Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#808565 - Fri Jul 13 2012 06:47 PM For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others!
gtho4 Online   FT-blank

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
"Nights In White Satin" by The Moody Blues
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" by Roberta Flack

I've heard many versions of these two songs over the years, but these two left me breathless. They
were both sung by Matt Cardle in the UK talent show The X Factor (I stumbled across them last night
on youtube). All four judges gave him a standing ovation for the second one. For us baby boomers with fading memories, this is what we were listening to back in the 1960s!

The Moody Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8
Roberta Flack : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFrGbuUqnQ

#808693 - Sat Jul 14 2012 11:53 AM Re: For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others! [Re: gtho4]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I really like Roberta Flack's version of that song...and I'm not 40 yet!

#808696 - Sat Jul 14 2012 12:16 PM Re: For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others! [Re: dg_dave]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
I'm with you Dave. I was a teen when Roberta Flack sang that song and I remember both her terrific voice and how romantic the song was. I'll have to listen to this other guy's rendition and compare the two.

#808838 - Sun Jul 15 2012 09:38 AM Re: For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others! [Re: jabb5076]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
The Moody Blues are one of my very favorite bands, however, Nights in White Satin is one of my least favorite songs of theirs because it was over-played. It seemed like most radio stations thought that that was their only hit and played it over and over and over without delving into their other numerous great songs. However, I listened to the link above and Matt Cardle has breathed new life into the song and I fell in love with it all over again as if hearing it for the first time. This guy's good! The passion with which he sang it gave me goosebumps.

As for Roberta Flack's song - Wow! This guy is not only good, but great! And watching the judges reaction brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing these links.

#808986 - Sun Jul 15 2012 09:26 PM Re: For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others! [Re: gtho4]
gtho4 Online   FT-blank

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
This was posted on youtube two hours ago, for the second song (The First Time):

Quote:
His mums best friend died when Matt was 11 and his family took on her 4 kids so when the oldest one got married he sang this song in the church

That explains why it was such an emotional performance!

#809006 - Sun Jul 15 2012 10:59 PM Re: For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others! [Re: gtho4]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
That really is a beautiful performance. The looks help too(woohoo!Down girl!))

#809047 - Mon Jul 16 2012 02:17 AM Re: For the baby boomers amongst us .. and others! [Re: ren33]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
But even so, Rebecca should have won. (Just saying!)

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher