Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 39 of 51 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
#788419 - Sun Apr 22 2012 11:21 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: sportsherald]
sportsherald Offline
Participant

Loc: Canada
Coincidence? The question numbers included in the errors noted on this page are almost all #13 (and 12 and 14 average out)...

#788422 - Mon Apr 23 2012 12:09 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: sportsherald]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Coincidence - the issues have been noted before, and in different sets.

Edited by looney_tunes (Mon Apr 23 2012 12:09 AM)

#792629 - Tue May 08 2012 04:13 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
From today's set:

11. Banch
Your answer: (law) the seat for judges in a courtroom

I think this probably should be "bench".

Luckily I assumed it was a typo - none of the other answers seemed to fit the non-existant word "banch" either!

#792717 - Tue May 08 2012 01:11 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: stedman]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

If you go back to an earlier page of this thread, I did actually track down an online source that is probably where it comes from. This game uses an external source, not a FunTrivia database.

#796431 - Wed May 23 2012 06:35 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Quote:
13. Chopper
Your answer: informal terms for a human `tooth'

A rather novel use of quotes/apostrophes.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#796436 - Wed May 23 2012 07:56 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
reedy Offline
Participant

Loc: Manitoba Canada
Not a biggie, but:

4. A territory that is controllled by a ruling state

3 'l's in controlled?

#796622 - Wed May 23 2012 11:09 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: reedy]
CheeryDog Offline
Participant

Loc: South Australia
10. Works for an expert to learn a trade
Your answer: prentice

It appears to missing missing the AP at the start.

#796706 - Thu May 24 2012 08:23 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: CheeryDog]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
There's nothing missing, it's just an older way of saying apprentice.

#797840 - Mon May 28 2012 08:40 PM Word Wizard Letter Anomaly?
Ghosttowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Tonopah Nevada USA          
Just seeing if anyone else is having interesting draws for the letters for the Mini-Game. In the last week, it seems like it is all vowels. Had a streak of 11 straight vowels then 2 consonants and now am working on 13 out of 15 vowels again! Been running about 90-95 percent vowels. Makes it interesting having to trade in 6 vowels or more just to make a short word!

#797843 - Mon May 28 2012 09:13 PM Re: Word Wizard Letter Anomaly? [Re: Ghosttowner]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

These things happen - there has been quite a bit of discussion about it on another thread. The last time I ended up with 12 consonants I did some trades, and by the time I was back up to 12 letters was able to play my first (and, so far, only) 12-letter word, so there is hope.

edited to remove typo

Edited by looney_tunes (Mon May 28 2012 09:13 PM)

#797919 - Tue May 29 2012 11:18 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: tatwood]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
We use a database provided by Princeton's dictionary project.

I think the "free dictionary" you folks sometimes refer to is also derived from that same project, which is why you can often find words there that match what we use.

#797932 - Tue May 29 2012 12:26 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Yikes -- it has been a while since I did a prune.

But it has been done...

Over 500 entries removed based on all of the feedback to this point. Lots of drug street names removed, lots of fish / types of meat, and entries with errors.

Thanks for posting the errors you have found. Something that is very nice to see is that there was actually quite a lot of duplication of errors found over the months. That means we're actually covering most of the word database, and lots of errors have come out. Hopefully we've trimmed out most of the "obvious" stuff by now. Well, fingers crossed at least!

As for why we used this obviously error-filled database: well, for one it was free. It is simply prohibitive to use say Webster's dictionary in our games. It's simply not available. And even if we had a more thoroughly edited dictionary, we'd still have every single one of the "ambiguity" issues, because those are a function of extracting random words from any dictionary.

The other reason is that I like some of the weird definitions that make their way into word wizard. This is a trivia site after all, and trivia is all about strange, unexpected bits of information. This Princeton dictionary is filled with bits of culture and history, and to me at least, that's pretty cool. Keeps things interesting.

Terry

Edited by Terry (Tue May 29 2012 12:30 PM)

#797957 - Tue May 29 2012 01:58 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: raine_d2007]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Raine D2007,

No, the technical term is "panovariohysterectomy" for a female cat or dog.

Spay is usuable for both genders, but is usually used only for females with neuter for males.

30 years in a Veterinary Hospital...

Edited to address to whom the message was meant.

Edited by habitsowner (Tue May 29 2012 02:00 PM)

#798009 - Tue May 29 2012 07:07 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: Terry
Yikes -- it has been a while since I did a prune.

But it has been done...

Over 500 entries removed based on all of the feedback to this point. Lots of drug street names removed, lots of fish / types of meat, and entries with errors.

[...]As for why we used this obviously error-filled database: well, for one it was free. It is simply prohibitive to use say Webster's dictionary in our games. It's simply not available. And even if we had a more thoroughly edited dictionary, we'd still have every single one of the "ambiguity" issues, because those are a function of extracting random words from any dictionary.

The other reason is that I like some of the weird definitions that make their way into word wizard. This is a trivia site after all, and trivia is all about strange, unexpected bits of information. This Princeton dictionary is filled with bits of culture and history, and to me at least, that's pretty cool. Keeps things interesting.

I agree with the strange definitions being in keeping with linguistic trivia. Thanks for the pruining!

Sue

#798235 - Wed May 30 2012 07:26 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I think it's nice that Terry did some pruning. However, I honestly didn't mind the game as it was. I didn't mind drug references (there isn't a policeman on earth who wouldn't recommend that all parents learn every "nickname" for stuff sold on the streets) or any other seemingly "obscure" stuff.

Word/phrases have many different meanings and I think it's cool that some of those "different" meanings will still be included. Sure, there might be a typo here or there - who cares? Most of the folks under 25 these days don't use real English anyway when messaging LOL! Regardless of the "nitpicky" errors, I'd have to say that in most cases, those situations wouldn't cause you to get the actual question WRONG : ) And I really don't care what dictionary is used, but it's good that Terry explained about it.

If I can get the monthly word wiz badge, then I suspect most other people can too (although perhaps not on the first attempt) - regardless of how many typos they might find. Very very few answers are illogical. I still like the game (and will keep playing it because I need a zillion or so points to get the WordWhatever mega badge) and I quite honestly don't know why people still continue to complain about it.

Edited by Jakeroo (Wed May 30 2012 07:36 PM)

#799692 - Mon Jun 04 2012 08:08 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Just came across this in WW...

"Prudence
Your answer: the quality of being prudent and sensible
the quality of being prudent and sensible is the definition for "wisdom"

The correct answer was discretion in practical affairs"

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.... frown

#805478 - Sat Jun 30 2012 03:14 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Terry]
Aedan57 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Vermont USA
I'm trying to turn in the word "adulthood". The word is rejected because of a "missing" letter "d".
The "d" is not missing, it's there!
The word is accepted by FT dictionary. What's my solution!

#805482 - Sat Jun 30 2012 03:22 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Aedan57]
Aedan57 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Vermont USA
It's OK, problem solved. Thanks for being patient!

#808704 - Sat Jul 14 2012 01:39 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Aedan57]
wonderputz Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New Hampshire USA
5. Technical terms for pregnancy

Your answer: replication

replication means "the persistence of a sound after its source has stopped"

The correct answer was gravidity

Sure, I missed the word gravidity when I chose replication (which would be a correct answer), but the given definition for replication doesn't make sense. According to the New Oxford American Dictionary:

replication |&#716;repli&#712;k&#257;SH&#601;n|
noun
1 the action of copying or reproducing something.
• a copy: a twentieth-century building would be cheaper than a replication of what was there before.
• the repetition of a scientific experiment or trial to obtain a consistent result.
• the process by which genetic material or a living organism gives rise to a copy of itself: HIV replication | a crucial step in cold virus replications.
2 Law, dated a plaintiff's reply to the defendant's plea.

I believe your definition is for reverberation.

#809948 - Fri Jul 20 2012 08:16 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: wonderputz]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
"8. Toner
Your answer: the purple or black-and-blue area resulting from a bruise

the purple or black-and-blue area resulting from a bruise is the definition for "ecchymosis"

The correct answer was a lotion for cleansing the skin and contracting the pores"

I only thought of ink toner, which is clearly not appropriate for cleansing the skin - quite au contraire, I dare say.

#809951 - Fri Jul 20 2012 09:13 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: JanIQ]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
grin

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#809952 - Fri Jul 20 2012 09:17 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: wonderputz]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: wonderputz
5. Technical terms for pregnancy

Your answer: replication

replication means "the persistence of a sound after its source has stopped"

The correct answer was gravidity

Sure, I missed the word gravidity when I chose replication (which would be a correct answer), but the given definition for replication doesn't make sense. According to the New Oxford American Dictionary:

replication |&#716;repli&#712;k&#257;SH&#601;n|
noun
1 the action of copying or reproducing something.
• a copy: a twentieth-century building would be cheaper than a replication of what was there before.
• the repetition of a scientific experiment or trial to obtain a consistent result.
• the process by which genetic material or a living organism gives rise to a copy of itself: HIV replication | a crucial step in cold virus replications.
2 Law, dated a plaintiff's reply to the defendant's plea.

I believe your definition is for reverberation.

Hi wonderputz,

I thought exactly the same as you but, looking at online dictionaries, it turns out that WW is correct.

From "The Free Dictionary by Farlex":

rep·li·ca·tion (rpl-kshn)
n.
1. A fold or a folding back.
2. A reply to an answer; a rejoinder.
3. Law The plaintiff's response to the defendant's answer or plea.
4. An echo or reverberation.
5. A copy or reproduction.
6. The act or process of duplicating or reproducing something.
7. Biology The process by which genetic material, a single-celled organism, or a virus reproduces or makes a copy of itself: replication of DNA.
8. In scientific research, the repetition of an experiment to confirm findings or to ensure accuracy.

smile

Edited by Chavs (Fri Jul 20 2012 09:21 AM)

#809961 - Fri Jul 20 2012 11:58 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Also wonderputz, be aware that the dictionary source for this game and other word games on the site is outside the control of Fun Trivia. We cannot make corrections to any errors found. I think the only game using individual records that we can influence is the database maintained by jmelston for the Who Am I? Game.
Back to the other games, Terry can and does I think block some content (for vulgarity?) from those other sources but cannot control their content once accepted. The other entities have copyrights on the material, meaning our use precludes changing anything even if we wanted to on our side of the virtual curtain.

Note also that you will encounter many archaic definitions to words in widespread use under different definitions (example not included since thinking of those things hurts the brain and brings back memories of a puppy I once had who...sob! Now see what you've done?)

#810032 - Sat Jul 21 2012 09:25 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: stedman]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
This might only interest me but I am sticking it up in case anyone else is interested.

"And when you saw his chariot but appear,
Have you not made an universal shout,
That Tiber trembled underneath her banks
To hear the replication of your sounds
Made in her concave shores?"

~ from Shakespeare (Julius Caesar)

But so far I can find nothing reliable for "Banch":

Originally Posted By: stedman
From today's set:

11. Banch
Your answer: (law) the seat for judges in a courtroom

I think this probably should be "bench".

Luckily I assumed it was a typo - none of the other answers seemed to fit the non-existant word "banch" either!

A couple of online dictionaries list it like this but I suspect (as Terry says upthread) they are using the same database and have copied a typo.

A court can sit "en banc" or "in banc" and a judge's seat is a "bench". But no banch.

This is just for interest because I find it interesting that accidentally repeated typos on the internet may be responsible for future changes in our language.

Edited by Chavs (Sat Jul 21 2012 09:30 AM)

#813746 - Wed Aug 08 2012 07:36 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
French for `worst going' - typo
The first quotation mark is an accent.

Page 39 of 51 < 1 2 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  Terry