Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#811177 - Fri Jul 27 2012 06:27 PM Who Would You Choose?
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
I submitted this ages ago because the thoughts fascinated me. It went over like a ton of bricks. Only one person answered. I still think it's interesting.

The question is: If you could choose two people to have for dinner, who would they be?

The rules are that the persons must be deceased and more obvious answers like Jesus, family members, etc. are exempt. And the people have to have had some sort of fame.

I have at least 15 people I'd like to include; I working on
narrowing it down to 2.

Is this dumb? If so just tell me. I won't be upset or angry. I will, however, be vindictive and sullen.

Edited by vendome (Fri Jul 27 2012 06:30 PM)

#811185 - Fri Jul 27 2012 07:54 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: vendome]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
Oh, it's almost impossible to narrow it down to two people, but if I had to choose, I'd pick William Shakespeare and Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens.) Oscar Wilde would be a very close third. Pretty obvious choices for an English teacher, but you go with your interests.

#811188 - Fri Jul 27 2012 10:04 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: jabb5076]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Really hard to narrow down the choices, and my first choice is still living, so I'll go with Aboriginal writer and activist Oodgeroo Noonuccal (Kath Walker)and Pastor Sir Doug Nicholls, formerly Governor of South Australia. Sir Doug was the first Aboriginal person to be knighted, he was an all round athlete and worked with our troubled young people - what a role model !
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#811269 - Sat Jul 28 2012 09:09 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: tezza1551]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Any of the less well-known signers of the Declaration of Independence, and Rosa Parks.

Some, like John Adams and Martin Luther King, Jr., are born to be protestors ... rebelling against parents and teachers, since before they could talk. Others protest when they've gotten to that 'last straw' ... sweet, docile people, who were pushed one time too many.

It's the latter that interest me. What gave them the courage, what made them finally say, "Enough!"?

#811278 - Sat Jul 28 2012 10:19 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: postcards2go]
sue943 Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
No actual names but a doctor/surgeon from a hundred years ago and a current highly ranked doctor/surgeon just to listen to them discussing then and now.

Can you imagine the look on the face of the old doctor when he was told that now they can cut open a human heart, mend it then start it up again? Then to be able to listen to the difficulties faced way back when.

#811299 - Sat Jul 28 2012 02:03 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: sue943]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Very hard to narrow it down, but I'd have a hard time NOT picking John Lennon and Kurt Cobain.

#811305 - Sat Jul 28 2012 03:50 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: guitargoddess]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I would have Banjo Paterson who is an Australian bush poet and Don Bradman, cricketer.

#811306 - Sat Jul 28 2012 03:55 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Copago]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Very hard to pick just two.

I think John Kennedy and Elvis Presley would be my top two.

#811313 - Sat Jul 28 2012 05:00 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Christinap]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
Great answers! I'd pick George Frideric Handel and Marie Antoinette.

Handel because, in my opinion, he was and is the greatest Baroque composer. His compositions are so varied; from lovely, quiet and contemplative works to rousing choruses. Mozart is right up there too, but he was born a genius, Handel worked to become one. He remains popular 270 years after his death.

Marie Antoinette has been so slandered by history. She never said, "Let them eat cake."
She was a dedicated, brave and dignified woman who was sent at age 13 to the vicious court at Versailles by her mother, Holy Roman Empress Maria Theresa, to settle A political plot against William of Prussia. In order to do this she needed the backing of Louis XV of France.
Austria and France had been at war for 200 years and France lost; Louis wanted William obliterated too, so a pact was signed. Archduchess Maria Antonia was the pawn; her mother promised her to Louis Auguste, the Dauphin of France. The French were horrified that a former enemy and victor would eventually become their Queen; she was hated before she arrived. L'Autrichein is French for a citizen from Austria' Chienne is French for 'bitch'. he was called '"Autrichienne before she arrived. I find this next bit of history amazing, sad and disgustng, Marie Antoinette was hated becuse she was Austrian, a Queen when monarchies were losing power and was accused of the most scandalous liasons with court males. When Napoleon divorced Josephine because she did not produce chiidren....who does he choose as his second wife? Marie Louise, Marie Antoinette's niece, an Austrian Archduchsss. He elevated her status and power from Queen to Empress. And she was no saint. She dd what the revolutionaries accused their former Queen of - sexual promiscuity. Empress Marie Louise bore several dildren by several men while marrid to Napoleon.

GO FIGURE.

Edited by vendome (Sat Jul 28 2012 07:06 PM)

#811318 - Sat Jul 28 2012 05:45 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: vendome]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
I think I'm going to Copago's for dinner that night !
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#811419 - Sun Jul 29 2012 08:50 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: tezza1551]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Charlemagne and Nikola Tesla

#811452 - Sun Jul 29 2012 01:23 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Jakeroo]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
When asked this years ago, I remember only one of my choices and I still will choose him: Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain).

As for my other choice, I think I'd like to pick Moses. (You said not Jesus, so Moses is my next choice.)

#811522 - Sun Jul 29 2012 05:15 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: ClaraSue]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Winston Churchill and Leonardo Da Vinci.

#811576 - Sun Jul 29 2012 10:27 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: mountaingoat]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Pretty tough question... I'd go for Sir Donald Bradman (legendary Australian cricketer) and J.R.R. Tolkien (I'm a big fan of his work). George Harrison would come 3rd.

Edited by Daaanieeel (Sun Jul 29 2012 10:29 PM)

#811577 - Sun Jul 29 2012 10:39 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Daaanieeel]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Dickens and Shakespeare, no contest.

#811586 - Mon Jul 30 2012 01:50 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: ren33]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: ren33
Dickens and Shakespeare, no contest.

Excellent choice. I'm tempted to gatecrash. I can never make a choice but if I'm allowed to gatecrash yours I'll bring Kenneth Williams with me.

As an aside, I was watching an old Parkinson interview last night and how I wish there were interview shows like that these days. He had 3 guests on and they just sparked and chatted away covering both frivolous and serious topics.

Kenneth Williams, Maggie Smith and John Betjeman. Good mix. If anyone can use the BBC iPlayer it will be on that.

#811588 - Mon Jul 30 2012 02:33 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Chavs]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Spike Milligan and Helen of Troy.

Should be some rather strange and interesting conversations. smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#811591 - Mon Jul 30 2012 03:41 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: tezza1551]
Copago Offline

Originally Posted By: tezza1551
I think I'm going to Copago's for dinner that night !

You'd be most welcome laugh
I wouldn't even want conversation from Banjo, although I'm sure he'd have interesting tales to tell, but he could just recite ballads for me and I'd be happy. smile

Edited by Copago (Mon Jul 30 2012 03:45 AM)

#815796 - Thu Aug 16 2012 10:17 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Copago]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
I don't think I could eat a whole person for dinner, much less two. But I do know I wouldn't pick any who have been dead for over 12 hours.

"When life gives you people, get a bigger blender." -- me

#815798 - Thu Aug 16 2012 11:15 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: vendome]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
This is a very very tough question. I will put down two here right now, but I may change them after further thought.

So, the two people I would like to meet for dinner....Ste. Jeanne d'Arc and Leonardo da Vinci.

#815812 - Fri Aug 17 2012 01:14 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: kaddarsgirl]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Bobby Sands and JFK.

#815821 - Fri Aug 17 2012 02:28 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: dsimpy]
Copago Offline

Bobby Sands would be interesting .. actually I would take any Norther Irishman just for the accent wink ... or Sean Connery for the same reason. laugh

#815851 - Fri Aug 17 2012 06:44 AM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Copago]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Alan Turing and Marilyn Monroe

#816169 - Sat Aug 18 2012 02:45 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: Snowman]
darksplash Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyrone Northern Ireland UK 
Phil Ochs and Harry Chapin.
I'd make them sing for their supper, and the music would sound good.

#816246 - Sat Aug 18 2012 11:20 PM Re: Who Would You Choose? [Re: darksplash]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
Interesting conversation might be had between Hippocrates and Dr Josef Mengele?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943