Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#812438 - Thu Aug 02 2012 04:33 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
You're not trying to win on Obscurity, just get the 200 points - doesn't matter if you get time penalties, though googling shouldn't take that long, because you're not trying to do well in the game, just get five right. Get ten of those in a day and that's 2000 points in much less time than other games. And actually in Obscurity you might manage that with random clicking. Having said that, it's not such a good bargain as it used to be now that quiz questions are worth 15 points each. When I did Endurance, 10/10 would only get you 100 pts so amassing points was much more difficult. 31,000 would have got Endurance yesterday, which with the new point system isn't much at all.

I'm not sure why people make so much fuss about Endurance. It's really not that difficult, and it doesn't take a whole day or anything like it. I didn't start until mid/late afternoon UK time, and while that's nearer the start of the FT day than some would be, it also means the end of the day is closer in real time. I did mine in spurts of an hour/hour and a half with time out for eating and, well, life. I was clear of most people and relatively safe when I saw Triviaballer moving up the points - and if you don't know who that is, I'll just say he could rack up points faster than the server can record them. I had to stay up an extra hour to stare him down across a duelling Instaquiz but my need was greater than his and he gave up in the end, lol.

I'm not quite sure why you won't say how you scored the points and why the mods would care if you did. Endurance is not like the Riddle or Conundrum or even the Treasure, there's no downside to sharing information. I did Brainteasers, other people do For Children, and I assume there are different areas where some people do better than others. It makes no difference - people should find something they find quick and easy, and do it in chunks, with a few games and other things thrown in for variety.

Shorthumbz mentioned what is the most difficult badge as far as I'm concerned, Mission Impossible. Not only do you have to find the quizzes, when you take them you realise there's a reason they're called Impossible or Obscure, and that's because they're not just impossible and obscure but also, in many cases, mind-numbingly awful. The problem is you only realise that when you're halfway through and it would be too much of a waste to stop!

#812439 - Thu Aug 02 2012 04:39 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I won Endurance this past month, with 52,000+ points. I did not start as soon as the day started, and I did not stop as soon as the day ended. I think I played for 16 hours. Started playing at 6am FTT and stopped at 10pm FTT. I took breaks for meals as well. It is certainly not necessary to play for the full 24 hours to be on top. There were a few things that helped me get to the 52,000 points that won me the badge (and could have stopped way before this total, but had ample time, so I continued playing). I think I finished almost 30,000+ points ahead of 2nd place.

Tips:

Badglets: I would suggest are to play quizzes that earn you badglets in the process because in addition to the quiz points you also get points with each badglet you earn. I played quizzes that earned me 15 badglets the day I won endurance, which added about 10,000 points to my quiz points, in badglet bonuses alone.

Difficulty: Playing quizzes with higher difficulty ratings often earns the player a small number of bonus points at completion. The higher the difficulty, the more bonus points there are for playing. So playing Tough, Difficult, Very Difficult, and Impossible quizzes, while harder to get questions correct, gives you free points (even though only 10-30)!

Hourly Games: Playing hourly games awards bonus points, and earn earn even a small amount of points when you get few questions correct. The more you play, the more chances you have to earn points. It takes less than 15 minutes to play all the hourly games each hour, which leaves at least 45 mins left for quiz playing while you wait for the next games to start.

Knowledge: Play quizzes in categories you are knowledgeable about, because this means less time researching answers, and more time scoring points. If you know a category well, it shouldn't be too difficult to score well on the harder quizzes, see above for that.

Research: If there's a quiz on a topic you don't know as well, googling keywords to help you figure out or better guess answers will help you get more questions correct, scoring you more points. FunTrivia does not forbid researching for answers, and it's the best way to learn more about subject, which is a big benefit of playing quizzes!

Questions: If you don't want to play hundreds and hundreds of quizzes in a day, you can cut down on the number of quizzes by playing quizzes with more questions. While the correct answers earn you the same number of points no matter the quiz length, you can play less quizzes for the same number of points. For example: 20 25q quizzes, instead 50 10q quizzes.

I think that's the best advise I can give. I learned so much going for Endurance, and while I will never play that much in a day ever again, it was definitely worth it at the end of that day.

Edited to include more correct information provided by Mikey76500.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Fri Aug 03 2012 08:54 AM)

#812470 - Thu Aug 02 2012 07:37 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: flopsymopsy]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
@ Flopsy: The reason it's regarded as difficult is because it has the potential to be exhausting as heck; I can testify to that.

I can't really imagine what would and wouldn't get the negative attention of a Mod or Admin, since I'm not one, I'm just playing it safe. I don't even wanna give the mods a chance to be mad. As you mentioned, there are rules against revealing the paths to certain Badges. I dunno whether Endurance is one of them, but, you won't catch me taking that chance.

---------------

@ Kaddarsgirl: Your 52 265 point attempt (Which is the highlight of a page in the Hall Of Fame) was what pushed me to finally attempt Endurance in the 1st place, actually, so, thank you. You're basically the reason this topic exists. =)

However, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there your Difficulty point is a tad bit wrong; it only gives you a bonus--which is only 10-30 additional points, anyhoo--if you get a certain percentage right on a quiz that is rated at least "Tough". I'm not entirely sure what that percentage is, but, if you get a 0 or even a 1/5 or even a 2/10, you DON'T get any difficulty bonuses.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Quizzes are rated as such, difficulty-wise; "Very Easy", "Easy", "Average", "Tough", "Difficult", "Very Difficult" and "Impossible", with "Impossible" being the hardest, of course.

Doing any quizzes rated higher than "Difficult" without the proper knowledge beforehand may not get you a bonus at all, and may slow you down. Just saying. Play those at your own risk.

#812473 - Thu Aug 02 2012 08:02 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Mikey76500

However, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there your Difficulty point is a tad bit wrong; it only gives you a bonus--which is only 10-30 additional points, anyhoo--if you get a certain percentage right on a quiz that is rated at least "Tough". I'm not entirely sure what that percentage is, but, if you get a 0 or even a 1/5 or even a 2/10, you DON'T get any difficulty bonuses.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Quizzes are rated as such, difficulty-wise; "Very Easy", "Easy", "Average", "Tough", "Difficult", "Very Difficult" and "Impossible", with "Impossible" being the hardest, of course.

Doing any quizzes rated higher than "Difficult" without the proper knowledge beforehand may not get you a bonus at all, and may slow you down. Just saying. Play those at your own risk.

Good to know. I scored pretty well on the quizzes I played that day, so I got the bonus points for the quizzes I played. It's only a few, but it's something more than just playing a quiz. And your difficulty list is correct. I'm very honored you went for Endurance because of me. That makes me feel really good, thank you smile Oh and I am 21 as well, so yay for young people!

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Thu Aug 02 2012 10:04 PM)

#812555 - Fri Aug 03 2012 05:33 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
I'm aware of the "200 points for 5 right" bonus in Obscurity. That's still not worth the Googling required.

Bear in mind that you should be able to guess 5 correct. While the number of correct guesses you should get decreases with the number you research/know, you should almost definitely be safe with looking up 3 answers.

I just got 8 correct in 62 seconds. I don't think that is above average at all. The ones that I couldn't Google, or couldn't Google quickly, I missed out. Getting over 200 points in 62 seconds is not a waste of time - it's over 3 points per second. That's like getting 10/10 in a normal quiz in 46.5 seconds, and I can't do that on some of the easier quizzes, especially FITB ones.

~(_8(I)

#812558 - Fri Aug 03 2012 05:49 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Perhaps it'd be an achievement under normal standards, but, this isn't gonna matter in an Endurance attempt when there are literally HUNDREDS of different strategies that make even TOUCHING the Obscurity hourly completely obsolete.

It's not needed, nor recommended during an Endurance attempt. In the time that the Obscurity hour takes to switch over, you could score a good 3 000-5 000 points doing other, more enjoyable and more fruitful things that score more points. It's not worth it; research kinda yelled that in my face.

Getting the top score in my division of Piece Of Cake or the Mixed Trivia hourlies can get me up to 300 points or even more all by itself, and it isn't all that hard to get 10 easy questions in under 40 seconds; the hard part is beating people who can do it in HALF that time, but, that's why practice exists. =)

I did my homework properly before I went for Endurance; Googling too much on over-difficult stuff like the Obscurity hourly will only jerk you around in the long run.

Edited by Mikey76500 (Fri Aug 03 2012 05:50 AM)

#812560 - Fri Aug 03 2012 06:29 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

It's not needed, nor recommended during an Endurance attempt. In the time that the Obscurity hour takes to switch over, you could score a good 3 000-5 000 points doing other, more enjoyable and more fruitful things that score more points.

It's not recommended by you. Some of us think it's a perfectly good way to score 2000 or more points in a day's play. It takes no time to "switch over" because you play then click on to something else, no one waits for anything. And if you can get 5000 points in the time it takes me to click on a link in my toolbar then you have to explain how you do it.

Quote:
Getting the top score in my division of Piece Of Cake or the Mixed Trivia hourlies can get me up to 300 points or even more all by itself, and it isn't all that hard to get 10 easy questions in under 40 seconds; the hard part is beating people who can do it in HALF that time, but, that's why practice exists.

So? No one is saying you should do Obscurity instead of another hourly, only that it's easy to do it as well.

Quote:
I did my homework properly before I went for Endurance; Googling too much on over-difficult stuff like the Obscurity hourly will only jerk you around in the long run.

I repeat, if you're doing Obscurity to get Endurance points there's no need to google at all because you're not trying to win the game, just get five right. A quick read through the questions, two or three considered answers, and random clicking for the rest should do that.

#812563 - Fri Aug 03 2012 07:12 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: flopsymopsy]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
It's not recommended by you. Some of us think it's a perfectly good way to score 2000 or more points in a day's play. It takes no time to "switch over" because you play then click on to something else, no one waits for anything. And if you can get 5000 points in the time it takes me to click on a link in my toolbar then you have to explain how you do it.

Exactly.

And Mikey, who are you to say which games are more enjoyable than others? Do I find 10 completely easy questions (PoC) more fun than 15 very difficult questions (Obscurity)? No, and others might not either.

~(_8(I)

#812564 - Fri Aug 03 2012 07:20 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
Well done Mikey smile I think that apart from the drop of blood on that badge, there should also be sweat and tears. It took me a straight 25 hours of sitting with no break ..... never ever again in a million years! smile

#812584 - Fri Aug 03 2012 09:27 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: playmate1111]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

@ Flopsy: As I said in the opening post, only the truly gifted should be anywhere near Obscurity to begin with. Even if you get the measly 5 right, the time it took to google it all isn't worth it.

Let's say you got the 200 point bonus in all of the 24 Obscurities that take place in an entire Endurance attempt. That'd be 4,800 points for googling the correct answers to 120 over-difficult questions in 24 hours.

You can score over 5,000 in *ONE* hour doing quizzes that you DON'T have to Google up. I'm just saying that anything that you need to Google over isn't worth it in a challenge, like Endurance, where time is money--er, points.

There's been multiple times, back when I was originally gifted my Gold Membership (anonymously) where I had to make "educated guesses" on *all 15* Obscurity questions and got only 1 or 2. It's simply not worth it unless you know what you're dealing with, especially when it comes to Endurance.

In my humble opinion, you might as well just stick to Who's The Expert? or Word Wizard; Those are all 15 questions, too, only you'll have an easier and more tolerable time with those, especially during something that *already* is as potentially exhausting as Endurance.

By the by, I meant 5,000 points during an Obscurity shift (one hour).
Though, I wouldn't be surprised if there IS some sorta extremely hidden way to rack up 5,000 points in 60 seconds. I'll let you know if there is such a way.

-------------

@ Adam: By the same token, not everyone is gonna like a game as mind-numbingly difficult as Obscurity.

Some people actually LIKE easy stuff; others--like me--favor medium-to-*slightly* difficult trivia questions. Obscurity in general is too difficult for anyone but only the most expert Googlers and the TRUEST trivia savants.

Go near it during an Endurance attempt at your own peril.

-----------------

@ Playmate: Here, here!

#812603 - Fri Aug 03 2012 10:09 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

I've just done Obscurity for the first time in ages - 10/15 without googling. 201 bonus points and 200 Obscurity bonus = 401 pts in less than 90 seconds. If I did that ten times in a day that's 4000+ points in 15 minutes.

#812605 - Fri Aug 03 2012 10:10 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Quote:
Even if you get the measly 5 right, the time it took to google it all isn't worth it.

You just don't get it... not everyone *needs* to Google, in order to get the 'measly' 5 correct.

Quote:
Go near it during an Endurance attempt at your own peril

It seems that many of us are daredevils, then.

#812617 - Fri Aug 03 2012 10:21 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: postcards2go]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Salami has just done his usual trick of getting 5 correct in 5 seconds. I've got a sneaky suspicion he didn't google. wink

#812618 - Fri Aug 03 2012 10:26 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Obscurity in general is too difficult for anyone but only the most expert Googlers and the TRUEST trivia savants.

@ Flopsy and Postie: That fits you 2 under the latter category, then (True trivia savant).

Argument over. =)

Edited by Mikey76500 (Fri Aug 03 2012 10:39 AM)

#812642 - Fri Aug 03 2012 11:30 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Mikey, I'm an admin.

Unless you were violating the site rules during your drive for Endurance, there's nothing you could reveal that would get you in trouble. This isn't a "trick" badge, where the point is figuring out clues or finding hidden quizzes.

While those attempting to get the badge may find your experience and advice useful, please remember that you are describing *A* way to win the badge, not *THE* way. There's no need for any argument - other players' experiences are as valid as yours.

#812644 - Fri Aug 03 2012 12:18 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

@ Flopsy: As I said in the opening post, only the truly gifted should be anywhere near Obscurity to begin with. Even if you get the measly 5 right, the time it took to google it all isn't worth it.

So 62 seconds is not worth 200 points?

Let's say you got the 200 point bonus in all of the 24 Obscurities that take place in an entire Endurance attempt. That'd be 4,800 points for googling the correct answers to 120 over-difficult questions in 24 hours.

You can score over 5,000 in *ONE* hour doing quizzes that you DON'T have to Google up. I'm just saying that anything that you need to Google over isn't worth it in a challenge, like Endurance, where time is money--er, points.

Let's say I take 2 minutes to complete 1 game of Obscurity (that is more than I usually take, but oh well). That means that I spend 48 minutes and get 4,800 points + any I get extra. I would probably get 10 extra per game, so that's a total of 5,040 points. I spend 12 minutes less and get 40 points extra. No downside whatsoever.

There's been multiple times, back when I was originally gifted my Gold Membership (anonymously) where I had to make "educated guesses" on *all 15* Obscurity questions and got only 1 or 2. It's simply not worth it unless you know what you're dealing with, especially when it comes to Endurance.

You were clearly very unlucky. On average, you should be guessing 3.75 correct.

@ Adam: By the same token, not everyone is gonna like a game as mind-numbingly difficult as Obscurity.

Some people actually LIKE easy stuff; others--like me--favor medium-to-*slightly* difficult trivia questions.

I understand that some people like easy stuff, but you clearly didn't understand that some people like harder stuff. You said
more enjoyable ... things
. That is your opinion, and I was saying that I personally find harder questions more interesting (of course it depends on how interesting the actual facts in both questions are).

Obscurity in general is too difficult for anyone but only the most expert Googlers and the TRUEST trivia savants.

3 people apart from you have added to the Obscurity discussion (me, flopsy and postcards). All 3 of those people have said that they can easily get 5 right in at least most games. I am certainly not an "expert Googler" or a "TRUEST trivia savant". I don't mean to insult flopsy or postcards, but there are better players than them.

If you cannot Google these questions fast enough, then I think you are the odd one out. Assuming you already had a Google tab open, how long would it take you to highlight a line of lyrics, press "Ctrl C", click on the Google tab and press "Ctrl V" and then enter? 5 seconds max, I would think.

~(_8(I)

#812645 - Fri Aug 03 2012 12:38 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
surdoux Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nottinghamshire England UK    
When I went for the endurance badge, although I had some strategies in mind, basically I just 'went for it'. I managed well over 100,000 points, with several hours left in the bag if I had felt like carrying on. Effectively, I set myself a target of 5,000 points an hour, which generally I exceeded. Personally, whatever tactics you employ, the key point is in the name of the badge. i.e. Endurance.

#812646 - Fri Aug 03 2012 12:41 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Quote:
I don't mean to insult flopsy or postcards, but there are better players than them.

Not insulted, Adam. You echo my daily thoughts laugh

#812647 - Fri Aug 03 2012 12:43 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: AdamM7
I don't mean to insult flopsy or postcards, but there are better players than them.

Better than postie? shocked

LOL, no offence taken... though on a good day, with a following wind, and rabbit ears tied back I might do anything. wink

#812648 - Fri Aug 03 2012 01:22 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: surdoux]
Jennings Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: Surrey
England UK
Originally Posted By: surdoux
When I went for the endurance badge, although I had some strategies in mind, basically I just 'went for it'. I managed well over 100,000 points, with several hours left in the bag if I had felt like carrying on. Effectively, I set myself a target of 5,000 points an hour, which generally I exceeded. Personally, whatever tactics you employ, the key point is in the name of the badge. i.e. Endurance.

I remember it Brian well. Brian, Jax and I stayed up til past midnight, cheering you on.

#812655 - Fri Aug 03 2012 01:45 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Jennings]
surdoux Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nottinghamshire England UK    
It was the support I had from all of my team members that kept me going.

#812657 - Fri Aug 03 2012 02:05 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: surdoux]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
As you can see, there is *at least* one admin and *at least* one moderator following this discussion. Please make sure you keep things civil - discussion is welcome, insults are not.

#812666 - Fri Aug 03 2012 05:22 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

@ Agony: BRILLIANT name. No joke.

Anyhoo, I didn't break any rules during the Endurance run; I'm already on borrowed time from Terry himself for a rule I accidentally broke (Having both Mikey76500 and Michael76500--2 accounts. The Michael one has been deleted). The LAST thing I need is getting HIS attention AGAIN.

And I never said that my word was gospel or that my way was the only way; nor have I ever insulted anyone. Heck, I just COMPLIMENTED Flopsy and Postcards.

This topic, which was made to help make Endurance slightly easier for those that don't have it, seems to have started to degenerate into a free-for-all attack on my opinion, which makes no sense. If I wanna have the opinion that Obscurity isn't worth it during an Endurance attempt, I do believe I have the right to have that opinion. I'm not attacking anyone else's opinion, here. Think what you want to and do what you want to during your OWN Endurance attempt; just do so at your own risk.

-----

@ Adam: I notice how you keep quoting things I say as if I said something extraordinarily stupid like, "My way was better than yours", or "If you can't get 40,000 like I did, you suck", or "My word is gospel".

The original post was good advice forming a humble opinion from a 21-year-old kid based on research and careful planning. If you hate it THAT much, don't follow it. If you think it's that wrong, you could always make your own topic like this. It's not required that my opinion be the same as yours, nor is it required that I agree that your opinion is better than mine. If you don't like my opinion, just ignore this topic. You have better things to do today than to try to cram your opinion down my throat.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. I got 40 082 points WITHOUT the mind-numbness that is the Obscurity hourly, and I got Endurance to boot. Trying to cram Obscurity into my subconscious is a waste of both my time and yours. Please stop.

-----------------

@ Surdoux: I'm not saying that just "going for it" is a bad thing, but, I just thought that there's a chance to have better results if you have a plan in mind beforehand.

"fail to prepare, prepare to fail".

-----------------

@ SilverMoon: If you see any insults flying, they won't come from me, I assure you.

#812697 - Fri Aug 03 2012 10:21 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: surdoux]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: surdoux

100,000 is so incredible! I thought I had a lot at 50,000, but wow!

Just as a general thing: I didn't use Obscurity to get extra points for Endurance. I had no idea until reading these posts that there was a 200pt bonus for getting 5 correct. But, if I'd known, I probably would have played that game too. I'm generally a pretty good guesser.

#812701 - Sat Aug 04 2012 12:02 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: surdoux]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
The Girls in their Cheerleading outfits helped as well Brian, well it did me when I got mine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong