Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#815135 - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:31 PM What's your smoking status?
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I was in a group of six people the other day and I was the only person that didn't smoke. It struck me as odd even though I reckon this area has a larger than average

So have you ever smoked .. still smoke .. or never did?

I gave up about three and a half years ago (and have saved over $15,000 in the process) laugh

#815136 - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:50 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: Copago]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I smoked casually in high school/university, and just kind of stopped. I may again in the future, I don't know, but not as a regular habit (well, hopefully not!)

#815140 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:04 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: guitargoddess]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
I am an ex-smoker, for over six years now. Prior to that I smoked for over 30 years, but in those days, the percentage of smokers was much higher.

I gave up as the result of a dare- a New Years Eve party and a $50 bet with a mate. We are both too stubborn (or too cheap) to take it back up again. Prior to that, I had tried patches, chewing gum and various other means of quitting, but none worked for me.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#815143 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:23 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: ozzz2002]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I used to smoke, for about twenty years from the time I left school. Then one day I just stopped. I didn't tell anyone until a few weeks later when someone offered me a cigarette and I said "no thanks, I don't smoke". Honestly, my giving up nearly killed quite a few people - they all keeled over with shock! wink

#815145 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:27 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: flopsymopsy]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling<br>  Hong Kong     ...
I smoked for 20 years and gave up 15 years ago.
I never actually tried to give up, until I did.
Result? I am vastly overweight, but quite healthy apart from that.

#815152 - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:56 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Smoked for ten years, gave it up nearly thirty years ago. There aren't a lot of smokers around here anymore - or maybe I should say "I don't know if there are a lot of smokers around here anymore." It's illegal to smoke in most public places except outside, so you could know someone for quite some time and not know that they smoke.

#815155 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:03 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: agony]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I started smoking when I was 19 and said that I would give up when there was s definate threat to my health other than it not being good for you. I was diagnosed as diabetic and my GP said that the chances of complications were twice as high for a smoker, I have a half empty packet in the cupboard. That was March 2000 so when I was 52.

#815156 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:05 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: agony]
TabbyTom Offline

Loc: Hastings Sussex England UK    
I smoked an occasional cigarette in my mid-teens, and started smoking fairly heavily in my college days. I finally managed to quit on my third (or possibly fourth) attempt) in my forties, so I haven't smoked for about 23 years. Unlike many ex-smokers, I haven't become an anti-smoking fanatic, and I don't mind at all if people smoke around me.

#815161 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:22 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: TabbyTom]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
I never smoked - I figured it was a waste of my money.

Hubby did suggest once that we take it up. "Why?" I asked, "So we can give it up and have more money" was the reply smile

#815162 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:27 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: TabbyTom]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
I grew up with a smoker (my mother chain-smoked throughout my childhood) and I have always had a visceral reaction of disgust to the sight and smell of cigarettes. My sister has much the same reaction. My theory is that children of smokers either become smokers themselves, or are violently anti-smoking, seldom do they have a take-it-or-leave-it attitude. My mother finally quit about 20 years ago, but now suffers from severe COPD. She tries to tell the family that her 40 years if smoking had nothing to do with it, but we all know better.

#815164 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:31 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: TabbyTom]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
When I was at college I smoked during the summer only (i.e. outside the rugby-playing season). Then after college I smoked only on Wednesdays (which was a 20-hour final production day for a weekly paper I was deputy editor of). Then when I became a full-time community worker I took up smoking full-time too, and smoked 40-50 a day for fifteen years.

I gave up in 2001, the day after huffing, puffing and chainsmoking my way to the summit (and back down again) of Ireland's holy mountain, Croagh Patrick. Was stopping the result of a miracle? No, probably not(!), but it's a nice thought. grin

Like TabbyTom I don't mind being around smokers at all, though I've never been tempted to start smoking again.

#815167 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:35 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: jabb5076]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
"Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a thousand times"
(Mark Twain)

(sometimes attributed as being "hundreds of times", but same sentiment lol)

#815169 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:38 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: Jakeroo]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
I'm with Lones - over 15,800 days smoke free (which means since birth...)

#815172 - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:46 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: WesleyCrusher]
CmdrK Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
I started smoking when I was 12, now and then with friends. Then I smoked all the time when I graduated from high school. So, after a total of 54 years of smoking and several tries at quitting, I quit on Valentine's Day this year. Today marks six months. It's been difficult but I haven't given in. I think I can make it from here. smile

#815179 - Tue Aug 14 2012 06:33 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: CmdrK]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling<br>  Hong Kong     ...
And well done for that! Keep it up! Well done to all of us who gave up.
I am not one of those fusspots either, who fan the air and moan when people smoke around them. Many of us have been there and know the joy of smoking. I could easily smoke ten in a row now.

#815190 - Tue Aug 14 2012 07:17 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: ren33]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Keep it up, CmdrK! laugh

I'm with Ren, I could still smoke now even though I won't. If I was given just a short time to live the first thing I would do is light one up. :p

#815192 - Tue Aug 14 2012 07:21 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: Copago]
CmdrK Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
Yeah, that's hitting the (coffin) nail on the head, you two. Talk about insidious!

#815199 - Tue Aug 14 2012 08:00 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: CmdrK]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I smoked for about a year when i was 18 or 19.
I was trying alot of things then, just because.
There really was nothing appealing about continuing to smoke or drink,
so it was no great effort to quit.
My liver and my lungs thank me every day.

#815208 - Tue Aug 14 2012 09:05 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: george48]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
Never started, and at age 34 now, why bother starting?

#815213 - Tue Aug 14 2012 09:15 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: dg_dave]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Chain smoker from 17 to 19. Got angry at myself for smoking while sick with the flu and smoked 3 at a time. Got so sick, haven't smoked for 40 years.

#815230 - Tue Aug 14 2012 10:05 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: mountaingoat]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I am another ex-smoker who isn't bothered if someone smokes near me. If someone came to stay my home I would just ask that they don't smoke upstairs, a rule that my mother had and that I stuck to myself right up to the time that I quit smoking.

#815232 - Tue Aug 14 2012 10:10 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: Copago]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I've never smoked, and I do try to avoid it whenever possible. I had severe asthma as a kid and cigarette smoke could easily send me into an attack (sometime just the smell on someone's clothes, it was a big trigger). In remission for nearly 10 yrs now, yay! But I'm still very sensitive to smoke, and my nose can pick up the smell from pretty far away.

#815255 - Tue Aug 14 2012 11:55 PM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: kaddarsgirl]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
I am a considerate ex smoker too Sue. I tell my friends they can smoke in my house as long as they don't exhale. lol. In reality I ask them to smoke outside and go out with them. Most smokers I know don't smoke in their own houses because of the lasting stench.

#815259 - Wed Aug 15 2012 12:27 AM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: mountaingoat]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
I smoked for a few years in my teens and twenties. I gave up when a few people said that I would never be able to do it. I always liked a challenge. I went from smoking 40 a day to none at all overnight and it was surprisingly not that difficult to do. The only problem was that I quit at the same time that I had to give up playing rugby due to injury and my weight ballooned. I've never really shifted the weight but I still feel healthier nevertheless.

#815261 - Wed Aug 15 2012 01:01 AM Re: What's your smoking status? [Re: Snowman]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Like jabb5076, I grew up with a chainsmoker. Long car journeys trapped with him puffing away used to make me violently car sick.
So I don't smoke, neither do my brother and sister, or my husband or my children.
He finally managed to give up after a string of health issues including a quadruple bypass and we were all very proud of him.
Easy to be a non-smoker, so much harder to give up. Unless you are flopsy and Snowman of course, with a will of iron! laugh

I hate the way in class, I can tell which children come from a smoking household. Their hair reeks and their bookbags and contents smell, so that marking homework is a real chore and their reading books need airing.

Edited by Jabberwok (Wed Aug 15 2012 01:03 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943