Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#804742 - Wed Jun 27 2012 07:53 AM The last film you watched ...
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
"Have you seen a good movie recently? Let us know!" says the category blurb.

I know there's a similar thread on the other chat boards but perhaps it would be nice to have one here too?

What's the last film you watched?

And more importantly -- without giving anything away! -- was it any good?

No spoilers. cool

The last film I watched was "Insomnia" directed by Christoper Nolan and starring Al Pacino. (2002)

It wasn't perfect but it was very good, very enjoyable, and slightly unusual as thrillers go. I see that the New York Times described it as a "Noir Thriller" and certainly that fits it. It has more in common with the noir genre than today's modern thriller anyway. It's more about storyline and character than car chases. Watch it if you like a good story.

4 stars!

#804760 - Wed Jun 27 2012 10:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
The last one I watched was "War Horse." There are so many movies about WWll, and not nearly as many on "The Great War." To view the horrors of war primarily through the experience of a horse was an inspired concept (I don't remember the name of the book's author) and I thought it was well done and enlightening. The several horses the filmakers used to portray the war horse of the title were absolutely amazing!

#804872 - Wed Jun 27 2012 03:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: jabb5076]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

I'm so glad you mentioned that one, I had forgotten about it and need to put it back on my "to watch" list.

I watched a documentary about turning it from book into stageplay for the National Theatre in London, and the puppet horse they made was astounding.

#804877 - Wed Jun 27 2012 03:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"The Kids are Alright" with Juliane Moore and Annette Bening. I thought it was pretty good - I liked that all the characters were likable people who each did something wrong. Everyone behaved badly to some extent, but nobody was really the bad guy.

My daughter didn't like it much, for much the same reason. Moral ambiguity is more appealing, I think, at 50 than at 20.

#804933 - Wed Jun 27 2012 10:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I just watched 'Abraham Lincoln', Vampire Hunter, in 3D, no less, and you know what?, i loved it.
I know the premise is, to say the least off kilter and to some, sacrilegious, but it works.
It takes the known history of Lincoln himself and the civil war and weaves vampires into the story in such a way
as to make it in it's own way, interesting.
It was directed by Tim Burton too, so take that into consideration as well.
The sight of Abe wielding an axe like he was born to it was alone worth the price of admission.

#804980 - Thu Jun 28 2012 04:58 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: george48]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I watched The Burning Plain the other day ... Charlize Theron, Kim Basinger, Jennifer Lawrence (from The Hunger Games).

I really liked it, and was surprised to find it was a box-office bummer with generally lousy reviews. What most reviewers didn't like was precisely what kept me interested the most ... the way scenes from the film jolt forward and backwards in time without explanation, and the fact there are separate 'threads' of characters/plot that look unconnected.

Anyone else see it? Like? Hate?

#805618 - Sun Jul 01 2012 01:30 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: dsimpy]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Never heard of it, dsimpy. Considering the huge marketing exercise that the film industry is, it's a pity that films that don't buzz immediately at the Box Office can fall into obscurity quite easily while some duff ones go on to be household names. I fell for the buzz around the Blair Witch Project at the time and still wish I had asked for my money back.

George, I would never have thought of watching 'Abraham Lincoln', Vampire Hunter, but you have me curious now.

Agony, I really liked "The Kids are Alright" too. I thought Juliane Moore and Annette Bening were great in it. It's in the Woody-Allen-esque genre, I think. Is that a genre? It is now.

Edited by Chavs (Sun Jul 01 2012 01:31 AM)

#805621 - Sun Jul 01 2012 03:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Southn Highlands NSW Australia
dsimpy The Burning Plain was good movie i never heard of it til a couple months when it was on Pay TV,Charlize Theron was very good

#805653 - Sun Jul 01 2012 11:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: wwe84]
mehaul Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Just turned off my portable DVD player after watching "Where the Heart Is". Saw this thread and decided to weigh in. A good flick demonstrating Natalie Portmen's abilities to portray emotions. Great supporting cast with Ashley Judd, Stockard Channing, Sally Field, Joan Cusack, James Frain and Dylan Bruno.
The tale is built around a woman who gives birth to a baby in a WalMart she has been clandestinely living in since her sperm donor abandoned her outside it. Slowly her life comes back together. Though not in Kansas, there is a nice tornado scene where this Dorothy seems to grow from teen mom to Emerald City citizen. The movie shows that into each life a little rain must fall, sometimes it feels like a hurricane. A definite feel good, pick me up film to watch.

Edit: Not to be confused with the Dabney Coleman/Uma Thurman "Where the Heart Is"

Edited by mehaul (Sun Jul 01 2012 11:28 AM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#808641 - Sat Jul 14 2012 07:56 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Put myself through the agony of watching "My Cousin Rachel" (1952) starring Olivia de Havilland & Richard Burton, from the book by Daphne Du Maurier.

A very good story spoiled.

Full of actorry melodrama.

Ripe for a re-make.

#808642 - Sat Jul 14 2012 07:59 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

And exactly the same goes for.... "The Tenth Man", starring Anthony Hopkins, Derek Jacobi and Kristin Scott Thomas, based on the novel by Graham Greene.

(But replace melodrama with hammy acting).

Bring on the re-make quick!

#808762 - Sat Jul 14 2012 04:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
"Jesus Christ Superstar" was remarkable for the music and the unique way Norman Jewison chose to present the tale of the Passion in a mixed then and now art. Also of note is that there is not one scene shot on a sound stage (good dubbing or lip-synching as it's come to be known).

I thought watching this out of season (summer vs Easter) might impact my take on it. It turned out to be much like Christmas in July for I had never seen the film before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Actually, with the warm summer weather, I could identify more with the setting of the story and movie.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jul 14 2012 08:05 PM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#808767 - Sat Jul 14 2012 06:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Chavs, just watched "Rebecca" (another Du Maurier) and remember why I dislike this story so much. To my eyes it's not a romance but the story of an abusive man with almost pedophiliac tendencies - obviously not the way it was seen at the time the film was made.

#808898 - Sun Jul 15 2012 03:45 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Yes, I agree with you, it was pretty disturbing! They pulled off the melodrama in Rebecca, though - well, more than My Cousin Rachel did anyway. ( imho, natch!)

Never seen Jesus Christ Superstar, must give it a go!

#811005 - Thu Jul 26 2012 05:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
"K 19 - The Widowmaker"

Liam Neeson and Harrison Ford - need I say more? wink

(Only thing that could have improved it would have been adding Pierce Brosnan and Michael Douglas!)

Editor for Television Category

#811019 - Thu Jul 26 2012 09:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Scout" with Albert Brooks and Brendan Fraser. A pretty good movie, I've always thought, that didn't have the success it deserved. I think it was probably marketed wrong - the trailers and packaging make it look like a madcap comedy and while it's funny, it's not funny in that madcap way. Kinda touching, in fact.

Brooks is a baseball scout who finds the worlds greatest player (Fraser) All would be well, except he's got some serious emotional issues. Great performances.

#812385 - Thu Aug 02 2012 02:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
darksplash Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyrone Northern Ireland UK 
Just back from the new Batman movie. Action scenes good, dialogue scenes a bit long...and Michael Caine was cringingly woeful.
(Also Movie a bit long at 2.5 hours, and that is after the commercials and trailers)

#813078 - Sun Aug 05 2012 04:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: darksplash]
wwe84 Online   content
Multiloquent

i watched The Reunion with John Cena,Amy Smart & Ethan Embry this wasn't a good movie and WWE should stop making movies cause they have only made 2 good movies in The Condemned with Stone Cold and 12 Rounds with John Cena can't believe they are making a sequel to 12 Rounds called 12 Rounds:Reloaded with Randy Orton

in all wouldn't bother watching this movie again

#813108 - Sun Aug 05 2012 07:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: wwe84]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I watched "the Guard" and it was hilarious .. in a dark kind of way.
It's an Irish movie with a bit of humour, bit of mystery and a bit of a twist at the end.

#813114 - Sun Aug 05 2012 09:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Copago]
agony Offline

Administrator

My daughter wants me to watch "The Avengers" with her, and insists we watch all the superhero movies that lead up to it. So far we've seen "Ironman", "The Hulk" and "Captain America". I'm not a fan of action movies, but found the first two at least watchable; "Captain America" was, I'm sorry, just dreadful. Barely coherent, and with no redeeming qualities that I could see.

#813139 - Mon Aug 06 2012 03:29 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Copago]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

To add the a run of disappointments, I watched "London River", a story set in London in the days after the 7/7 bombs.

It should and could have been a film of real genius. Instead it kept tripping itself up by trying to be too clever. The mixture of French & English only served to interrupt some of the most emotional scenes, with sudden subtitles shattering the moments.

One virtually wordless scene in particular was beautifully acted but the emotional climax got totally destroyed when subtitles suddenly appeared on the bottom of the screen to translate the most basic French phrase (Bon Voyage).

I concluded that it must have been written as a showcase for the male lead, Sotigui Kouyaté, who speaks French & whose acting prowess cannot be ignored. But that's a travesty because Brenda Blethyn's undeniable greatness was compromised by the interruptions, and - worse than that - all this faffing about distracted from the film's best point which was that it captured (superbly) the backstreets of ordinary London with ordinary people going through the banal, hideous, and lonely process of finding missing people after the bombings.

It's a film worth watching for all its genius, really it is, but watch it with a strong coffee and all your wits about you because you will have to work as hard as the film crew to get the most out of it.

Originally Posted By: Copago
I watched "the Guard" and it was hilarious .. in a dark kind of way.
It's an Irish movie with a bit of humour, bit of mystery and a bit of a twist at the end.

Good to hear, will stick that on my "to watch list"!

#813201 - Mon Aug 06 2012 08:50 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Interesting to hear this viewpoint. I'm hard of hearing, and watch all movies with closed captioning on, just to make sure I catch everything. My kids, who have normal hearing, have gotten into the habit through watching with me, and now also always use it. The result of this is that we don't find subtitles distracting at all, we're so used to them. Probably someone like me would have a completely different reaction to this film.

#813214 - Mon Aug 06 2012 09:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

That's a very good point but I find that using closed captions or subtitles stops being distracting after a short while and have watched some great films where the subtitles didn't bother me in the least - Das Boot, Pan's Labyrinth & Life is Beautiful are 3 of my favourite films and I loved Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon too. The subtitles make no difference to my rating because they didn't detract.

I just found the switching from one language to another distracting in this one. There seemed to be no need. In some war films they have used both German and English (and therefore some subtitling) but it seemed to me to be pertinent and didn't interfere with emotional moments. In this film, emotion was everything and I thought choices about which language to use and when to use the captions just served to remind me that I was watching a film rather than let me be drawn into it.

But I am very interested to know if I am the only one who felt that. It could just have been my mood even! & Maybe if I had been forewarned it wouldn't have thrown me.

#814098 - Fri Aug 10 2012 10:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Online   content
Multiloquent

Watched Three Fugitives with Martin Short & Nick Nolte it's my favourite Martin Short ever this movie is so funny one of my favourite moments in the movie is when Ned Martin Short's character shoots Lucas in the leg and he takes him to Dr Horvath who is a vet but Dr Horvath is so out of it that he thinks Lucas is a dog he treats him like that

one of the funniest movies ever

#814190 - Fri Aug 10 2012 05:27 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: wwe84]
kalathena Offline
Participant

Loc: Michigan USA          
Last American movie I watched was BOTTLE SHOCK with Chris Pine and Alan Rickman. A cute little movie about Napa Valley in 1976 and how their wines got to be world renown.

The last Bollywood film I watched was DOSTANA, the remake, not the original, which I admit, I have never seen. Abishek Bachchan did a lovely job with this fun comedy, following in his father's footsteps. Now I just have to track down the original so I can see his dad's performance.

Edited by kalathena (Fri Aug 10 2012 09:24 PM)

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong