Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#811870 - Tue Jul 31 2012 02:11 PM The Endurance Badge from my perspective.
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Hello, FTers.

I'm Michael. You may have noticed my screen name (Mikey76500) at the top of the points leaderboards for nearly all of Monday, July 30. I got the Gold-Member-only Endurance Badge, having scored 40 082 points for the day.

...and belieeeeeeeve me, those were the most exhausting 40 082 points I've ever scored in my young 21-year-old life.

I wanted to make this post mostly because I wanted to give some advice about Endurance from the perspective of someone who *isn't* Kickaha49 or Alan56 or Rossian or Genoveva or Matthewpokemon.....you know, people who are extremely smart, extremely good, and could score Endurance on an almost daily basis for multiple times in a row if they could.

This is advice from a guy who was not only at Level 37 when he started this arduous task, and didn't have ANY of those 40 000 points scored in ANY Gold-Member only areas, so that the little people who AREN'T gifted, experienced Centurions (like me) can relate.

I won't go into details of what I did (I don't wanna anger the mods or admins), but, I can basically tell you what I believe are the 5 most important requirements for the Endurance Badge. There are OTHER vital requirements, but these--in my humble opinion--are the MOST vital. If you can't abide by all 5 of these rules, you probably should pick another day to attempt.

Firstly, *Please* make sure you have the free time to attempt this. According to the challenge page of Endurance itself, it used to be called the "24 Hours Of FunTrivia Badge". Centurions like Genoveva and Kickaha49 still call it the "Blood Badge", because of the 'drop of blood' depicted on the Badge itself. It's both, really, and it requires that you have both the time, energy and patience to stay indoors (and awake) almost much all day to get it.
If you have to go to work that day, forget it.
If you have to babysit for an extended period of time that day, forget it.
If you have errands to run that day, forget it.
Chances say that you don't have a chance in heck to pull it off if you spend too much time not scoring, especially when nighttime comes round, when brilliant people like the names above have already broken the 20 000-point barrier.

Secondly, Make sure you know how to score big. As some example of what I mean by "big", *I* scored 40 082 points on Monday, July 30. Now, to be honest, I *was* gonna quit at 35 000, when I noticed that I had a 10 000-point lead over the player in 2nd place. But, I then decided to go for breaking 40 000, just in case anyone had any last minute ideas. I finally called it quits at 11:30 PM (FT time), or thereabouts. The Endurance Challenge Page says that a *minimum* of 25 000 points are required to score it on a slow day, although, expert player Alan56 told me in so few words that he scored a couple thousand less than that to get his Endurance.
In fact, according to what Kickaha49 told me, the experts who already have Endurance (like Kickaha49 himself, and other big names like Genoveva, Matthewpokemon and Alan56) had plans ahead of time and knew exactly how to implement those plans to maximum advantage.
Endurance usually requires 20 000-25 000 points. *Usually*. In reality, though, you can easily score 20 000 points in *12* hours, much less 24, so, before you attempt this exorbitant task, Take a week or so to look around the site and try to keep track of how *you personally* score the most points in a day; If you're good enough and consistent enough with your method, it may work. No guarantees, though.

Thirdly--and this is a very important one--Make. No. Assumptions. You can be overtaken by anyone at almost any time.
The day of the week matters not.
What time it is matters not.
Whether or not it's a holiday matters not.
The fact that you may only need 18 000-20 000 because it's kind of a slow day matters not.
Whether or not you're 10 000 points in front of 2nd place matters not.
Never assume that you'll just luck out and win; that's almost always a recipe for failure.
Between the experienced and seasoned experts that *know* how to score a lot of points really fast, the single-minded fury of the members that *don't* have Endurance (and are going for it) and the unpredictability of new members to the site who may not even know that they're going for the top spot to begin with, your attempt is almost never predictable as long as your total stands still, especially as there are multiple strategies to score thousands of points in mere minutes, especially if you're as gifted as the names above.
Taking an occasional break is one thing, but, if you start slacking off, and you're not over 30 000 points, chances are, you *will* pay for it.

Fourthly--and most importantly--Be ready to start scoring the INSTANT that the day starts. The FunTrivia clocks set up in a few places around the site go by Central Standard Time, unless I'm mistaken, and the day always starts at 11:50 PM instead of midnight (Don't ask. I dunno why, either). The second that the FT clocks tick over from 11:49, you should be well ready to start implementing your plans and methods so that you have the most realistic chances possible. Nearly everyone who won this badge was ready at 11:49.
You better be ready then, as well. As a wise lady once told me, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail."

Fifthly, and finally, Don't be discouraged if you don't make it. I didn't get it on my first attempt. MANY others before me failed their first, second, third, fourth, and--in the case of Centurion Matthewpokemon--FIFTH attempts.
You could also take the hyper-gifted Rossian, as a prime example.
Rossian joined the Team I call home *loooooong* before I ever thought about sending her the invite to join it. She's very experienced, very smart, and knows more than you or I do (most likely). She's not only the most accomplished female player in all of FT, she's the 2nd most accomplished player in all of FT, *regardless* of gender.
The lady is Level 170, and if *SHE* finds this badge to be one heck of a doozy to earn, imagine how hard it might be for *YOU*.
If you find yourself falling short again and again, Take another week to review your methods, as I did for my 40 082-point second attempt, and see if there isn't a faster and better way. You could always PM people who've done it before, as I also did for my second attempt, and *politely* ask what them they did to get it--it may help you out next time. If you--like Rossian--see it as a task that you just can't do, or don't have time for, that'd be perfectly understandable, as well; as Kickaha49 once told me, "There's a reason that it looks like a drop of blood."

It's just what it sounds like; an Endurance marathon of truly exhausting proportions. But, if you follow these steps well, you can make things a little easier on yourself. Maybe. Hopefully.

Good luck.

(Special thanks to Rossian, Genoveva, Alan56, Kickaha49 and Matthewpokemon for giving me permission ahead of time to use their names in this post as examples of accomplished FT players. You're all awesome. =) )

Edited by Mikey76500 (Wed Aug 01 2012 12:02 AM)

#811892 - Tue Jul 31 2012 03:37 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
I'm sorry, but are you just trying to deter people from going for the badge? I don't recognise much of what you say as being necessary, particularly the requirement to start as soon as the FT day begins.

I'm not sure which part of your post was designed to make the challenge easier for people - or are you just celebrating your achievement? If you are, well, congratulations.

#811912 - Tue Jul 31 2012 04:25 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: dippo]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Dippo, you're a Centurion, yourself. You already have Endurance, and you're already an experienced player, so, of course someone as experienced as yourself might not see the point. The point is to make Endurance that little bit easier for the people who are thinking about doing it or have already tried and were unlucky.

Some of those people *aren't* at Level 157, and aren't gifted at answering trivia questions, either.

This isn't the arena to to brag. I know better. I'm just showing people that aren't as experienced as Centurions that even you *don't* have to be level 1,000 to do this. Just follow a few rules, and your chances should increase. Not everyone is good enough to start their run at 5:00 AM and succeed.

Edited by Mikey76500 (Tue Jul 31 2012 11:27 PM)

#811913 - Tue Jul 31 2012 04:30 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

England UK         
Originally Posted By: Mikey76500
font:Arial b
Dippo, you're a Centurion, yourself. You already have Endurance, and you're already an experienced player, so, of course someone as experienced as yourself might not see the point.

But I wasn't when I won the badge.

#811915 - Tue Jul 31 2012 04:42 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: dippo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I disagree with Dippo on this one, I do see the point. I was a Centurion when I went for the badge, but much of what Mikey is saying does make sense. I started early in the day and just played steadily allowing myself breaks for lunch, that sort of thing. Had a bit of a rest in the afternoon, played all evening until about 1am local time, which was five hours before the day ended. I had some tips from others on the team about scoring heavily in a short space of time, which helped.

Mikey is right in that you need to be sure you have the time to devote to getting this bade, you won't get it in a couple or three hours. He is also trying to be encouraging to those at lower levels by saying you don't have to have been here for four or five years and be at a high level to get it. Anyone who puts in enough effort and scores enough points in a day can do it. If you happen to be at a low level when you start you might well find you pick up some badges and levels on the way as a sort of added bonus as well. You do however need to decide today is the day I'm going to go for it, and just be prepared to sit and play without distractions.

Good luck to anyone who reads these posts and decides to give it a go.

#811955 - Tue Jul 31 2012 10:40 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Christinap]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
It was very good of you Mikey to write this with a view to inspire some of us to finally tackle this most daunting challenge. It is never very far away from my mind but I wouldn't want to be aiming for it more than once so I appreciate all the information you've given so that I can steel myself for the task at hand. I'm hoping for a very snowy day (lord knows, it could be anytime here actually!) when the kids are away and I have nothing pressing on my calendar! Thank you! And congratulations on getting the badge.

#811958 - Tue Jul 31 2012 11:14 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Barbarini]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

@ Dippo: Congrats. you're living proof that it can be done below Level 100.
This post is designed to help others do the same; I'm not just typing useless junk, here. It can help.

@ Christina: I hope Dippo read your post, because you explain it even better than I did. Thank you for being so claritive.
Oh, and thanks for the positive feedback, too. =)

@ Barbarini: Anytime. I'd rather not anyone struggle with this challenge like I did on my first attempt. I learned the hard way that you can't just stroll in at 10:00 AM and expect to automatically blow everyone away. Leave it to chance as little as humanly possible; be here when the FT clock clicks over from 11:49 to have the maximum chance for success.

UPDATE! (7/31/12, 11:56 PM, FT Time)

An edit has been made; Matthewpokemon finally got around to giving me permission to use his name and experience as well; Rule 5, in particular, covers part of his experiences. Thanks, Matthew!

Edited by Mikey76500 (Wed Aug 01 2012 12:10 AM)

#811961 - Wed Aug 01 2012 01:10 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Dippo - Michael is giving some pointers based on his experience. He's young and enthusiastic - I vaguely remember the 'young' bit but I'm less sure about the 'enthusiastic' in my past.

I'm not sure I should be ranked as high in his estimation - PDAZ has more badges so definitely has a claim on being the top ranked female player.

He is right in saying that this is a badge I haven't made a serious attempt on, and am not sure that I ever will. Good luck to those who want to try and congratulations to Michael for achieving it.

#812010 - Wed Aug 01 2012 06:37 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
genoveva Offline
Participant

Loc: Schwaz/Tirol Austria       
Congrats on winning this difficult badge, Michael.
Like Dippo, I made my attempt long before I was a centurion - the main ingredients to achieving this badge are, in my opinion, commitment and stamina. I am sure that newbies on the site will find many useful strategies in your post - well done ;o)

#812011 - Wed Aug 01 2012 06:37 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: rossian]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

@ Rossian: Yeah, but, you have more points, and you're Level 170 to her 169, AND you're the reason I'm in a team, *AND* you're IN that team, **AND** you're a more prime example of just how difficult Endurance can be.
That's 5 out of 6. You win. :P

@ Genoveva: There *IS* one ingredient most people overlook that can help, though, and it pertains to Rule 2; what I like to call, "Doing your homework". It may *SOUND* like a childish term, but it helps *SO* much when going for marathon experiences such as Endurance.

Thank you both for your reading and for your feedback, too; If 2 of the people being referenced in it like it, that makes it official; It's not just junk. :P

Edited by Mikey76500 (Wed Aug 01 2012 06:53 AM)

#812012 - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:11 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

England UK         
For me, the main factor in helping me win the badge was none of the above. It was the encouragement of my team mates. They were constantly keeping track of any potential threats, letting me know how near they were, what their latest hourly scoring rate was, and generally cheering me on. Several of my UK team mates at the time also kept me company up till about 3 or 4 in the morning our time; that's what this badge is about, and I probably wouldn't have done it without their help.

#812014 - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:27 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: dippo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
That's very true. Several people kept me company as well and were encouraging me along. It does help enormously to know that your team mates are out there cheering you on.

#812017 - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:31 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Christinap]
bloodandsand Offline
Participant

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
It isn't just team mates. When I won the Endurance Badge I received a lot of PMs from several people who had also amassed a lot of points that day but already had the badge. They gave me encouragement and held back so that I could go on to win it.

#812027 - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:59 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: bloodandsand]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

@ Dippo: Unless they looked at the leaderboards for July 30, My teammates didn't even know I was doing this.
Teamwork can help, sure, but, you **had** to have the free time to do this; It's required that you do.
...and don't say that doesn't matter, because it does. You can't just pop out 35 000 on a work-filled day, you know?

@ Christina: Just saying: I'm not disagreeing with you or Dippo on this point. Of course it would help. Definitely. but, it certainly isn't a requirement, nor is it as vitally important as the 5 points above.
Teamwork isn't *required* in an marathon race made and built for *one* person, if you catch my drift. Your teammates--as helpful and as empowering as they can be--CAN'T bring your score for the day up for you; only *you* can do that.

@ Blood: Now, you have a badge that's named after you, sometimes; "Blood Badge". :P

Edited by Mikey76500 (Wed Aug 01 2012 08:05 AM)

#812031 - Wed Aug 01 2012 08:42 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Mikey, congratulations, but please don't assume that just because you have accomplished this great task, that others have done it *your* way.

I did it before becoming a Centurian, and I did not start just after the FT reset. It was more like 4 a.m. FT time. In addition, I had no 'strategy'. I just played that day, and sometime around 1 p.m., FT time, I realized that I was ahead of everyone else. It was only then, that I *tried* for it. My teammates noticed, on their own, and started offering encouragement. One or two were even there at the end (which was nice, because my children had long since gone to bed, thinking I was crazy, so there was no one at home with whom to celebrate).

One thing to add... The 'official' Brains for the day listing is often behind. If you are going for the Endurance, it's a good idea to actually view your competitors' profiles for up-to-the-minute scores.

#812037 - Wed Aug 01 2012 09:31 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: postcards2go]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Postie, the only assumptions I make are that you didn't start too late and that you had the free time to accomplish this arduous task. Those are the 2 main things that nearly all Endurance winners have in common.
You cannot just stroll in at 1 PM and expect to just run with it. You also can't just can't expect to have the busiest day ever and just run away with it, either.

I haven't even posted the way I earned my Endurance (mostly because I know I'd get negative feedback for it, but, also because I don't wanna attract negative attention from the mods and admins). I only posted what I believe are the most important things to follow when going for it. These are all rules I followed when going for my Endurance, and I truly believe that--if followed properly--it can very much increase your chances.....considering that you don't already *have* Endurance.

Please keep in mind that this topic is to make Endurance at least slightly easier for the people that *don't* have it and/or find it hard to attain.

Edited by Mikey76500 (Wed Aug 01 2012 09:37 AM)

#812064 - Wed Aug 01 2012 10:47 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
malik24 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Somerset UK
My strategy was fairly straightforward.

I played every daily and hourly when available. In between, I did all the '24 hours of...' badgelets that were available at the time. When done with that, I did easy quizzes in For Children and other areas.

It gets a bit brain-busting, but it's actually not that bad. No encouragement either except for one person who spotted what I was doing. Not that I expected any. smile

#812076 - Wed Aug 01 2012 12:27 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: malik24]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I don't think your level makes any difference to endurance, only Gold Membership as all the hourlies and dailies there can add 1000 or so per hour alone. I haven't tried for endurance but may when it gets dark early and rains all day, but I did go for a badgelet of goodness knows how many quizzes on a subject, and did it all in a single day and came second with about 24,000 points, but was 10,000 behind the leader. The badgelet alone plus the usual dailies I play was enough to get endurance a couple of times a week, and had I seen there was a chance of winning I'd have played the other highest scoring hourlies, word wizard etc, and that took me around 14 hours with breaks so needn't be flat out or too widely spread quiz wise.

UN IPCC

#812141 - Wed Aug 01 2012 04:04 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: satguru]
shorthumbz Offline
Participant

Loc: Ohio USA
Hi all - This is my first forum post and I just wanted to say that I was very lucky on the day I won my Endurance badge in that I got it on the first try and had no serious competition. I did start early (which is what I think helps scare off challengers) and had a point goal in mind based on the winning totals from past days. Lots of checking. I echo what many have said about strategies and would encourage attempters to use the ones they are most comfy with. At the time I think I was also working on the Mission Impossible badge so I did a lot of games that contributed to that.

Lastly, I too received much encouragement from teammates and relative strangers who correctly sensed that I was going for the badge and wrote to assure me they would not pass me because they already had the badge. Since then I've had the pleasure of returning that favor to others.

#812150 - Wed Aug 01 2012 04:49 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: shorthumbz]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Before I make any more replies, I just wanna state my opinion on something to the Gold Members reading this topic that *don't* have Endurance thinking that they can automatically get the normal 25,000 and get away with it.

I don't know for sure whether Centurions let people who don't have it slide through if they have a high-enough score for the day; I had 40 082 when I finished my 2nd attempt, so, I never gave any of them the chance to "not pass me". Chance was as little a factor as possible during this attempt.

Let's say that Centurions *DO* back off (again, I dunno if they do, for sure) when you're making a clear attempt at it.
The fact that you may score 22k or 25k or 27k might keep the Centurions who already *have* Endurance off your back, but, it will *NOT* keep *ALL* the diehard, ruthless, "7th attempt" players off your back. Some just don't care that you have 25 000, already. Their mission is just to beat you before you can grab that Endurance for yourself.

There's also the *NEW* members at level 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (and maybe a little higher) who--for all you know--could very well be as smart or even *smarter* than your average Level 105 Centurion. They might like FT so much that day, that they score 25 000-30 000 points *and not even KNOW it*.

Please keep Rule 3 in mind: "Make. No. Assumptions." As long as your body and brain allow it, keep scoring. Take breaks if you need to, but, keep scoring.

Now then:

@ Malik: It depends on what strategy you use, actually; some are way, WAY, *WAAAY* more exhausting than others (I should know), but, those same strategies can allow for more points. Just gotta balance it out to your own personal tastes.

@ Satguru: You're right on that first point; The level doesn't matter diddly; it depends only on your--pardon the pun--Endurance. :P
The rest of the dailies and hourlies can certainly help. Of course. However, I still maintain that the Lord Of Obscurity hourly and the Gold Member Madness daily are not for the faint of heart, nor are they recommended by me--in my humble opinion--to use in a run unless you're already really good at answering near-impossible trivia questions. Those things are too rough.

@ Shorthumbz: Welcome; don't worry, I'm a newbie to the boards, too. :P

#812163 - Wed Aug 01 2012 05:39 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
shortthumbz: that was an EXCELLENT first post ! !
(congrats on the badge too, of course lol)

#812172 - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:12 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: shorthumbz]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Hi, shorthumbz. I echo Jakeroo. An excellent first post. Welcome!

Congratulations on your accomplishments smile

#812285 - Thu Aug 02 2012 01:28 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: postcards2go]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
There are a few non-Gold Members who have the Badge one of the most recent was Alan56, who himself was surprised that just with hourly games and daily games he was able eventually to achieve this feat, but it shows it can be done, although he does admit a couple who already had the badge stopped scoring that day to let him achieve it and this shows the sportsmanship that is about on this site.

#812319 - Thu Aug 02 2012 06:55 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
I don't know for sure whether Centurions let people who don't have it slide through if they have a high-enough score for the day

It would obviously depend on who it is. There is no rule that says they have to and there is no rule that says they can't. The "centurion" thing doesn't matter. I haven't scored over 5,000 points in a day for at least a month, yet I am not only a centurion, but over level 120. Many people score more than 5,000 a day, and they aren't over level 100 (at least not yet).

I very, very rarely look at the top scores unless I am going for Endurance or the Three Keys badge. If I was beating someone who was going for Endurance that day, I would not know it unless they sent me a message (and sometimes it doesn't show when I do get mail).

@ Satguru: You're right on that first point; The level doesn't matter diddly; it depends only on your--pardon the pun--Endurance. :P
The rest of the dailies and hourlies can certainly help. Of course. However, I still maintain that the Lord Of Obscurity hourly and the Gold Member Madness daily are not for the faint of heart, nor are they recommended by me--in my humble opinion--to use in a run unless you're already really good at answering near-impossible trivia questions. Those things are too rough.

In Obscurity, you can get 200 points for 5 correct. With Google (which is not only allowed but encouraged in Obscurity), that is easy, especially with the obscure lyrics that often come up. I didn't use it when I was going for Endurance, but it would have helped.

~(_8(I)

#812431 - Thu Aug 02 2012 03:44 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

I'm aware of the "200 points for 5 right" bonus in Obscurity. That's still not worth the Googling required.

However, I already know beyond a shadow of a doubt that for Endurance purposes, there are much better, much faster and much more effective ways to earn points than to go goofing around with questions that--WAAAY more often than not--go over, around, by, and through my head.

Only the truly gifted should be goofing around with Obscurity, anyway; all the Googling in the world won't prevent the massive time penalties you can rack up. Just saying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong