Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >
Topic Options
#834239 - Thu Oct 25 2012 09:29 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: george48]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
That one's a little dated in some ways - I find it difficult to read, now. Some of his other stuff held up a little better. So, if you're happy now, you're in for a treat - he wrote a lot, and most of it was good.

#834256 - Fri Oct 26 2012 12:22 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Thanks Trangie, that makes interesting reading. I am going to start a new thread dealing with Authors we may have met. Its a good subject I think.

#834659 - Sat Oct 27 2012 01:31 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: george48]
LeoDaVinci Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
I agree there. Heinlein is a brilliant author and he makes Science Fiction accessible to the masses and not just its fans. He has many good books with underlying themes that are still relevant today.

#834829 - Sun Oct 28 2012 06:22 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: trangie]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I remember reading Carrie's War many years ago, and the successful TV programme. She was a talented writer trangie, thanks for the memories

#834845 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:13 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
Professer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln<br>England UK      ...
Reading Alfie My story by Alfie Boe,Britains best Tenor tells his story so far and what a wide and various career he has had prior to becoming a opera/west end star.

As biographies go this is informative at times funny and also sad, i am finding it very intresting is a good read, some things i am trying to check the validity of where he claims to have recorded a demo of 2 queen songs in abbey road studio as a sound check for Queens engineers, one person who worked with freddie mercury and queen says he cant recall, another says that queen and their engineers never used abbey road studios. But am sure Alfie Boe has not lied as he has nothing to gain from it.

This is one biography i recommend throughly.

#834908 - Sun Oct 28 2012 02:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Professer]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I just started "Daughters-in-Law" by Joanna Trollope. Sounded interesting, but for some reason (perhaps being distracted at the time) I couldn't quite get into it. Will keep it and try again later tonight or tomorrow.

It tels the story of what happens when a headstrong woman becomes the in-law of a couple who are used to running their sons--and their sons' wives--lives.

#836007 - Thu Nov 01 2012 08:41 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've been reading a whole stack of John D MacDonald paperback originals from the fifties and early sixties. He churned out this stuff at an enormous rate in those years, and they were never meant to be deathless prose. They're what we used to call "Men's stories" - lots of violence and as much sex as he could get away with. The novelistic equivalent of those magazines like "Argosy". And it's amazing how class will out - it's cheap dreck, but it's good cheap dreck, because he couldn't help being a good writer no matter what he was writing. I've been enjoying myself immensely, and also enjoying the looks on the faces of other people when they see the front covers of what I'm reading, in restaurants and doctor's offices - they're pretty sensational.

#836034 - Thu Nov 01 2012 11:50 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Oooh Yes, Agony! Travis McGee- Ladies in distress, lost treasure and brutal villains!
Yu might start a new trend!

#836217 - Fri Nov 02 2012 06:05 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I was relieved to finish “Daughters-in-Law,” which is one of those books that, if you stop reading, you wonder what would have happened. And I was somewhat disappointed by the ending, as it leaves the reader hanging (fine for readers who don’t mind that sort of thing, but I do). I did rather enjoy the place descriptions, though.

I’m now reading “Killing Kate” by Julie Kramer. More what I’m interested in reading
smile *Love* those mystery and suspense stories!

#836876 - Mon Nov 05 2012 08:05 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I'm reading a book called "Girl in Translation," about a girl and her mother who emigrate to America from HongKong. So far, it's very interesting.

#836890 - Mon Nov 05 2012 08:45 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Friends of Eddie Coyle" which is apparently the best crime book several authors like Elmore Leonard and Dennis Lehane ever read, even though I'd never heard of it. I'm not very far in, but beginning to see what they meant.

I wish there was some rule that you could not get a book published unless you could write really really well. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems the opposite is true. Somebody like Dan Brown is a millionaire, and nobody's heard of George V. Higgins.

#837996 - Sat Nov 10 2012 03:53 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

‘The Mischief of the Mistletoe: a Pink Carnation Christmas,’ by Lauren Wellig. A very entertaining book about the exploits of rstudents at an Academy for Girls, the new Junior Instructress, some other characters, and hilarious incidents involving Christmas puddings.

#838010 - Sat Nov 10 2012 04:26 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

Finished "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" and it really is pretty remarkable. It reads so easy - it's like sitting on a bar stool listening to the guys talking - that you hardly notice that there is some very skillful subtle writing going on. If you like gritty crime novels, check this one out. Don't read the intro until after you've finished the book.

Also just finished another slice of low life, this one purportedly true - "Full Service" the memoirs of Scotty Bowers, who apparently slept with everyone in Los Angeles from 1946 until well into the eighties. Viewed one way, it's an amazing social document; viewed another, it is simply appalling - he quite cheerfully tells us all about the pedophilic prostitution ring he ran at the age of twelve, for example. A boy's gotta make money somehow during the Depression, and the paper route wasn't cutting it.

And (wasn't kidding when I said I read more than one book at a time) also just finished Dickens' "Hard Times". Just loved it, and am amazed at how topical it is.

Now reading "How Children Succeed" from Paul Tough, about some newish research into the effects of noncognitive skills on success, especially for disadvantaged children.

And the new Harlen Coben - Myron Bolitar again, yay!

#838097 - Sun Nov 11 2012 10:54 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
"Port Mortuary" by Patricia Cornwell

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#916912 - Mon Nov 12 2012 10:15 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: skunkee]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I just started "The Lost Years" by Mary Higgins Clark. I like this one more so far, than most of the others I've read by her (who knows, though--it's early yet, and the way some of her characters are portrayed is a turn-off.)

One example I can give right off the top of my head of a book by her I disliked almost from the start was "I'll Walk Alone." I was outraged by how that woman's *friends* viewed her once their friendship was tested.

#916917 - Mon Nov 12 2012 10:26 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

She's like John Grisham to me - an author I'll read if there isn't anything else around. Like eating at Denny's.

#917525 - Wed Nov 14 2012 03:01 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I just finished "me again" by Keith Cronin. It's told in first person about a man who awakes from being in a coma for six years. The story is really enlightening about how stroke victims can feel while going through recovery and coping with their new limitations to their bodies and minds. I hated for the story to end.

#917528 - Wed Nov 14 2012 03:10 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Still working on "The Last Years," and I've reached the point where I have to keep reading or I'll always wonder how it ended--but there's definetly a level of predictability here: I figured out who the killer was long ago, and in the one chapter I was able to predict what was about to happen.

#917558 - Wed Nov 14 2012 05:06 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I'm pleased to report that, not only have I finished, but I was wrong smile

#917570 - Wed Nov 14 2012 07:08 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

Just finished "The Monster in the Box" by Ruth Rendell. It's one of the later Inspector Wexford novels, and, I hate to say it, but I think this series has run its course. I enjoyed seeing back into Wexford's past, but the basic story of this one is pretty silly, and the side plot about the young Muslim girl defies belief. Too bad, I've always liked this series and the books that came out during the 80s and 90s were really excellent. Read the very latest in the series, "The Vault" a few weeks ago, and it suffered from the same problems. Well, Wexford has retired now, so that's probably that.

#950624 - Wed Nov 21 2012 01:03 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Despite the flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed the BBC's recent mini series "The Paradise", or at least the idea of it, so I borrowed Emile Zola's "Au Bonheur des Dames" (on which the series is based) from a friend. It's a great read (even though I am discovering just how lacking I am in French "literary" vocabulary). It reminds me of The Coral Island with its long descriptive prose, where each word is carefully chosen to convey just the atmosphere the author wants to create. I think there are various versions available in English, but I'm not sure I'll read any of them as the original is so rich itself that I risk being disappointed in a translation. It's definitely a style of writing which is dated, but for me it's so much more satisfying to read than more modern stuff, that I'm perfectly happy to bury my head between the covers of the book any time I have even just five minutes to spare.

Edited by Santana2002 (Wed Nov 21 2012 01:25 AM)

#950656 - Wed Nov 21 2012 07:35 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Oh Gosh, Toni, I read it, so many years ago
I think I struggled then, even while living in France and exposed to French all day so probably would even more so now.

#950676 - Wed Nov 21 2012 10:48 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I'm not struggling, exactly, but I'm certainly losing out on the detail. I refuse to get out my dictionary for every single word that I don't understand or know, when I am getting the sense of the meaning, as it would slow me down too much and become extremely frustrating. So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying the read in any case.

#950704 - Wed Nov 21 2012 12:28 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Santana2002]
agony Offline

Administrator

In my rereading of old John D MacDonald novels, one which stands out is 1962's "Flash of Green". Its depiction of the clash between dirty politics and environmentalism are depressingly modern for a fifty year old book. There's a great passage in it that practically defines the tension between tourism and natural beauty that I'm going to quote here, as it is still highly relevant:

Quote:
Once upon a time there was a mountain peak with a wonderful view, so that people came from all over to stand on top of the mountain and look out. The village at the foot of the mountain charged a dollar a head to all the tourists. But so few of them could stand on top of the mountain at the same time, they leveled the top of the mountain to provide more room and increase the take. This seemed to work, so they kept enlarging the area on top of the mountain. Finally they had a place up there that would accommodate ten thousand people, but by then the mountain was only forty feet high..."

Edited by agony (Wed Nov 21 2012 04:05 PM)

#950743 - Wed Nov 21 2012 03:42 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I'm reading the Peter Townshend autobiography "Who I am". I find it very difficult to follow and very poorly written. It's disconnected, doesn't flow at all and seems to be snippets of information placed one after another in chronological order with no transitions. General themes keep recurring to try and create a theme or transition, but as someone who knows next to nothing about The Who, it is not at all informative or easy to follow because it is so disconnected.

I guess when I read a biography I need more structure, especially if I'm not familiar with the subject/content/person. I'm about half way through it, so I'll finish it up, but unless you are a diehard Who or Pete fanatic, I'd avoid it.

Page 6 of 14 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 14 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom