't like her, but now I think I need to read some of her books - this was astonishing.

Has Daniel Day-Lewis ever been in a bad movie?

#955923 - Mon Dec 17 2012 04:59 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Nope, I don't think he has now you mention it!

#955954 - Mon Dec 17 2012 09:52 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Over the weekend, saw two films which I’d watched before, but missed the beginning or end (or both). First: “Taken From Me,” about a woman whose ex-husband gets her permission to take their son on vacation to Florida, when his real plans are to abduct the boy and take him to another country, then make all sorts of claims about what an unfit mother she is. The second movie was “The Elizabeth Smart Story,” which is the one where I missed the beginning (and, subsequently, lost interest). That’s why I made sure to watch it closely this time). I was reminded, the first time I watched, of a book I had read in which the villain said something similar (if not the exact line). Both films, I found, were pretty easy for me to follow the story line,and the portrayal of emotion was very realistic, not overly done.

#956342 - Wed Dec 19 2012 10:45 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Hollow Man" (2000) with Kevin Bacon, Elisabeth Shue and Josh Brolin. The story sets the exposition of how a modern day invisible man is made and some bit of a story of the troubles it brings him. Done by Paul Verhoeven, master of modern cinematic techniques, there are few scenes without digital participation. The scenes of becoming in- and visible are quite stunning.

"Hollow Man 2" (2006) with Christian Slater, Peter Facinelli, Laura Regan is the direct to DVD sequel produced by Verhoeven. Once he figured out where costly effects were not required to tell the invisible man story, he put this together. It is a good story, with just enough visual effects added to convince the viewer of the activities of the unseen.

Also beginning in 2000 there was a Sci-Fi Channel series called "The Invisible Man" which ran for two seasons that relied on the same digital image manipulations (sans the gory transition phases) as the first Hollow Man. It was an amusing look at what a government agent may encounter using his abilities. In this vehicle it was played that the government saw not much advantage to the ability and relegated the operation to a backwater agency.

#956535 - Thu Dec 20 2012 02:47 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Sweet Smell of Success"

Wow. When Burt Lancaster plays a bad guy, he's bad all right. Tony Curtis is so slimy he glitters. This is a great movie, full of wonderful little touches. Great dialogue, slick wet city streets, all that texture that you only get with black and white. And a couple of thoroughly nasty human beings.

#957009 - Sun Dec 23 2012 02:04 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
"Rock of Ages"

Whoops ... there went 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back cry. The music was a rather fun trip down memory lane and recalling that we really DID walk around with that much hair on our heads back then was worth a giggle, but the script was painfully bad and the love story just didn't feel right, at least not to me. And I refer to the love story between the two young singers, not the one between Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin (?). The latter coupling didn't feel right either, of course, but that was because they were both so annoying. It's pretty telling, and kinda scary, when the following statement sums up a movie being watched at my house: Tom Cruise was the best thing in it?! Ugh.

#957032 - Sun Dec 23 2012 05:48 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Gatsby722]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

lol! (But surely the inclusion of Russell Brand was a tell-tale sign that it would be bad?)

"Still of the Night"

Oh, this film is so tantalising! One moment brilliant and intriguing, the next bizarrely boring and switch-offable. It's a psychological thriller, but really it's like a pale version of a Hitchcock film. It should have been a classic but something was wrong and I cannot decide what.

Perhaps it was Roy Scheider - he seemed a bit wooden. & The plot was a bit confused. It reminded me of a "choose your own adventure" story in that it was full of twists (great) but I felt that not all the twists and turns linked up with each other. Meryl Streep was her usual Meryl Streepness of good, even if a bit hammy at times.

All that said, I enjoyed it! Worth watching if there's nothing else on.

From wiki:

"---When Streep appeared on the Bravo talk show, "Watch What Happens Live," in August, 2012, host Andy Cohen asked her to “Name one bad film that you have made.” Streep replied, “Still of the Night.” “What was that about?” asked Cohen. Streep replied, “Never mind.”---"

Of course, if you are the fabulous Meryl Streep a "bad" film might be what anyone else would call an okay one.

Incidentally, following on from Mehaul's observation that Joe E Brown and William H Macy were separated at birth, Roy Scheider was born to play Groucho Marx!

Edited by Chavs (Sun Dec 23 2012 08:08 AM)

#957051 - Sun Dec 23 2012 08:26 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Postman", one of Kevin Costner's post apocalyptic/dystopian self produced/directed/lead efforts. I think this may be one of his better ones since he emphasizes the minor characters a little more than in his other works. I was distraught when the credits didn't reveal the narrator/Hope Postman's identity. There was a good cameo performance from Peggy Lipton of "Mod Squad" fame. Giovani Rebisi is excellent portraying his obnoxious character. Horseman work played a big part in the successful presentation. The scenery of Northern Arizona through Southern Washington and Oregon is breathtaking at times (just remember that there was a lot of digital sky manipulation done.)
A propos to recent discussions about mass shootings is the segment of the movie where the Postman and Abby arrive at Bridge City and the Mayor, Tom Petty, tells them that Bridge City is a gun free city. Good idea but would have fallen prey to Bethlehem (Will Patton's evil General)'s artillery and superior fire power. No, a post WW3 world would need a well armed militia, IMHO.

Edit to add:
"The Man with the Golden Arm" dir: Otto Preminger, with Frank Sinatra, Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak, Arnold Stang and Darren McGavin. Remember Arnold Stang of the unusual face who did Chunky candy bar commercials and was the original voice of the Honey-nut Cheerios Bee? Sorry for the divert. This film starts as looking like an Alcoa (another Stang backed product) Theater TV presentation in the way the sets are lit and the scenery of Chicago is noticably a stage set. Once the acting of the cast begins in earnest you quickly dismiss those failings. The story rolls on with will he or won't he (Sinatra) do heroin)? Will he screw up his drumming audition? Will he catch his faking wife in her deceptions? Will he go back to dealing cards in back room poker games? Will life drag him back to being the jigsaw puzzle piece it has decided he should be? Can he kick the habits that have built to the climax? Tune in next week when Victor Borge hosts our cavalcade of European Stars in the next Alcoa Presents! Really, this film was a barrier breaker that even went to the courts to allow having it shown in theaters because of the drug use depicted! The Board of Standards had no qualms about the violence in refusing to accredit the film, just the drugs! The animated lead credits tableaux became a Preminger hallmark. Finally, continuing a minor theme in these postings, Doro Merande playing opposite Stang looks like Stang's twin sister (Oh the chuckles the casting crew must have had). Merande playing Vi is a Margaret Hamilton look alike too.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Dec 25 2012 03:27 AM)

#957339 - Tue Dec 25 2012 03:35 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just watched "French Postcards" again. What a treat. There is a Christmas scene where Valerie Quennessen goes on a double date (her and two guys) which leads to the "No, right door!" line of dialogue. And it is joyous to see how wonderfully Blanche Baker has aged through the years. And Paris...
Joy Noel.

#957481 - Wed Dec 26 2012 10:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

I can think of a "bad" DDLewis movie. It's called "Stars and Bars". It's supposed to be a comedy (and it might be to folks in Georgia, but I confess I didn't get/wasn't aware of all the "inside jokes" when I watched it). Lewis wasn't "awful" particularly, but the movie was and I think there's a reason he never did comedy before or since lol

Last movie I watched? "Harvey", because I make a point of viewing it every December : ) (have it on VHS and DVD since we don't have a VHS machine anymore lol)

#958654 - Tue Jan 01 2013 08:42 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Catwoman" Halle Berry, Benjamin Bratt and Sharon Stone, a cinematically well done presentation of an alternate version of the Catwoman myth. If anyone wants to see how a silk screen camera filter can make a woman look so much younger on screen just check out Sharon Stone's shots in this one (Note it was a need of the story though, I'm sure not her imperative, I speculate).

AND, THE 1st 3rd POSTING: "Harvey", which earned an Academy Award for Josephine Hull, a glimpse into another myth, this time of the Celtic origin Pooka (also see puca and pouque), a mischievous animal manifestation that can take many forms, a giant white rabbit in this case. If only we all, or at least more of us, were of the Elwood P. Dowd mien.

Edit to add: In researching Pooka I found that "Donnie Darko" is a tale wrapped around the Pooka existence myth. Have ordered a copy and will watch it soon I hope.

#958658 - Tue Jan 01 2013 09:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
We went and saw "Looper" yesterday. It was good with a twist.

#958733 - Tue Jan 01 2013 04:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Mehaul: You're kinda "weird" like me (I mean that in the best way possible), so you'll probably enjoy Donnie Darko. The movie is pretty much left entirely up to the viewer's interpretation (I wish more of them would do so, rather than "preach" to me/the choir or beat me over the head with platitudes lol).

Been too busy with company/family over the last two weeks, so haven't watched anything lately except non-stop seasonal reruns of HBO/etc series (some of which I had missed previously, so it was nice to catch up on/make "sense" of shows like True Blood, Lost Girl, Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers et al)

The only "real" movie I watched that I hadn't seen before was "Nativity!" - a really hokey but surprisingly endearing movie about a British elementary school teacher and a Christmas play.

As for movies (at the theatre) that I'd LIKE to see is "The Hobbit". However, I'm disappointed because while it IS only one book, it is apparently going to be THREE movies. Wow, take a break Mr. Jackson. It's already starting to smell like Star Wars prequels. Sigh (because I LOVED the book) it should have been released as ONE movie, BEFORE the 3 that were released originally. I can't say how annoyed I was in the first film that you already knew who "Strider" was. And, if he had done them "in order, then my husband (who doesn't read much and certainly not Tolkien) wouldn't have assumed that the first movie in the series actually "ended" and wouldn't have stomped out of the theatre annoyed at wasting 3 hours of his time LOL

#958853 - Wed Jan 02 2013 08:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
And, if he had done them "in order, then my husband (who doesn't read much and certainly not Tolkien) wouldn't have assumed that the first movie in the series actually "ended" and wouldn't have stomped out of the theatre annoyed at wasting 3 hours of his time LOL

Gee, I could have written that sentence except changed the word "husband" to "mother"! laugh

#959240 - Fri Jan 04 2013 10:52 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"State Fair" (1945) - Jeanne Crain, Dana Andrews, Dick Haymes, Vivian Blaine, Fay Bainter and Charles Winninger - A Rogers and Hammerstein product. What could be said to the deficit of one of their musicals? A bit of USA State Fair background if someone watches this who is unfamiliar with the event: Most State Fairs are run by counties in each state (meaning a state with 50 counties might have 50 state fairs); They are for exhibiting farm products usually (produce, livestock, arts and crafts, cooking recipes, hobbies and other regional society interests) and give awards based on decisions by learned judges; There is usually a Carnival of rides and amusements that set up adjacent to the fair (a reason the fair dates are staggered by agreement to allow the carnies to move from venue to venue). Now when you hear the opening song's lyrics of "Our State Fair is the best State Fair in our State" you might understand the expectations that came with the arrival of the Fair dates (most often in the fall harvest season). I just loved that the state of Iowa is pronounced Eye-owe-way rather than Eye-owe-wah (do the locals actually use that pronunciation?) as the theme in one of the songs.

#959294 - Fri Jan 04 2013 05:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've been watching quite a bit of Dana Andrews in the last year or so - I can't decide if he's a good actor, or if I just kinda like the movies he's in.

#959301 - Fri Jan 04 2013 06:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

I know exactly what you mean!

#959558 - Sun Jan 06 2013 06:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"A Boy and His Dog" (1975)
Don Johnson, Susanne Benton, Tiger, Tim McIntire, Jason Robards, Jr.
A wonderful telling of several connected short stories authored by Harlan Ellison. It covers a few days in the life of young man scratching out an existence in a surrealistic, post-apocalyptic, dystopian world brought about by the five minute WW-IV. He relies on telepathically communicating with a dog who was a result of some parapsych... well that's giving too much away. You have to research the books/stories to find out how they got that way. It is just a given you must accept as part of the tale. For all you Hannibal L fans out there, it has a delicious ending! If you've enjoyed Mark Hamill's "Slipstream" (1989) or Sandahl Bergman's "She" (1982) versions of strange futures, you might enjoy this one.

Edit to add: My DVD had a mix-up of the audio sync. The sound precedes the motion by a good half-second. Maybe other copies are fixed but I found it added to the disfunction of the world being depicted, as if the Nuclear War had effected the speed of sound somehow.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Jan 06 2013 10:08 PM)

#959584 - Sun Jan 06 2013 09:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Big Red One" from 1980. Pretty good WWII movie - I betcha Spielberg watched this before filming "Saving Private Ryan", especially the Omaha Beach section. Lee Marvin is fantastic as the Sergeant.

#959927 - Tue Jan 08 2013 08:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Notorious". Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, Claude Rains. I find the whole thing is spoiled a bit for me because the relationship between Grant and Bergman is so mired in the gender politics of the forties. I could see a young person watching this movie now and not being able to figure out what is going on - why did he do that? Why did she do that? We just don't have the concept of the "soiled woman" anymore, not the way they did then. Fantastic performance from Claude Rains, though - he's the bad guy, but he's the character you feel most for.

"Out of the Past" Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, Jane Greer. Now in this one, the bad girl is really a bad girl, no confusion. This is classic film noir - they must have lit 200 cigarettes during this movie, and Mitchum hardly ever takes off his trench coat. Loved every minute of it.

#959929 - Tue Jan 08 2013 09:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Just the other night I watched "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (2005). It was brilliant.

#960166 - Wed Jan 09 2013 08:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Brief Encounter" Made within a few years of the last few I've watched, but so very different. I've never seen this before, and knew nothing about it, so came to it "cold", without a lot of preconceptions - read up on it later. I can see why it's been mocked, but I also see the strength that made it well enough known that it *could* be mocked. I have to say, I enjoyed it very much.

#960169 - Wed Jan 09 2013 09:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Donnie Darko" (2001)
Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore, Patrick Swayze, Noah Wyle
I see it as a statement of what Purgatory may possibly be: a short lived tangent lifespan. I also found it thoughtful that even in this tangent, once the Psychoanalyst made Donnie aware that he was sane by revealing ____, she seems to have robbed Donnie of his access to Frank, the Pooka bunny being. I sensed some S King in here in the bad boys of "It" and the bad boys of Middlesex Ridge. All Donnie's acquaintances were ending up in nasty situations (teacher fired, enemy counselor going pedophilic, Grandma Death's burglary...). The expanded myth of "The Philosophy of Time Travel" is an interesting read if you do some research. For me all was explained except for where the second plane jet engine came from. Did it mean a second tangent life was beginning for one of the other characters? Maybe that is revealed in "Donnie Darko 2". This film is as good as "The Mothman Prophecies" as a non-religious look at ideas about death's mechanics.

Edit to add: In the bonus commentary by Richard Kelly, the director, he had Mrs. Darko reading S King's "It" in an opening scene! Another scene, where Donnie is shooting bottles with a pellet rifle is much like the sling shot practice/decide who's the best shot out of "It". The sequel movie, "S. Darko" is the telling of Donnie's younger sister, Samantha's, tale (played by the same actress, Daveigh Chase).

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jan 10 2013 02:12 PM)

#960268 - Thu Jan 10 2013 09:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

The last two films I saw were "The Artist" and "Avengers Assemble".

Both highly hyped films but only one lived up to the billing for me; The Artist. A very well-made and imaginative film with engaging performances and a cracking soundtrack.

Avengers was a disappointment. I probably should have expected to have been underwhelmed as I prefer my movies a little more grown up but I found it a little too try hard - particularly the near-constant quipping from Robert Downey Jr. Some good action sequences, some stunning CGI and the performances of Mark Ruffalo and the bloke playing Loki made it watchable but I won't hurry back to watch the inevitable sequel(s). Not a patch on Dark Knight Rises for me.

#960621 - Sat Jan 12 2013 02:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Prêt-à-Porter (Ready to Wear) (1994)
Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Julia Roberts, Tim Robbins, Kim Basinger and dozens more
A wonderful light comedy that follows several subplots. The drawback is that there is no main plot. Perhaps that is appropriate considering that the subject matter is the annual fashion reveals of Paris (someday, mehaul, someday) which is a madhouse of individual couturier expressions. Director, writer, producer Robert Altman I think managed to bring out the cartoonish "Popeye" to the reality of the cutthroat fashion world. Jean Rochefort, who played the head of the Parisian academy in "French Postcards" plays the lead inspector of a suspected murder turned choking accident so straight faced to the crowd of French Clouseaus that surround him. A standout performance. There are also several 'step in dog poop' jokes that fill some dead time humorously.

#960776 - Sat Jan 12 2013 06:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Django Unchained".

Well.

It's a Tarantino movie, so if you didn't get what all the fuss was about for his previous movies, you certainly won't like this one. I think I'm going to have to see it again, to sort out what I really think from all the images.

#960785 - Sat Jan 12 2013 08:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Snowman, I really liked "The Artist", too. One of the best films I saw last year, if not the best. And mehaul, I had fun with "Prêt-à-Porter" a few years ago. I can still hear The Cranberries' song in my head.

Just recently viewed "It Came From Outer Space" (1953). Unfortunately, it wasn't in the original 3-D, but it was everything you'd expect from a sci-fi film of the 1950s!

#960978 - Mon Jan 14 2013 03:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Darkman" - Liam Neeson, Frances McDormand, Colin Friels, Larry Drake, Nelson Mashita
"Darkman 2: The Return of Durant" - Arnold Vosloo, Larry Drake, Renee O'Connor, Kim Delaney, Rod Wilson
"Darkman III: Die, Darkman Die" - Arnold Vosloo, Jeff Fahey, Darlanne Fluegel, Roxann Biggs, Nigel Bennett

A nice series of a dark graphic comic abnormalhero (rather than super-). The Darkman artificially makes skin masks for himself which certainly is a valuable resource casting-wise for the producer, Sam Raimi. It adds suspense when you aren't sure whether the character you're watching is Darkman or the guy he's imitating. Villains die and get resurrected for the sequels, pure comic lore! Jenny Agutter has an uncredited role in the first one.

#961457 - Wed Jan 16 2013 06:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"S. Darko" (2009)
Daveigh Chase, Briana Evigan, Ed Westwick, James Lafferty, John Hawkes, Jackson Rathbone
Intended not to be a sequel but an Homage, this film certainly pushes all the buttons that comprised the original, "Donnie Darko". It takes place a decade later and chronicles some of little sister Samantha Darko's (Daveigh in both) journey through life and a tangent life or two. It's got the countdowns, the ghosts, the cloud tunnels, the suddenly appearing metal objects of death, the misguided do-gooders, the liquid sphere wormy things that show future positions, the burning buildings, the "Philosophy of Time Travel" by Roberta Sparrow, the wonderous recollection montage after the time lines are repaired and more. This has a saving within a saving that sets it apart from the original. Great music again. And a reason I find it one of the best films I've seen in a while, the Tesseract meteorites from the fourth dimension sent to destroy the world.

Look for Daveigh and Briana to beautify our screens for decades to come.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jan 19 2013 01:38 AM)

#961830 - Fri Jan 18 2013 11:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Yet Another Dar... title. Did not plan that.

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (1959)
Albert Sharpe, Janet Munro, Sean Connery, Jimmy O'Dea
Cleopatra the horse was a Pooka! Once forcing Darby to fall into the abandoned well and then enticing Katie into a fall off a bluff. The merry and wise Leprechaun King, Brian Connors, shares wisdom with Darby and all is saved for what is just another day in Rathcullen, County Kerry. The DVD bonus material contains an old "Wonderful World of Disney" episode which had Pat O'Brien and others explain the history of Irish lore: the origin of Leprechauns, the Banshees and the Death Carriage.
For those who enjoyed "Paint Your Wagon" for the singing performance of Clint Eastwood, this film offers the tonsil tingling of Sean Connery as he performed the duet "Pretty Irish Girl" with Janet Munro. According to Connery the sales for the vinyl were profitable.

Coincidences to the other Dar... films:
King Brian can make himself appear to be someone or something else as in the "Darkman" series.
Darby transports a metal object, a church bell, which at a key point is heard to ring and transfix Darby who makes a decision, like Donnie and Iraq Jack, to sacrifice his life for the good of others. I mentioned the pooka. The Death Carriage and the deathly red car are key adjuncts to both tales. The banshee and the manipulated dead seem to be drawn from the same imaginary cloth. Rathcullen has its public house for partying and tale telling as do both Darkos have party scenes.

Maybe I could watch "The Dark Crystal"again? Maybe not.

#961847 - Sat Jan 19 2013 03:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

"The Bad Seed". Made me shiver.

#962008 - Sun Jan 20 2013 02:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Big Night" Completely charming. And the food.....!

#962076 - Sun Jan 20 2013 09:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Double Indemnity" This one is as good as I remember it.

#962078 - Sun Jan 20 2013 09:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Charade"
Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy
A delightfully confusing re-mix of the pair that made "Roman Holiday" such a wonderful experience.
Edit: I always seem to misrecollect the characters played by Gregory Peck and Cary Grant. It was Peck with Hepburn in the Roman film and it was Grant (with Grace Kelly) in a role similar to the one of the above "Charade" character in "To Catch a Thief". Anyway, if you haven't seen any of these films and aren't easily confused like some of us, "Charade" is a nice diversion.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Jan 21 2013 12:19 PM)

#962112 - Mon Jan 21 2013 05:36 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
mayneeyak Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Northern Ontario Canada  
The Human Stain starring Anthony Hopkins, Gary Sinise and a bunch of other good stars.
Kind of confusing, but in a thought-provoking manner. It makes the deep thinker delve into areas of the psyche you may not even know existed.
Profoundly moving. In some ways it caused me to feel I should jump through the screen and stick my thumb through Anthony Hopkins' eye and in other ways I wanted to cry for him and all those who may have actually lived through that lifestyle.
Worth watching and my first viewing garners it a 3.5 out of 5 yet it would be easy depending on my mood to give it a 4 or even a 4.5.

#962176 - Mon Jan 21 2013 12:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Cat People" (1982)
Natassja Kinski, Malcolm McDowell, John Heard, Annette O'Toole, Ed Begley Jr, John Larroquette
Cats and Graphic Comics seem to go well together. Beginning with David Bowie's familiar "Cat People" song (better remembered as "...putting out the fire with gasoline.") the following 2 hour viewing details the love story between a young woman chosen by destiny to be a Cat woman (Black Leopard) and the New Orleans Zoo's Curator and animal protector. There is some disturbing visual gore accompanying some stark nudity and intimated intimacy that some might not enjoy. The solution to the plot's conflict is an apt one for the theme.
What's chew pussycat? Whoa a whoa whoa whoa whoa (Sorry Tom).

#962180 - Mon Jan 21 2013 01:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've gotta say I liked the original "Cat People" better. The effects are seriously cheezy, but if you can look past that, it's got something the remake lacked.

#962259 - Mon Jan 21 2013 06:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I did some shopping and found that version (1942) in a double feature DVD set with "The Curse of the Cat People" (1944, the 1st's sequel) for $2.99. Will be viewing soon I hope. Purrfect purrchase?

#962268 - Mon Jan 21 2013 07:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Jacques Tourneur, the director of the original "Cat People" also directed the great film noir, "Out of the Past".

Never seen "Curse of the Cat People" - don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate.

#962489 - Tue Jan 22 2013 07:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
ladymacb29 Offline

"Men in Black III" - not as bad as the reviews suggested, I actually found it to be pretty good! Liked the whole love story B plot.

#962498 - Tue Jan 22 2013 08:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Guard" If you liked "In Bruges", you'll like this. Not quite as wonderful, but with its own charms, certainly.

#962596 - Wed Jan 23 2013 06:45 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Gatsby722 Offline
Pure Diamond

Ohio USA    
I watched A Separation the other night - it was named Best Foreign Film at the Oscars a year or two ago. I wasn't exactly optimistic, since I'd read a good bit about Iranian films and the restrictions that are put on them (things like that men and women are not even allowed, typically, to touch one another on-screen in movies made there, and so forth). Add to that that I was pretty much clueless as to what the average day-to-day existence is like for someone living in Iran. What a pleasant surprise and/or revelation the film turned out to be! While many cultural differences were obvious, many cultural similarities were just as obvious. It looked at religion, gender roles, family structure ... and it was entirely fascinating (to me, anyway). The story it told was mighty compelling, albeit slightly disturbing, too. If I kept a personal list of the Top Ten films I've seen in my lifetime? It'd definitely be on it. I borrowed it from the library but plan on buying a copy. One of those that I'm pretty sure I could look at many times and discover something new with each viewing.

Edited by Gatsby722 (Wed Jan 23 2013 06:46 AM)

#962738 - Wed Jan 23 2013 05:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Ring" (2002)
Daveigh Chase, Naomi Watts, Martin Henderson, David Dorfman, Jane Alexander
To me this is a horror film that isn't scary, just confusing and thus startling when events occur. It's also done in what I must assume is a cost saving cinematographic technique of blue tones (cool to keep you calm, rather than reds to rile you up?). This method causes a lot of minor intricacies of the set design to disappear in the dark (another savings in not having to worry about set dressing?) I wish directors and cameramen would stop using this technique. If I'd seen more of what makes Naomi Watts Naomi Watts (hair strands, folds in clothing, etc.) I might have identified with her more and felt more worry for her safety. That's my nickel on the subject anyway. The film is highly rated by most sources. I liked the story and the actors; perhaps it is unfair for me to single this film out for one aspect of its delivery.

Oo, oo, Officer Tootie, there's a "The Ring Two", the continuing story of Naomi and her character! And more Daveigh. I'd like to see how they pull off explaining how a fifty-year-dead girl gets 3 years older all of a sudden.

#963361 - Fri Jan 25 2013 10:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Inglourious Basterds" Well, that was fun.

#963474 - Sat Jan 26 2013 10:12 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
Last film in a theatre: "Skyfall".
Last films on DVD: "The Wild One" and "Peeping Tom".

tjoeb};>

#963545 - Sat Jan 26 2013 12:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
rogue Offline
Mainstay

Last 2 dvd rentals:

"The Bourne Legacy"- not much on story with action scenes that were far too familiar but the performances were good.

"Compliance"- based on true events; phone call to a fast food restaurant from supposedly a cop leads to a female cashier being sexually harassed by her manager & others. Film may be hard to sit through if you don't like shouting at the characters on the screen for being idiots with little common sense. Otherwise, great performances and direction.

#963664 - Sun Jan 27 2013 06:57 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Seven Year Itch"

I'm not a huge Marilyn Monroe fan, but I think I'd have to agree with a description of her I've seen in reviews of this movie - radiant. And a good thing, too, because her performance saves the film.

Hollywood sex comedies of this era are really a problem for me, because the Hays Code meant that nobody had sex. There's a dreadful coy kittenish quality to all of them. The behaviour is false, the motivations are false, the whole thing has the ring of a cracked tin bell.

Lately I've been reading a lot of fiction written in the mid/late fifties, early sixties, mostly paperback originals aimed at men. And while they are nowhere near as graphic as their modern equivalents, there is still an essential honesty that's missing from films of the period. The censorship from the Hays Office meant that any films of the period that looked at the relationships between men and women had to be distorted, warped, and false.

And we end up with something like "Seven Year Itch" - a couple of excellent performances in the service of a really stupid movie.

#963806 - Sun Jan 27 2013 03:49 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Title: "El Cid"
Year released: 1961
Cast: Charlton Heston, Sophia Loren, Raf Vallone, Gary Raymond, Ralph Truman, John Fraser, Geneviève Page
Plot: 1000 AD Feudal Spain finds itself with Christians living with mostly peaceful Muslims except for some African based Muslims who want the world to be worshipping Allah or dead. The Cid arises to fight off the jihadists.
My sense: One of the most relavent films to be watched today for our situation is not much different from the followers of the Cid.
Trivia: The second film in which a woman (Loren) was paid a million dollars for her performance. Elizabeth Taylor was first by signing the year before to be in "Cleopatra" which came out two years later in 1963. Production delay penalties boosted Taylor's salary to over $7 million. So, Loren was actually the first million dollar woman to be seen on screen.

#963810 - Sun Jan 27 2013 05:14 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

"The Black Widow" (1954)
Starring Van Heflin, Ginger Rogers, Gene Tierney

An unusual mystery movie, in Cinemascope & Technicolor, yet with a little of the film noir in it combined with a 1950s-style psychiatric angle. I know it didn't get good reviews when it was released, but for mystery buffs like me it's an interesting film. Plus how often do you get film noir in Cinemascope? :-)

#963839 - Sun Jan 27 2013 08:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Postman Always Rings Twice" the 1981 remake.

This one gets mixed reviews, but I've always liked it - excellent period detail, lots of passion.

#964240 - Tue Jan 29 2013 01:50 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Mogambo" 1953. Grace Kelly and Ava Gardner fight over Clark Gable, with a lot of National Geographic African footage in the background. Pretty silly, but fun to watch. Ava Gardner steals the show.

Edited by agony (Tue Jan 29 2013 01:50 PM)

#964264 - Tue Jan 29 2013 03:54 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Very cold here right now, so I'm spending the day watching movies.

"Now, Voyager"

I haven't seen this one for forty years. It's melodramatic and sentimental and ridiculously soap-operaish, but I admit that I love it. Paul Henreid is impossibly handsome, Claude Rains is wise and puckish, and Bette Davis cleans up real good. Makes me wish I still smoked, so a tall man with a sexy accent could light two cigarettes at once for me....

#964323 - Tue Jan 29 2013 09:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Gorky Park" ('83) - William Hurt, Lee Marvin, Brian Dennehy, Joanna Pacula, Alexei Sayle

If you love the current spate of metropolitan police detective shows, this will ring your bell. It details the solving by a Moscow Militia (police) officer of a morbid killing that took place in Gorky Park. It is based on the novel of the same name by Martin Cruz Smith.

#964383 - Wed Jan 30 2013 08:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"The Road" (2009) - Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Robert Duvall, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce
Put the dynamic into a post apocalyptic future. Stripped away are all the things that make us human: community, civility, companionship, cooperation... and what's left? Nothing! This film examines what it is that rises from within us to artificially imprint something to existence to make it worth the effort. Caveat to some: to present the loss of civilization this treatise examines suicide and cannibalism (but not in too gory a way, just puts it out there as a matter of fact).
I enjoyed the way in which the responsibility for keeping the flame of worth alive slowly passes from one generation to the next.

Love "Mogambo". I have trouble deciding who the best Hemingway version of a Great White Hunter is: Gable in that or Wayne in "Hatari!". Isn't "Mogambo" the John Ford movie a biopic was based on a couple of years ago?

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jan 30 2013 08:54 AM)

#964404 - Wed Jan 30 2013 10:22 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Quote:
Isn't "Mogambo" the John Ford movie a biopic was based on a couple of years ago?

Couldn't tell you that. I think I'll try to hunt out "Red Dust" which I understand was basically the same movie, twenty years earlier. Same leading man, too, and I do love me some young Clark Gable.

I'm going to look around for some more Ava Gardner movies, too. She was so good in "Mogambo" - blew Grace Kelly out of the water, and I'm a Grace Kelly fan. Part of it I'm sure is that her character is so much more sympathetic, but she really does give a great performance.

#964606 - Thu Jan 31 2013 07:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Jon53 Offline
Participant

Silver Linings Playbook - it was the most boring movie I have ever seen for the first 1 1/2 hours. The end picked up a little but was very predictable

#964637 - Thu Jan 31 2013 10:18 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Offline
Star Poster

Silver Linings Playbook Excellent film enjoyed it from start to finish

Bradley Cooper is fantasttic in it

#964824 - Fri Feb 01 2013 03:20 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
I watched "The Iron Lady". I didn't think it was very good. It zipped around so much in time that you never really ended up caring about what was happening at all.

I would have preferred the movie picking one specific time period or crisis (maybe Falklands War?) instead. It just felt entirely too rushed and like they made a 10 hour movie and just cut out most of it to fit into the allotted time.

I had a go at the film but agree with your criticism. Perhaps it was the zipping that meant I didn't feel compelled to watch it all the way through -- and so didn't.

#964825 - Fri Feb 01 2013 03:29 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Zippy826]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Zippy826
One of my favorite quotes from a Woody Allen movie was in "Take the Money and Run". When he was going to rob the woman in the park and ended up talking to her, he said "After fifteen minutes I wanted to marry her, and after half an hour I completely gave up the idea of stealing her purse." I think his earlier movies were some of the funniest ever made. "Bananas", "Sleeper" and "Love and Death" are also hilarious.

I love Woody Allen films and find it easier to eliminate a few than try to pick favourites. His later stuff has fallen a bit below expectations, I think; "Vicky Cristina Barcelona", for example, was singularly souless and there was no excuse for it - good story, good actors...just no soul or quirk. It should have been another "Hannah & her Sisters" but fell down all the way. Sometimes I think that a Woody film without Woody starring in it is just a waste of time. He's the magic.

I watched "Midnight in Paris" recently, thinking it would be just as disappointing, I was wrong. It wasn't Annie Hall or Bananas but despite the lack of Woody it has a little magic. It has quirk! I recommend it -- especially if you've been missing Woody recently.

#964826 - Fri Feb 01 2013 03:32 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

"Double Indemnity" This one is as good as I remember it.

Always worth watching!

"Inglourious Basterds" Well, that was fun.

lol, I can't tell how serious you are being.
I liked that film! I really didn't think I would but it was ... different. smile

Edited by Chavs (Fri Feb 01 2013 03:35 AM)

#964827 - Fri Feb 01 2013 03:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: jabb5076]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: jabb5076
The last one I watched was "War Horse." There are so many movies about WWll, and not nearly as many on "The Great War." To view the horrors of war primarily through the experience of a horse was an inspired concept (I don't remember the name of the book's author) and I thought it was well done and enlightening. The several horses the filmakers used to portray the war horse of the title were absolutely amazing!

War Horse. Wow.

I could be critical of things, I started the film like a grown-up but...well, maybe I was raised on too many Black Beauty books and TV programmes but... this film won me over totally. Once I gave in to it I gasped at the shocking bits and crumpled at the emotional bits and really felt I'd been on a journey.

Just a great story. A great watch. smile

#964830 - Fri Feb 01 2013 05:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Notorious". Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, Claude Rains. I find the whole thing is spoiled a bit for me because the relationship between Grant and Bergman is so mired in the gender politics of the forties. I could see a young person watching this movie now and not being able to figure out what is going on - why did he do that? Why did she do that? We just don't have the concept of the "soiled woman" anymore, not the way they did then. Fantastic performance from Claude Rains, though - he's the bad guy, but he's the character you feel most for.

Agree on the characterizations. I find that this is one of the Hitchcock's that showed how well fitted he'd be doing a television series, what with using projected backgrounds to save location shooting costs (there's the wild Bergman drunken driving scene and it seems all the outdoor Rio shots were stock footage on screens behind the actors) and all the angle shots in the mansion to get across that the place was huge on the inside showing his ability to manage soundstage set-ups. If it weren't for researching the cameo in this one I would have missed that he was the segue actor to cover the approach of Grant and Bergman to the punch bar to get drinks at the party scene. Two points here: 1) why did Hitchcock have that look-a-like walk in front of Bergman's Miami home in the film's opening chapter?; and, 2) that research revealed that Hitchcock became aware of his cameo's impact with this film and never again waited past a few minutes of the film to appear (he learned that many viewers were distracted from the tale trying to espy him).

Now for a four film Clint Eastwood non-Western set that should be fun ("Play Misty...", "The Eiger...", "Coogan's..." and "The Beguiled") from an American Icon Collection with a bunch of bonus material. See ya in a few days...

Edited by mehaul (Fri Feb 01 2013 05:38 AM)

#964892 - Fri Feb 01 2013 10:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Play Misty for me" and "The Beguiled" are by far my favourite Clint Eastwood movies.

Chavs, I loved "Inglourious Basterds". Fun from start to finish. I still haven't made my mind up about "Django", though. I enjoyed myself while watching, I know that.

#964945 - Fri Feb 01 2013 05:06 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Zippy826 Offline
Participant

Loc: Washington Pennsylvania USA  
I'm a big Quentin Tarantino fan and I loved "Inglorious Basterds" too. I'd put it right up there with "Pulp Fiction" as his two best movies. I also enjoyed "Django Unchained" very much.

Tarantino's films are not for everyone because of the often over the top violence and language, but if you appreciate great dialog and interesting characters, you can't go wrong with any of his movies.

#964947 - Fri Feb 01 2013 06:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've got "The Beaver" here from the library and was planning on watching it tonight. I think I'm just gonna go with "Pulp Fiction", though - I'm sure there's a copy on the shelf.

#964962 - Fri Feb 01 2013 09:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Just finished a four-hour adaptation of "Les Misérables" -- in French with subtitles. This is NOT the 2012 film, of course, but a black-and-white movie filmed in East Germany (even though it's in French) and released in 1958. Definitely the most faithful to the book.

#964967 - Fri Feb 01 2013 10:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
November4 Offline
Participant

Loc: Illinois USA
I actually can't remember the name of the movie but it kept me guessing till the end.

#965112 - Sat Feb 02 2013 09:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

It's been a few years since I've seen "Pulp Fiction" but I think it still is the very best movie of its kind. I can understand people not liking that kind, but if you are going to do this sort of thing, this is the way to do it.

#965712 - Tue Feb 05 2013 09:47 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

"War Horse". I believe I've mentioned earlier that everyone should watch it. I've seen it 4 times now (it keeps showing up on sat tv, but I can't help myself and watch it anyway - not sure whether I'm really addicted to the horse, or the boy lol).

I liked Pulp Fiction and InglorB's (despite the fact that I really don't like Mr. Pitt). Not sure what that says about me ~.

hmmm, re: the Hays thing. Lots of folks and their movies were affected by that one, including Mae West and also was considered the ultimate demise of a comic book "heroine" (Betty Boop). Sad really.

Watched the most recent Men in Black. Didn't mind it at all. Of course, I sort of have a slight "crush" on TLJones. And Sam Elliott too (but I digress).

The recent Spiderman wasn't bad (hubby bought the movie, since you can't "rent" anything anymore unless it's PayperView). Was less melodramatic than the ones with TobyM.

Last week was apparently an "Aubrey" week on classic movies watchable on tv. Watched 3 in a row on the weekend: "My Fair Lady" (I have a soft spot for that one since some nice boy in grade 5 asked his mother to ask my mother if he could take me to the movie - with his mother as the "escort/chaperone") - still not sure WHAT he found interesting enough in me for that amount of effort LOL. Then "Wait Until Dark" (the movie where she was blind), then thirdly "Always". If you've seen that last one even once, you can't help crying no matter which point in the movie you tune in to for the second time. The cool part, is that the movies were all COMPLETELY different in plot/portrayal (they also played other movies of her classics such as "Breakfast at Tiffany's" etc, but I could only stay awake for 3) but that just proves how truly VERSATILE an actress she was. Ms. Doolittle might have been a chameleon in that movie, but so was Audrey as an actress

#965714 - Tue Feb 05 2013 09:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I just caught part of "Love in the Afternoon" the other day, and there she was again.. Just like a flower - Mr Cooper, not so much.

#965722 - Tue Feb 05 2013 11:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I watched The Pirates! band of Misfits. with the boy. Good fun smile

Edited by Copago (Tue Feb 05 2013 11:46 PM)

#965727 - Wed Feb 06 2013 01:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The Eastwood Icon Collection:

"Coogan's Bluff" - Entertaining and of historical reference when showing the 60's pre-hippie pad of Flowerchild Linny Raven. Was this a popular movie just 'cause o' Clint? Think so but it did lead to a TV series "McCloud".

"The Beguiled" - A movie unlike any other of his works.

"Play Misty for Me" - Surely this goes on everyone's list of best movies at some level. It sure did lead the modern genre of stalker films.

"The Eiger Sanction" - his example of a spy film. I liked it for the vistas shown during the mountain climbing scenes. But the story seemed to falter for a reason, so why did I like it? A review of the credits shows that John Williams wrote the score. This was the year he also wrote "Jaws", so he was at a high point in his composing. A rewatch and I noted how much his music added to the climbing drama and brought the viewer along as it soared high above the ground. Brilliant but mostly an unrecognized bit of his (Williams) work.

NON-Eastwood:

"The Magnificent Seven" - Another film that usually places somewhere on everyone's "watch list", with reason.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Feb 06 2013 10:11 AM)

#965749 - Wed Feb 06 2013 08:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
"Always". If you've seen that last one even once, you can't help crying no matter which point in the movie you tune in to for the second time.

I love, love this movie! I cry at even the mention of it.

#965880 - Wed Feb 06 2013 11:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Jason and the Argonauts" (1963)
Not true to the established myth (but what's a myth if not to be played with?) and yet still a moral tale teaching that with commitment comes success. Possibly the best thing to relate about this movie comes from stop-motion animator extrordinaire himself, Ray Harryhausen: "I think this is my best effort." 'Nough said.

#965990 - Thu Feb 07 2013 03:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

This one really doesn't count, because I didn't finish it - "The Beaver". Yeah, yeah, it's heartwarming and sensitive and all, but something came up so I had to pause it and it sat in the DVD player for three days and every time I thought "I should finish that movie" something more appealing would come up, like organizing my sock drawer.

I guess after living twenty years with a depressed person I reached my limit of watching other people's depression.

#966093 - Fri Feb 08 2013 06:51 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

This one's a bit of a cheat because it was a documentary on TV last night - but it is a film, was made as a film, funded as a film...

Dreams of a Life

In 2006 bailiffs entered a London flat only to find the resident was deceased.

The TV was still on, the heating was still on, there were Christmas presents wrapped and ready to be handed out, but the remains were unrecognisable, a skeleton, and had been there for about 3 years without anyone noticing: a) a decomposing body or b) that their sister and friend Joyce has disappeared.

Whatever picture comes to mind about what Joyce must have been like to have been able to slip away in such circumstances, forget it. She was 38, beautiful, talented, popular, ...but this only emerged after a long search by the film-maker. This film talks to the people who came forward during that search and slowly tries to piece together the story.

Baffling, interesting, and sad. Excellent piece of work.

Repeated tonight on (British TV) Channel 4 - available on the Ch 4 player @
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dreams-of-a-life/4od

"Play Misty for me" and "The Beguiled" are by far my favourite Clint Eastwood movies.

Chavs, I loved "Inglourious Basterds". Fun from start to finish. I still haven't made my mind up about "Django", though. I enjoyed myself while watching, I know that.

Oh good! I'll look forward to seeing Django then. smile

Edited by Chavs (Fri Feb 08 2013 06:57 AM)

#966119 - Fri Feb 08 2013 11:44 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Cat People" (1942) - Simone Simon, Kent Smith, Tom Conway, Jane Randolph, Elizabeth Russell
Trivia first: In the bonus material we find out that Tom Conway is George Sanders older brother and that they'd fled from St. Petersberg to England to avoid the Russian Revolution. If you've seen the remake with Kinski and McDowell you essentially know the plot of this one and even some scenes in that are faithful copies of the original. This one has an interaction of a larger cast. It portrays the human/panther without ever showing it. We just see shadows of the action and shots of the aftermath, the way the better scary movies are done (without the gore). This is also the origin of a thing called the "Lewton Bus" which is a substitute startlement thrown in to cut the suspense when it gets too tense.

"The Curse of the Cat People" (1944) - same cast plus Ann Carter as the young girl
Not at all a human/panther scary movie. This is much more like "Heidi"! Scene: several years have passed since the first tale and all seems well except for a young girl struggling to adjust to life. This really is so much like "Heidi", I think some might even like it more. Instead of the Alps it takes place in Tarrytown (Sleepy Hollow). Instead of the Foster family there's the Farrens, a bizarre mother and daughter team. Instead of the goats there's the imaginary friend. Christmas, running away... Not a scary movie at all. The studios blew another one by putting the wrong tag on it. If you can, catch it.

#966185 - Fri Feb 08 2013 08:26 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Scarlet Street" 1945

This is on a collection called "Classic Film Noir" - I haven't heard of any of the movies on it, so wasn't expecting much.

Edward G Robinson, Dan Duryea and Joan Bennett in a love and murder triangle, of a sort. Duryea is unbelievably greasy, Bennett is totally heartless, and Robinson so sympathetic that I was cheering for him to get away with everything and spend the rest of his life happily painting. Highly enjoyable.

#966342 - Sat Feb 09 2013 04:40 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Detour" 1945 Tom Neal, Ann Savage. Incredibly low budget, and with a fairly implausible plot, but this one is like the distillation of film noir. Ann Savage is astonishing - and looks exactly like Elizabeth Perkins.

#966547 - Mon Feb 11 2013 12:18 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" 1946. Not really noir, this one, but more of a melodrama. Kirk Douglas' first film role and doesn't he just own it. His character rings true from start to finish - weak, drunk, and petulantly in love with Barbara Stanwyk. I kept forgetting that Lizabeth Scott was not Lauren Bacall - an amazing resemblance.

#966573 - Mon Feb 11 2013 11:32 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
My DVD watching is confined to whatever the juniors feel like watching on any given day. Recently it's been the Pirates of the Carribean series, 1-3 (none of us liked the 4th one), and the Lord of the Rings movies for the nth time!

I also recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed War Horse and The Aviator, and got a laugh out of the silliness of the whole Police Academy series, which my youngest boy put on one after the other over a couple of evenings. I guess you could say he was mildly hooked.

Next on my list: The Artist, Les Misérables ...

#967140 - Tue Feb 12 2013 11:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Offline
Star Poster

I just saw Zero Dark Thirty incredible movie the best 2 & a half hours i have ever spent watching a movie

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 ... 41 42 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong