Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#812015 - Wed Aug 01 2012 07:27 AM Subfolder time?
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
Hi FunTrivians,

Is there a rule of thumb about how many quizzes on a particular topic there can be before a subfolder might be appropriate?

In World-->Government-->Australian Government there are 22 quizzes (about to be a couple more as I'm working on building up the category). Of these, 15 are quizzes about Prime Ministers. Is it too soon for an Australian Prime Ministers subfolder? Does anyone else like putting into folders as much as me? Can you guess I'm a bureaucrat? wink

#812041 - Wed Aug 01 2012 10:08 AM Re: Subfolder time? [Re: lorance79]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
The senior editors in each category probably have their own systems for keeping things organized.

I remember one editor only liked to create two new subcategories at a time, so that the subcategory list had two neat columns. It may be something like that

22 quizzes isn't very many compared to the volume of quizzes that some popular topics generate; likely all of these quizzes would fit on the main page of the (sub)category directory and a player could easily browse the list to find the quizzes that s/he finds interesting. It's when you have six or seven pages of quizzes to look through that creating organized subcategories becomes relevant.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#812044 - Wed Aug 01 2012 10:21 AM Re: Subfolder time? [Re: LadyCaitriona]
AlonsoKing Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Brugge, Belgium
In the sports category I've come across several subfolders with only one quiz in it.

#812057 - Wed Aug 01 2012 10:35 AM Re: Subfolder time? [Re: AlonsoKing]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I have found that for most categories, it takes 3 quizzes to generate a subcategory... But, typically, this is in a much higher up folder (such as "A" authors in "Literature"), one not already super deep in the depths of sub-folders. World-Government-Australian Government is already fairly far down in the subcategories, so it will likely not get any new folders within for at least a while.

#812099 - Wed Aug 01 2012 01:37 PM Re: Subfolder time? [Re: salami_swami]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
It depends on the category and the editors in it. There is no set rule.

#812169 - Wed Aug 01 2012 06:23 PM Re: Subfolder time? [Re: AlonsoKing]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: AlonsoKing
In the sports category I've come across several subfolders with only one quiz in it.

For these, there may have been more in the past that were taken offline. The quizzes may be placed back online in the future and anyway, we can't delete subfolders once they're created, so we just leave them.

Editor for Television Category

#818255 - Sat Aug 25 2012 12:51 AM Re: Subfolder time? [Re: ladymacb29]
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
Ah, I didn't know that there was a significant number of quizzes that had been deleted, hence the prevalence of small sub-categories. Makes a lot of sense. I'll continue plugging away at filling out the existing category, then.

Cheers,
lorance

Moderator:  agony, gtho4