Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#810487 - Tue Jul 24 2012 06:13 AM How Do You' Clean' Your House?
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
What do you consider a clean house? Do you vacuum daily? Dust weekly? How often do you wipe down the kitchen? Do you clean rooms that aren't used?

I've seen a lot of different examples of 'clean' houses. I'd like to hear some more.

#810489 - Tue Jul 24 2012 06:38 AM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: vendome]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I'm with Quentin Crisp: "After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse". laugh

#810491 - Tue Jul 24 2012 06:54 AM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: flopsymopsy]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I'm with flopsy on this one

#810494 - Tue Jul 24 2012 07:50 AM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: flopsymopsy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I'm with Quentin Crisp: "After the first four years the dirt doesn't get any worse". laugh

He is SO correct!

#810539 - Tue Jul 24 2012 01:24 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: sue943]
vendome Offline
Prolific

The reason I ask involves my sister. She is now widowed and her sons are married with homes of their own. Vivian (that's my sister)still lives in the enormous house she had when her family was living there; 3 bedroom, 3 bathrooms, large kitchen with dining area, large dining room, a family room and a large formal living room. To ad insult to injury, there is an office her husband used for business.

Vivian cleans the entire house every week. She washes the 30+ windows and has arrved at my place toting cleaning supplies. My house is clean but it's not spotless. She gets excited when she looks n the glass etagere in the living room that contains 30+ small plane models. I've NEVER cleaned inside and never intend to. We've all tried to get her to move but, since the house is paid for she's reluctant.
She's 82 yaars old but looks 40. She told me yesterday that she was on a ladder replacing light bulbs and got dizzy. I worry about her constantly.

Does anyone have a solution for my dear 'clean freak' sister?

#810542 - Tue Jul 24 2012 02:05 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: vendome]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
It doesn't work like that. You can't dive straight in to a solution.

Why are you worried about her - what bit of what she does don't you like? And why is she doing this whatever it is that you don't like?

My own suggestion would be to you, not to her: stop worrying. Would that work?
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#810551 - Tue Jul 24 2012 02:42 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: lesley153]
dumb_bunny Offline
Participant

Loc: Maine USA
I agree with lesley completely.

It seems like Vivian takes great care of her enormous house, and is well able to do so. I hope when I'm 82 I'll be doing the same.

#810555 - Tue Jul 24 2012 03:44 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: dumb_bunny]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Good point, bunny. She lives in a house she can clearly cope with. why should anyone want her to move, and what makes them think they have the right to an opinion about what she should be doing, let alone telling her what it is.

My mother had a three-bedroomed house to herself. She was surrounded by people telling her what they thought was best for her.
What do you do in that big house all day?
I wander from room to room...
Why?
Because I like it. And because I can.

Now it's my turn. I have a four-bedroomed house to myself. It's paid for now too. Why should anyone care how I live? Who has the right to judge what's too big? They do though!

I smile as sweetly as I can manage, and agree with them, and then we change the subject. It's the easiest way.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#810557 - Tue Jul 24 2012 03:58 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: dumb_bunny]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Leeds West Yorkshire UK       
I must admit, I am a bit of a 'cleanaholic'. House gets done from top to bottom every weekend...but then again I have 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, a lounge and a large kitchen and study.

Toilet is bleached every day, living room dusted and vacced every other day. Dishwasher on everyday and left spotless after every meal. Beds are changed every week. I can't do with an 'untidy' house.

I do my ironing every week...can't 'iron as I need it' and can't put it away unironed.

I did 30 years in the police force. I retired 4 years ago. I stayed at home for 6 months, I got rather bored, so after doing homecare for a couple of years, I changed jobs and now work on average, about 25 hours a week cleaning rather large houses. I love it! I find it therapeutic! It's a small company and I now do 'training' as well. The feedback I get is brilliant, which makes my job worthwhile. It's also stress free!

Since I started the cleaning job I have lost over 2 stone in weight! Superb exercise.

I hope that I have the energy of your sister, Vivian, when I am 82 years old! It seems to be keeping her very young and sprightly!

I guess we all have our own ways and routines with regards to cleaning. Try not to worry about your sister Vendome, it's just 'her way'.

#810558 - Tue Jul 24 2012 04:04 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: lesley153]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Vendome, clearly you care about your sister and are worried for her welfare. However, forcing her to move from the house she obviously loves and cares for is not a solution. I agree that her being dizzy when up a ladder is a worry, perhaps you could suggest she phones someone if this sort of thing needs doing. As for the cleaning, look she's obviously capable of doing it, and more to the point is happy. Her house is not just a house, it's where she raised her family, it's where her memories are, in other words, it's home. She loves her home and wants to keep it looking it's best - I know people who would kill to live next door to someone like that. Leave her to it, just let her know you worry about her up ladders and she would be doing you a favour if she got someone to either change the light bulbs for her if they need it, or at least has someone there when she does it - perhaps a neighbour could pop in.

#810566 - Tue Jul 24 2012 05:40 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: Christinap]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
My sister is now 86. She has refused to move out of her four bed-roomed house which only has a loo upstairs and I can't imagine that she'd let anyone change lightbulbs for her, unless they happen to be there when one goes pfft. She also has no help in the house (ha! try suggesting that and you'd get an earful) but then neither did my parents and they both lived to their late eighties.

My sister's kids are in the process of persuading her to wear a medical alert pendant so that if she falls she can call for assistance. Perhaps you could ask your sister to get one of those? I don't know what the cost would be in the USA but over here the monthly fee can be as low as $17.50. She might agree to do that for your sake.

#810615 - Wed Jul 25 2012 05:32 AM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: flopsymopsy]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Mum keeps the house immaculate ... no surprise! She hoovers/dusts at least two or three times a week, as well as giving the bathroom and bedrooms a good going over at least once a week. We have the window-cleaner and the gardener come once a fortnight too. We only live in a three-bedroomed house (we need the other bedroom for our craft stuff lol !) and it's just about right for us. Agreed, the medical alert pendant are useful to those who live alone.

#810679 - Wed Jul 25 2012 12:20 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: JaneMarple]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Dizzy on the ladder means getting a complete physical centered around that symptom. Forget all the other stuff. Get her to a doctor ASAP! It may turn out to just have been exposure to cleaning fluids or too much exposure to them.

#810697 - Wed Jul 25 2012 02:04 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: mehaul]
dumb_bunny Offline
Participant

Dizzy on the ladder may also mean nothing at all. I am several decades younger than the sister,in excellent health but sometimes I get a bit dizzy standing on a chair to change a lightbulb. Now, if she had said she was sitting quietly reading and felt dizzy, then I would say a once-over by a pro would be in order.

#810699 - Wed Jul 25 2012 02:06 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: dumb_bunny]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Sorry, but at 82 any session of dizziness is reason to get checked out.

#810723 - Wed Jul 25 2012 02:57 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: mehaul]
dumb_bunny Offline
Participant

I'm not saying it couldn't be a sign of something serious, but if this is an isolated incident chances are it was nothing to be worried about. I imagine at age 82 people see doctors fairly regularly, so maybe she is on top of her health as she is with her enormous house.In any case, the OP hasn't joined the debate since his first post so perhaps this will go down in history as an unsolved mystery.

#810760 - Wed Jul 25 2012 05:14 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: dumb_bunny]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Think that an 82 year old casually mentions in converstion to a sibling a dizzy spell? It must have been an incident of note and out of the ordinary to bring it up. She's alone. She must have been extremely frightened and had no companion to help decide if it's worth worrying over. She tests the waters by mentioning it to her brother. If the brother ignores it then nothing is worth worrying about. But the brother should know that dizzy spells in the elderly can be an early warning sign for Blood in brain circulation problems, first signs of stroke or the onset of Alzheimer's.

Edit to add: Vendome did come back in after the original posting. And it was then that he revealed his sister's dizzy spell. It may just have been the chemicals in the cleaner she was using (if she was cleaning crystals in a chandelier while changing the light), she might have whiffed too much ammonia or another chlorinated product and that caused the dizziness or Vertigo. But better to check. Some events of earlier normal life, like bumping your head, previously might not be cause of worry or note. In this case, an unnoted head bump might have caused damage to the inner ear. One might not note the bump but the dizzy is scary. Ear damage needs an exam to determine the level of overall danger to the victim.

Edit again to correctly state vendome's masculinity. Sorry.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 26 2012 05:52 PM)

#810767 - Wed Jul 25 2012 05:43 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: mehaul]
dumb_bunny Offline
Participant

Ok, mehaul. You obviously have strong feelings about this dizzy spell. I admitted it may or may not be a sign of a serious issue, but the way it was mentioned didn't seem to be too alarming. I simply said it COULD be nothing at all. It was just once, after all. That said, I think this conversation has changed drastically from the original question which was about house cleaning.

Sooo...I also clean every day. Not necessarily because I want to, but my house is in the woods and the woods are full of bugs.Since it's been humid here in Maine, some of these bugs have been coming inside the house. I prefer my bugs to stay outside.

#810771 - Wed Jul 25 2012 05:55 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: dumb_bunny]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
Like flopsymopsy and Christinap, I'm in the Quentin Crisp camp. Somehow I feel that obsessive cleaning and disinfecting weakens our natural immmune systems , and probably does more harm than good in the long run. Even so, if I had regular bug invasions, I might clean the place a bit more often.

#810788 - Wed Jul 25 2012 07:44 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: TabbyTom]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I vacuum the "upstairs" every day (it's all laminate flooring, so it only takes 10 minutes at most - honestly, get rid of your carpeting folks lol). The "man cave" in the basement is my husband's "problem". I never go down there except to do laundry, get stuff out of the deep freeze, or to turn up the water heater so I can have a decent bath since hubby is, to say the least, a "skinflint" LOL.

We live in an 1124 square foot house (including basement) with only two bedrooms. There ARE no "extra" rooms that are "not used" lol.

If there are no pill-bugs, ants, cockroaches, bed bugs or silverfish in my house (which there are NOT), then I'm doing just fine, thanks. Yes, we have a few spiders - get over it (I happen to like them)

I'm rather anal (no pun intended) about fastidiously cleaning our bathrooms. But No, I do NOT expect you to eat off my floor. I assure you that my hands, dishes, counters, tables and bedding are completely sanitised. I DO collect dust and wrinkles, but that's MY problem ( unless you're asthmatic regarding the former).

If you don't like my habits, I'm sure there are many restaurants and hotels with MUCH lower standards than mine (but they're not free lol).

Edited by Jakeroo (Wed Jul 25 2012 08:04 PM)

#810789 - Wed Jul 25 2012 07:53 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: dumb_bunny]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: dumb_bunny
the original question which was about house cleaning.

It never was really about house-cleaning, though, was it?

I agree with dumb_bunny about the dizzy spell, and with Mr Crisp and his fans about the dust.

I also always thought that the OP was a he.

#810790 - Wed Jul 25 2012 08:04 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: lesley153]
veronikkamarrz Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Carson City
Nevada USA 
I also agree with all who have said the sister is fine doing whatever she wants. I would like to be doing the same, when I'm that age. I don't have any problem looking 'down' from a ladder, or any height...However, I get a bit dizzy looking 'up', as in changing a bulb.

It's funny how a topic can get turned around, to suit peoples need to advise...:)

#810800 - Wed Jul 25 2012 09:33 PM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: veronikkamarrz]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

dumb_bunny,
A week ago a neighbor and close friend of 90 died in a rehab center. She had fallen in her home and opened up a big gash in her head. From the hospital she went to rehab. I talked to her a couple of days before she passed on and her voice was an uncontrolled slur, sounding like she'd had a stroke. For the past year she has had falling episodes and the doctors found nothing wrong. They attributed it to geriactric episodes. Her kids got her a MedAlert system. The doctors told her kids it was due to Alzheimers that she was falling. She never forgot one thing in all the years I knew her.
Right now, maybe I'm a little sensitive to the issue of elderly women getting dizzy and the doctors not doing anything and her kids feeling satisfied by getting an electronic call system (though they did want her moved into an assisted living facility, she rejected that move).

I follow Pippi Longstocking's method of floor cleaning, rev 1. I get the dog all soapy and slide him across the floor. Gets him and the floor done at the same time.

#810934 - Thu Jul 26 2012 09:28 AM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: mehaul]
vendome Offline
Prolific

OK guys. To answer a question and to clarify a few things; I'm a guy. Either that or I'm one ugly female complete with chest hair and moustache. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in describing my sister's activities with regard to her housekeeping. I spoke with her yesterday afternoon; she announced that she had scrubbbd the huge deck in the back of her house and had washed down the 2 love seats and 4 chairs it contains. She then added, "I've never sat out there." I wondered....then why clean it? She scrubs the garage floor-another area that I would never touch. I adore my sister and am afraid that she will overdo it and wind up in the hospital...or worse.

I'm not convinced she likes all that cleaning; it could be force of habit or the satisfaction one gets from a difficult job well done. My point is that if you don't have to undertake these strenuous and potentially dangerous tasks--why do them?

Edited by vendome (Thu Jul 26 2012 09:29 AM)

#810941 - Thu Jul 26 2012 10:18 AM Re: How Do You' Clean' Your House? [Re: vendome]
dumb_bunny Offline
Participant

Hi vendome, I'm sure those of us following this thread are so glad to hear your sis is doing so well. It seems the dizzy spell was, in fact, an isolated incident that could have happened to anyone at all, regardless of age. She might not "like" doing all the cleaning, but there is such a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment when it's all been done. Your sis sounds like an awesome lady.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943