Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 32 of 51 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 50 51 >
Topic Options
#651010 - Thu Sep 01 2011 01:49 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
Tizzabelle Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
Half-brother
Your answer: a son of your stepparent by a former marriage
A son of a stepparent would be a step-brother not a half brother surely? smile

There's a comedy song around in which a man becomes his own Grandpa through a complicated string of marriages and births. Sure, a half-brother can be a step-brother and a man can become his own grandfather but the question only states that the son is the offspring of a stepparent. Assuming there is a blood connection is assuming facts not in evidence. The son in question is the son of the stepparent "by a former marriage". No blood connection is implied.

#651052 - Thu Sep 01 2011 07:43 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:
No blood connection is implied.

That is precisely why it is wrong. "Half" implies one shared parent, and therefore a blood connection.

#651078 - Thu Sep 01 2011 10:14 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
edit: was a step-posting to the one below.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Sep 01 2011 10:19 AM)

#651079 - Thu Sep 01 2011 10:17 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"a son of your stepparent by a former marriage"
Let's break this down. A 'stepparent by a former marriage' can mean that your were once married and one of your spouse's parents (your in-law) was not a blood relation to your spouse. In this case a 'son of' that situation would be your step-brother-in-law. Also, why doesn't it say 'a son of a stepparent' by a current marriage? The use of former may be entirely inappropriate. A divorce does not sever sibling relations, does it? Isn't that bond, once made on a group of children, unbreakable?

#651085 - Thu Sep 01 2011 10:59 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
Tizzabelle Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
The question says "son of *your* stepparent" not the son of your spouse's stepparent, stepgrandmother or step second cousin twice removed. A half-brother can be a stepbrother but won't be in all cases. The son of a stepparent will always be a stepbrother. It's like the old story of "All dogs have four legs. My cat has four legs. My cat is a dog." What works in one sense won't work in all examples.

Thank Heavens the Brady Bunch never became this complicated wink

#651117 - Thu Sep 01 2011 12:09 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
You've never seen "The Bold and the Beautiful", I suppose? Some of the wives there work their way through marriages with all the males in a family...

#651121 - Thu Sep 01 2011 12:17 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: Tizzabelle]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Please see the link I posted above. A half-brother is not, never will be, a step-brother to the same person. He's one or the other, but not both.

Here's the relevant paragraph from that link:

Quote:
Do you see the difference? If you are the child of my stepparent, you will be either my stepsibling or my half sibling. “Half” means you are the child of my parent and my stepparent; “step” means you are the child of my stepparent and someone else (not my parent). Half siblings have one parent in common; stepsiblings have no parents in common.

My bolding.

Edited by spanishliz (Thu Sep 01 2011 12:20 PM)

#651124 - Thu Sep 01 2011 12:33 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

It's not fair when spanishliz and shuehorn take the same side of an issue. One can't just look at the avatar and know who's saying what. Are you folk step-avatars or half-avatars? Who's the third puppy in that family portrait? A true sibling or just a litter-mate? Or should that be a question for Who Am I?

#651126 - Thu Sep 01 2011 12:35 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Oh, mehaul, thank you so much for the wonderful laugh I just had! But don't you think we're a cute litter of pups, really?

#651130 - Thu Sep 01 2011 01:05 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Adorable.

#651687 - Mon Sep 05 2011 08:20 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Chawbacon
Your answer: an awkward stupid person

an awkward stupid person is the definition for "lummox"

The correct answer was not very intelligent or interested in culture

Basically the same. Maybe they shouldn't be in the same set.

#651698 - Mon Sep 05 2011 10:17 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
They aren't really that close, aside from both being derogatory. Chawbacon refers to mental attributes, while lummox is primarily physical. I wouldn't necessarily have even included the 'stupid' bit in its definition.

#651701 - Mon Sep 05 2011 10:51 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

dictionary.com - lummox - a clumsy, stupid person - (therefore, not just physical attributes)
chawbacon - not very intelligent or interested in culture

They do seem close to me.

#651797 - Tue Sep 06 2011 02:34 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: mehaul
It's not fair when spanishliz and shuehorn take the same side of an issue. One can't just look at the avatar and know who's saying what. Are you folk step-avatars or half-avatars? Who's the third puppy in that family portrait? A true sibling or just a litter-mate? Or should that be a question for Who Am I?

Now it's my turn to laugh! Yes, spanishliz and I may well be step-relatives of some sort. I think we both speak Spanish, and we both love beagles and have had special pooches pass away. It's an honor to be confused with her!

Not meaning to confuse you, though, mehaul! smile

Sue

#651798 - Tue Sep 06 2011 02:36 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
Originally Posted By: spanishliz
Oh, mehaul, thank you so much for the wonderful laugh I just had! But don't you think we're a cute litter of pups, really?

I don't know if it happens to you, but sometimes I'll be reading a post with "my" avatar and I'll say, "I don't remember posting that." Turns out it isn't my post but yours. smile

#651842 - Tue Sep 06 2011 04:19 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: shuehorn]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

I came across this one again. It was actually first mentioned back on page one, in Feb 2010. and then 4 more times since then. It just won't go away.

13. Subject to a palyful hoax or joke
Your answer: play a joke on

typo - playful

#651852 - Tue Sep 06 2011 05:07 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Quote:
I don't know if it happens to you, but sometimes I'll be reading a post with "my" avatar and I'll say, "I don't remember posting that." Turns out it isn't my post but yours.

Yes, I have done that more than one time smile

#651876 - Tue Sep 06 2011 06:46 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: spanishliz]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Ahhhh..... Suddenly, things which previously confused me are making sense....

#654321 - Fri Sep 16 2011 01:45 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: agony]
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle
  Washington USA   
Quote:
A small byte

Your answer: nibble

I'm pretty sure this byte is spelled with an I!

#655470 - Wed Sep 21 2011 05:21 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: CellarDoor]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

12. A line enclosing a plane areas
Your answer: perimeter

Should be singular - area

#655518 - Wed Sep 21 2011 09:58 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: ssabreman
12. A line enclosing a plane areas
Your answer: perimeter

Should be singular - area

If you look at it another way, areas could really refer to multiple areas which all could be enclosed, so I think you are missing the nuance of areas which really makes the statement valid and the game much better. I have my degree in areas, so you really are missing a lot. But, the Yankees won, so it is all moot, or mute as some say. Ha.

#655524 - Wed Sep 21 2011 10:24 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: bubblesfun]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

With the 'a' it should be singular, shouldn't it? 'A line enclosing a plane area'

In your case, you probably want 'A line enclosing plane areas'
Very punny, I'm missing a 'lot'.

I got the answer correct. I just thought it was grammatically incorrect.

#655526 - Wed Sep 21 2011 10:28 PM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
LOL! You are so right on. I am just messing with you after the last few wannabe corrections!!

#655560 - Thu Sep 22 2011 12:39 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: bubblesfun]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

In Differential Calculus it is all the smaller and smaller areas that make up the whole Area (Note cap A vs low case a) enclosed by a line. The real question is "Does the thickness of the line add to the Area or is the Area only that which lies within?" The meditation on this point is why so many math teachers appear to be asleep in class.
---On the other hand---
A line enclosing 'a'(singular) plane area's' (lower case a, plural) is the stripe painted around the sides of aircraft that makes it go faster, which the ssabreman should know! (edit: This would be an even better answer if the typo of the 's' was not an additional letter but a misplaced one, ie, '"a plane's area")

Edited by mehaul (Thu Sep 22 2011 02:13 AM)

#655691 - Thu Sep 22 2011 11:40 AM Re: Word Wizard - Content Issues [Re: bubblesfun]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
...after the last few wannabe corrections!!

hahaha - Mine or yours?

"We mock what we are to become"

Why in heaven's name do you aspire to be me? One of me is enough.

Page 32 of 51 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 50 51 >

Moderator:  Terry