Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#808585 - Sat Jul 14 2012 12:22 AM 7 UP
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've been watching the UP series by Michael Apted, that interviews a group of children from the age of seven, every seven years, into their fifties. It's really quite something, the original reality show, in a way. So far I'm only half way through 28, and anxious to watch the rest.

I'd be interested to hear from British viewers - what has the reaction been to the films, and how do you feel about them? How fair do you think the editing and presentation has been?

#808652 - Sat Jul 14 2012 09:34 AM Re: 7 UP [Re: agony]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
I've watched the whole series over the years and enjoyed them very much. The most recent, 56 Up, was aired a few months ago. They mirror my own life and early experiences in the UK but quite different in the later years as I returned to Alberta and, of course, opportunities and lifestyles are very different here. As to the editing, it must be incredibly difficult to encapsulate entire lives in a short space of time but I think Apted has been as true to the task as anyone could possibly be. Especially since he's been with the project from the beginning.

It's been quite an emotional experience to watch people's lives unfold over the years, and even moreso as they get older. The flashbacks to their childhoods are particularly poignant. It's not often we get the chance to know what people's early lives were like when we meet them as adults so I find it quite touching to see them as children and all the stages in-between. Very easy to relate to what they've gone through during each stage.

I loved it and can't wait for the next installment. Hope I'm here to see the next two or three! shocked It's a wonderful testament to their lives.

#808789 - Sat Jul 14 2012 09:29 PM Re: 7 UP [Re: Barbarini]
wdstk Offline
Prolific

Loc: Woodstock Illinois USA        
It was good. You can rent it in the States. I wish that they took more care in picking the girls. There were only 4 and 3 were from the same working class school.

#808825 - Sun Jul 15 2012 08:52 AM Re: 7 UP [Re: wdstk]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I loved them as fourteen year olds. This is an age that is seldom portrayed accurately in films - their shyness, awkwardness, bravado are so heartbreaking.

#808862 - Sun Jul 15 2012 11:30 AM Re: 7 UP [Re: agony]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: agony
...their shyness, awkwardness, bravado are so heartbreaking.

...as it was for all of us. You're gonna make me cry.... frown

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong