Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#814734 - Sun Aug 12 2012 05:37 PM Well done London - you did good
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
A success I think.. Well done Seb Coe and his team.

#814737 - Sun Aug 12 2012 05:40 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
SOTHC Offline

Loc: Aylesford Kent England UK    
Makes you proud to be British

#814741 - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:11 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: SOTHC]
jabb5076 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia USA
An exceptional Olympic Games. London should be very proud.

#814743 - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:20 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: jabb5076]
ren33 Online   content

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I am quite overwhelmed with national pride at the moment. From the opening to the brilliant closing it went smoothly and was incredibly well organised. Wonderful!

#814776 - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:07 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: ren33]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
London transport survived and no one got blown up.
Good enough for me. laugh

#814797 - Mon Aug 13 2012 04:57 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Jabberwok]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
As I posted on a related thread, I think London and Great Britain did an absolutely marvellous job with these games. Perhaps there were lots of minor irritations or even major problems behind the scenes, but none of it was apparent. The way many of the events showcased the city was truly delightful, although as a cricket fanatic, I'm still coming to terms with archery being permitted on the hallowed turf of Lords! I also loved the opening and closing ceremonies - a really diverse and interesting showcase, all done with style, and at times that quirky and self-deprecating sense of humour.

Well done to everyone concerned - the organizers, volunteers and spectators!!

#814799 - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:20 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: Jabberwok]
vendome Offline
Prolific

Loc: Body: PA USA Heart: Paris   
I don't understand the Olympics. You work hard training and practicing for years at great expense--your sport becomes your whole life. Preparing for the Olympics involves several coaches who can be harshly critical and downright cruel--all for a 2 or 3 minute performance. To not get a medal must be an emotionally shattering experience. What is the goal an Olympian hopes to achieve? Money? Some Olmpians for the more popular endeavors sign lucrative contracts to sell products. Many are never heard from again. Is it to be the best in the world? Chances are you will have that prestige for a few years only.

I'm not minimizing the unbelievable accomplishments of all of the talented men and
women who give up so much to attain, in the grand scheme of things, so little.

#814806 - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:29 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: vendome]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
I'm always proud to be British, but this event was done with style and a good sense of Humour

As the song says "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" and you can't go far wrong

#814813 - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:48 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: pmarney]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Rich, I think it is the taking part more than the medal wins for many athletes. Many are just so proud to be considered good enough to represent their country. I used to know someone who was in the 1972 Olympics, he was very proud to have taken part even though he didn't get a medal.

The Channel Islands had a number of people in the Team GB and although one won a gold medal in the team dressage others really had no hope of winning any medal but were over the moon to be taking part. One of them, Lee Merrien, who was in the marathon yesterday initially wasn't selected for the team as his time in the qualifying races wasn't fast enough but after a petition started by strangers the selection committee permitted him to partake. Lee finished in the first 30 which for him was most satisfactory, it is an experience which will live with him for the rest of his life.

#814814 - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:57 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City
It was really quite well done. The support of the spectators (for *all* the athletes), lining the distance events, was wonderful to see smile

#814815 - Mon Aug 13 2012 06:18 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: postcards2go]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I am not sure what non-Brits made of Delboy and Rodney dressed as Batman and Robin and their exploding car, I am not sure that they will all be familiar with Only Fools and Horses. smile

Edited by sue943 (Mon Aug 13 2012 06:19 AM)

#814817 - Mon Aug 13 2012 06:41 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
ren33 Online   content

Hong Kong      
And I dare say there will be bits of Rio's show that foreigners won't get, and lots of Beijing's was a puzzle. I loved the uniqueness of 2012, we seem to always be so wonderfully different. I think we gave other nationalities enough that was entertaining and familiar, like Mr Bean and James Bond, Queen (X2!} and John Lennon, and we owed it to ourselves to have little in-jokes like Only Fools.

#814818 - Mon Aug 13 2012 06:47 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I am not sure that some people got the connection in the opening ceremony between children's literature and the NHS. For those who didn't, JM Barry wrote Peter Pan and signed over all the royalties to Great Ormond Street Hospital which is world famous as a centre of excellence for very sick children, it is an NHS hospital and some patients and staff from the hospital took part in the ceremony. Article here

#814819 - Mon Aug 13 2012 07:02 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Thanks for that explanation Sue. I for one didn't pick this up.

#814821 - Mon Aug 13 2012 07:20 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: MikeMaster99]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

For all the complaining about NBC's coverage in the U.S., the fact that we saw both the Opening and Closing ceremonies taped, meant that our comentators could explain much of what we saw. I have always appreciated the varied cultures to which the world is exposed every two (including the Winter Olympics) years. Lovely!

#814857 - Mon Aug 13 2012 09:42 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: postcards2go]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Postie did they explain Batman and Robin and the little yellow car to you?

#814877 - Mon Aug 13 2012 10:45 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: postcards2go]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Postcards, I'm glad to hear that, I wondered what others would think of it. I think it was quite edited though. You didn't get the second song from George Michael, I hear. (You missed nothing there!) and did you get The Kinks and Waterloo Sunset? The whole thing live and without ads was over 3 hours long.

I enjoyed it. It was a bit batty but that's half the fun, I guess. cool

Edited by Chavs (Mon Aug 13 2012 10:46 AM)

#814879 - Mon Aug 13 2012 10:50 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: ren33]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: ren33
I am quite overwhelmed with national pride at the moment. From the opening to the brilliant closing it went smoothly and was incredibly well organised. Wonderful!

smile True.

grin & I ended up feeling proud to be a Londoner last night.
(I'm not a Londoner but that's neither here nor there.)

Edited by Chavs (Mon Aug 13 2012 10:51 AM)

#814886 - Mon Aug 13 2012 11:25 AM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: sue943
Postie did they explain Batman and Robin and the little yellow car to you?

They did not. I went back and found the taped bits. Here is what they said:

The face and voice of Michael Caine, from the 1969 film, "The Italian Job", and then the British T.V. characters, Delboy and Rodney, for whatever reason, arrived on the scene

It's quite likely they didn't want to explain further, because a rival network is planning to do a U.S. version of Only Fools and Horses.

Originally Posted By: Chavs
Postcards, I'm glad to hear that, I wondered what others would think of it. I think it was quite edited though. You didn't get the second song from George Michael, I hear. (You missed nothing there!) and did you get The Kinks and Waterloo Sunset? The whole thing live and without ads was over 3 hours long.

I didn't see all of it. NBC, in its 'wisdom', decided that they would let us take an hour break (at 11 p.m.), so they could preview a new program, and let us have our local news (available on other stations). I just couldn't stay awake until 1 a.m. crazy But that's an NBC fault, not a Brit fault!

I did find the ceremonies and the pageantry very original, without being too obscure. I've seen some, where I couldn't understand a thing.

#814899 - Mon Aug 13 2012 12:45 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: postcards2go]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I went to the Games on Friday and it was just as it looked on the television - huge, happy crowds and an almost overwhelming air of celebration. The venues looked superb, and the park was landscaped beautifully - coots on the water, reed beds laid down for natural river maintenance and wildlife habitats, the riotous colours of wild flowers... it all looked wonderful. The volunteers were tremendous, and the whole process from getting on the tube to going through security and later into our event was very smooth despite there being an awful lot of people there. Our only problem was that Friday was a very hot day but I can't really blame Seb Coe for that, lol. I'm putting a few pics into the August thread in the Photography forum (one pic per day) so if you want to see something of what I saw look there. smile

#814901 - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:17 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: flopsymopsy]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Postie, it was a reminder of one of the funniest episodes of the show, if you ever get a chance to see it then be prepared to need a tissue, the tears run down my face - every time it is repeated!

#814903 - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:59 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: sue943]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Flopsy, I'll take a look! Anything to prolong my Olympic 'experience' smile

Sue, I'll look out for it. We do get many of your shows over here.

#814928 - Mon Aug 13 2012 04:21 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: postcards2go]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Delboy and Rodney may be better known than we think.

Only Fools and Horses worldwide

A recurring theme was the happy atmosphere, and the friendliness of the crowds. Competitors went out in the evenings, with their medals, and felt safe, and welcomed.

The commentators on the marathon thought it attracted record crowds. The spectators seem to have been cheering anyone and everyone who deserved cheering, regardless of country of origin. Some commentators have dubbed these the Friendly Games. I think we can live with that! smile
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#814989 - Mon Aug 13 2012 08:50 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: lesley153]
ren33 Online   content

Hong Kong      
I would like to ask , though, where was Zara Philips in the celebrations? She did win a silver medal, but (apologies if she was visible in the photo calls, the video of "Don't Stop Me Now" and all the other fun and games to support Team GB, ) I didn't see her once.

#814990 - Mon Aug 13 2012 09:21 PM Re: Well done London - you did good [Re: flopsymopsy]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I went to the Games on Friday and it was just as it looked on the television - huge, happy crowds and an almost overwhelming air of celebration.

Flopsy, I saw the same thing during our Olympics in 1988....everyone was walking on air, whether they were involved in the Olympics or not. There was so much excitement everywhere you went - a great thing for our little city. I can only imagine how that must have been magnified a hundred fold in London.

I enjoyed it all very much, thankfully was able to download some of the British shows like Olympics Tonight which gives a completely different take on things. The Canadian coverage left a lot to be desired and the American coverage, well, you'd think the Yanks were the only participants!

Well done London - and all who sailed with her! smilee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943