Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#813240 - Mon Aug 06 2012 12:24 PM Correction Note vs Compliment Box
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
On the final page of a quiz, where it shows the comprehensive list of questions, answers, and interesting info, there are several links and boxes to send messages to the author. I'm a little confused on which ones to use for which notes that I want to sent the author.

Two links at the bottom of the page are clearly labelled "Send a Compliment" and "Submit a Correction". There is also a link after every individual question saying "I see an error - submit correction..." with two additional options after clicking said link. Along with a text box there are two options "Typo/spelling/grammar" and "Disputing Answer" that show when the link is clicked.

Do the "Submit a Correction" and "I see an error - submit correction" appear the same to the quiz writer when they receive a "Correction Notice"? Is one for an overall observation versus an individual question error?

At the very end of the quiz, is the box where the "Rating" options are, there is a permanent text box, above which are the words "Like this quiz? Let the author know!". Below this box is a small link that says "Or: Click here to Send Author Detailed Note". Does filling in the text box automatically send a note the author as a "Compliment" the same way as the "Send a Compliment" link does, or does it just send is as a note linked to the quiz?

I often will not click the "I see an error - submit correction..." link if I am just offering a suggest to what I think could make a quiz or question better, since often times it's just my opinion, and I don't want the author or editors to have to deal with the "Correction Note".

If I'm typing a note to the player that is this kind of suggestion, I don't want it to be submitted as a compliment necessarily (though sometimes I do, if it was a great quiz apart from one thing). Should I be using the "Send Author Detailed Note" instead? Since I'm note sure which is always the best to use, I tend to be a bit inconsistent.

I hope all of that made sense, and thanks in advance for comments or suggestions as to how to most effective use the system as it is currently set up smile

#813246 - Mon Aug 06 2012 12:40 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: kaddarsgirl]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
At the very end of the quiz, is the box where the "Rating" options are, there is a permanent text box, above which are the words "Like this quiz? Let the author know!". Below this box is a small link that says "Or: Click here to Send Author Detailed Note". Does filling in the text box automatically send a note the author as a "Compliment" the same way as the "Send a Compliment" link does, or does it just send is as a note linked to the quiz?

The text box below the "Like this quiz" line does not send a compliment, but does send a direct message to the author. You'd have to click the link to send an actual compliment (make sure you click the correct radio button before sending).

Some of the other questions you have I will leave for someone else to answer.

#813248 - Mon Aug 06 2012 12:44 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: kaddarsgirl]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
"Submit a Correction" and "I see an error" give almost the same output: a correction note to the author, who has to deal with the issue. The difference is the "I see an error" indicates immediately on which question the note is made, and "Submit a Correction" is more suited for an error that is repeated in several questions.

Editors have made it quite clear in another thread that it is best to use the "I see an error" button, linking the note to the specific question.

As for offering opinions, you're advised not to use the correction notes detailed above. You could use the "Click Here to send author a detailed note" and choose a direct message.

If you click on the "detailed note" bit, you can pick one out of three types of notes : "correction" (not the right type for the opinions you want to express), "compliment" (not what you'd like to send in every instance) or "direct message or followup". It is this latter type you best use to offer some personal insight for quizzes that didn't stirke you as good or better.

#813253 - Mon Aug 06 2012 12:53 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: JanIQ]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
Editors have made it quite clear in another thread that it is best to use the "I see an error" button, linking the note to the specific question.

Could you please link to that other thread so that I may take a look?

#813255 - Mon Aug 06 2012 12:57 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: JanIQ]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Typing in the text box below where you give your rating DOES send the message as a compliment, but it has a different subject line than using the Detailed note option. They both say Compliment! with a smiley face at the top though.

#813258 - Mon Aug 06 2012 01:13 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: kaddarsgirl]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: JanIQ

Could you please link to that other thread so that I may take a look?

Here's one other thread with that feedback.

http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthrea...erro#Post782895

Using the correction at the end of a specific question means the note indicates exactly which question it is about. It also allows editors to use a slightly fasted editing tool in dealing with it. It is generally preferred that you send one for every question with an issue, rather than sending a general corrections note saying that there are multiple errors. If you feel that a general correction is more appropriate, please make sure you specify the questions to which your comments apply, don't just send a message that says 'Too many commas' or (even worse) 'That's not his name' - an editor then has to read every single question carefully to see what you mean. Do not worry about hurting the author's feelings if you need to send multiple notes on a single quiz (I know how much my blood pressure goes up when I see the Corrections waiting! message at the top of my screen, but I have learned to manage it, and try to avoid it by proofreading fanatically before I submit any quiz) - it's a learning experience that can help them write better quizzes in the future.

Under no circumstances should you use the correction note system unless there is an actual error (typo or factual). Suggestions for improvement can be sent as direct messages, but you should be aware that many of the authors who wrote quizzes years ago are no longer active, and will not receive your message. With over 100,000 quizzes online, editors do not generally have time to make old quizzes better - they are too busy editing new and better quizzes.

If you tick that there is a factual error, editors will see your answer to the question, as that may be relevant to the factual dispute. If you tick typo/spelling, they only see the correction message and the author's response, if any.

#813260 - Mon Aug 06 2012 01:39 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: looney_tunes]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
Under no circumstances should you use the correction note system unless there is an actual error (typo or factual). Suggestions for improvement can be sent as direct messages, but you should be aware that many of the authors who wrote quizzes years ago are no longer active, and will not receive your message. With over 100,000 quizzes online, editors do not generally have time to make old quizzes better - they are too busy editing new and better quizzes.

I tend to lean more toward sending a note instead of a correction in most cases, which is why I started this thread, because I wasn't sure as to the correct procedure.

In all honesty, it never even crossed my mind about the authors of some older quizzes not being active. I know I was away from the site for 5 years myself, and so perhaps missed some such notes addressed to me. I don't really pay attention, when playing quizzes, as to what year the quiz was placed online. I just play the ones that grab my attention, regardless. It would probably be a good idea to start looking the posted date, seeing your logic above smile

#813263 - Mon Aug 06 2012 02:09 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: kaddarsgirl]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I tend to lean more toward sending a note instead of a correction in most cases, which is why I started this thread, because I wasn't sure as to the correct procedure.

If there is an actual error that needs correction, you need to use the correction note system to make sure it gets handled. As I said, many authors are not active, so editors attend to correction notes that get sent to them. Editors do not see the direct messages, so will not be aware of any issues raised in them.

#813271 - Mon Aug 06 2012 02:57 PM Re: Correction Note vs Compliment Box [Re: looney_tunes]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'd say don't worry about it too much. Send a compliment or other non-correction note by either of the links, and send correction notes by either of the "report an error" links - that's the important part. We do have preferences, as Looney says, but we can work around it, as long as we see the message.

Please don't send corrections by any other link than an official correction link, or the problem won't get fixed. Authors soon learn to get over having their feelings hurt by seeing a CN. And please don't send comments, suggestions, and general chat by way of the official correction links - that wastes everybody's time.

Moderator:  agony