Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#812448 - Thu Aug 02 2012 05:20 PM Re: New Question Game [Re: jmorrow]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
What jmorrow said. The 80% is a target you should aim for. If you always try to write an 80% question, you'll ultimately wind up writing 95%s, 80%s, 60%s and even some 30%s, but trying to hit that target number will result in members creating a higher percentage of usable and varied questions than any other approach.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Aug 02 2012 05:21 PM)

#812449 - Thu Aug 02 2012 05:24 PM Re: New Question Game [Re: WesleyCrusher]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Bubbles, making it a team game gives it more players and also provides more incentive to try and do well without encouraging players to use the big G (which would distort the rankings) just to beat some records (The latter part is why this one doesn't have an individual monthly or other highly competitive badge).

Over the course of 210 games in a month (30 days times 7 players), the variance will to a very large percentage even out and teams will be on an even footing. Besides, other games also have substantial variance between sets (Mind Melt, Pot of Gold...)

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Aug 02 2012 05:25 PM)

#812466 - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:03 PM Re: New Question Game [Re: WesleyCrusher]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I get your point, Wesley, I just disagree. A team fielding 15 active players to get 7 scores is not ever going to mathematically average out against a team playing 30 players for 7 scores when you have such a variance in difficulty. Particularly when so many end up in the same set per day (which is odd), and especially when we are talking about the variable of incorrect questions/answers that throw off a set. Again, I like the game, I like the time penalties, I just think that non-vetted questions should not be a part of a team score. Correct me if I am wrong, but I can not imagine that POG gets the number of corrections that NQ does. And it also begs the question why Obscure would not be a team game, if difficulty isn't an issue.

#812486 - Thu Aug 02 2012 10:18 PM Re: New Question Game [Re: bubblesfun]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Um, isn't it already a team game in the same way easy hard and average are? The top 200 players are scored, first place gets 200, etc?

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#812488 - Thu Aug 02 2012 10:39 PM Re: New Question Game [Re: salami_swami]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Are there a lot of correction notes in easy or hard? I have never had one in either.

#812498 - Thu Aug 02 2012 11:16 PM Re: New Question Game [Re: WesleyCrusher]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
Bubbles, making it a team game gives it more players and also provides more incentive to try and do well without encouraging players to use the big G (which would distort the rankings) just to beat some records

This encouragement clearly isn't working. I really don't want to open up a can of worms about the "big G", but since you've recognized that it's a potential problem... If there is a policy regarding the researching of answers to NQG questions, I would recommend that this be made much more explicit than it is at present.

Edited by abechstein (Thu Aug 02 2012 11:27 PM)

#812525 - Fri Aug 03 2012 01:09 AM Re: New Question Game [Re: abechstein]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: abechstein
This encouragement clearly isn't working. I really don't want to open up a can of worms about the "big G", but since you've recognized that it's a potential problem... If there is a policy regarding the researching of answers to NQG questions, I would recommend that this be made much more explicit than it is at present.

I'm not sure that there's an exact policy the same way as there's no particular policy in PoC (although no-one does it and profits in PoC), but I (personally) would discourage it as it messes up the %age correct.

(I'm hoping I've correctly interpreted what the "big G" is, or this might make no sense whatsoever.)

~(_8(I)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  agony