Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#812721 - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:20 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Mikey76500
This topic, which was made to help make Endurance slightly easier for those that don't have it, seems to have started to degenerate into a free-for-all attack on my opinion, which makes no sense. If I wanna have the opinion that Obscurity isn't worth it during an Endurance attempt, I do believe I have the right to have that opinion. I'm not attacking anyone else's opinion, here. Think what you want to and do what you want to during your OWN Endurance attempt; just do so at your own risk.

I didn't see it as a "free-for-all attack on [your] opinion". I was stating my opinion, and other people stated theirs, including some people who posted things that had nothing to do with Obscurity. According to SilverMoonsong, an admin and a moderator were/are watching this, and they haven't told us to stop.

@ Adam: I notice how you keep quoting things I say as if I said something extraordinarily stupid like, "My way was better than yours", or "If you can't get 40,000 like I did, you suck", or "My word is gospel".

The original post was good advice forming a humble opinion from a 21-year-old kid based on research and careful planning. If you hate it THAT much, don't follow it. If you think it's that wrong, you could always make your own topic like this. It's not required that my opinion be the same as yours, nor is it required that I agree that your opinion is better than mine. If you don't like my opinion, just ignore this topic. You have better things to do today than to try to cram your opinion down my throat.

You have your opinion, and I have mine. I got 40 082 points WITHOUT the mind-numbness that is the Obscurity hourly, and I got Endurance to boot. Trying to cram Obscurity into my subconscious is a waste of both my time and yours. Please stop.

Okay. I think we've reached a stalemate here. I never meant to "cram Obscurity into [your] subconscious", but if it sounded like I was, I apologise.

I think the original problem came for your tone (or what I thought was your tone). It sounded to me like you were saying that there has been multiple discussions with all the experts about whether Obscurity was a valid or invalid way of earning points during an Endurance attempt. Maybe if you hadn't used words like "research" and "recommended", and had put "opinion" somewhere, then this problem wouldn't have occured (that, of course, is just my opinion - other people may have read it differently, but I'm just trying to stop this from happening again since it's clear that you didn't like it).

And by the way, I have Endurance too. I might not have gotten as many points in the attempt (I think it was in the 30Ks), but I still have my own ideas.

Edit reason: Typo

Edited by AdamM7 (Sat Aug 04 2012 01:21 AM)

~(_8(I)

#812851 - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:20 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I've just though of another tip for a few extra points.

Rating: Always rate quizzes you play when you're done. In addition to adding to your total quizzes rate which can earn you a full badge "Quiz Rater", rating quizzes gives you an additional 20 bonus points per quiz. I believe you have to score at least 2 correct to rate a quiz, but googling should be enough to get to correct if it's on a subject you're not familiar with. Every little bit helps.

#812852 - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:37 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
I would love to get the Endurance Badge and the idea of setting down one time to do it is a really good idea - thanks guys.
I find that in games like Piece of Cake if I do them often enough I start getting the easiest questions wrong which is embarrassing for me but I find that I can often get from five to seven right in the Obscurity - which is strange to me but possibly makes sense, and YES I find it frustrating that people can do PoC in twenty seconds I dont believe my computer can go that fast but oh well more power to others that can - well will set myself a day ok Take Care
Cathy

#812853 - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:42 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: postcards2go]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
OUCH

#812856 - Sat Aug 04 2012 01:55 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: underscored]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Originally Posted By: underscored
OUCH

I had more than one comment. To which are you referring?

#812868 - Sat Aug 04 2012 04:49 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: postcards2go]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
@ Adam: Actually, I DID have a discussion with 2 randomly-picked Gold Members in particular about all the gold-only sections and about how hard they generally are back when I was originally gifted my Gold Membership back in July. It's just as better that they WEREN'T Centurions, now that I think about it, because I got their answer from a point of view like my original post: someone who ISN'T yet a hyper-gifted role model for the rest of us.

They might not have been experts, but, that doesn't mean that I can't take their advice, put it together with mine, and come to a sensible conclusion--not about Obscurity in GENERAL, but, about it's importance (or lack thereof) in an Endurance attempt. Again, you can always ignore my comments if you don't like the way *I* do *my* homework. However, the time where you senselessly have an pointless argument with me about a gold-member-only section of the site with insanely difficult questions that has no mandatory requirement to be included in neither an Endurance attempt nor my opinions needs to stop. Seriously.

Unless of course, you *WANT* the negative attention of people like SilverMoon, Agony and--worst of all--Terry, himself (Who I've already had a close encounter with).

--------------

@ Kaddarsgirl: This is why I say that doing "Very Difficult" and "Impossible" quizzes--difficulty-wise--can hurt you instead of help you during an Endurance attempt. Unless, of course, you know a LOT about that quiz's subject.

And even then, you can certainly still be surprised. :P

Edited by Mikey76500 (Sat Aug 04 2012 08:20 PM)

#812931 - Sat Aug 04 2012 08:52 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
@ Kaddarsgirl: This is why I say that doing "Very Difficult" and "Impossible" quizzes--difficulty-wise--can hurt you instead of help you during an Endurance attempt. Unless, of course, you know a LOT about that quiz's subject.

And even then, you can certainly still be surprised. :P

Not sure what comment you're referring to with this. If it's the rating comment, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. Rating for additional points would apply to any quiz difficulty. It's whether you rate or not, not whether you rate a quiz that is more difficult than another. If you're referring to something else, please explain further, as your comment is a little unclear.

#812939 - Sat Aug 04 2012 09:41 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
Not sure what comment you're referring to with this. If it's the rating comment, I'm not sure why you're bringing it up. Rating for additional points would apply to any quiz difficulty. It's whether you rate or not, not whether you rate a quiz that is more difficult than another. If you're referring to something else, please explain further, as your comment is a little unclear.

What he means is that you have more of a chance to get 2/10 or higher on an easier quiz. For difficult quizzes, you may get a lower score, thus losing the chance to rate. Therefore, there is a risk in playing more difficult quizzes when you are trying to get many points quickly. At least, that's how I understood it.

#812961 - Sat Aug 04 2012 11:13 PM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mariamir]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Leeds West Yorkshire UK       
With regard the the Endurance badge, the clue is in the name of the badge. To get this badge doesn't require the player to achieve maximum scores, nor to have any knowledge of the subject matter of the quiz.

It matters not whether the quiz be 'very difficult' or 'impossible', any points towards the ultimate goal are more than welcome in my humble opinion. No need to agonize over each question in the more difficult quizzes or 'google'.

When I got the Endurance badge, I think I was 'quizzing' for about 16 hours, but not constantly. I had time to cook and eat meals etc...I most certainly wasn't a 'Centurian', this didn't even exist when I got my badge!

I played Obscurity and the more difficult quizzes during my attempt. I don't think these quizzes can 'hurt' or thwart ones efforts, unless you take a long time to do the quizzes by researching answers! No need for research and googling, if you don't know the answer, 'click and go' smile

Each person has their own method for achieving this badge. The main ingredient for success, as far as I am concerned, is setting aside sufficient time, after all you wouldn't attempt to run a marathon in 1.5 hours smile

#812964 - Sun Aug 05 2012 12:00 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: demurechicky]
Mikey76500 Offline
Participant

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
@ Kaddarsgirl: What Mariamir said. Sorry. =)

--------------

@ Mariamir: Lovely name. You were 100% on target, by the by; Thanks for clarifying for me. It's appreciated. =D

--------------

@ Demure: Forgive me, but, I beg to differ.

Very Difficult and Impossible-difficulty Quizzes are almost always just that; Very difficult and/or impossible to get a decent percentage right on. Again, there's no difficulty bonus if you don't get a decent percentage right, and if you get 1 or 2, the 15 or 30 points you get aren't worth it, Endurance-wise.

Normally, the difficulty matters not, I know. However, during an Endurance attempt, time is mone--uh, Points. Wasted time = wasted points; You'd have been better off doing a "Very Easy" quiz, in this instance.

Oh, and it may very well require you to get the maximum points; You never know what kinda day you'll have when doing an Endurance attempt.

Take me, for example: I decided to go for Endurance on July 30; a Monday. I thought that it'd be a slow day; I checked the Hall Of Fame, and some of the lower scores that Kickaha49 had made recently are on Mondays. Heck, the high score for the Monday before my attempt--July 23--was about 21 000, so, I assumed I wouldn't have to work too hard if I went for it on July 30. Bad idea.

I was at 22 000 when I noticed at around 1:00 PM (FT time), that a new member was climbing up the ranks almost as fast as I did. When I checked, he had 18 500, and since there was another 10.5 hours in the day, I had to assume the worst--he could definitely catch me.

So, I went for 30 000, but, the 2nd place player broke 23 000 and was still climbing, so, I had to go for 35 000. Then, when I got there, I just said "To heck with it", and went for 40 000 in case anyone *else* had any ideas.

I never said that you had to quiz for all 24 hours. In fact, the original post even states that taking occasional breaks is okay. But, the reason that I say that you should make no assumptions is because, for all you know, on the day that you decide to go for Endurance, there could be a Mikey76500 or a Kaddarsgirl or even a Surdoux waiting in the wings to implement a strategy of their own that will allow them to do as well as I (or they) did.

If Kaddarsgirl can score 52 265 in one day.....No--if *Surdoux* can score over *100 000* points in one day, someone else certainly can, too.

Don't make assumptions. Leave as little to chance as possible.

#812970 - Sun Aug 05 2012 01:43 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
demurechicky Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Leeds West Yorkshire UK       
Mikey, we shall have to agree to disagree on that. You can easily score 5/10 on a difficult quiz without knowing the subject matter, in a matter of seconds!

As I said, everyone has their own way of playing the endurance badge. No points can be classed as 'wasted' during the endurance challenge. Each day is different with regard to high scores, you adopt your strategy and take your chance.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again...it's not rocket science smile

I was merely commenting that when I did the endurance badge, I quizzed for about 16 hours, I never mentioned that you had to quiz for 24 hours.

It's not a difficult badge to get, hence why over a thousand players have the badge. You just need time, committment and perseverance.

#812971 - Sun Aug 05 2012 01:49 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: Mikey76500]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
@ Adam: Actually, I DID have a discussion with 2 randomly-picked Gold Members in particular about all the gold-only sections and about how hard they generally are back when I was originally gifted my Gold Membership back in July. It's just as better that they WEREN'T Centurions, now that I think about it, because I got their answer from a point of view like my original post: someone who ISN'T yet a hyper-gifted role model for the rest of us.

They might not have been experts, but, that doesn't mean that I can't take their advice, put it together with mine, and come to a sensible conclusion--not about Obscurity in GENERAL, but, about it's importance (or lack thereof) in an Endurance attempt. Again, you can always ignore my comments if you don't like the way *I* do *my* homework. However, the time where you senselessly have an pointless argument with me about a gold-member-only section of the site with insanely difficult questions that has no mandatory requirement to be included in neither an Endurance attempt nor my opinions needs to stop. Seriously.

Unless of course, you *WANT* the negative attention of people like SilverMoon, Agony and--worst of all--Terry, himself (Who I've already had a close encounter with).

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you never told me what those random gold members said. You came to a conclusion, but you never said that it was only your conclusion, and that other people might feel differently about it (until later). I was simply trying to do the same thing as you - help people get Endurance by pointing out ways to get points, with Obscurity being the way to get points.

I didn't see the argument as senseless, and neither did other people, or they wouldn't have joined in (or would have told us to stop). You can come up with your own ideas, opinions and comments, but you never said that they were just your ideas, opinions and comments - as I said in my previous post, you didn't say "opinion", and used vocabulary that implied that you were right and that no-one could possibly prove that Obscurity was worthwhile. A couple of posts ago, you said that "[you] notice how [I] keep quoting things [you] say as if [you] said something extraordinarily stupid". I was copying the words you said and responding to them. Maybe you did say something extraordinarily stupid, but I was not putting words in your mouth - I was picking the phrases I wanted to respond about because those were the ones I had an issue with.

I'm not sure if you're threatening me with talking about SilverMoon etc., but Terry has not posted in this thread, Agony has not told us to stop and SilverMoon only gave us advice to continue arguing in a civil way. In any case, you are part of this argument just as much as me, and if you have attracted the attention of Terry before then I think we know who would get the most attention if this argument was considered uncivil.

I apologise to anyone who's tired of us arguing. I've tried to stop, I even apologised (and I am very stubborn), but I never could let anyone else get the last word.

~(_8(I)

#812973 - Sun Aug 05 2012 02:32 AM Re: The Endurance Badge from my perspective. [Re: AdamM7]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Alrighty then, this thread is closed.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong